The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Apogee Element 24 vs. UA Apollo Twin MkII Duo - Please Help!
Old 20th April 2019 | Show parent
  #211
Lives for gear
 
sdelsolray's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassbinoctuplets View Post
That's pretty disappointing considering all the great reviews I heard about the Element series. Not having proper outputs unless I spend $1,500+ is pretty ridiculous. That would of made it a serious contender to UA's smaller thunderbolt interfaces
Yes, if you want/need to use outboard processing, the Element 88 is the simplest one to get from that Series. I use a Lucid 88192 with my Element 46 to reach outboard units.

When I got the 46, the Apogee folks explained that they were attempting to develop a product line with high quality pres, conversion and software control of the unit to keep the price down. By themselves, use of the 24 or 46 basically requires use of only plugins for processing, which is not a bad thing given the quality of many plugins these days.
Old 23rd April 2019 | Show parent
  #212
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
Yes, if you want/need to use outboard processing, the Element 88 is the simplest one to get from that Series. I use a Lucid 88192 with my Element 46 to reach outboard units.

When I got the 46, the Apogee folks explained that they were attempting to develop a product line with high quality pres, conversion and software control of the unit to keep the price down. By themselves, use of the 24 or 46 basically requires use of only plugins for processing, which is not a bad thing given the quality of many plugins these days.
You mean a new product? When I asked them about this they said they can't reveal any future plans lol. I would LOVE something like the Element 88 but in a smaller unit. I don't need so many inputs but need to be able to monitor and use at least 2 outputs at the same time. Something like an updated Quartet would be perfect or just an Element with more outputs
Old 24th April 2019 | Show parent
  #213
Lives for gear
 
djrustycans's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
Yes, if you want/need to use outboard processing, the Element 88 is the simplest one to get from that Series. I use a Lucid 88192 with my Element 46 to reach outboard units.

When I got the 46, the Apogee folks explained that they were attempting to develop a product line with high quality pres, conversion and software control of the unit to keep the price down. By themselves, use of the 24 or 46 basically requires use of only plugins for processing, which is not a bad thing given the quality of many plugins these days.
And how do you find the conversion on the element in comparison to the Lucid? I’ve been strongly considering the element series to get a couple more AD inputs as my Symphony I/O only has 2 analogue inputs and I’m moving towards buying more outboard to go with my silver bullet and ssl bus comp clone.

I’m scared to jump on converters which may be inferior to the Symphony but can’t afford anything high end at the mo. The Element series seems like the only option - I have an Apollo twin (mk1) sat here but have never been 100% convinced by the converters (mainly DA) without ever having done any in depth tests.
Old 29th April 2019
  #214
Lives for gear
 
meymia's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
+1 element
Old 1st May 2019 | Show parent
  #215
Lives for gear
 
sdelsolray's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by djrustycans View Post
And how do you find the conversion on the element in comparison to the Lucid? I’ve been strongly considering the element series to get a couple more AD inputs as my Symphony I/O only has 2 analogue inputs and I’m moving towards buying more outboard to go with my silver bullet and ssl bus comp clone.

I’m scared to jump on converters which may be inferior to the Symphony but can’t afford anything high end at the mo. The Element series seems like the only option - I have an Apollo twin (mk1) sat here but have never been 100% convinced by the converters (mainly DA) without ever having done any in depth tests.
The Element converter circuits are first rate. I understand they are virtually identical to Apogee's current Ensemble product line. The Lucid 88192 is also a great converter. The two units work together seamlessly. No issues there.
Old 22nd October 2019 | Show parent
  #216
Gear Nut
 
Element 24

Hi folks,

Have recently got an element 24. It sounds very very good. At the moment i am
playing around with Garageband while making a decision on either Logic or PT.

While recording there is no perceptable latency that i can hear, however the meters on the Apogee software and also in Garageband are very, very slightly behind. If i hit the strings the meters are very slightly late on reaching peak reading.


Is this normal? Perhaps i have a wrong setting somewhere.


I didn't have this when i had PT 8 and an mbox. The meters were spot on.
i know it probably does make am awful lot of difference i suppose, but it kind of feels a bit wrong.

