The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tim Cook on Mac Desktop commitment Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 31st December 2017
  #1471
Lives for gear
 
Lady Gaia's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratology View Post
OK, something like that could be the starting point for constructive criticism, if you would care to point out what's so bad about USB-C in Macbook Pros.
Needing an adapter for use with most any peripheral you might already own is definitely a pain at the moment. Being able to do so with any of the four ports is awesome, as is being able to charge from either side and even share charging and data duties with a single cable.

The all USB-C future will be wonderfully convenient and I’m glad someone is pushing it forward and I’ll be happy when it arrives. In the meantime I’ll be mildly inconvenienced except on the occasions I forget to bring the adapter I need, and then I’ll be completely screwed.
Old 31st December 2017
  #1472
Lives for gear
 
stratology's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O View Post
But stratology has never, to my knowledge listed ANY specific thing HE thinks Apple could have done better.
All you have to do is ask.

I think they could always do better in communication. The response to the recent iPhone battery discussions (articles that explain what exactly is happening under the hood, cheaper battery exchanges) could have come sooner, Apple should have taken the initiative on that before it became a thing in the press.

Apple routers are outdated, that's another area where they could do much better. Especially if you consider things like iPads in education - compete with scalable systems like Aerohive, while maintaining ease of use.



These are general criticisms, I also have several personal ones, that don't necessarily match the experience or requirements of other users:
  • the High Sierra update was a nightmare for me, subjectively High Sierra is the worst version of macOS I've ever used. Finder performance is poor
  • the Network Diagnostics app was removed without replacement in High Sierra, I used that literally every day
  • dragging folders into parent folders in List View has changed in High Sierra. The new behaviour is not better or worse than the old one, so why change it? Why not document it publicly?
  • the (now fixed) bug that broke the ~/Music/Audio Music Apps hard link (and caused Logic issues) on APFS should have been caught during testing, and fixed before the High Sierra release. In the past, Logic was always ready for a new OS release on the day the OS came out.
  • ...


None of these have anything to do with Tim Cook or the Mac Desktop, bringing out any criticism just because goes off topic...
Old 31st December 2017
  #1473
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratology View Post
Quite the opposite, actually. The key word is 'constructive'.

The whole 'Apple is doomed' nonsense gets in the way of constructive feedback. Pointing out over and over again that a homebuilt piece of crap PC is cheaper than a Mac Pro gets in the way of constructive feedback. Assumptions about Cook's personality vs. Jobs' gets in the way of constructive feedback.


Marco Arment made a good point about his perception of software quality a while ago. Things like that can be a starting point for a constructive discussion - to name just one example.


The whole point of the thread, as a point of constructive feedback, is a good starting point as well. No significant updates to the Mac Pro in several years, even if it concerns only 1-3% (estimated) of the Mac user base, and no communication from Apple about it, is a valid point of criticism.


A large part of Apple's professional user base are developers, which lay the groundwork of the success for iOS with their apps. Apple not committing to that part of the user base would make no sense whatsoever.
You may or may not know, mac's assembly parts are that piece of crap manufactured in China with same or worse capacitor as that soldered in some homebuilt piece of crap PC. So what is your point?...
Old 31st December 2017
  #1474
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezoneight View Post
That is irrelevant to what the guy said. It is fully possible to get music created on older Mac hardware. Now if you don't want to use the platform thats a completely different thing.
As if your saying there were someone who are telling apple is selling a machine in 2017 on which user can't do anything.
Old 31st December 2017
  #1475
Lives for gear
 
stratology's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyjohn View Post
You may or may not know, mac's assembly parts are that piece of crap manufactured in China with same or worse capacitor as that soldered in some homebuilt piece of crap PC.


Mac and PC has same capacitor. Is same.


/thread
Old 31st December 2017
  #1476
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratology View Post
Mac and PC has same capacitor. Is same.


/thread
no...
Old 31st December 2017
  #1477
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezoneight View Post
You're wrong and you're not alone. You all want Apple to be something it's not anymore. Jobs is long dead. Let him go already.



You do realize that the Apple that Jobs ran was completely closed off. I'm glad that Apple is gone. If Jobs were still around I'd be surprised if we would have the productivity features they supplied in iOS11 (iPad), or public betas, or many of the other changes that have come around since he passed away. Good riddance to that Apple.



