The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New vs. Old 4 core Intel CPU choices for DAW
Old 13th January 2017
Lives for gear

New vs. Old 4 core Intel CPU choices for DAW

Kaby Lake 7700K vs Sandy Bridge 2600K IPC Review @ [H] with discussion

https://hardforum.com/threads/kaby-l...iew-h.1922342/

First post has link to their review. Bottom line is that picking up a used Intel 2600K or 3770K, 4 core CPU for DAW box use is not a bad budget strategy as the newest version only offers a very modest improvement.
Old 13th January 2017
Lives for gear

Still happy with my 2600k
Old 14th January 2017
Gear Nut

3770K on board
Old 14th January 2017
Lives for gear

Still on i7-870
Old 14th January 2017
Lives for gear
3930K baby

I'm only considering making a switch b/c I want to make my rig smaller. The 3930K needs a gigantic cooler.... and hence my rack computer is humungous and heavy. So I'm likely gonna "upgrade". But from a performance standpoint.... 3930K gets it done on all levels.
Old 15th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Some software does perform better on newer cpu's though, making use of newer instructions. I'd anyhow wait for AMD ryzen to hit the market, hopefully prices of intel will go down a bit
Old 15th January 2017
Lives for gear

Still rocking on a 2600k here
Old 15th January 2017
Lives for gear

Ryzen doesn't have thunderbolt though. =(
Old 15th January 2017
Still with a 3770 here.. I don't see a big performance boost where it would make sense to jump on the Kaby Late.
Old 15th January 2017
Lives for gear

"If you own a highly clocked 2600K/2500K Sandy Bridge processor and it is still giving you stable performance, it is hard for me to make the argument that it is time for you to upgrade, especially if you are a GPU-limited gamer."
HARDOCP - Conclusions - Kaby Lake 7700K vs Sandy Bridge 2600K IPC Review

With the expected "5 % per generation"-improvement, being on 1st gen Lynnfield I still think I will get a modest boost when switching to 6th gen Skylake, SSDS and DDR4/2666 RAM. But barely noticable.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search