The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tim Cook on Mac Desktop commitment Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 11th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Porto View Post
So if you've had a system that has gone through several OS updates or has had a windows partition created, and you want to remove unneeded recovery or hidden windows partitions, you need to do it via command line in Terminal.
Nooooo.

You can completely mess up any Boot Camp install by using Disk Utility for formatting. Use Boot Camp Assistant to create or delete Windows partitions instead.
Old 11th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratology View Post
Nooooo.

You can completely mess up any Boot Camp install by using Disk Utility for formatting. Use Boot Camp Assistant to create or delete Windows partitions instead.
Yeah, I get that. Boot Camp has provisions for removing the hidden Win partition. But I still like the control of viewing and editing hidden partitions. Previous versions of Disk Utility had a hidden menu item that gave you access. Holding down the command key (iirc) gave you access to additional menu items.
Old 13th August 2017
not sure how many of you noticed that RED camera company has given apple an exclusive camera bundle to sell. a few weeks back.. latest rumor is RED is helping apple with the next mac pro. NOW being an avid follower of RED and its exploits... I cant afford their stuff. I hope we get RED's good design sense with out the RED price.. If you guys thing apple's prices are high go to red.com and see. NOTE that most of what RED sells is a bargin compared to the likes of the high end camera systems that in some cases you can't even Purchase period.

Just interesting if they are involved.
https://www.apple.com/us_smb_78313/s...inal-cut-pro-x
Old 18th August 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Yeah, I get that. Boot Camp has provisions for removing the hidden Win partition. But I still like the control of viewing and editing hidden partitions. Previous versions of Disk Utility had a hidden menu item that gave you access. Holding down the command key (iirc) gave you access to additional menu items.
Yes, I agree this is a letdown, though it does take somewhat deep knowledge to mess around with those partitions in many cases, so kinda make sense to limit use to the diskutil command.
Old 30th August 2017
Lives for gear

Intel releases latest Xeon chips for those interested
https://www.macrumors.com/2017/08/29...-xeon-w-chips/
Old 21st December 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mininoyz View Post
Why ? I just don't know him. I bet MacOS and iOS will some day be one. It's logical.
It's now almost official.
Old 21st December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's now almost official.
As I suspect you know, but as clarification this article, as I read it, is not really about iOS and OSX becoming "one". Rather it is about tech that would allow devs to create apps that would run in both iOS and desktop (OSX).

That is not really the same thing as combining the two operating systems at all.

In this particular case Google is the innovator. Here is a link that describes the difference in what we think of as 'apps' now and what they are likely to become.

FWIW, Microsoft UWP apps and Android apps might either fall to the side, be converted over time to Progressive Web Apps (PWA), or in some cases continue to be useful.

Microsoft has already scheduled support of PWA in Windows 10/Edge. Their IDE already supports development of 'native' apps for all platforms reusing the same code (to varying degrees). That tech is getting better all the time.

Please reference the link and note that you don't perceive these apps as running in a browser window and that with 'service workers' they run 'off-line'.

It will be very interesting to see what Apple does. I wouldn't be surprised at all if there isn't a conversion utility in order to make a current app into their version of PWA. Getting this done ASAP keeps devs invested in primarily the Apple ecosystem busy. And as we all know busy is happy $.
Old 21st December 2017
Gear Maniac

Well, the difference will be as thin as God and His Son sorry for this trivial comparison, but when you consider the deep integration of tools like iCloud, the new file system in iOS and the future app convergence, I don’t really care if we can consider the system as unique or not. Apple is wise and learn from others’ mistakes. Maybe we enter in a new transition era...
Old 21st December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well, the difference will be as thin as God and His Son sorry for this trivial comparison, but when you consider the deep integration of tools like iCloud, the new file system in iOS and the future app convergence, I don’t really care if we can consider the system as unique or not. Apple is wise and learn from others’ mistakes. Maybe we enter in a new transition era...
Well you obviously know what you are talking about.

The difference is Logic (same code as desktop) is not going to run on your phone any time soon. THAT would imply a true merge of the operating systems.