No because Amazon is not capable of that kind of engineering. The devices they release are pretty much cheap garbage and they do that because most people like cheap garbage.

Let's talk about the iPhone for a second. Why does it need a home button still? The home "button" on my iPhone 8 Plus isn't really a button anyhow, it's just an indentation that looks like a button and its only purpose is for Touch ID. It uses haptic feedback to give the impression that it's a button but its not.

Let me guess, you're the type of person who thinks replacing Touch ID was blasphemy right? Because it worked so great. Where I live its very cold right now. Outside I'm always wearing gloves which negates Touch ID completely. Face ID works just fine in that environment. Oh and my hands are ridiculously dry because right now there is basically no humidity in the air. Touch ID is terrible in that scenario as well. Face ID will still figure out its me if my face is dry.

I know quite a few people who own the iPhone X and not one of them is complaining about Face ID or the lack of a home button.



Dude those keynotes are marketing. Do you expect they're not going to say the latest iPhone is the "best iPhone ever"? Of course its contrived, it's the whole point. It's a show. After the show is over you read between the lines. They're selling tons of devices because they're giving people something they want and in my opinion they're still the best option out there.
You're basically being the same Apple user that's been commenting on forums about how people are just hating, and Apple is actually doing pretty decent, while the OS gets clunkier, the hardware gets more sleek design, but the overall functionality suffers.

No headphone jack, no home button.. hey it might be the way forward, but it's more design aesthetic than functionality.
The engineering is more about style and marketing than genuine functionality and reliability.

I can be wrong. But my point is there's a bigger core issue, Tim Cook is a central part of that one way or another because he runs the company.
Granted, the majority of the market that takes in the cash for them is in little devices and apps. It's in sleek design and engineering.
Public betas or not, to my knowledge they still aren't really listening to their power users.
I have yet to update to high Sierra because of the problems I've heard.
Another poster just mentioned that, and I appreciate that because I was thinking they'd have fixed it by now, but apparently not.

I'm kind of an old guy so for me, fundtion and reliability comes first.
It's either a useful tool, or it's more or less a cool toy that has some cool features and keeps you connected to everything and everybody all the time.
I don't want cool toys.
I don't like being connected to everything and everybody all the time.
New features that make me have to buy proprietary addons isn't something I'm a fan of for sure.
I favor functionality, efficiency, reliability and productivity. Getting things done so I can enjoy somewhat of a real life.
Not a digital one.

Amazons kindles may not be all sleek and stylish but there's people that are still using 10 year old kindles.

From my perspective the problem for Apple is as much of a consumerist problem, and manipulating and taking advantage of that to appease shareholders, as it is an Apple problem.
Your average consumer anymore is happy to finance a new iPhone. Just to have the newest coolest thing.
That's not me, and I don't think that's most power/professional users.
I see a computer like I see a house or a car, as an investment, I don't need to wonder and bask in the glory of engineering, design and new features. That's not satisfying to me whatsoever unless it's genuinely functional and conducive to more productivity.

If only all of us Apple users could stop bickering, stop saying that people hate kn Apple because their successful, and instead come together and admit they've let some serious aspects of their hardware and OS slip.
And hold Apple accountable in someway.

It's either their quality control, or the lack of thinking of devices as tools as opposed to trendy cool little gadgets with the latest and greatest tech and industrial design.

Apple sure seems to be just trying to sell things instead and get people hooked into a digital ecosystem, as opposed to making machines that genuinely make our lives easier and that we actually spend LESS time with.

But instead of the power user base coming together, some people try to rationalize and justify the design and engineering. The features etc.
Say that people are Apple haters.
Well, that criticism can be useful and some of us aren't haters.
We've just been on the Apple ship for a decade or so and watched over the past 5 years or so as they seemed to have really forgot about their pro users.
Old 31st December 2017
  #1478
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratology View Post
All you have to do is ask.

I think they could always do better in communication. The response to the recent iPhone battery discussions (articles that explain what exactly is happening under the hood, cheaper battery exchanges) could have come sooner, Apple should have taken the initiative on that before it became a thing in the press.

Apple routers are outdated, that's another area where they could do much better. Especially if you consider things like iPads in education - compete with scalable systems like Aerohive, while maintaining ease of use.



