The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
2.5 external hdd drives for audio / samples too slow!? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 9th February 2017
  #1
Gear Nut
 

2.5 external hdd drives for audio / samples too slow!?

I just bought a WD 4TB My Passport Pro Portable External Hard Drive - Thunderbolt (2.5 hdd) for all my projects, audio and samples.

This external drive has 2 2.5 hdd's in it so I use 2tb for my logic projects and other data and 2tb for audio and samples.
All I have in my macbook pro retina hard drive is my apps and plugins.

So the problem is when i try to paste the audio from my external hdd, it takes about 5 seconds to load and paste in logic pro X.

I used to use a G technology g drive usb 3.0 (3.5 hdd)for my samples and when i paste the audio from their, it wasn't slow like this.

Is this because of the the 2.5 hdd or the WD drive?
Am I doing this all wrong?

I know alot of producers use the lacie rugged drive but is it also slow like this?

If the loading is slow because of the 2.5 hdd, I'll think about buying a 4tb 3.5 external desktop hard disk and use the WD for only on the road.
Old 11th February 2017
  #2
Gear Nut
 

Any opinions?
Old 11th February 2017
  #3
Lives for gear
 
gussyg2007's Avatar
SSD's all the way for samples/libs/audio
I only ever use spinning disks for backup/time machine etc
Old 12th February 2017
  #4
I have no problem with 2.5" drives. IF they are 7200 RPM that is.
Old 12th February 2017
  #5
Lives for gear
I just checked a review of this drive and it is actually 2 5400 HD's configured for Raid 0. It comes with a disk utility that lets you configure it to Raid 0 or 1 or two independent disks. What I can't seem to find anywhere is if these drives are WD Green-Blue or Black. I doubt they are Black (would cost much more) and most likely Green which are power saving drives. They could also feature IntelliPower (Vari-Speed) like a lot of WD portable drives. In other words they only spin at speeds it deems necessary. In any case Western Digital Portable Drives are great for storage and are not really meant for performance.

Here's a link to the review..........

http://www.macworld.com/article/2366...able-raid.html
Old 12th February 2017
  #6
Gear Nut
 

OMG... I forgot to check if the disks were 5400 or 7200 RPM...
Of course it would be slow if they were 5400.

Thank you Alndln for the great info.

So, I think I would have to buy a new external hdd then...
This external HDD costed so much. arghh

Any good external hdd suggestions for performance?

The reason why I chose this 4TB My passport is because I only wanted to carry 1 external hdd. So I needed 4TB storage and partition it 2 ways for my project data and for my samples.

I would love a portable external HDD but are their any good externals with 4TB and good performance, or I would need to buy a 3.5 desktop external?
And if I would go for a portable external, would I need to buy 2?
Old 14th February 2017
  #7
Gear Nut
 

So I did my little research and this is what I'm thinking.

I have 2 options.

Buy an 500GB or 1TB SSD for project files and use it at home and on the road.
2tb hdd for samples

or buy 2 western digital black hdd and a desktop enclosure and use it at home.
and continue using the WD 4TB My Passport Pro on the road. Carbon copy clone, every time I use the WD my passport.

I usually do my work at home and Ill only be on the road about once in 3 month for writing camps etc.
So I can deal with a little latency when I'm on the road.

Are these the two best options?
Old 14th February 2017
  #8
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamkentz View Post
Any good external hdd suggestions for performance?
Aside from Glyph or La Cie I would go with rolling your own and buy an enclosure and put in whatever you want in it. For WD Black USB 3 is fine. For SSD I'd consider TB.
Old 14th February 2017
  #9
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alndln View Post
Aside from Glyph or La Cie I would go with rolling your own and buy an enclosure and put in whatever you want in it. For WD Black USB 3 is fine. For SSD I'd consider TB.
I'm still thinking if I should get an external hdd or just make my own with an enclosure.

If I'm not going to make my own, I'm thinking of getting a 1TB Atom ssd from Glyph.
https://www.glyphtech.com/product/atom-ssd
Do you think this product is ok for performance?

and for samples, I'll just get a 2tb lacie rugged.
Even though its 5400, its only for samples so it's not much of a deal is it?

And do you have any good choices for the TB and usb 3.0 enclosure if I was to make my own?
Old 14th February 2017
  #10
Lives for gear
 
GeneHall's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by gussyg2007 View Post
SSD's all the way for samples/libs/audio
I only ever use spinning disks for backup/time machine etc
^^This^^.
Old 14th February 2017
  #11
Lives for gear
 
GeneHall's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamkentz View Post
I'm still thinking if I should get an external hdd or just make my own with an enclosure.

If I'm not going to make my own, I'm thinking of getting a 1TB Atom ssd from Glyph.
https://www.glyphtech.com/product/atom-ssd
Do you think this product is ok for performance?

and for samples, I'll just get a 2tb lacie rugged.
Even though its 5400, its only for samples so it's not much of a deal is it?

And do you have any good choices for the TB and usb 3.0 enclosure if I was to make my own?
5400 rpm is not fast enough for real time audio streaming, ever.
I would avoid the Lacie model and look at Samsung Pro.
I used to have a Glyph rack storage unit with 3 drives and it was very reliable.
The key for streaming audio is speed. SSD over USB3 ( ensure chipsets are compatible for real time audio work) or TB is your best bet regarding external.
Libraries are huge and in the course of just a few years, you can find yourself with huge amounts of storage needs.
Old 14th February 2017
  #12
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamkentz View Post
for samples, I'll just get a 2tb lacie rugged.
Even though its 5400, its only for samples so it's not much of a deal is it?
Some people get away with that but it depends on use. Overall it's not ideal and SSD is the way to go for samples especially.

