The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
I thought I finally decided, but Presonus got in my way
Old 12th February 2017
I thought I finally decided, but Presonus got in my way

Hey everyone.

Not too long ago I finally made my decision to buy a Audient ID14.
Today (yes, only today) I noticed that Presonus is releasing two new interfaces, the Studio 68 and the smaller Studio 26.

Now, The Audient has the typical Audient preamps in it, Burr Brown DAC, it has two hybrid inputs, and a JFET D.I. If it'd only consist of these features, I wouldn't consider it, but it has an ADAT input, which is the main reason I decided on this interface.

On the other hand, Presonus' new Studio 68 has !4! hybrid inputs, XMAX preamps, and all this glitter and shine.

Could anyone help me decide? There's no way I'd use all of the 10 inputs with the Audient, but I thought it's a nice feature if I'd ever need it in the future.
I'm curious about the XMAX vs Audient preamps. Really really curious. Some say that you won't notice a difference until you hit RME level, but I have a Scarlet Solo at the moment.. that'd explain a lot I guess.

Thank you in advance,
Ronnie
Old 12th February 2017
Lives for gear

They are still calling them Burr Brown even 16 years after they were absorbed by Texas Instruments and ceased to exist?
Old 12th February 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.F.F. View Post
They are still calling them Burr Brown even 16 years after they were absorbed by Texas Instruments and ceased to exist?
Haha not sure about that part , but yes , they do call them Burr Brown.

Edit: Yep, "In September 2000, Texas Instruments acquired the company for $7.6 billion USD."
Old 12th February 2017
Lives for gear

The personus is decent value, but the tracking is not good on those, I have the 192, and the conversion and pres are great (super neutral, the audient has more analogue vibe) and the DI is better than the audient, but with effects there is a noticeable lag
Old 12th February 2017
ZEF
Lives for gear
Quote:
and all the TI stuff is made in China, most likely...
Old 12th February 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carabinerx View Post
The personus is decent value, but the tracking is not good on those, I have the 192, and the conversion and pres are great (super neutral, the audient has more analogue vibe) and the DI is better than the audient, but with effects there is a noticeable lag
These new interfaces will rely completely on the same technology as the 192? And the Audient has a better tracking then?
Old 12th February 2017
I might take in consideration a used 192 mobile as well, IF I find one about the same price as those two guys.
Old 12th February 2017
Lives for gear

well that or lower, the 192 is the higher end model so it wont be better than that....it depends what you need it for. I dont think the audient14 is good, I wouldnt go lower than the id22
Old 12th February 2017
Gear Addict

My Audient iD14 is great. I just wish it had two headphone outs!
Old 12th February 2017
Gear Nut

The new PreSonus interfaces are not out yet, so I'm not sure how anyone can provide any actual inputs on quality or performance. One thing is fair to assume and that is the architecture is nothing like the Studio 192 series which rely on DSP for its effects etc. These new ones have no DSP as far as I know.
Old 12th February 2017
Lives for gear

well the 192 is out, and you dont need to use dsp...i dont use it for my effects, thats just an app. They look the same, have the same features and similar specs, are from the same range...what is at all convincing you they are going to be that different!?
Old 12th February 2017
well at least I narrowed it down to the ID14, 192 mobile and the new 26 or 68.

Quote:
well that or lower, the 192 is the higher end model so it wont be better than that....it depends what you need it for. I dont think the audient14 is good, I wouldnt go lower than the id22
Now I'm sure I won't need more than 4 inputs EVER, and I don't plan on making professional recordings, but I do expect a transparent and silent preamp, and especially not dark sounding like my cheap Focusrite.
Old 12th February 2017
Quote:
well the 192 is out, and you dont need to use dsp...i dont use it for my effects, thats just an app. They look the same, have the same features and similar specs, are from the same range...what is at all convincing you they are going to be that different!?
They indeed look almost the same, which is why I hit the brakes with getting the Audient. They look sweet, and if they are as reliable as the 192 (which, imho is/was a huge deal.) I really consider one of them.

I don't want lags though! Especially when working with a lot of effects and synths.
Old 12th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieNine View Post
Haha not sure about that part , but yes , they do call them Burr Brown.

Edit: Yep, "In September 2000, Texas Instruments acquired the company for $7.6 billion USD."
TI did just carry over Burr Brown part numbers for example the BB OPA2134 is now the TI OPA2134 but all ICs which could honestly be called 'Burr Brown' must now be 16 years old.
Old 12th February 2017
Quote:
Hey everyone.

Not too long ago I finally made my decision to buy a Audient ID14.
Today (yes, only today) I noticed that Presonus is releasing two new interfaces, the Studio 68 and the smaller Studio 26.

