The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Addictive Drums vs. Superior Drummer & EZdrummer
Old 12th January 2019
Reverb?
The drums were recorded in a very large room.
Have you tried muting some of the room mics?
Old 12th January 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
Reverb?
The drums were recorded in a very large room.
Have you tried muting some of the room mics?
Exactly. The oh and room mics especially the ambient ribbon are pretty useless, because they make the drums sound like playing in a cavern.
Haven't even downloaded the additional mics/bleeds. Yeah I can turn down the oh mic, but then goodby cymbals. I don't know, maybe I don't get the point with this plugin. I am pretty experienced with AD2 and even logic drummer and get pro results. I will certainly give it a second chance if time allows.
Old 5 days ago
It's not so much the snare I find machine-like in EZd2, it tends to be the open hihat or crash especially in some of the 'chorus' midi clips that really sound like they are trying to drive a Phillip's head screwdriver through one ear and out the other...repetitively. Talk about metronomic. Crash...crash...crash...crash...crash. All identical. Not all the chorus/ pre-chorus midi does that but the ones that do really make you want to break things.

Other observations about EZd2...the 'edit play style' is hit and miss. Sometimes it works...other times it just produces more of what I described above, until you're just sitting there shouting STOP, STOP, STOP...trying to shut it down as fast as your fingers can click.

That, and I like the EZd2 arrangement of midi with intro, verse, pre chorus, chorus, bridge, ending etc. But it's a crying shame they don't include all those in every set...sometimes you only get verse, chorus, bridge or something...and some expansion packs you buy only have a poor man's handful of midi/ song sets, while some of them have a great deal of midi/ song sets. I really like the AD2 stuff...the sounds...but I don't like the midi. Sometimes it comes together ok...you can chop and change...but a lot of the time I simply can't find a damn thing suitable for what I want...and a great deal of AD midi comes in single midi beats only without going the extra distance to set you up in intro, verse, pre, chorus, bridge, middle 8 etc.

Having said that I'll say this..............I wish I could drum.
Old 4 days ago
eor
Gear Addict

A couple of utterly useless points of view:

Drummers seem to prefer toontrack products. or at least they do in drum forums I read.

Ez drummer is perfect for losers, idiots, morons, the chronically lazy and other people like me to get the sounds they wish they had or sound the way they think they do.

I recently stepped up to sd3 from ezd2. Since I haven't downloaded all the extra mics yet, I haven't noticed a huge difference in quality, but the kits are solid and it looks like the mixing options are a little better. Aside from the midi mapping issues, ezd2 huge flaw was the inability to bring a certain piece up or down in the mix ( usually the ride was the problem). I get that it depends on the original session and all that, but it was damn annoying. I hope that's no longer the case now.

My e drums are nowhere near as good as they need to be to take full advantage, and really, e drum technology and options are way, way behind the samples. The pads and triggers just aren't there yet. But for what it is, it sounds damn good and is a god send for people that don't have the space and gear to mic up a kit. As a player and songwriter first, I'll make that trade off every time.
Old 4 days ago
I can see myself trying to expand my skills by using a keyboard to play in basic beats etc...because I find that both EZD2 and AD2 can be quite frustrating in terms of matching their midi to your song. Sometimes things just don't work out and neither of them have anything suitable. But that's on me because at this stage I really rely on a minimum of tweaking in favour of pre-rolled midi that works. Anyway, I suppose I'll try to use a keyboard a bit more...or start to learn drums! How hard can it be??!!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search