These are general criticisms, I also have several personal ones, that don't necessarily match the experience or requirements of other users:
  • the High Sierra update was a nightmare for me, subjectively High Sierra is the worst version of macOS I've ever used. Finder performance is poor
  • the Network Diagnostics app was removed without replacement in High Sierra, I used that literally every day
  • dragging folders into parent folders in List View has changed in High Sierra. The new behaviour is not better or worse than the old one, so why change it? Why not document it publicly?
  • the (now fixed) bug that broke the ~/Music/Audio Music Apps hard link (and caused Logic issues) on APFS should have been caught during testing, and fixed before the High Sierra release. In the past, Logic was always ready for a new OS release on the day the OS came out.
  • ...



None of these have anything to do with Tim Cook or the Mac Desktop, bringing out any criticism just because goes off topic...
Sorry to hear your having those problems. It was super frustrating for me when I finnaly upgraded from 10.6.8.
Sierra seems to be doing fine.
When I read about apples new file method/structure I was already super apprehensive. Reading people's experiences With it, there's no way I would upgrade at this point.
I appreciate the heads up.
Old 31st December 2017
  #1479
Sky
Lives for gear
 
Sky's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael B View Post
Yes, to all of that, but I don't want a tired cheese-grater design in a big heavy box. If I'm going to shell out ten grand I want a design that is for the future and not tired like yesteryear. Sturdy is fine, but there as to an elegance and not just power and flexibility.
I started to write more, including looking forward to a newer, more compact design. While I don't love the dated largeness of the cheesegrater, the easy serviceability, drive swapping and and multi-zone cooling are phenomenal. Give me a modern box without sacrificing this and I'm in.

Sky
Old 31st December 2017
  #1480
Lives for gear
 
Lady Gaia's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostInDaMachine View Post
No headphone jack, no home button.. hey it might be the way forward, but it's more design aesthetic than functionality. The engineering is more about style and marketing than genuine functionality and reliability.
Lack of a headphone jack has nothing to do with aesthetics. It’s more in line with dropping floppies, optical media, parallel ports, and so forth. It’s a foreword looking statement about how Apple sees the future, with more value placed on waterproofing (reliability) and repurposing the space the headphone jack occupied while betting that a range of audio connections will better serve people down the road: wireless connectivity for some, the included lightning dongle you add to headphone you own if so desired, or arbitrarily high-end D/A conversion for digital audio transferred over Lightning.

I’m not claiming they’re right, I’m just pointing out that they have a history of doing exactly this kind of thing and a pretty reasonable track record.

Likewise, eliminating the home button isn’t about style but about increasing screen real estate without making the physical device larger. People have shown that they want larger screens, so this is one approach. I wasn’t convinced I’d like it until I tried one for myself but it feels surprisingly natural. Face recognition is interesting and a much longer topic, but it’s also a welcome change for some like my wife whose fingerprints can’t reliably be read by anything in use.

Quote:
Public betas or not, to my knowledge they still aren't really listening to their power users.
Listening and obeying are very different things. They definitely listen, but choose their own path regarding what to do about what they hear. It’s their strength and their weakness as it has always been.

Quote:
New features that make me have to buy proprietary addons isn't something I'm a fan of for sure.
Then presumably you’re a huge fan of USB-C and Thunderbolt? Both are standards with widespread and growing adoption, and they’re the only ports you need to worry about on modern Macs besides those provided for legacy compatibility on desktops.

Quote:
Amazons kindles may not be all sleek and stylish but there's people that are still using 10 year old kindles.
They’re not getting software updates, so they’re very much like 10-year old Mac users of whom there are plenty. Even some on this forum.

Quote:
Your average consumer anymore is happy to finance a new iPhone. Just to have the newest coolest thing.
That's not me, and I don't think that's most power/professional users.
Most consumers don’t update their phone every year. Anyone sane waits 2-3 years at least and longer makes sense for some. Just because there are addicts who must have the latest doesn’t mean Apple is to blame. They have a contemporary offering in the market at all times that will appeal to someone who is looking to update, not a forced update program.

Quote:
I see a computer like I see a house or a car, as an investment, I don't need to wonder and bask in the glory of engineering, design and new features.
I know Tesla owners who ditched their Model S every time a bump in horsepower and battery capacity came out. Insisting that Tesla should stop making better technology is just as silly as expecting the same from any manufacturer.

