The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
DAW Interface Performance Measurements with Reaper 5 and Cubase 8.5 and 9 Reverb & Delay Plugins
Old 19th January 2017
Gear Nut

DAW Interface Performance Measurements with Reaper 5 and Cubase 8.5 and 9

I recently performed some performance testing on several audio interfaces with Windows 10 and the current versions of Reaper and Cubase. The DAWbench DSP Universal -2014 download was used with the current 64 bit v.2.36 ReaPlugs Edition of “ReaXcomp - standalone” plugin .

Note that the results differ from than the "RXC" results at Audio Interface - Low Latency Performance Data Base because of the differences in computer, operating system, DAW versions, plug-in version, and audio interfaces/driver versions. Nevertheless, I found them interesting and likely worth sharing.

February 20, 2017 Update:

The Reaper results shown below caused me to erroneously think that Pete Kaine's results must have been with "Anticipative FX processing" off. Pete kindly helped me find the real reason for the difference. As detailed in that linked post , the plugin I used was apparently ~4X more efficient than his. So, dividing my posted results by 4 should provide a much closer correlation with his. As always productive feedback is welcome and encouraged. But, please post any feedback here rather than on that other thread!

I attempted to provide enough information in the attachments so that others could perform their own measurements if they would like to do so. Please don’t hesitate to ask questions if you would like clarification and/or have questions. I encourage others to provide feedback and/or make measurements of their own and post results here to share.

DAW Interface Performance Measurements with Reaper 5 and Cubase 8.5 and 9-rxc-results.jpg

Here's a link to a good explanation of record latency measurement and compensation with Reaper
Attached Thumbnails
DAW Interface Performance Measurements with Reaper 5 and Cubase 8.5 and 9-rxc-results.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DSP-R5-RXC-2448 ReaPlugs 6i6.pdf (1.82 MB, 163 views) File Type: pdf DSP-R5-RXC-2448 ReaPlugs ASIO4ALL.pdf (1.81 MB, 164 views) File Type: pdf ASIO4ALL and 6i6 48k Samples per Second Latencies.pdf (1.82 MB, 141 views)

4+ Cycles of 1 kHz square wave (192-16 wav) imported from Audacity.wav (4.4 KB, 1479 views)

Last edited by AmackG; 20th February 2017 at 07:05 PM.. Reason: Feb. 20, 2017 Update
Old 8th February 2017
Gear Addict

I'm fairly new to the concept of analogue latency -- does this mean that using ASIO4ALL with a USB2 Scarlett interface would mean less realworld latency than the Focusrite drivers?
Old 9th February 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohann View Post
I'm fairly new to the concept of analogue latency -- does this mean that using ASIO4ALL with a USB2 Scarlett interface would mean less realworld latency than the Focusrite drivers?
Thanks for the feedback Rohann!

I really hadn’t considered using ASIO4ALL with audio interfaces other than computers’ internal sound devices (“cards”) because ASIO4ALL doesn’t know the interface’s hardware latencies. The knowledge and accurate reporting of interface input and output latencies is required by DAWs to maintain proper synchronization when monitoring, recording, and playing back audio and/or MIDI. Competent interface designers should know those latencies and have them reported accurately.

But, since you made me curious, I used the RTL Utility to measure my 6i6’s Round Trip Latency (RTL) with ASIO4ALL at 48k Samples/second (S/s) for comparison. With ASIO4ALL at its fastest setting (64 Sample Buffer and no offset), RTL measured 6.741milliseconds (ms). As shown in the chart previously posted the Scarlett driver [with its smallest buffer – 1ms (48 samples)] measured 7.219ms. That’s not a significant difference. Personally, I’m much more concerned about the 6i6’s distortion at 44.1k S/s and 48k S/s than its latency!
Old 9th February 2017
Gear Addict

Thanks for the input! Good points, and thanks for the test.

The more I work with MIDI and VI's the more I'm frustrated with the latency/popping of USB2 Focusrite interfaces.
Old 10th February 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Thanks for the input! Good points, and thanks for the test.

The more I work with MIDI and VI's the more I'm frustrated with the latency/popping of USB2 Focusrite interfaces.
You're welcome

As you can see from the chart in the first post, turning on "ASIO Guard" in Cubase or "Adaptive FX Processing" in Reaper may allow you to reliably use smaller buffer sizes to reduce latency and/or dropouts.

Cubase and Reaper delay MIDI inputs by the reported input latency of the audio interface to help synchronize them with previously recorded media and other inputs when recording and monitoring. If you don't need that, I understand that Reason and Ableton don't do it. If Steinberg fixes Cubase's MIDI "ASIO Latency Compensation" option properly, you should be able to turn it off in Cubase too. You can get Reason to not do it by entering small numbers (like 1 sample) in the "Output and "Input" manual offset" with the "Use audio drive reported latency" box unchecked on the "Recording settings" preference page.

See post 9 for update/correction

Last edited by AmackG; 3rd March 2017 at 06:50 PM.. Reason: Correct Reaper approach, add link
Old 10th February 2017
Gear Addict

Any idea if there are many options that allow one to do something similar in Studio One? I can't think of any options off the top of my head.
Old 10th February 2017
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmackG View Post
I recently performed some performance testing on several audio interfaces with Windows 10 and the current versions of Reaper and Cubase.
Thanks for doing that, geeks love data.
Old 10th February 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Any idea if there are many options that allow one to do something similar in Studio One? I can't think of any options off the top of my head.
I don't have (or know anything about) Studio One - what does the manual say? I'm not sure my Reaper approach works either - I'm checking it out now.
Old 21st February 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmackG View Post
You're welcome

As you can see from the chart in the first post, turning on "ASIO Guard" in Cubase or "Adaptive FX Processing" in Reaper may allow you to reliably use smaller buffer sizes to reduce latency and/or dropouts.

Cubase and Reaper delay MIDI inputs by the reported input latency of the audio interface to help synchronize them with previously recorded media and other inputs when recording and monitoring. If you don't need that, I understand that Reason and Ableton don't do it. If Steinberg fixes Cubase's MIDI "ASIO Latency Compensation" option properly, you should be able to turn it off in Cubase too. You can get Reason to not do it by entering small numbers (like 1 sample) in the "Output and "Input" manual offset" with the "Use audio drive reported latency" box unchecked on the "Recording settings" preference page.
It turns out that the Reaper approach mentioned above doesn't really work. Reaper always delays the triggering of internal Virtual Instruments (VIs) by the audio interface's buffer size. Since it should delay that triggering by interface's reported input latency, VI latency will be lower than it should be. Another problem is that the triggering of external instruments will be excessively delayed. Details are available here.

Also, please note that I just updated the first post in this thread with additional information.

Last edited by AmackG; 21st February 2017 at 05:19 AM.. Reason: Corrections
Old 22nd February 2017
Gear Nut

The Effects of Latency on Live Sound Monitoring

There's an informative Audio Engineering Society Convention Paper from 2007 entitled "The Effects of Latency on Live Sound Monitoring" that might be of interest to some. It can be downloaded for free here by AES members and here by non-members.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search