The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Multi-track interface for drums Mixers (Digital)
Old 7th February 2017
Here for the gear

Multi-track interface for drums

I'm working on getting into collaborating with a couple friends from around the country and I need an interface.
I'm a drummer and want all mics on separate tracks.
Currently, I have 8 drum mics, but should be 10 or 11, hi-hat and 2 overheads.
I also need connectivity for some electronic drums or triggers. Either stereo and maybe midi might work. Right now, I use the stereo out of a Alesis DM5 module.
My budget is in the neighborhood of $500.

My first thought was to get the Tascam US-20x20, but there are not nearly enough inputs without getting a second one or another piece of equipment.

Aside from getting a full blown digital mixer, like the x32 which is way above budget, I've been looking at the Behringer X Air XR18. The main problem I see is that the sample rate is only 24bit /48khz. I'm very new to this, but most of the interfaces I've been looking at are 96khz or higher.
I don't know if this matters or not with drums.

I have a line on a used Yamaha 01v96 V2 mixer, but I was hoping to clear off my desk. I already have a Mackie cfx20 for analog mixing, but if the Yamaha is a better option, then that's the way I'll go.

I have a few options as far as computers. I'd like to go with either Win10 or even Linux. I'll configure this when I decide on the interface.

Not that it matters, but I also have a Behringer Xenyx 1222usb mixer. The problem with this is the digital interface is strictly 2 channel out.

Thanks in advance.
Old 8th February 2017
Here for the gear

I guess mt question is do you think there is a noticeable difference between 48khz and 96khz for drums?
Old 8th February 2017
Lives for gear

DIFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesterStrike View Post
I guess mt question is do you think there is a noticeable difference between 48khz and 96khz for drums?
Unless you are true audiophile with great hearing I would say no.

Tried this out years ago with pretty much all freq formats and did not really notice a real difference until hitting 192Hz and even then only in certain frequencies. The biggest plus would be during mix down. Just my opinion.
Old 13th February 2017
Gear Addict
The XR18 does a great job recording at either rate 44.1 or 48. With all of the effects, etc. built-in it's a great deal. Quite rugged. 18x18 USB, easy to record to a computer.
Old 14th February 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by facej View Post
The XR18 does a great job recording at either rate 44.1 or 48. With all of the effects, etc. built-in it's a great deal. Quite rugged. 18x18 USB, easy to record to a computer.
Thanks. I really like the windows interface.
I will probably go for the XR18.

I was talking to one of friends and he only has a Tascam DP-02 on his end.
I think to start off, I will use my Xenyx1222usb and record mixed down to 2 tracks while I do some more research and wait for a killer deal on the XR18.
We'll see how my 2 track mix sounds and if I get tired of tweaking levels and multiple takes.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search