Quote:
And do you have any good choices for the TB and usb 3.0 enclosure if I was to make my own?
I haven't done that in a long time but Microcenter and Newegg seem to have the best selection and prices.

http://www.microcenter.com/category/...closures-Trays

https://www.newegg.com/Hard-Drive-En...Category/ID-92
Old 14th February 2017
  #13
Gear Nut
 

Are their any recommended SSD's?
I am thinking of getting the crucial ones, since they are the cheapest.
Old 14th February 2017
  #14
Gear Addict
 
Dzilizi's Avatar
I have been making my own external drives for years. But I am on Windows and so Thunderbolt has not been an option. I did look once for someone else. The TB enclosures are pretty pricey compared to USB. If you want any more than a 1TB drive, you have to go desktop size because they don't yet make 2TB drives in laptop size at 7200 RPM. The USB 3.0 work pretty fast though. A powered USB hub is also good to use if you are using an external drive. I think the drives don't get enough power directly from the computer hub.

The other thing some do is replace the DVD drive with a second drive. Not sure it is an option for you, since the newer Macs don't even have that. Then a single external drive might be all you need.
Old 15th February 2017
  #15
Gear Nut
 

Is the ssd, going to have a huge speed difference, compared to a WD black drive? I'll be needing 1TB storage.
This will only contain logic project files.
If the speed is only slightly better, I'm thinking of going for the WD black because of the price.
All my projects are pretty heavy with +100 tracks with many plugins.

I have about 2TB samples, so I would have to go with the WD black for this.2TB SSD's are way too pricey for me.

Also, for the enclosure, should I get a thunderbolt or USB3.0?
I heard that for SSD's I should go for a TB enclosure, but for HDD's USB 3.0 is enough.
I'm thinking of going for this
https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/U3DRVDCK2/
Old 15th February 2017
  #16
Lives for gear
 
GeneHall's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamkentz View Post
Is the ssd, going to have a huge speed difference, compared to a WD black drive? I'll be needing 1TB storage.
This will only contain logic project files.
If the speed is only slightly better, I'm thinking of going for the WD black because of the price.
All my projects are pretty heavy with +100 tracks with many plugins.

I have about 2TB samples, so I would have to go with the WD black for this.2TB SSD's are way too pricey for me.

Also, for the enclosure, should I get a thunderbolt or USB3.0?
I heard that for SSD's I should go for a TB enclosure, but for HDD's USB 3.0 is enough.
I'm thinking of going for this
https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/U3DRVDCK2/
You do not need an SSD for project files, really.
Your SAMPLES libraries are highly recommended to be streamed from an SSD. The WD black will be nothing but a hassle in the end, but it's your money and your time. The SSD would ensure your creativity is not pinged to a frustrating persistent interruption via drop outs, samples not loading in real time etc. I can all but promise you the WD will become a source of regret and annoyance in short order. SSD for samples mate, your sanity is worth it
Old 15th February 2017
  #17
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneHall View Post
You do not need an SSD for project files, really.
Your SAMPLES libraries are highly recommended to be streamed from an SSD. The WD black will be nothing but a hassle in the end, but it's your money and your time. The SSD would ensure your creativity is not pinged to a frustrating persistent interruption via drop outs, samples not loading in real time etc. I can all but promise you the WD will become a source of regret and annoyance in short order. SSD for samples mate, your sanity is worth it
Oh so I should be putting the projects to a HDD and the samples to a SSD.
But really, 2TB SSD's are too expensive for me.

My older set up was a macbook pro 2012 with a
256 SSD Crucial_CT240M500SSD1 for OS and programs
1TB HDD HGST HTS721010A9E630 for projects (got rid of the DVD drive and put this HDD in connected with SATA)
2TB USB 3.0 desktop g drive for samples

and there weren't much of a problem with latency.
So I'm thinking maybe 2 WD blacks with a USB 3.0 enclosure or thunderbolt would be ok for me?
Old 15th February 2017
  #18
Gear Nut
 

Also a question here.

Is a partition going to affect the speed?
I have another option of buying a 4TB external thunderbolt desktop drive. G-drive perhaps.
and partition them for 2 TB projects, 2TB samples.

or is it better for me to buy 2 seperate HDDs or maybe a desktop drive with ×2 HDD's?
Old 15th February 2017
  #19
Gear Addict
 
Dzilizi's Avatar
Better to buy 2 2TB drives. Partitions are still the same drive and same parts trying to access different stuff at the same time. Better to have two separate drives with 2 separate access hardware.
Old 16th February 2017
  #20
Gear Nut
 

Ok. So I decided to get a 2TB SSD and 1TB HDD.
Is Samsung evo better than crucial for ssds?
Crucial is cheaper so if theres not much of a difference I'll get a crucial one.
And 2.5 is I think faster than a 3.5 WD black?

and for the enclosure.
Here are my options.
https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/TB2U3DKR2/
https://eshop.macsales.com/item/Othe...ing/MEMDC2KIT/

I know the thunderbolt one would be better, but here too, if the difference is not that big, I would want the cheaper one.

Finally, I think I know what to get for the extreme performance boost.
I'll decide which product to get and I'm ready to go
Top Mentioned Products
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump