The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mid-tier audio interface with the QUIETEST signal? Audio Interfaces
Old 15th February 2017
Here for the gear

Mid-tier audio interface with the QUIETEST signal?

Hi fellow Slutz, I'm trying to hunt down a new interface for my home studio and I would like your input. I'm open to any suggeston regarding interfaces in the 400-1000USD range.

Problem is:

I LIVE IN AVENIDA PAULISTA IN SAO PAULO

I live dead center on the 12th largest city in the world, in the avenue known for hosting almost 2/3 of our local radio stations. Any weak link in my studio setup may represent a possible hassle. For as long as I can remember I had a faint voice of a preacher in my guitars amp even though I have high-end cables and such . Now I'm facing the same problem with recoding vocals, especially when trying to record with dynamic mics while cranking my gain stage.

So my question is, between the mid-tier interfaces (UAD Apollo Twin Duo, Audient id22, SPL Crimson, etc), which one has the best features for cancelling noise out? (I'm a bit of a noob regarding general electronic components, so that's why I'm asking).

Latency would be my second priority.

Thanks in advance for anyone that offers an input
Old 15th February 2017
Howdy fellow Brazilian!

No interface that I'm aware of has such noise-cancelling features.

Just to be 100% clear: seems like your problem is RF interference, correct? Not "acoustical" interference from the Paulista avenue such as car honks etc, right?

Cheers!
Old 15th February 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by diogo_c View Post
Howdy fellow Brazilian!

No interface that I'm aware of has such noise-cancelling features.

Just to be 100% clear: seems like your problem is RF interference, correct? Not "acoustical" interference from the Paulista avenue such as car honks etc, right?

Cheers!
Hey there, Diogo! Maybe I mislabed it in the translation, but I noticed some of my equipment has much more "clean" gain before the signal starts to pick up something than others, they just handle the interference better. Since all these interfaces seem to be in the same 60-65db ballpark, I was trying to get some input regarding this from other producers and engineers that have a similar experience in big cities.

And yeah, my problem is all about interference, I have little to no problem regarding external noise. I live in an old-office-turned-residential-building and one of the selling points was the noise insulation from the busy neighborhood. My MBP fan is probably a worse offender than any schoolbus around here

PS.: I understand that radio interference can be much more easily solved through reworking and regrounding the electricity in the apartment, but the condo is a little strict in these regards.
Old 15th February 2017
I see. Interfaces wont be dramatically different in that aspect you mentioned, they all have their noise floor figures of course but I think most will be in the same ballpark, especially when you step up from the super cheap stuff. I'm on big city too and I live in one of the busiest parts of the city, had a bunch of different interfaces here and none of them ever picked up anything. Currently using a Babyface Pro, no complaints whatsoever about it other than it looks like an octopus on the desk.

On a side note: since in your situation everything needs to be done "after" the power wallets, have you tried using any power conditioners? Plugging everything to the same wallet?
Old 15th February 2017
Lives for gear
I don't know if more modern USB interfaces have addressed the issue, but I've had horrible experiences with USB audio devices and noise. USB is a crap technology for audio, IMO.
ADAT is really good for noise, because RFI doesn't mess with light!
Old 15th February 2017
OP wants an interface, not a converter.

And no, USB is not a "crap technology".
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search