The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Why should I buy the Metric Halo Strip? Channel Strip Plugins
Old 26th March 2018
Gear Guru

Fear not the 'broken' tools. Just building some techno with CS3 on pretty much every channel. Still a great strip.
Old 26th March 2018
Lives for gear

I wonder if these aliasing and DC offset hunters have ever properly meassured any sort of analog audio equipment?

Why does every piece of hardware sound like they do.... and in most cases better than their digital equialent.... Are the digital "too clean" or are they properly emulating the HW, inc all its non-linearities (which will definitively show something at -90dBFS)?

How does it sound?... at the task at hand is the real question
Old 27th March 2018
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmucr View Post
Hi Alban,

then feel free to download simple test files from me..
https://app.box.com/s/o2s4vakjqjwh7bhvjvno7vqjwtasw8wp
You'll find two 30s files with 997 Hz sine, -3dBFS in float.. at 48 and 44.1 rates.
It should be possible to import to any DAW.

Then get some good free analyzer.. like Voxengo SPAN and set it similarly like in the attached pic.

If you place some EQ with 32 bit internal precision and set it to some cut with higher Q bellow 100 Hz at the track with generated file, it should be immediately visible at FFT plot.

Michal
Thanks, very helpful.
Old 27th March 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM Grabber View Post
I wonder if these aliasing and DC offset hunters have ever properly meassured any sort of analog audio equipment?

Why does every piece of hardware sound like they do.... and in most cases better than their digital equialent.... Are the digital "too clean" or are they properly emulating the HW, inc all its non-linearities (which will definitively show something at -90dBFS)?

How does it sound?... at the task at hand is the real question
Yep, this is mostly emotion sculpture, not science lab after all.....
Old 24th May 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Yep, this is mostly emotion sculpture, not science lab after all.....
@ Karloff70 I know you're on the One15's (your posts about how they sound coming from Studio 100's helped me decide on them and I'm very happy I did). Now that we have the Amphions and new converters/clock (Antelope Zen Tour), we are hearing WAYYYYYY more than we did before in the same room (retuned for the Amphions). MH CS is my go to utility EQ for most things not mix bus related.

I wanted to see if there was any changes you made to your MH CS starting preset after you started using the Amphions? We've since had to re do almost all of our presets (for the better!) after switching now that we hear things we were not hearing before. It'd be great if you could PM me since we have a few other questions; we'd be happy to pay you for your time. -GI
Old 4th October 2018
Here for the gear
Metric halo rumble question

Hey folks,

MHCH3 is currently on sale for 69 bucks.
Seems like a decent deal. I’ve noticed a lot of GS discussion regarding the question of whether it has a “rumble” problem and may or may not be fully 64 bit. I run PT 2018 on win 10, so all 64 bit. I’m not very technically proficient. So, after reading all the spectrum analyses on GS, I’m still confused. Could someone help summarize the results of this debate, ie, but, don’t buy, rumble, no rumble, what version is recommended?
Thanks in advance.
Sk
Old 8th January 2019
Gear Head

MH CS3 V2 Rumble

Hi Folks,

I don't usually post but this has caught my attention as a user of MH CS. It's a very good channel strip clean and very predictable so it allows for speed and certainty in my workflow. I use it on every channel and without any issues. If I want colour on my signal i will add something before or after depending on what i'm looking for. So as far as sound is concerned I'm [email protected] happy.

Now coming to the rumble, never heard it before. Period. Maybe my ears aren't that good. A spectrum analyzer will tell you one thing, but it's also a program based on a algorithm so there may not be 100% accuracy in it either, and this inaccuracy may be carried through to other manufacturers based on adopting each other's design principles; which we know happens quite a bit in this industry.

My ultimate test would be to use our ears. (1) Setup the plugin and (2) cut 100Hz or wherever the low rumble starts to present itself on the analyzer, then (3) bounce in place/ commit or whatever your DAW feature is for that function so that you end up with a new wave file that should have the rumble within it along with the 1k sine tone. Then (4) use low pass to cut out the sine wave so that you are left with only the rumble. (5) increase the level of the rumble and if you can hear it, then it's the plugin, but if you can't hear it, then the analyzer/ something else is the issue.

Let's try that?

PrichA
Mixing and Mastering Johannesburg - Mixed by PrichA
Old 8th January 2019
Lives for gear

There are a lot of plugins (old and new) that have this “rumble”.
it’s a sign of less than optimal “quality”.
with so many better options, why waste your time...
Old 8th January 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkyfingers View Post
There are a lot of plugins (old and new) that have this “rumble”.
it’s a sign of less than optimal “quality”.
with so many better options, why waste your time...
I hear you, but if it works it works.
Old 24th March 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh_bj View Post
There is a 30-day demo:

http://mhsecure.com/DemoCentral/
BJ, I know you spend an inordinate amount of your waking hours over on the MH list and in the 3d thread on GS. But if you have the time and feel like weighing in here to clear up this question about rumble (or not) in ChannelStrip, it would be enlightening.
Old 29th March 2019
Gear Addict

They'll tell you there is a demo, take it or leave it. They're content with the past glories and the couple of big names vouching for them, from way back in the dinosaur days when there were very limited options esp when it comes to channel strips.

To put it into context, even the Waves Q10 - the oldest plugin in the world - can now run double precision.

As for the comps there is absolutely nothing SSL about them. 3 of the 4 models have a fixed 30ms hold time, which most notably Paul Frindle wrote a great post on why this is extremely unmusical. Take a compressor plugin with a hold knob like Pro-C2 and a/b how the compression sounds with 30ms hold compared to no hold (spoiler - it sounds like ****).The 4th model has a linear response curve which, although it can work on some material, also has nothing to do with the SSL response. (Refer to the Sonnox Dynamics manual for more on this).

I'm saying this because I wish I had this information from the beginning and not waste time with it. Sure, if I had the experience and skills of the likes of Serban Ghenea I'd have found ways to make **** sound good regardless... but if you're lacking in those departments compared to the top dogs then why handicap yourself even more with poor tools when there are way better & affordable options around nowadays?
Old 2nd April 2019
Lives for gear

There is lots of good old plugins:

URS
Bombfactory 76
MDW Eq
Filterbank EQ
Metric Halo
Sonnox

just to name a few... there are probably more clean and clinical eqs around nowadays but, imo... music/sound was/is never about that

For example, I still think BF76 is a really cool sounding plugin, amongst alot others, that was made during the time plugin developers had to please the engineers coming from the outboard world and tape, to me they were trying to make cool sounding plugins, not like today where every developer claims to reproduce a compressor or whatever 100% with noise etc, wtf really?
Old 6th April 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouroki View Post
They'll tell you there is a demo, take it or leave it. They're content with the past glories and the couple of big names vouching for them, from way back in the dinosaur days when there were very limited options esp when it comes to channel strips.

To put it into context, even the Waves Q10 - the oldest plugin in the world - can now run double precision.

As for the comps there is absolutely nothing SSL about them. 3 of the 4 models have a fixed 30ms hold time, which most notably Paul Frindle wrote a great post on why this is extremely unmusical. Take a compressor plugin with a hold knob like Pro-C2 and a/b how the compression sounds with 30ms hold compared to no hold (spoiler - it sounds like ****).The 4th model has a linear response curve which, although it can work on some material, also has nothing to do with the SSL response. (Refer to the Sonnox Dynamics manual for more on this).

I'm saying this because I wish I had this information from the beginning and not waste time with it. Sure, if I had the experience and skills of the likes of Serban Ghenea I'd have found ways to make **** sound good regardless... but if you're lacking in those departments compared to the top dogs then why handicap yourself even more with poor tools when there are way better & affordable options around nowadays?

Still, if you gave me the choice to use any channel strip for my only eq to mix with, it would be either this one or the SSL native. But this has way more balls. And it has a pleasing sound and cuts stuff free in the mix like a feckin scalpel. Most of the others sound plasticky in some way or another in comparison to me.

The compressor isn't utterly amazing, true, but occasionally the smooth one works for something. And a smidge of the limiter can work, too. But just for the eq, this thing still rocks hard for me. There is a reason Serban would have chosen this to use so heavily, it ain't shlt. And it lends itself VERY well to the hype excitement pushing he has all over his work. This thing can soar. Tiny bit of 6k on the vocal.......ssssssoars.....
Old 6th April 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Still, if you gave me the choice to use any channel strip for my only eq to mix with, it would be either this one or the SSL native. But this has way more balls. And it has a pleasing sound and cuts stuff free in the mix like a feckin scalpel. Most of the others sound plasticky in some way or another in comparison to me.

The compressor isn't utterly amazing, true, but occasionally the smooth one works for something. And a smidge of the limiter can work, too. But just for the eq, this thing still rocks hard for me. There is a reason Serban would have chosen this to use so heavily, it ain't shlt. And it lends itself VERY well to the hype excitement pushing he has all over his work. This thing can soar. Tiny bit of 6k on the vocal.......ssssssoars.....
Hard to believe although I do tend to trust your judgment. I used up the demo (then bought then sold) an awful long time ago, but anyway I suppose for $29 one cannot go too wrong as long as one knows what they're in for.
Old 6th April 2019
Gear Guru

You might hate it. But I don't. I like it. Still now.

With plugs I always feel robbed somehow. Especially eq. Maybe because with decent analog eq to me it just doesn't rob any soul from your sound. Might rob something else, but not soul. Not the sense of being there. Plugs all rob that to whatever degree and change the thing. So then it becomes about the trade. What do I lose, what do I gain. With this thing I feel like I actually gain something really quite useful and musical. Compared to other plugs. Where the trade can be abysmal, reality robbed and given some sort of non-place and plastic weirdness. Can be kind of subtle, but all about what it feels like. Is it a place? And this eq lets me do stuff that feels pretty good. It shrinks things a bit and definitely eats quite a chunk of reality. But it puts it in a place that can work well. The strip that eats least reality is the SSL native to me. But it still puts stuff in a place of 'pluginville'. They all do. Man, I wish the plugs would feel like the real boxes.......
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search