OTOH, probably most if not all of your iOs apps will run on your desktop. If that brings value to your (audio) experience, fantastic!
Old 22nd December 2017
Gear Maniac

I don’t care about 124 + tracks of Logic running on my iPhone. I just know that projects created under GB can now run under iOS or Mac, and can be opened by Logic. Now I want to run my Logic plugins on my iPad. I’d also want my great iOS synths to run directly under Logic as well. That’s pretty... logical.
Old 22nd December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don’t care about 124 + tracks of Logic running on my iPhone. I just know that projects created under GB can now run under iOS or Mac, and can be opened by Logic. Now I want to run my Logic plugins on my iPad. I’d also want my great iOS synths to run directly under Logic as well. That’s pretty... logical.
Ok. If that is what you think you are going to get with this new tech, good luck!
Old 22nd December 2017
Lives for gear

So will I be able to play Clash of Clans on my iMac?
Old 22nd December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Old 22nd December 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Well, of course! Isn't that what high tech music computing is all about? Exactly.
Old 22nd December 2017
Lives for gear
So with the new iMac Pro order available , are you afraid this could be what we asked for and not what we didn't know we really wanted? Or maybe the opposite?

Considering all components, including the display (if this is uninteresting you need to wait) are the prices acceptable and Pro? Or is it overpriced also when this is what you want?

I kinda feel non-upgradable parts makes this a no-no. I'm not impressed because of this. I don't see why this is a necessary limitation. Maybe the heat dissipation needs prohibits normal user replacement? Could it? Could it really…?
Old 22nd December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael B View Post
So with the new iMac Pro order available , are you afraid this could be what we asked for and not what we didn't know we really wanted?
When Schiller did the press briefing earlier this year, the whole tenor was that they were going to revamp the Mac Pro line and not simply absorb it into the iMac family. Realistically, if they don't do a new Mac Pro sometime soon a lot of people are just going to jump ship and move to PC.

This is just one of those situations where Apple's obsessive secrecy works against it.
Old 22nd December 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZangTumblyTumble View Post
When Schiller did the press briefing earlier this year, the whole tenor was that they were going to revamp the Mac Pro line and not simply absorb it into the iMac family.
Yes, I know that but this was about the iMac Pro and not the coming Mac Pro. As you can see I named the discussion Mac Desktop which would include the iMac.

Of course many Audio Pros probably will be better off with the Mac Pro, but for those not in the green every day, the iMac Pro may be a great "package" alternative. Especially as it's on order now and not later.
Old 23rd December 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Jones Sr View Post
The glued, soldered, mostly unfixable iMac Pro is in the range of 5000 to 14000 dollars/pounds. I honestly think anyone buying it for a studio situation has to be insane. You can buy a used 6 or 8 core 2012 Mac Pro for around 1000, with all its expandability, stick a Geforce 1070/USB3.0/SATA card in it, upgrade the ram cheaply to 32gb.
Balderdash!

Quote:
Even a totally obsolete black trashcan Mac Pro can be bought for around 1500.
That too is largely irrelevant.

Quote:
Even the existing top of the line iMac costs a fraction of the new machine and will cover 99% of needs in the studio.
50% for electronic musicians using VSTi.

Quote:
Sadly, the delay in a new redesigned 'modular' Mac Pro being forthcoming is just evidence that Apple are overdesigning it again, and it will be form over function when it finally arrives late in 2019. It will be small, thin and expandable in the sense of 'you can buy from these 2 tiers of curated Radeon eGPU boxes costing $2000 or $3500'
I don't think they will even though they've made multiple mistakes since 2013, they won't repeat those because of that. Obviously iMac Pro and Mac Pro are for different types of customers to a large extent. I can see some people using the previous for music production, like in a home studio. People ask a lot from their music machines today, effectively running dozens of real time VSTi in high quality mode and many other demanding plug-ins with low latency @96 kHz. There's no such thing as a sufficiently fast machine for this growing group of producers that do absolutely everything in the box.
Old 23rd December 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
I don't think they will even though they've made multiple mistakes since 2013, they won't repeat those because of that.
Much of what we refer to as mistakes Apple doesn't, so I never count on them shifting back towards being on target once they've strayed from one.

