The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Have plug ins reached their limits? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 10th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Have plug ins reached their limits?

I own over 200 plug ins a lot of them repeats just made by different companies. For instance I have about 20 compressors, over 20 EQ's etc.... This list goes on and on..

I haven't purchased any plug-ins in almost a year because every time they come out with something new, I already own something similar. I haven't seen any innovative plug-ins in a while. So with that being said, do you guys think that plug-ins have reached their limits?

Is there a plug-in that hasn't been made yet that you wish could be made?

The last innovative plug-in Ive seen, (which just about every DAW has now), was the one finger chord plug-in. But like I said if you have Reason9 or a Control controller this function is now automatic. Playing chords with one finger.
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear
In a word, no. There are still uses for plugins that people haven't invented yet. I can't tell you what they are because they don't exist. Yes, there are tons of EQs, compressors, saturation plugins, etc. I'm glad they all exist because they offer so many different flavors.

A couple of innovative plugins that I discovered over the last year or so are TB_Morphit, Magic AB, and Liquidsonics updated version of Reverberate. But I also expanded my selection of EQs and compressors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamgod View Post
I own over 200 plug ins a lot of them repeats just made by different companies. For instance I have about 20 compressors, over 20 EQ's etc.... This list goes on and on..

I haven't purchased any plug-ins in almost a year because every time they come out with something new, I already own something similar. I haven't seen any innovative plug-ins in a while. So with that being said, do you guys think that plug-ins have reached their limits?

The last innovative plug-in Ive seen, (which just about every DAW has now), was the one finger chord plug-in. But like I said if you have Reason9 or a Control controller this function is now automatic. Playing chords with one finger.
Old 13th January 2017
Lives for gear

Regroover Pro is a good example of recent plugin innovation. iZotope Neutron too.
Old 13th January 2017
Lives for gear
Yeh I was gonna say neutron.. Don't find myself using it all the time but today the masking tool worked fantastic.
Small developments and advancements like that will no doubt lead new places.

I think Neutron can get much better at what it does too
Old 14th January 2017
Gear Addict

I think where I find newness is in the plugins that are combinations of other plugins, like some of the Waves signature ones. It is really a bunch of presets that I might not come up with on my own.

Similarly, there are a number of new instruments that are combinations of sounds, like Celestia, where you could maybe do it using other plugs and sounds, but it is just so much easier and sounds better frankly.
Old 14th January 2017
Lives for gear

Personally, I don't care about getting innovative plugins but I seek improved sound quality especially with reverbs in my case. The only issue is that better sound quality often means more computation and CPU strain.

Companies focusing only on getting innovative plugins like Audio Damage are not doing well (They have not released anything forever) companies focusing on pro sounding utilities like Fabfilter seem to thrive.
I agree they seem to have reach a plateau though. Can you really substancially improve the quality of the current plugins?
Old 14th January 2017
Lives for gear

Probably depends on the type of plugin. Reverb plugs have a loooooong way to go. Windows/apple type hardware is simply not fast enough yet for realistic reverbs. I'm not implying hardware reverbs are good either. They have a long way to go as well. The problem is the reverb algorithms are archaic. the whole approach needs to be re-thought but affordable processing power is still an issue. That's why no reverb hardware or plugs can replace a real room. It really comes down to this, when people stop building and using pro drums rooms/professional live tracking studios, is the day digital reverb have reached their potential. Don't hold your breath.

I think comps and delays and ampsims are as good as they are going to get. Unfortunately ampsims still fall short of real amps and they will never ever sound as good as a real amp that is properly miced by a professional in a great studio.

Some of the Transient designer and reverb removal plugs are decent but could be improved. Probably will keep getting better. Last thing is performance. That will continue to improve as hardware gets better and perhaps taking advantage of GPU if possible
Old 14th January 2017
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamgod View Post

I understand what you are implying. There are many respectable engineers who understand this and have made references to the Daws own eq's and comps as being able to accomplish what many of the high priced plugins can do. I was impressed with Andrew Scheps and what he has done with a lap top and Sony 7506 Head phone and mix a whole professional CD. Its always great to buy the new eq and compressor plugin or anything that is new. But in reality many of the Daw Plugins are very good and able to make a complete professional mix. It has been done.
Old 14th January 2017
Lives for gear

As long as there will be soo many home-recordists attempting to make good sounding productions at home, 3rd party plugins will sell anyways. You just need to tell them "hey man your recordings don't sound good because you don't have the latest plugin gizmo..." and they'll buy it.

We all know their productions sound bad not because lack of plugins but because of their lack of basic audio engineering knowledge. It is the world we live in, everyone just want to press a button and get miraculous results.
Old 15th January 2017
Lives for gear

There were many great plugins out in 2016, several of which raised the bar for quality, (Limitless being one of a dozen I can think off off the top of my head), and innovation, (Neutron and Regroover being two examples). Acoustica Audio also also released the new engine for their much raved about type of plugins.

So many of these sound better than older plugins or do something they can't, so no, plugins certainly haven't reached their limit.
Old 15th January 2017
Gear Maniac

There's still enough innovation. Whether or not you actually need that innovation to make better music or to make your workflow more efficient is a different story.

- Oeksound Soothe: Innovative "annoying frequency" suppressor
- iZotope Neutron
- DMG Audio Limitless: Raised the quality bar for limiters
- IK ModoBass: Allegedly the first realistic modeled bass instrument
- Melodyne 4: Introducing a harmonics editor
- FabFilter Pro-R: No reverb before it was designed this way, with its functionality and UI implemented this way (e.g. decay EQ)

All of the above are innovative, and I'm sure I could make this list a lot longer.

I think the problem is not so much that there weren't any innovation, but rather that the people are obsessed with "vintage analog" emulations and that they will get more excited about the tenth useless 1176 or Pultec emulation than they do about plugins that actually bring something new to the table. Manufacturers like Slate and Universal Audio exploit the false belief that "old analog gear sounds better", which is perpetuated by technologically uneducated engineers. And so every year, dozens of analog gear emulations are released that all do the same sh1t and bring nothing new to the table, but they promise to sound "even closer" to the hardware they are emulating - what a joke

Like Paul Frindle said many times, engineers in the 70ies did everything they could to circumvent the sonic imperfections of the gear they had to work with, and now comes Slate and tells you that they invested a lot of work to recreate those imperfections. It's kind of ridiculous if you think about it.

I particularly blame Universal Audio and Slate Digital for exploiting the false analog promise instead of making innovative plugins. Others do it, too, but those two companies are the worst when it comes to selling people false hopes and dreams. But the people buy it, so the marketing seems to work.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search