Likewise insisting that every single change they make must cater to a particular individual or market. I’m glad they’re paying attention to professionals, and I don’t think people have been quiet about what they want or why the iMac Pro isn’t the right fit for them. They just haven’t been screaming “Apple sucks” loudly enough to appease some. I look forward to seeing what’s next for the Mac Mini and Mac Pro lines, and perhaps there’ll be something in the mix that suits my needs.

Most importantly, I’ve found that companies listen to reasoned, specific feedback more than they do to generalized ranting.
Old 31st December 2017
  #1481
Tui
Gear Guru
 
Tui's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsrono View Post
Yes, I read all about it as well. For the third time, I'm simply surprised that Apple actually followed through on it.

I would disagree with 'the space a company's employees work in sets the tone...' because that's not my experience (at least, it's not a huge influence. it CAN be partially influential, sure, but to the tune of 5 billion or whatever...I dunno about all that.)
Why surprised..? There's never any shortage of cash to make them look good.
Old 31st December 2017
  #1482
Tui
Gear Guru
 
Tui's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsrono View Post
This is exactly the reason I had kept out of this thread for many, many pages and just browsed it, but alas, I just had to offer my perspective today. It's my own fault, really.
Will you learn from it, though? I ask you, will you ever learn?

Old 31st December 2017
  #1483
Tui
Gear Guru
 
Tui's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostInDaMachine View Post
I'm kind of an old guy so for me, fundtion and reliability comes first.
It's either a useful tool, or it's more or less a cool toy that has some cool features and keeps you connected to everything and everybody all the time.
I don't want cool toys.
I don't like being connected to everything and everybody all the time.
Same here. When I go out, I see people glued to their phones at all times, in all places, in all kinds of situations (even onstage). The Borg Collective has arrived.
Old 31st December 2017
  #1484
Lives for gear
 
gussyg2007's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostInDaMachine View Post
People saying that this has nothing to do with with Tim Cook, or acting as though Tim doesn't need to listen to people on gearslutz, because we aren't smart enough, or don't represent the masses, etc.
That's like half the problem.
It's just wasting time and energy.
I've been saying Apple was slipping since 2013, maybe before then.
Because Logic, as a software wasn't being developed properly, it was glitchy, and they basically had just put in some new features, a newer GUI, and lowered the price so it was more accessible.
Plus the OS is and has been finicky as hell after 10.6.8, although Sierra seems to be doing well.

Apple is already known for not listening to its customers, thinking they know better about what consumers want than consumers. Well again, that might apply to people that want a device as a cool little trendy lifestyle thing.
That doesn't really apply to people that want a machine that they can use for real work. We tend to know better what we want, and your darn right we should be listened to. We use the machine and the software to make a living. We know it way better than the average user.
We know all the little quirks and glitches that you averge consumer probably wouldn't care about. Some of us are invested in the company and have been for a long time.
The attention to detail, the right ship that jobs ran while also allowing conflicting ideas, the focusing on products that truly make a difference for people that want to be PRODUCTIVE.
It's all gone. Sure the times have changed, but do you see Amazon coming out with kindles with face recognition, no buttons, etc?
No, because it's not practical.

With any kind of crazy success like Apple had with the iPod, iPhone, and iPad, there's going to be some serious arrogance and a time to basically reset and go back to roots a bit.

The Apple of today, under Tim Cook will sell absolutely you this idea at a keynote to sell you a new phone.
They would market the hell out of that idea, tell everybody it's the greatest thing ever, show you some features while playing some kind of cool little indie pop song in the background.

But it'd all be a lie.
And its such a contrived show, their keynotes. We should all know better by now.
honestly? Zzzzz Zzzz what a load of trumped up personal ill-informed conjecture...
really, you're spouting utter nonsense about the most successful company on the planet. Why not shoot Apple an email, I'm sure your grievances will be duly noted...
Old 31st December 2017
  #1485
Tui
Gear Guru
 
Tui's Avatar
I don't get it. Is Apple a cult, like - Nebula..? No criticism allowed? Not even when voiced by people who kept Apple afloat when they were close to bankruptcy?
Old 31st December 2017
  #1486
Here for the gear
 
krystalskull's Avatar
 

I've been an Apple user for 20 yrs. I own the late 2016 MacBook Pro top spec, there is nothing Pro about it. I had to buy a couple of UAD-2 devices + plugins so I could do a decent mix. Now the new iMac Pro top spec is $21,000 AUD. Tim Cook has his entire head up his ass. I will be exiting Apple product line as soon as I can.
Old 31st December 2017
  #1487
Lives for gear
When will they do a i9 machine that does not have noise from the screen?
Old 31st December 2017
  #1488
Lives for gear
 
spaceman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael B View Post
Well, I have a pet peeve about non-expandability. There's Apple shooting themselves in the foot again. Yes, I do realize the RAM modules and SSDs are placed in odd places, but nevertheless!

