The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Waves Grand Rhapsody, piano VI
Old 22nd January 2017
Lives for gear

Waves Grand Rhapsody, piano VI

Shaun Martin was demoing Waves' latest VI, an acoustic piano named Grand Rhapsody. It sounds good (although there were audible CPU spikes during the demo), will be available next month at an introductory price of $79

Old 22nd January 2017
Gear Maniac

interesting.

I know many people looking for a small size, go-to piano for live performance.
Old 22nd January 2017
Lives for gear
This piano has been wonderfully sampled by Wavesfactory: https://www.wavesfactory.com/mercury/
Old 23rd January 2017
Here for the gear

That's a different piano.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleer View Post
This piano has been wonderfully sampled by Wavesfactory: https://www.wavesfactory.com/mercury/
The "Wavesfactory Mercury" is a different product from another company. This is about the "Waves Grand Rhapsody". They are both sample libraries of a Fazioli piano though.
Old 24th January 2017
Lives for gear
[B]It's the same piano[/B]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikstephan View Post
The "Wavesfactory Mercury" is a different product from another company. This is about the "Waves Grand Rhapsody". They are both sample libraries of a Fazioli piano though.
The very same Fazioli indeed.
Old 26th January 2017
Lives for gear

Interesting product - I'll have to check it out. But that sure is one lame and stiff sounding MIDI file they play at the end of this video clip... Given how crowded the virtual Piano market is, maybe Waves could put just a tad more thought into their demo material?
Old 26th January 2017
Kinda strange that two sample libraries of the same piano gets released right after each other. Was this a collab perhaps?
Old 26th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassionFlower View Post
Kinda strange that two sample libraries of the same piano gets released right after each other. Was this a collab perhaps?
I don't think Wavesfactory would lower themselves to that extent
Old 1st February 2017
Lives for gear

Release date on this yet?
Old 1st February 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by zephonic View Post
Shaun Martin was demoing Waves' latest VI, an acoustic piano named Grand Rhapsody. It sounds good (although there were audible CPU spikes during the demo), will be available next month at an introductory price of $79

do you think they had the Buffer settings so low that it felt good to the player but the computer could not really handle it ?? i am curious about this piano .. i have the 200 E piano and like it alot ..
Old 2nd February 2017
Tui
Gear Guru

The demo sounds like it has been quantised... Horrible.
Old 2nd February 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui View Post
The demo sounds like it has been quantised... Horrible.
I don't think it's an actual performance in the first place. I think someone just converted the score into midi. They probably pulled it off the Internet or something.
It would really have been worth the little money to pay someone to play it with a bit of feeling,
Old 9th May 2017
Lives for gear

it's out and price is $29 - downloading the demo.
Old 9th May 2017
Lives for gear

Crappy demos - but what other library can you demo? None that I know of. I think that makes up for the demo.
Old 9th May 2017
Lives for gear

It's a great deal, but it seems weird to release a brand new 15gb piano library at such a low price. I know, shut up Twrog!
Old 9th May 2017
I really would like to hear user feedbacks for this instrument.
Old 9th May 2017
Lives for gear

They are obviously focusing on fast-loading and something that will not tank the CPU. I don't think the highest sound quality / depth was the top priority. This is based on the demos which are fairly weak sounding.
Old 9th May 2017
I do wish Waves was more forthcoming with technical specs for their virtual instruments. Bit depth? Sample rate? Velocity layers? These baseline criteria for sampled instruments are noticeably absent from all of their marketing literature and even the manuals. [To be clear, the website says Grand Rhapsody supports 96 kHz, but is this the sample rate? It's vague.]

Whatever. I ended up buying the Electric 200 and Electric 88 and have been very pleased with them. For $29, it's not much risk.

Still, I'd really like to know those specs. Does anyone know?
Old 9th May 2017
Lives for gear

Amen to that. A bit puzzling why that info doesn't seem available.

Also just noticed, after going through all the installation / authorization hoops that it requires OS 10.10 minimum. Bummer for me.

edit: those are requirements for the latest V9 for all plugins. It seems the previous version would run fine.

Last edited by gutr2; 10th May 2017 at 01:50 AM..
Old 10th May 2017
Lives for gear

What's the word? Anybody played her yet?
Old 10th May 2017
Yeah I am waiting, too. Demo songs don't really sound that bad to me - Well for a 29 USD. I am not expecting keyscape level of quality but anything better than standard logic stuff, I will buy. I recently bought element 2 and was super surprised of its sound quality, almost like hardware - exact opposite of Element 1 - which is just a trash.
Old 10th May 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
What's the word? Anybody played her yet?
i have it now, out of the box no way near wavesfactory Mercury, will experiment tomorrow
the best i can say its $29
Old 10th May 2017
Lives for gear
Or even $19 with that $10 survey voucher.
No competition for Wavesfactory's Mercury of course. That one rules the Freddie waves.
Old 10th May 2017
Lives for gear

Right now I'll have to say yeah, $29. I downloaded the HD Samples, but they don't sound very HD to me. I was expecting a lot more than this. All I've done so far is go thru some of the presets, so maybe with some tweaking it can sound better.
Old 10th May 2017
Lives for gear

I picked it up... Gonna play with it later. But if it's "meh" it'll be the last waves VIs I buy... These waves cheapies have yet to impress me yet tbh
Old 10th May 2017
Gear Nut

I missed out on the Wavesfactory Fazioli when it was on sale before. It sounds absolutely beautiful to me. The next time it goes on sale I'm grabbing it. For the money this piano from Waves might be OK, but I'd rather put my money toward something I know is good. Plus the Wavesfactory has those EMI plate impulse responses FTW.
Old 10th May 2017
Lives for gear

Very quick listen tonight.. I think it might sound nice... Certainly a lot of pots and settings to twiddle around!
Old 10th May 2017
Lives for gear

Regular Waves user. And I think they're out of their depth with the VI's. This piano(from the demos) does NOT sound good...
Old 10th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaySoul View Post
Regular Waves user. And I think they're out of their depth with the VI's. This piano(from the demos) does NOT sound good...
This yawning guy in the link does not agree with you.
In the end of the presentation a small comparision between the Waves and Wavefactory products.
The comparision could be better, but
C'moon - who else than Waves could sell this by $ 19?

Waves Grand Rhapsody Review: http://youtu.be/JiSYeZN_OfI
Old 10th May 2017
Lives for gear

Picked this up. Price was good.

But unfortunately no pitch-shift and no tuning options.

So I might just pass this on ...

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search