Now, The Audient has the typical Audient preamps in it, Burr Brown DAC, it has two hybrid inputs, and a JFET D.I. If it'd only consist of these features, I wouldn't consider it, but it has an ADAT input, which is the main reason I decided on this interface.

On the other hand, Presonus' new Studio 68 has !4! hybrid inputs, XMAX preamps, and all this glitter and shine.

Could anyone help me decide? There's no way I'd use all of the 10 inputs with the Audient, but I thought it's a nice feature if I'd ever need it in the future.
I'm curious about the XMAX vs Audient preamps. Really really curious. Some say that you won't notice a difference until you hit RME level, but I have a Scarlet Solo at the moment.. that'd explain a lot I guess.

Thank you in advance,
Ronnie
If you were holding both boxes in front of me I would tell you to kindly put the presonus back in the closet - XMAX pres sound fine for a small PA in a bar, but I cant stand XMAX for recording! Audient pres are awesome they are the same pres... THE SAME ...found in their large format consoles all over the world - I have a ASP800 and its fantastic, I am super happy with my decision to buy it!

Last edited by RightOnRome; 12th February 2017 at 07:30 PM.. Reason: Sorry ASP not ACP
Old 12th February 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightOnRome View Post
If you were holding both boxes in front of me I would tell you to kindly put the presonus back in the closet - XMAX pres sound fine for a small PA in a bar, but I cant stand XMAX for recording! Audient pres are awesome they are the same pres... THE SAME ...found in their large format consoles all over the world - I have a ACP800 and its fantastic, I am super happy with my decision to buy it!
This is why I like GS. So many experienced answers. I heard good things about XMAX pres. But the fact that Audient uses the same preamps in the little ID14 just like in their premium stuff makes me want to scratch my head for days.

I'm going to be honest with you all. I really like PreSonus stuff, and I'd like to have another presonus within my collection, but I don't want to sacrifice sound quality.
Old 12th February 2017
Quote:
TI did just carry over Burr Brown part numbers for example the BB OPA2134 is now the TI OPA2134 but all ICs which could honestly be called 'Burr Brown' must now be 16 years old.
"iD14 delivers the audio performance of a large format console in a compact and elegant desktop package. iD14 provides a pair of world-class Audient console mic pres, class-leading Burr Brown converter technology, console style monitor control, JFET D.I and the revolutionary ScrollControl. With its versatile feature set and intuitive layout, iD14 will become the hub of your studio in no time."
Old 12th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
"iD14 delivers the audio performance of a large format console in a compact and elegant desktop package. iD14 provides a pair of world-class Audient console mic pres, class-leading Burr Brown converter technology, console style monitor control, JFET D.I and the revolutionary ScrollControl. With its versatile feature set and intuitive layout, iD14 will become the hub of your studio in no time."
That's what I read and what started me wondering.
I suspect it is marketing since Burr Brown ICs have a much better reputation in audio circles than Texas Instruments.

Even my local electronics supplier still throws up results if you type in Burr Brown but the pictures invariably show parts clearly branded TI.

The closest I came to a Burr Brown convertor was a TI DF1704 (the companion filter to the PCM1704 dac chip) which employs what TI call 'Burr Brown SoundPlus(tm) but there might be others.
Personally I think the surrounding analogue is at least as important as the chip itself.
Old 12th February 2017
Quote:
That's what I read and what started me wondering.
I suspect it is marketing since Burr Brown ICs have a much better reputation in audio circles than Texas Instruments.

Even my local electronics supplier still throws up results if you type in Burr Brown but the pictures invariably show parts clearly branded TI.

The closest I came to a Burr Brown convertor was a TI DF1704 (the companion filter to the PCM1704 dac chip) which employs what TI call 'Burr Brown SoundPlus(tm) but there might be others.
Personally I think the surrounding analogue is at least as important as the chip itself.
Thanks a lot for the info, means a lot.

At the moment, the BIG battle is between Audient vs XMAX pres. One vote for the Audient so far. The PreSonus has better specs overall, but the built in preamp is important for me as well. Not sure if that "Burr Brown" TI convertor is better that the Presonus', enlighten me.
Old 12th February 2017
Okay just a quick note before I go to bed. The pick has been narrowed down to two contenders: ID14 vs 68

(If I find a 192 used for about 300, I'd definitely jump on it, for what price do those cuties go for used?)

I really need help chosing between these two, though I realize, the 68 is not even out yet! (So better compare it with a 192-ish with less channels?)

For recording, I'd need two REALLY transparent, quiet pres, a maximum of three mic inputs and one DI or line/instrument one. They say Audient has a way better pre.

Here comes the tricky part: most likely I'd use two sets of monitors, and 250 ohms headphones.

