The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
M-Audio Fast Track Pro upgrade worth it? | Zoom UAC-2 vs Komplete Audio 6 Audio Interfaces
Old 29th January 2017
Here for the gear

M-Audio Fast Track Pro upgrade worth it? | Zoom UAC-2 vs Komplete Audio 6

Having a couple of issues with my old M-Audio Fast Track Pro, I thought about getting a more recent interface.

What's important for me:
1. Low latency
2. Driver stability
3. Headphone output sound quality

After reading up on a couple of interfaces, the Zoom UAC-2 and NI Komplete Audio 6 seem to be really praised for their low latency. Now, I benchmarked my M-Audio FTP using the RTL Utility and the DAWbench benchmarks, but I guess the DAWbench benchmarks are not comparable due to different systems. Viewing the RTL results was rather surprising though.

M-Audio Fast Track Pro:
Buffer__RTL(ms)__Noise Floor
64_____10.493___-99.8
128____13.397___-99.5
256____19.204___-99.8
512____30.825___-99.7

NI Komplete Audio 6:
64_____10.240
128____13.136
256____18.947___-82.2
512____30.557

(NI Komplete Audio 6 data taken from: LLP data base, 256buffer tests)

Is the M-Audio FTP really that good? If so, it doesn't seem like much of an improvement now. I guess having a direct DAWbench comparison would be more helpful now, but I couldn't find it. Most importantly: Can anybody estimate or comment on the VI/DSP performance comparing the FTP to UAC2/Komplete Audio 6 at low latency?

When it comes to the choice between the Zoom UAC-2 and NI Komplete Audio 6, which one would you recommend?

Is the Zoom UAC-2 headphone output quality really that bad? Are the driver issues, both interfaces had, mostly fixed now? Are the Zoom drivers likely less stable than NI?

I'm mostly considering to change, because the FastTrackPro drivers aren't that great and it stops working a couple times a day until restart. Still, if there's not much of a performance improvement to be gained, I might just deal with that.

Thanks, if anybody is able to help.

My system:
Win10 64bit
Cubase 6.5
CPU - i5 3570k
RAM - 32GB DDR3-1600 Crucial
(I'm using lots of sample VIs)
Old 1st February 2018
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scamper View Post
Having a couple of issues with my old M-Audio Fast Track Pro, I thought about getting a more recent interface.

What's important for me:
1. Low latency
2. Driver stability
3. Headphone output sound quality

After reading up on a couple of interfaces, the Zoom UAC-2 and NI Komplete Audio 6 seem to be really praised for their low latency. Now, I benchmarked my M-Audio FTP using the RTL Utility and the DAWbench benchmarks, but I guess the DAWbench benchmarks are not comparable due to different systems. Viewing the RTL results was rather surprising though.

M-Audio Fast Track Pro:
64_____10.493___-99.8
128____13.397___-99.5
256____19.204___-99.8
512____30.825___-99.7

NI Komplete Audio 6:
64_____10.240
128____13.136
256____18.947___-82.2
512____30.557

(NI Komplete Audio 6 data taken from: LLP data base, 256buffer tests)

Is the M-Audio FTP really that good? If so, it doesn't seem like much of an improvement now. I guess having a direct DAWbench comparison would be more helpful now, but I couldn't find it. Most importantly: Can anybody estimate or comment on the VI/DSP performance comparing the FTP to UAC2/Komplete Audio 6 at low latency?

When it comes to the choice between the Zoom UAC-2 and NI Komplete Audio 6, which one would you recommend?

Is the Zoom UAC-2 headphone output quality really that bad? Are the driver issues, both interfaces had, mostly fixed now? Are the Zoom drivers likely less stable than NI?

I'm mostly considering to change, because the FastTrackPro drivers aren't that great and it stops working a couple times a day until restart. Still, if there's not much of a performance improvement to be gained, I might just deal with that.

Thanks, if anybody is able to help.

My system:
Win10 64bit
Cubase 6.5
CPU - i5 3570k
RAM - 32GB DDR3-1600 Crucial
(I'm using lots of sample VIs)
Hi,I had m audio Fast track pro as my first AI.It was good for the time being,but later on it started to produce clicks and pops,was freezing my pc and had to restart it again and again.In two words a piece of *****.Very noisy pre amps.Anyway I had to buy another interface,so I did my home work and bought ZOOM UAC2 a night and day difference.I am very happy and satisfied by this AI,great pres high end AD/DA converters,its build like a tank and handles without problem lots of heavy plugins.Im impressed.Definetely recommending getting one of these.Drivers are rock solid.It sounds amazing!
Old 2nd February 2018
Lives for gear

ive got both and the zoom uac2 outshines the ni interface its brilliant.
ive since upgraded my studioat home and now using an apollo twin duo but im using the zoom uac2 as part of my other studio because i love the low latency and sound im getting,the mic pres are very clean and sound clearer than the ni.
latency wise the zoom is giving me rates as low as 2ms but the ni only gave me 11ms rates any lower and it massivly gave me issues such as clips/crackles .
im giving the ni too my mate because hes starting out and as a first interface or dj or a producer who doesnt use many tracks its ok but if your looking for faster latency better sound then id get the zoom.
Old 2nd February 2018
Gear Nut

Omg I rocked the fast track pro for a long time and I thought it was fine and wouldn't need to upgrade for a while. Well I couldn't have been more wrong. I bought a focusrite scarlet 2i2 usb gen2 and it works so much better and latency on an amp sim I can get down to 1.5 ms rtl now. The fast track couldn't get lower then 12ms. Go buy the focusrite and you will be amazed.
Old 2nd February 2018
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by djwaxxy View Post
ive got both and the zoom uac2 outshines the ni interface its brilliant.
ive since upgraded my studioat home and now using an apollo twin duo but im using the zoom uac2 as part of my other studio because i love the low latency and sound im getting,the mic pres are very clean and sound clearer than the ni.
latency wise the zoom is giving me rates as low as 2ms but the ni only gave me 11ms rates any lower and it massivly gave me issues such as clips/crackles .
im giving the ni too my mate because hes starting out and as a first interface or dj or a producer who doesnt use many tracks its ok but if your looking for faster latency better sound then id get the zoom.
Im planing to get me RME Babyface Pro cause I was impressed by the transaprent clean pres,its costly but its RME.Will keep the ZOOM UAC 2 to use it as a different flavour,cause I really like how it sounds.Here's a link to my tracks all recorded with the ZOOM UAC 2 ,Savana Violenta | Free Listening on SoundCloud
Old 10th February 2019
Here for the gear

USB speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyym View Post
Omg I rocked the fast track pro for a long time and I thought it was fine and wouldn't need to upgrade for a while. Well I couldn't have been more wrong. I bought a focusrite scarlet 2i2 usb gen2 and it works so much better and latency on an amp sim I can get down to 1.5 ms rtl now. The fast track couldn't get lower then 12ms. Go buy the focusrite and you will be amazed.
The latency could be lower because the FTP is USB 1.1 and the scarlet 2i2 is USB 2.0?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search