No matter how powerful the new iMacs are all-in-ones are inherently a compromise more than they're a solution. Everyone has their own reason why. Mine is, aside from whatever's not upgradeable and that you have to have your whole rig in the shop for a week if anything, from a faulty or cracked screen to a fan that needs replacing, comes up, is that I have several monitors around that I would want to keep utilizing when I upgrade. So much of the cost of an iMac is in the nice, high resolution monitor. I don't want to pay so much for a monitor that's better quality and more expensive than I need, when I don't even need or want one. A Pro Mini (or similar in Server format), which they've sold for ages and never put out a sensible version of, would sell like hotcakes to people who would rather just keep using their fair/decent DAW monitors. But that doesn't hit Apple's margin requirement so the most cut down, sleek, basic piece of hardware they have all the means to ship we'll never see.
Old 23rd December 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboy View Post
Much of what we refer to as mistakes Apple doesn't, so I never count on them shifting back towards being on target once they've strayed from one.
But in the case of Pro machines Apple have publicly owned up to their mistakes. This was how this thread started. Obviously there are some Pros within audio as well as Video, Programming, Science and Designers to mention a few, that can make good use of a package like the iMac Pro. Not all businesses are one man operations that buy one machine. In any business it's about the total ownership costs during the lifetime of the machine weighed against the money made with using this tool. Even for a small business $5000 is what you can make in one week or less. OK, maybe not in a music only business, but that really depends doesn't it?

I think it would be wise by Apple to differentiate between packages like the iMac Pro, Mac Pro, Macbook Pro and an imagined Mac Pro Mini. The latter would be basically a MBP in a box without a display. I don't see such a Mini cannibalizing sales of Mac Pros or MBPs. iMacs and iMac Pros, maybe.

Apple's computer market isn't fixed in size and they sell a whole lot of machines every quarter. With the right machines, and less OS update idiocies, they could double that. It's up to them if they want to be a contender though. They've said they want to. Let's see how that plays out.
Old 23rd December 2017
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
But in the case of Pro machines Apple have publicly owned up to their mistakes.
Where, how..?
Old 23rd December 2017
Lives for gear

Srsly just google.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui View Post
Where, how..?
Apple admits the Mac Pro was a mess - The Verge
Old 23rd December 2017
Lives for gear

Really?

An 8 core Xeon with 64GB ram, 1TB SSD and a 27" 5k monitor for $1250? Tell me where??

Also you shouldnt be surprised that a used desktop from 2012 is cheaper than a new 2018 machine

Quote:
The glued, soldered, mostly unfixable iMac Pro is in the range of 5000 to 14000 dollars/pounds. I honestly think anyone buying it for a studio situation has to be insane. You can buy a used 6 or 8 core 2012 Mac Pro for around 1000, with all its expandability, stick a Geforce 1070/USB3.0/SATA card in it, upgrade the ram cheaply to 32gb. Even a totally obsolete black trashcan Mac Pro can be bought for around 1500.

You could buy 2 Trashcans and 2 5.1 Mac Pro's for the cost of the base model iMac Pro. Or you could build 4 fantastic workstation studio PCs, and not worry about the day 3 years down the line when the graphics card shows a black screen and your iMac Pro is out of Applecare.

Even the existing top of the line iMac costs a fraction of the new machine and will cover 99% of needs in the studio.

Sadly, the delay in a new redesigned 'modular' Mac Pro being forthcoming is just evidence that Apple are overdesigning it again, and it will be form over function when it finally arrives late in 2019. It will be small, thin and expandable in the sense of 'you can buy from these 2 tiers of curated Radeon eGPU boxes costing $2000 or $3500'

They're not making an actual PCIE slot expandable tower...you know it
Old 23rd December 2017
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowkey View Post
I had never heard of this before, and I doubt many on GS will have either. One measly, invitation-only press event. Unnamed sources: "One of Apple’s top executives reportedly said."