Not sure about the convertors.. Not sure about other features, but the 68 comes with Studio One artist, which is very nice for me.
Old 12th February 2017
Lives for gear

You should buy both and return the one you don't like.

For me, there was little to no difference between the Presonus vsl22 and the audient.
Old 12th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks a lot for the info, means a lot.

At the moment, the BIG battle is between Audient vs XMAX pres. One vote for the Audient so far. The PreSonus has better specs overall, but the built in preamp is important for me as well. Not sure if that "Burr Brown" TI convertor is better that the Presonus', enlighten me.
I can't enlighten you as to which is better but there is a test you can do and you can include the mic pres in it.
If you got one at hand loop a short piece of audio through the conversion 50 times and compare the result visually to the original.
That will tell you in the most objective way possible which one is more transparent but you do have to get hold of the things.
Audibly and after careful but necessary level matching the differences will be subtle at most as long as you don't cheat and look! ;-)

Besides that I think every convertor review should include this test.
Some years ago someone had started publishing results on the web but it has since been removed. The results ran from barely changed to hardly recognisable and they did not follow the retail price either.
Old 12th February 2017
Lives for gear

Honestly, the presonus has more of what you need/want, I think it beats the id14 in most ways except the preamps, not that they are worse but that is the area of contention between the two, and I believe the 14 is not the same level as the 22. So if the presonus' preamps are at all like able to you, than its a no brainer. Heres an acoustic guitar in one channel and a mic in the other (its a dark mic so bear that in mind), this is unprocessed except a highpass on the mic and a boost at 10k to normalize it a little. This is the studio 192 mobile

Quote:
I'm leaning towards the PreSonus.. Only thing which draws be back are the pres.
Attached Files

xmax pre.mp3 (1.72 MB, 10291 views)

Last edited by Carabinerx; 14th February 2017 at 03:17 AM..
Old 13th February 2017
Quote:
I can't enlighten you as to which is better but there is a test you can do and you can include the mic pres in it.
If you got one at hand loop a short piece of audio through the conversion 50 times and compare the result visually to the original.
That will tell you in the most objective way possible which one is more transparent but you do have to get hold of the things.
Audibly and after careful but necessary level matching the differences will be subtle at most as long as you don't cheat and look! ;-)

Besides that I think every convertor review should include this test.
Some years ago someone had started publishing results on the web but it has since been removed. The results ran from barely changed to hardly recognisable and they did not follow the retail price either.
How could I do that loop? Seems interesting
Old 13th February 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
I do expect a transparent and silent preamp, and especially not dark sounding like my cheap Focusrite.
PreSonus uses XMAX preamps in all their interfaces. I used them for a while when I used their FireStudio Mobile. They are decent but not any better than what Focusrite uses in most of their interfaces. In fact no contest vs the Audient. One other thing in case it matters is neither PreSonus or Audient have low latency USB drivers. That's fine if your only recording external sources but not so fine if you plan on recording virtual instruments or guitar simms.
Old 13th February 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alndln View Post
PreSonus uses XMAX preamps in all their interfaces. I used them for a while when I used their FireStudio Mobile. They are decent but not any better than what Focusrite uses in most of their interfaces. In fact no contest vs the Audient. One other thing in case it matters is neither PreSonus or Audient have low latency USB drivers. That's fine if your only recording external sources but not so fine if you plan on recording virtual instruments or guitar simms.
Is it worse than a focusrite solo First Gen?
Old 13th February 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Is it worse than a focusrite solo First Gen?
Not sure about those but I was referring to the current Scarlett range which to me was about even in quality but I preferred the Scarlett slightly.
Old 13th February 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alndln View Post
Not sure about those but I was referring to the current Scarlett range which to me was about even in quality but I preferred the Scarlett slightly.
Hmm, talking about the latency.

I'm leaning towards the PreSonus.. Only thing which draws be back are the pres.
Old 13th February 2017
Quote:
Honestly, the presonus has more of what you need/want, I think it beats the audient in most ways except the preamps, not that they are worse but that is the area of contention between the two. So if the presonus' preamps are at all like able to you, than its a no brainer. Heres an acoustic guitar in one channel and a mic in the other (its a dark mic so bear that in mind), this is unprocessed except a highpass on the mic and a boost at 10k so it was little normalized. This is the studio 192 mobile
Got home and finally had a decent listening to that sample. Well, the noise can be heard indeed, but damn, IMHO, it sounds very decent, you could make awesome home recordings with those pres. Do you like your interface?

(PS: nice little tune)
Old 13th February 2017
Lives for gear

The pre's in my SL 16.4.2 never stopped me from recording quality music any more than the ones in my RME UFX or MR 816.
Its all so close and equally adequate.
πŸ“ Reply