Any thoughts on this would be great.
Old 9th May 2020
  #217
Apogee elements have DSP and plugins

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWriter View Post
• No DSP’s to run higher demand,
• Not expandable. The Apogee Element is not compatible with any other Apogee product line. Apogee states that compatibility is planned for the future. Two Elements can be used together provided a Thunderbolt port is available for each Element.
• No power switch. This may be minor but really?
They do have DSP!.....no I didn't know this either until they acknowledged it on the D-low with their dual path plugin suite launch. They missed a trick here because that was the only reason to pick UAD...now Apogee is clearly the better value unit for logic users and possibly everyone hamstrung only by its small plugin library.

(@apogee... if you enabled a function that could offload non-apogee plugin processing onto the element DSPs you would again get legendary unit status).

They are expandable - compatible with other elements and the ensemble

100% agree about power switch! Also think it buss power option would take it from great to legendary.
Old 13th May 2020
  #218
Until now I've been extolling the virtues of apogee element as the best value interface unless you need onboard dsp to carry plugin load....then I discover that its had an onboard dsp all along and a plugin suite that is dsp/native switchable!!! All they are missing is a reverb plugin and this makes them undisputed best value unit for mac users.
Old 18th September 2020
  #219
Gear Head
 
ALex F's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
I only read the first 4 pages... but I wonder: did anybody suggest the option to run with the Element for the superior ad/da and pre and then just combine it with a UAD satellite, to use the plugins for mixing? :-D

That´s what I´m thinking of at the moment... and I actually am a happy Apollo Twin TB1 user. In the next month I´m gonna upgrade my mac, then I´ll have TB 3 and I´m not sure if I get the Apollo Twin X quad (with a satellite) or save money with the Element 24 (with a satellite)
Old 18th September 2020 | Show parent
  #220
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALex F View Post
I only read the first 4 pages... but I wonder: did anybody suggest the option to run with the Element for the superior ad/da and pre and then just combine it with a UAD satellite, to use the plugins for mixing? :-D
This is probably the best way to keep your UAD plugs and use other company's interfaces. I've even seen some people carrying Twin for UAD plugs and use different interfaces haha
Old 19th September 2020 | Show parent
  #221
Gear Head
 
🎧 5 years
If you want to track with a great vocal sound (which is vital) , get the Apollo.
Old 20th September 2020 | Show parent
  #222
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALex F View Post
I only read the first 4 pages... but I wonder: did anybody suggest the option to run with the Element for the superior ad/da and pre and then just combine it with a UAD satellite, to use the plugins for mixing? :-D

That´s what I´m thinking of at the moment... and I actually am a happy Apollo Twin TB1 user. In the next month I´m gonna upgrade my mac, then I´ll have TB 3 and I´m not sure if I get the Apollo Twin X quad (with a satellite) or save money with the Element 24 (with a satellite)
Search gearslutz for "Element Crackling" As an Element owner, I can tell you don't subject yourself to the hell that is an apogee interface on a new Mac. There are lots of other options out there. Apogee should rename the Element the Rice Crispy since its known for its "snap, crackle, and pop."
Old 20th September 2020 | Show parent
  #223
Gear Head
 
ALex F's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clbraddock View Post
Search gearslutz for "Element Crackling" As an Element owner, I can tell you don't subject yourself to the hell that is an apogee interface on a new Mac. There are lots of other options out there. Apogee should rename the Element the Rice Crispy since its known for its "snap, crackle, and pop."
Wow, I never would‘ve thought this about Apogee.
Thanks for the hint.

So I should look at the Symphony Desktop or just get me an Apollo Twin X quad.
Old 21st September 2020 | Show parent
  #224
Lives for gear
 
Jay Asher's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALex F View Post
Wow, I never would‘ve thought this about Apogee.
Thanks for the hint.

So I should look at the Symphony Desktop or just get me an Apollo Twin X quad.

I don't have a new Mac so maybe its different but with my Mac the I simply do not nor have I ever had that issue with my Element 24, period.

If you listen to my album "Honestly" (shameless self-promotion, I know) the vocals were all recorded through it and every song was mixed in Logic with it.
Old 21st September 2020
  #225
Gear Maniac
 
It’s a moot point. The Element 24 has been discontinued.
Old 23rd September 2020 | Show parent
  #226
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKahuna View Post
It’s a moot point. The Element 24 has been discontinued.
Well, it still matters to me since I use Element 88 and want to keep it for a long time. But like Jay said, I haven't had any issue with mine.
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 1137 views: 242015
Avatar for homestudioguy
homestudioguy 21 hours ago
replies: 260 views: 65594
Avatar for raymondwave
raymondwave 21st December 2015
replies: 230 views: 55432
Avatar for oøt
oøt 12th December 2020
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump