The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tim Cook on Mac Desktop commitment Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 25th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzoftheburn View Post
I can't find the article right now. But I remember reading that the reason the Mini was crippled in 2014 was because of the new generation of Intel cpu's needing either more power, or more cooling (or both).
I wrote that here in this thread about a year ago: Tim Cook on Mac Desktop commitment

The issue was the GPU. The newer chips with HD5000 were only available as dual-cores. That is on Intel, not on Apple.

The fact that they haven't updated the Mini since then, that is on Apple.

For further reading:
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014...mini-reviewed/
Old 30th May 2018
if you notice most of the apple line up. is using amd on the internal not intel now.. so id love to see an amd integrated and nvidia dgpu setup in a macbookpro
Old 30th May 2018
Intrigued to see what's said next week at WWDC. Lots of rumours about OS stuff, but also from the perspective of a possible iMac refresh using the new chips.

Need a Mac right now, but am willing to hold on a bit to see what's released this year.
Old 30th May 2018
Lives for gear

Apple hasn’t generally used WWDC in recent years as a place to announce hardware, since the primary target is developers. There are occasionally exceptions, though, so it’ll be interesting to watch.
Old 30th May 2018
Lives for gear

According to the fine folks at Macrumours ( I've followed those forums for over a decade ), all signs point to a new Mac Pro no sooner than 2019. Who knows, maybe Apple announces something sooner, to be shipped later, to help stem the flow away from their outdated pro machines, but I doubt it. Apple's never made any moves out of fear.

Me, I'm happily trudging along on my revamped 12 core cheese grater. Whenever it launches, this new Mac Pro is going to need to be a heckuva monster at a heckuva good price to get me to upgrade. It's going to need multiple drive bays, PCIe slots, tons of I/O ports front and back, and a huge boost in speed to make me open my wallet. It's a bit ironic that Apple's trash can miss-step and failure to update has really created a whole legion of peeps who've learned to live quite happily without anything new. I predict that Apple will try to force people to upgrade by locking the 5,1 out of future OS updates but once again, if I'm being honest, there's absolutely nothing a future OS upgrade would provide me for my working machine. I'll buy a cheap laptop or iPad for the latest gadgets, but in the realm of audio, I'm only using 1/3 of the shizzle that's on my cMP.
Old 30th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdpath View Post
...this new Mac Pro is going to need to be a heckuva monster at a heckuva good price to get me to upgrade...
My prediction is it will be a monster, but good price--not so much...
Old 30th May 2018
In the meantime.. you can get a ton of beast of machine for the high end price of a trashcan macpro.. and in my case hackintoshed it.. with good success.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/cjadam...d/#view=BtPqqs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponzi View Post
My prediction is it will be a monster, but good price--not so much...
Old 31st May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ataylor View Post
In the meantime.. you can get a ton of beast of machine for the high end price of a trashcan macpro.. and in my case hackintoshed it.. with good success.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/cjadam...d/#view=BtPqqs
I see this is a xeon based computer. I was not aware that there was a a hackintosh boot driver that would work with xeons. Am I wrong?
Old 31st May 2018
im pretty sure the mac pro trashcan is a E5 series xeon...
And so far.. mac os has no complaints that ive found so far.

Quote:
I see this is a xeon based computer. I was not aware that there was a a hackintosh boot driver that would work with xeons. Am I wrong?
Old 31st May 2018
Quote:
Every Mac Pro since the switch to Intel was a Xeon.
Old 1st November 2018
Lives for gear
So Tim et. al have done something practical to be true to Tim's word and Apple designed a new Mac Mini (what???????):
  • 8th Gen Core CPUs with four or six cores
  • Intel UHD Graphics 630
  • a brand-new cooling system
  • up to 64 GB
  • up to 2 TB storage
  • T2 security chip (Will Apple have done their homework and fixed issues?)
  • 4 Thunderbolt 3 ports (USB-C connectors surely)
  • USB 3.0 Type-A ports
  • HDMI 2.0
  • 3.5-mm audio connector

I guess the six cores couldn't have come last year, so this is somewhat a revamped idea desktop Mac that kinda matches the MacBook Pros. Is this progress or a mere component update and late at that? These models comes at a price as expected.

I picked out what I'd regard a base system with:
  • 3.0GHz 6‑core 8th‑generation Intel Core i5 (Turbo Boost up to 4.1GHz) (lesser CPU)
  • 16GB 2666MHz DDR4 (+$200)
  • 1TB SSD storage (+$600)
  • Default Ethernet

and this landed me at $1,899, of which the processor is a mere $200 cost bought separately. This i5 doesn't seem to have hyper-threading though, so maybe $200 extra i7 is advisable. I don't know what to think. Is this too little, too late or a tempting offer, assuming that you want an Apple Mac rather than a Hackintosh?

>>Anandtech's report

Last edited by Mikael B; 2nd November 2018 at 12:11 PM.. Reason: price figures for parts
Old 2nd November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael B View Post
So Tim et. al have done something practical to be true to Tim's word and Apple designed a new Mac Mini (what???????):
  • Intel UHD Graphics 630
  • up to 64 GB
  • up to 2 TB storage
  • USB 3.0 Type-A ports
  • HDMI 2.0
  • 3.5-mm audio connector

I guess the six cores couldn't have come last year, so this is somewhat a revamped idea desktop Mac that kinda matches the MacBook Pros. Is this progress or a mere component update and late at that? These models comes at a price as expected.

• 3.0GHz 6‑core 8th‑generation Intel Core i5 (Turbo Boost up to 4.1GHz)
  • 16GB 2666MHz DDR4
  • 1TB SSD storage
  • Default Ethernet

and this landed me at $1,899, of which the processor is a mere $200 cost bought separately. I don't know what to think. Is this too little, too late or a tempting offer, assuming that you want an Apple Mac rather than a Hackintosh?

>>Anandtech's report
Others can chime in on price opinions but the Mac Mini form factor has never been a desktop. It is the opposite. If it cost $899 instead of $1899, wouldn't you still be bothered by all the hard drives you'd have hanging off the cute little cube?

Upon re-reading your post, I guess I lied: if it costs $1899 for a base system, that is about the least tempting price I have ever heard.
Old 2nd November 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by troggg View Post
Upon re-reading your post, I guess I lied: if it costs $1899 for a base system, that is about the least tempting price I have ever heard.
My base system. Not theirs. I speced it, didn't I? So what does it matter what the Apple starting price is?

Last edited by Mikael B; 2nd November 2018 at 02:19 PM..
Old 2nd November 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
  • Intel UHD Graphics 630
  • up to 64 GB
  • up to 2 TB storage
  • USB 3.0 Type-A ports
  • HDMI 2.0
  • 3.5-mm audio connector

• 3.0GHz 6‑core 8th‑generation Intel Core i5 (Turbo Boost up to 4.1GHz)
  • 16GB 2666MHz DDR4
  • 1TB SSD storage
  • Default Ethernet

and this landed me at $1,899, of which the processor is a mere $200 cost bought separately. I don't know what to think. Is this too little, too late or a tempting offer, assuming that you want an Apple Mac rather than a Hackintosh?

>>Anandtech's report
That's a lot of money for what's effectively a laptop without a screen. If I'm buying a desktop, I want a desktop processor.
Old 2nd November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philter View Post
That's a lot of money for what's effectively a laptop without a screen. If I'm buying a desktop, I want a desktop processor.
Then you're either looking at the iMac Pro or waiting for the Mac Pro introduction expected next year. In the meantime, this definitely fits a lot of other peoples' wish lists.
Old 2nd November 2018
Gear Addict

I hope my trusty old 5,1 cMac Pro has a few more years left in it. After that I’ll probably be picking through the eBay used Mac boneyard again.
Old 2nd November 2018
Gear Nut

Crazy prices. In Italy the top i7 64gb ram 2tb drive is 4.900 euros.

For the same you can build a real powerfull workstation or even two with one slave.

That are not pro machines, are luxury objects.

If this is the ''new'' Apple pro trend I am curios about the prices of the new uncoming mac pros...

Very happy with my choice of my 2.500 euros hackintosh
Old 2nd November 2018
Lives for gear

At the event they said the Mini has desktop processors, not mobile.
Old 2nd November 2018
And it’s still got user-upgradeable RAM SODIMMs, unlike their laptops - so shop around for RAM upgrades and the price comes way down.
Old 2nd November 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitecat View Post
And it’s still got user-upgradeable RAM SODIMMs, unlike their laptops - so shop around for RAM upgrades and the price comes way down.
Well, maybe of you're going over 16, which is just $200 off. I have 16 now and it's never used up fully. Can you sell the $8gb chip I assume you get? Maybe…
Old 2nd November 2018
Lives for gear
It seems that i5 doesn't seem to have hyper-threading though, so maybe the $200 extra i7 is advisable. I updated my "base system" pick with amounts for 16GB ($200) and 1TB SSD ($600).

I can also add that I earlier this year drafted a 12-core Hackintosh built around the Intel i9-7920X and the X99 with 16gb/1tb, which was very hard to get under $2,500 with decent components. The Mini at well $500 less is something else I think.
Old 2nd November 2018
Quote:
Well, maybe of you're going over 16, which is just $200 off. I have 16 now and it's never used up fully. Can you sell the $8gb chip I assume you get? Maybe…
I have every time, always ropes a few quid back for me... I've had 4 Minis in the past, currently have two. Will likely sell them soon to get 1 hexacore i7.
Old 2nd November 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitecat View Post
I have every time, always ropes a few quid back for me... I've had 4 Minis in the past, currently have two. Will likely sell them soon to get 1 hexacore i7.
I guess it's safe to assume the "Mini" form factor works for you and that these are a very nice upgrade? Are you putting the money you save towards the i7?
Old 2nd November 2018
Quote:
I guess it's safe to assume the "Mini" form factor works for you and that these are a very nice upgrade? Are you putting the money you save towards the i7?
Yep. Will get upgraded i7 + 8gb (and upgrade that as soon as most likely), jury’s out on storage and Ethernet upgrade so far. But really impressed with it otherwise, these make awesome little studio machines for me, keep them in a Sonnet rack and they’re nicely out of the way.
Old 2nd November 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Gaia View Post
Then you're either looking at the iMac Pro or waiting for the Mac Pro introduction expected next year. In the meantime, this definitely fits a lot of other peoples' wish lists.
Nah I already have a diesel hackintosh... Apple lost the plot a long time ago. I'm just here driving slowly past the wreck.
Old 2nd November 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philter View Post
Nah I already have a diesel hackintosh... Apple lost the plot a long time ago. I'm just here driving slowly past the wreck.
Considering Apple's sales, I think "lost the plot" is quite the hyperbole. I may be disappointed myself with Apple's offerings as well as the long lack thereof, but that's just me wanting Apple to be what they might not want to be.

It's not before Apple release the new "modular" Mac Pro, that some order have been restored and hopefully some of the magic. People will whine over prices also then — certainly with some justification — and Apple will sell loads as usual.

Apple never was about low hardware prices. It was always about the total experience and, man, I —as well as many people I know — have found that worth paying for over and over. We made back on our investments many times over every time. That's how Apple makes their money, like their products or not.

Last edited by Mikael B; 3rd November 2018 at 05:19 PM..
Old 2nd November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Considering Apple's sales, I think "lost the plot" is quite the hyperbole. I may be disappointed myself with of Apple's offerings as well as the long lack thereof, but that's just me wanting Apple to be what they might not want to be.

It's not before Apple release the new "modular" Mac Pro, that some order have been restored and hopefully some of the magic. People will whine over prices also then — certainly with some justification — and Apple will sell loads as usual.

Apple never was about low hardware prices. It was always about the total experience and, man, I —as well as many people I know — have found that worth paying for over and over. We made back on our investments many times over every time. That's how Apple makes their money, like their products or not.
I'm dubious that a revived line of pretty $5,000ish desktops will be coming with a "make back your investment many times over" guarantee no matter how much Mac love you have.
Old 2nd November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm dubious that a revived line of pretty $5,000ish desktops will be coming with a "make back your investment many times over" guarantee no matter how much Mac love you have.
Its already been explained--its the EMOTIONAL investment...
Old 2nd November 2018
Lives for gear
Ugly worm the fruit.

Apple has not released anything competitive in computer world for 10 years now. They ware on top of the world, now they have become a luxury toy manufacture company. Nice toys though, but it is not the tool for professionals. The 2019 Mac Pro is their last chance, if they mess that one too I move.
Old 2nd November 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Maybe I'm not making my money with my machines in the music industry, right? Nor do most people I know. They make loads of money elsewhere and spend it on their studios, including Macs every third year or so. It doesn't take that long to earn that investment back many times over.

I can't really say if about $2000 for a Mini is defendable. Maybe if it's like an iMac Pro in performance without that 5k display. That I assume it isn't. But I have to think trough my Hackintosh again, though I do expect that to win my heart again as it's a 12-core. It won't be a walk-over like before.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search