Beyond that little palaver a 10-core 32GB/2TB might fit the bill. That's $7,278.00 (incl. the Vesa Mount) not counting Apple Care. Or go 64GB at $800 more.

It would be nice to know something about the specs of the Mac Pros coming.
Actually the RAM in the iMacPro is replaceable. But unlike the 5k iMac, it's not user-replaceable, it has to be done by an Apple Authorized Service Provider, or an Apple Store.
Old 31st December 2017
  #1489
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostInDaMachine View Post
I can be wrong. But my point is there's a bigger core issue, Tim Cook is a central part of that one way or another because he runs the company.
ruins is spelled ruins not runs.
Old 31st December 2017
  #1490
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Gaia View Post
Quote:
I see a computer like I see a house or a car, as an investment, I don't need to wonder and bask in the glory of engineering, design and new features.
I know Tesla owners who ditched their Model S every time a bump in horsepower and battery capacity came out. Insisting that Tesla should stop making better technology is just as silly as expecting the same from any manufacturer.
But professional commuter doesn't need to buy new Tesla car to commute more faster, right? Because it depends on the traffic condition. What he means by that analogy I think is investment for like cars with more fuel-efficient and car navigation system. It lets you get to the destination more faster and fuel efficient. Isn't pro investing in their computer to get the job done faster and efficiently?
Old 31st December 2017
  #1491
Lives for gear
 
MusiKLover's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bace View Post
When will they do a i9 machine that does not have noise from the screen?
You realize they chose Xeon Ws (tweaked for the iMac Pro) over i9s? Probably not going to happen, but who knows for certain.

I still want to know when Intel (or AMD) will dedicate resources to either producing chips than run cooler or better cooling technology to get clock speeds over 5GHz. 7GHz is a good target, as stated previously. It would appear the market has catered more to multicore, and it's probably easier as faster clock speeds can really heat the chips up -- and fast. I'd imagine it could even have to involve new technology, and potentially Intel does not want to dedicate resources focusing on such development.

The Single Core Issue is important to virtually all Audio/MIDI hosts.

Interestingly, for some video functions (though not all,) the traditional iMac 5K performs more quickly than the iMac Pro -- at a much lower price point. The single core can matter here too, as does Quick Sync in the 5K. The i7 iMac has a higher Geekbench Single Core Score than the iMac Pro (any of the models.) Of course the Pros have almost double the Multicore Score. It's questionable if Audio/MIDI apps will benefit from all the iMac Pro offers in the short term. Conclusion @ 22:00:


Last edited by MusiKLover; 31st December 2017 at 03:18 PM.. Reason: Add Video Clip
Old 31st December 2017
  #1492
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusiKLover View Post
You realize they chose Xeon Ws (tweaked for the iMac Pro) over i9s? Probably not going to happen, but who knows for certain.

I still want to know when Intel (or AMD) will dedicate resources to either producing chips than run cooler or better cooling technology to get clock speeds over 5GHz. 7GHz is a good target, as stated previously. It would appear the market has catered more to multicore, and it's probably easier as faster clock speeds can really heat the chips up -- and fast. I'd imagine it could even have to involve new technology, and potentially Intel does not want to dedicate resources focusing on such development.

The Single Core Issue is important to virtually all Audio/MIDI hosts.

