The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
RME UFX users/experts, diagnostic help needed Audio Interfaces
Old 15th February 2017
Lives for gear

RME UFX users/experts, diagnostic help needed

Hi all,
I have a problem with my RME UFX. This thread is to help rule out that I'm missing something obvious.

* UFX unit and computer connect successfully over USB, so that the Totalmix program is properly interfacing with the hardware. Ie, I move a fader on Totalmix and the corresponding value changes in the hardware.
* However (this is the issue) even when the meters are showing a signal when I play back (main out and phones out), on both Totalmix and the hardware, I'm getting nothing from speakers nor headphones.
* I have ruled out problems in the chain after the UFX (speakers etc), and ruled out problems to do with the computer itsel, as I've successfully used another interface.

Any suggestions on obvious oversights on my part, or is it looking like a hardware fault?
Old 15th February 2017
Lives for gear

Should also mention that I've used the unit for 2 years without an issue, and the problem appeared to occur out of the blue.
Old 15th February 2017
m03
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxisaxis View Post
Any suggestions on obvious oversights on my part
Global mute is enabled?
Old 15th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by m03 View Post
Global mute is enabled?
It is not, but thanks.
Old 15th February 2017
Lives for gear

Update...
I googled this problem and it seems I am not the only one. It sounds likely to be capacitors on the power supply which need replacing. Some people do this themselves. But I contacted the Australian supplier for RME (Innovative Music), and the gent there confirmed it sounds like a power supply issue. They don't do individual caps but replace the power supply board (of course). Cost is roughly $140 AU for a board plus labour (beats replacing a 2k unit I guess). Just leaving this info here for posterity.
Old 15th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi all,
I have a problem with my RME UFX. This thread is to help rule out that I'm missing something obvious.

* UFX unit and computer connect successfully over USB, so that the Totalmix program is properly interfacing with the hardware. Ie, I move a fader on Totalmix and the corresponding value changes in the hardware.
* However (this is the issue) even when the meters are showing a signal when I play back (main out and phones out), on both Totalmix and the hardware, I'm getting nothing from speakers nor headphones.
* I have ruled out problems in the chain after the UFX (speakers etc), and ruled out problems to do with the computer itsel, as I've successfully used another interface.

Any suggestions on obvious oversights on my part, or is it looking like a hardware fault?
Has there ever been an incident where the meters on the UFX screen "froze" at or near peak?
It's quite possible that the 2 capacitors in your UFX psu are dried up and ready to be replaced. I recently replaced my entire UFX psu with a UFX+ psu due to similar erractic, periodic behaviours. All up it cost me around $100 to fix and was good as brand new all over again.
Old 15th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneHall View Post
Has there ever been an incident where the meters on the UFX screen "froze" at or near peak?
It's quite possible that the 2 capacitors in your UFX psu are dried up and ready to be replaced. I recently replaced my entire UFX psu with a UFX+ psu due to similar erractic, periodic behaviours. All up it cost me around $100 to fix and was good as brand new all over again.
Yeah it sounds like you are spot on. After reading threads about this I decided to leave it switched on for a while. Sure enough, eventually started hearing a build up of static (which seemed to be on input and output channels) which after about 5 mins or so resolved down to apparently perfect playback. So yeah that sounds like the issue. Even though it may be functioning now I'll get the powesupply replaced... Only a couple of hunge. Incidentally the RME supplier told me to keep the unit ventilated. It shouldn't be racked without side ventilation.
Old 15th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah it sounds like you are spot on. After reading threads about this I decided to leave it switched on for a while. Sure enough, eventually started hearing a build up of static (which seemed to be on input and output channels) which after about 5 mins or so resolved down to apparently perfect playback. So yeah that sounds like the issue. Even though it may be functioning now I'll get the powesupply replaced... Only a couple of hunge. Incidentally the RME supplier told me to keep the unit ventilated. It shouldn't be racked without side ventilation.
I opted for the UFX+ psu, it has an additional heat shield , other than that it's identical to the UFX original. The advice to side ventilate was also shared with me via my awesome RME service center. I'm guessing mine is about the same age as yours, once I replaced the PSU it was like a brand new unit. Having owned everything from Tascam to Prism, I can honestly say I love my ever loyal and reliable UFX.
My unit was fixed in under ten minutes fwiw, dropped it in, had a chat and before I knew it I was heading home with UFX fully functional.
Old 8th October 2018
Here for the gear

RME UFX ventilation? in 4U Rack

Thanks for info recommending side ventilation for RME UFX
I am about to purchase and would be most grateful for your advice

1) Should I make holes in the rack box side walls to allow ventilation - it will be in a 4U wood frame studio desktop with space above and below it.

2) When the UFX is running is it audible? Fan noise etc
I know this is subjective but I was hoping it would be silent and assume it is not similar volume as say a Win PC tower

3) are there RME options to lower any psu noise

Thanks

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search