It will take a lot more than this kind of hide-and-seek game to convince me that Apple are serious about the pro market.
Old 23rd December 2017
Gear Maniac

After reading this article, I’d say it wasn’t a mistake. It was a bet, and Apple lost it. As many Apple ´innovations’, the idea is explained in this sentence of the article : ´was designed to fit two smaller graphics chips, but the industry didn’t move in that direction.´ And that’s not the first time Apple tried to give such direction to the industry. Think about USB, FW or TB...
Old 24th December 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
I had never heard of this before, and I doubt many on GS will have either. One measly, invitation-only press event. Unnamed sources: "One of Apple’s top executives reportedly said."

It will take a lot more than this kind of hide-and-seek game to convince me that Apple are serious about the pro market.
Well, if you're hell bent to not follow tech media you might have missed this.

I agree Apple have to release and deliver.
Old 24th December 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
And that’s not the first time Apple tried to give such direction to the industry. Think about USB, FW or TB...
All connectivity so I don't see how this compares to a form factor compromise. What was behind the alleged could be Apple's failure to listen to Pro users in any kind of production.
Old 24th December 2017
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
Well, if you're hell bent to not follow tech media you might have missed this.
What is that supposed to mean? I'm not an Apple fanboy, and I don't obsessively follow the tech press either. Frankly, none of the things the big players have been doing or offering lately I find particularly interesting or helpful.
Old 24th December 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
What is that supposed to mean? I'm not an Apple fanboy, and I don't obsessively follow the tech press either. Frankly, none of the things the big players have been doing or offering lately I find particularly interesting or helpful.
It means that if you want news you have to follow news. If you want Apple to call you and apologize directly to you personally you have to take it up with them. I don't really follow tech news, not even Apple news, but I had no problem knowing this.

Here are some quotes from Apple's Phil Schiller in John Gruber's piece "The Mac Pro Lives" (Daring Fireball, April 4 2017):

Quote:
"The current Mac Pro, as we’ve said a few times, was constrained thermally and it restricted our ability to upgrade it. And for that, we’re sorry to disappoint customers who wanted that, and we’ve asked the team to go and re-architect and design something great for the future that those Mac Pro customers who want more expandability, more upgradability in the future. It’ll meet more of those needs."
(My bold)

Further from the same article, again Schiller:

Quote:
"As we’ve said, we made something bold that we thought would be great for the majority of our Mac Pro users. And what we discovered was that it was great for some and not others. Enough so that we need to take another path. One of the good things, hopefully, with Apple through the years has been a willingness to say when something isn’t quite what we wanted it do be, didn’t live up to expectations, to not be afraid to admit it and look for the next answer."
and more quotes from Schiller:
Quote:
"With regards to the Mac Pro, we are in the process of what we call “completely rethinking the Mac Pro”. We’re working on it. We have a team working hard on it right now, and we want to architect it so that we can keep it fresh with regular improvements, and we’re committed to making it our highest-end, high-throughput desktop system, designed for our demanding pro customers.

As part of doing a new Mac Pro — it is, by definition, a modular system — we will be doing a pro display as well. Now you won’t see any of those products this year; we’re in the process of that. We think it’s really important to create something great for our pro customers who want a Mac Pro modular system, and that’ll take longer than this year to do.

In the interim, we know there are a number of customers who continue to buy our [current Mac Pros]. To be clear, our current Mac Pro has met the needs of some of our customers, and we know clearly not all of our customers. None of this is black and white, it’s a wide variety of customers. Some… it’s the kind of system they wanted; others, it was not."
Most of this should not come as surprise for most participants of this discussion.
Old 24th December 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
All connectivity so I don't see how this compares to a form factor compromise. What was behind the alleged could be Apple's failure to listen to Pro users in any kind of production.
That’s a customer point of view. Now think Apple leads a mass market, not a niche. They want to set industry’s standards. Smaller graphic cards was apparently their goal with the trash can. Now, is it a real fail ? Was it so bad ? It was an industrial fail, because the industry hasn’t followed their goal. It was the same story with FW vs USB 1, 2, 3... I won’t even talk about SCSI or Motorola chips. The whole industry history is about bets. This kind of fail certainly explains why Apple is no more an innovator, but more a follower who refines others fails to make successful toys.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search