The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Need Help With Kontakt Disk Overload Issue
Old 2nd February 2017
Here for the gear

Need Help With Kontakt Disk Overload Issue

I'm not sure if this issue has been addressed by someone else in a different thread but I couldn't find anything specific to my current problem and I could use some advice.

I have been working with MIDI orchestration for a decent number of years using Pro Tools in conjunction with Kontakt and Vienna Ensemble Pro.

I've recently decided to upgrade my strings and woodwinds with Spitfire Audio libraries and it was the best decision I could have made. They sound glorious.

HOWEVER... now that I have these libraries I've decided to rebuild my orchestral template from scratch in order to achieve the best possible sound that I can, but in doing so I've run into some issues.

I'm noticing that I'm getting disk overloads in Kontakt and my instruments are dropping out while playing. This happens the most when my strings are playing long sustained notes together.

According to Kontakt, CPU and RAM are barely being pushed at all. It's Just the disk that's being overloaded.

This concerns me because at the moment all that I have loaded into my template are my strings and woodwinds. I have yet to activate my other instrument sections and my system is already struggling.

I've tried increasing the instrument preload buffer size in Kontakt as well as a few other things and that has helped a bit but I can still see that the disk is being pushed pretty hard with just these two sections loaded. There's no way that I'll be able to add percussion and brass to my template without problems.

So my question is, What is my best course of action to get my system up to par with the demand of these instruments?

Since it's a disk overload issue I assume the problem is my external drive which my sessions currently run on. So should I get a new external drive? if so what would you guys recommend for handling MIDI orchestration and sample libraries?

The other thing that I'm considering is getting another computer to slave to my current computer and use that to host some of my instrument libraries. I know that with Vienna Ensemble Pro I'm able to acheive this.

But will this solve the issue of disk overload in Kontakt? As I've mentioned before, RAM and CPU are virtually unaffected by my strings and woodwinds so I'm wondering if this would even solve the problem...

If someone can help me out it would be highly appreciated!

My Hardware/Software:

- Pro Tools 11
- Late 2012 Mac Pro 12 Core, 64GB RAM
- a Glyph GPT50 external hard drive that I run my sessions on (Here's a link if you need specs)--> https://www.glyphtech.com/product/gpt50
- Vienna Ensemble Pro for hosting instruments on seperate server
Old 2nd February 2017
Gear Addict

Hey, Goldteam.
This has come up a few times in the forums. Try lowering the voice count. I bet that will fix it. If you need more details, check this old thread:

Need help with Kontakt tripping disc overload and dropping notes- please help
Old 3rd February 2017
Here for the gear

Thanks for the reply! I'm going to try this out and hopefully it works.

... So this is actually pretty embarrassing to admit considering I've been doing this for a decently long time... but none of my instruments are installed on my external drive. They're all installed on my main HD. I noticed in the thread that you posted a link to that they should be installed on the external which now that I think about it makes perfect sense. I was always under the impression that saving your PT sessions to the external did the trick but I guess that only really helps with recording in your DAW. Not so much for sample libraries.

To be honest, until now I've been able to get away with it with hardly any trouble at all but Spitfire's libraries have proven to be something not to take lightly.
Old 11th February 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beel Zebub View Post
Hey, Goldteam.
This has come up a few times in the forums. Try lowering the voice count. I bet that will fix it. If you need more details, check this old thread:

Need help with Kontakt tripping disc overload and dropping notes- please help
So I went ahead and tried lowering the voice count on all of my strings and woodwinds as far down as I could without cutting it too close. It seemed to help a little bit but I still do get the disk overload big time when any of the sustained notes are playing.

Then I also copied all of my libraries over to my Glyph external drive and then re-routed all of my instruments in Kontakt to the copies now held in the external. It doesn't seem to have helped really. I still get that disk overload issue. It does become a bit better after a few play throughs (I think because of my instrument preload buffer settings which are set pretty high). But even so, I can't imagine how it's going to handle all of my brass instruments, all of my percussion instruments, and a choir if it's struggling now with only strings and woodwinds loaded up.

There has to be something wrong because I know that people have accomplished far greater tasks with far less RAM and CPU than I have. Plus a 7200 RPM external drive seems to be recommended by just about everyone for running DAW sessions and instruments through.
Old 11th February 2017
Lives for gear

SSD is the best.. I get probs if i use standard HD"S
Old 21st February 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldteamrules View Post

Then I also copied all of my libraries over to my Glyph external drive and then re-routed all of my instruments in Kontakt to the copies now held in the external. It doesn't seem to have helped really. I still get that disk overload issue. It does become a bit better after a few play throughs (I think because of my instrument preload buffer settings which are set pretty high). But even so, I can't imagine how it's going to handle all of my brass instruments, all of my percussion instruments, and a choir if it's struggling now with only strings and woodwinds loaded up.

There has to be something wrong because I know that people have accomplished far greater tasks with far less RAM and CPU than I have. Plus a 7200 RPM external drive seems to be recommended by just about everyone for running DAW sessions and instruments through.
Are you running Kontakt from your external drive? My understanding is it's best to run the software from your computer and have your samples on the external.
Also, as a workaround, you can freeze tracks in Logic to avoid taxing your RAM. You keep mentioning sustained notes, do you have a lot of these stacking up at one time? How low did you lower the voice count? If not too low, then you may try lowering more unless it starts causing a lot of voice stealing.
Old 22nd February 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Are you running Kontakt from your external drive? My understanding is it's best to run the software from your computer and have your samples on the external.
Also, as a workaround, you can freeze tracks in Logic to avoid taxing your RAM. You keep mentioning sustained notes, do you have a lot of these stacking up at one time? How low did you lower the voice count? If not too low, then you may try lowering more unless it starts causing a lot of voice stealing.

Thanks for the reply! I should have updated on here just in case anyone else reading is having issues, I fixed the problem. It turns out that my instrument preload buffer settings in Kontakt were set way too high. I lowered them down all the way as a test and my system handles my heavy duty Kontakt instruments much more smoothly now.

Considering I've only just recently started having major issues after introducing Spitfire's libraries into my template, I think my best course of action is to keep them exclusively on the external and leave my percussion, brass and choir on my main HD for now. They will run problem free without having the strings or woodwinds to share the load with.

But this will be a temporary workaround because I eventually do want to save up for a nice SSD to handle my more demanding libraries and then I can move the rest of my less demanding ones onto my Glyph external.

Thanks again for the help and insight!
Old 22nd February 2017
Gear Addict

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldteamrules View Post
Thanks for the reply! I should have updated on here just in case anyone else reading is having issues, I fixed the problem. It turns out that my instrument preload buffer settings in Kontakt were set way too high. I lowered them down all the way as a test and my system handles my heavy duty Kontakt instruments much more smoothly now.

Considering I've only just recently started having major issues after introducing Spitfire's libraries into my template, I think my best course of action is to keep them exclusively on the external and leave my percussion, brass and choir on my main HD for now. They will run problem free without having the strings or woodwinds to share the load with.

But this will be a temporary workaround because I eventually do want to save up for a nice SSD to handle my more demanding libraries and then I can move the rest of my less demanding ones onto my Glyph external.

Thanks again for the help and insight!
Glad you got it sorted out! Now you can stop fussing with the tech stuff and focus on being creative.
Old 23rd February 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Glad you got it sorted out! Now you can stop fussing with the tech stuff and focus on being creative.
That's the dream!
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search