Interestingly, for some video functions (though not all,) the traditional iMac 5K performs more quickly than the iMac Pro -- at a much lower price point. The single core can matter here too, as does Quick Sync in the 5K. The i7 iMac has a higher Geekbench Single Core Score than the iMac Pro (any of the models.) Of course the Pros have almost double the Multicore Score. It's questionable if Audio/MIDI apps will benefit from all the iMac Pro offers in the short term. Conclusion @ 22:00:

You will need moving air to the it cool, so you will never be able to do a imac that is good for a DAW. You need to move the cooling device away from you. I really hope that they get thinks right for the Mac Pro but I seriously doubt that will. They need cover from imac with i7 to enthusiast-X and a xeon bump up with 2 and 4 sockets render machine. The best they could do is to do the mac pro classic in modern version i space gray or so.
Old 31st December 2017
  #1493
Gear Guru
 
UnderTow's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Gaia View Post
Lack of a headphone jack is as much about aesthetics as dropping floppies, optical media, parallel ports, and so forth.
I'm not sure that is the case. My HTC phone also doesn't have a headphone jack. Just a USB-C connector. At first I was a little miffed but it makes sense: The included headphones have active noise cancelling. That is, obviously, calculated by the phone in real-time so proper two way communication between the headphones and the phone is necessary. (It also profiles the resonances of your ear canal when you first connect the phone. Another reason for the need for proper two way communication).

One could argue that this could be done through a jack connection but in my experience, any time two way signals are done through a stereo jack, there are problems when connecting any other headphones as the strips in the jack don't properly line-up and don't make proper connections. At best the connection is fiddly. At worse it just doesn't work.

Alistair
Old 31st December 2017
  #1494
Lives for gear
 
Lady Gaia's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow View Post
I'm not sure that is the case.
Sorry if my statement wasn’t clear. I think we’re in complete agreement, that removing the headphone jack wasn’t about aesthetics but about progress.
Old 31st December 2017
  #1495
Gear Guru
 
UnderTow's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Gaia View Post
Sorry if my statement wasn’t clear. I think we’re in complete agreement, that removing the headphone jack wasn’t about aesthetics but about progress.
My mistake. Rereading your post (and even just the line I quoted) I realise I misunderstood what you wrote.

Alistair
Old 31st December 2017
  #1496
Lives for gear
 
lowkey's Avatar
 

LOL. UAD users calling native CPUs underpowered


Quote:
Originally Posted by krystalskull View Post
I've been an Apple user for 20 yrs. I own the late 2016 MacBook Pro top spec, there is nothing Pro about it. I had to buy a couple of UAD-2 devices + plugins so I could do a decent mix. Now the new iMac Pro top spec is $21,000 AUD. Tim Cook has his entire head up his ass. I will be exiting Apple product line as soon as I can.
Old 31st December 2017
  #1497
Tui
Gear Guru
 
Tui's Avatar
I just tried to find an online manual for the trashcan Mac Pro. Doesn't exist - at all. Not at Apple's site, not anywhere else.

I want to know how much clearance there needs to be at the top, for sufficient airflow.
Old 31st December 2017
  #1498
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by krystalskull View Post
I've been an Apple user for 20 yrs. I own the late 2016 MacBook Pro top spec, there is nothing Pro about it. I had to buy a couple of UAD-2 devices + plugins so I could do a decent mix. Now the new iMac Pro top spec is $21,000 AUD. Tim Cook has his entire head up his ass. I will be exiting Apple product line as soon as I can.
Can you detail out the number of audio/midi tacks and virtual instruments, plus the plugins and number of instances of these plugins you are using. I would like to know if I should purchase a MacBook pro 2017 based on your inability to create a "decent mix". Thanks for the help.
Old 31st December 2017
  #1499
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui View Post
I just tried to find an online manual for the trashcan Mac Pro. Doesn't exist - at all. Not at Apple's site, not anywhere else.

I want to know how much clearance there needs to be at the top, for sufficient airflow.
This page, About fans and fan noise in your Apple product - Apple Support, doesn't note clearance amount, just clearance. Very lame. However if its venting hot air at the top its likely it doesnt have to be much.
Old 31st December 2017
  #1500
Lives for gear
 
Lady Gaia's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui View Post
I just tried to find an online manual for the trashcan Mac Pro. Doesn't exist - at all. Not at Apple's site, not anywhere else.
There's rarely an extensive manual with hardware for the simple reason that nobody ever seems to read the things. The brief manual for the late-2013 version of the Mac Pro is here.

More specific questions are usually addressed by tech notes, and I didn't see anything in a quick search but more extensive attempts might turn something up. The vent at the top is where hot air is released, so I think it's more important that the air has somewhere to go than the exact proximity of something above it.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump