The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tim Cook on Mac Desktop commitment Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 5th June 2017
Lives for gear
Will be interesting to hear how loud the iMac pro thunder fans are. Hoping it's quieter than the cheese grater.
Old 5th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratology View Post
Haha, obligatory post every time Apple introduces new products. Music players (iPods) from a computer company? No floppy drives on computers? No headphone jacks on phones? They have completely lost the plot. Blah. Blah. Blah.

Expensive iMac? B-b-but you can buy an underspecced crappy homebuilt PC for a fraction of the price! DRAMA.

Remember the Macbook Pro announcement last year? Outcry!! Now the sales numbers are in, and Apple sells more Macs than ever, while sales for the rest of the PC industry declined, again. Including Surface, sales down over 25% in the last quarter. But never let reality interfere with a good Apple bashing.
<SNIP - no need for insults> for a half you can get a more powerfull computer.

Last edited by psycho_monkey; 6th June 2017 at 04:12 AM..
Old 5th June 2017
Gear Addict

As Apple stated, the iMac Pro will be for demanding graphic professionals.
Old 5th June 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by login View Post
, for a half you can get a more powerfull computer.
And what about the 27inch 5k screen to go with your PC?

I'll be watching this with great interest. I don't expect it will be cheap, but it's designed for pros who hammer out work every day, for hours at a time. Hi end sample libraries, massive data movements.

Not for the odd spot of Ableton at the weekend or fannying around with Apple Loops.

If they're throwing this much at the iMac, what on earth are they doing with the upcoming Mac Pro?

Last edited by psycho_monkey; 6th June 2017 at 04:12 AM..
Old 5th June 2017
Lives for gear

as a person that runs a business, it makes zero economical sense to invest in apple. there's profits to keep in mind, how do you make money if your computers cost 5k each?

People will still buy this expensive aluminum but no "pros" are emptying bank accounts for computing power. I wouldn't hold my breathe on the mac pros being priced in a functional way.
Old 5th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Your ignorance is strong
then

Quote:
powerfull
Old 5th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claborn View Post
as a person that runs a business, it makes zero economical sense to invest in apple. there's profits to keep in mind, how do you make money if your computers cost 5k each?

People will still buy this expensive aluminum but no "pros" are emptying bank accounts for computing power. I wouldn't hold my breathe on the mac pros being priced in a functional way.
Autodesk software (which is used by pros), costs a couple of grand a year for some of the titles. Yes, a year. Granted, it's extremely high end CAD software, but that is what the iMac Pro is designed for.

You also conveniently skipped over the fact that Apple announced other iMac models today, at price points just north of $1k, machines which are more than capable of handling Logic Pro X.
Old 5th June 2017
This looks like the perfect candidate to replace my 2011 iMac, which in six years has handled everything I've thrown at it, been used for hours everyday and still runs the latest and greatest software. Only multiple Spitefire mics have tripped it up.

The iMac is a great candidate for hard work. Anyone who says otherwise has never used one/is regurgitating stuff they've read on forums. This new machine looks like an absolute beast and I reckon a lot of folks who were gunning for mac pros will be taking a long look.

I best start saving then.
Old 5th June 2017
Lives for gear

Here's where the WWDC 2017 videos will be posted in the next few days.

I often find what's in the sessions more interesting than what's in the Keynote. Example: moving away from jpeg and h.264 is, for me, more interesting than new exercise features in Apple Watch. APFS - yippee.
Old 6th June 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by timemist View Post
I bet you're wrong.

The screen is a 5k screen, and the machine is spec'd to handle VR. In case you didn't notice, VR encompasses not only visuals, but sound design and... music.

I said Design and Ad houses for that reason. The 5K screen. I don't think Logic is gonna benefit that much from a 5K screen. Also this is not the Price for the Top of the Line Imac Pro. Far from the fully loaded price tag.
Old 6th June 2017
Gear Head

Wonder what the mac enthusiasts think of this? The aesthetics can't possibly justify the price this time.
Old 6th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Jones Sr View Post
If you only need one or two of them, for some of us this might equate to a week to a month's profit spent on a computer which will be used for perhaps 5 years. If choosing that computer means you have less time-wasting headaches, it will pay for itself over and over again. It is after all, the one thing that someone will sit at all day long and contain all the work being produced.
I purchased my 2011 mbp used in 2014, it's lasted me 3 years and will last me another 2.

I don't need to spend 5k to make a computer last 5 years. Apple is too little too late to this party. I'd rather buy a used 2013 machine at this point and see what they come up with in 2019.
Old 6th June 2017
Gear Maniac

Would be cool if it were downgradeable. Dump some of the fancy graphics stuff that I don't care about/need to focus on the stuff I do need/want at a more reasonable price point. Like, yeah, it's a "pro" computer, but pretty broad in that it's covering several professions all at once. I produce and record music, I don't need a 5K display and God's graphics card. 16 cores sounds nice though.
Old 6th June 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
I said Design and Ad houses for that reason. The 5K screen. I don't think Logic is gonna benefit that much from a 5K screen. Also this is not the Price for the Top of the Line Imac Pro. Far from the fully loaded price tag.
The 5k screen (with the resolution topped) actually works out great with LPX. Lotsa screen real estate
Attached Thumbnails
Tim Cook on Mac Desktop commitment-screen-shot-2017-06-05-9.57.42-pm.jpg  
Old 6th June 2017
Gear Maniac

Oh man, that's actually awesome haha.
Old 6th June 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by brothertony View Post
Oh man, that's actually awesome haha.
LOL! I know right? I love it!
Old 6th June 2017
Quote:

We just bought a mac pro trashcan (and the sonnet chassis to make it usable in a music context). Pricey yes; but it makes every sense. I've not really had to think about computer issues, and everyone who comes in is running apple laptops (thinking predominantly writer/producers) so session transfer is a breeze. Our writing room is set up around expecting someone to come in with a Mac Laptop; in about 6 months one person has wanted to run PC.

Pros are still very much buying Apple. If anything, they're more popular than ever amongst music makers.
Old 6th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
We just bought a mac pro trashcan (and the sonnet chassis to make it usable in a music context). Pricey yes; but it makes every sense. I've not really had to think about computer issues, and everyone who comes in is running apple laptops (thinking predominantly writer/producers) so session transfer is a breeze. Our writing room is set up around expecting someone to come in with a Mac Laptop; in about 6 months one person has wanted to run PC.

Pros are still very much buying Apple. If anything, they're more popular than ever amongst music makers.
pros are running old apple machines. nobody i know in LA is running anything newer than the cheese grater. trash can mac is the most over priced tech of the 2000s

Last edited by Claborn; 6th June 2017 at 04:50 AM..
Old 6th June 2017
Lives for gear
Personally, I am blown away by the iMac Pro announcement. 128 GB RAM, 18 cores, WOW!!!! This is basically everything I could ever dream of.

Now regarding the price, I'm not surprised it's high. These are server-grade components, Xeon CPUs, ECC RAM. You should see the prices we pay for servers at work with similar specs.

Exhibit A (HP Server with 16 cores and 128 GB RAM): PROVANTAGE: HPE 816816-B21 HPE DL580 GEN9 E7-4850V4 4P 128GB Server
Old 6th June 2017
Lives for gear

I'm guessing the pricing is going to be pretty good value, sure you can build your own.

The Xeon 18 core is going to cost $2000

Like check this out, it's the first link that came up for me $3000:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16883152214

and that's without the $2000 chip, 5K screen and Vega GPU

18 core will probably be $10000!

plus Apple has got the sexiness built right in

I wonder if Apple will be able to implement Turbo Boost 3.0 because it's possible to overclock as i have it in my hackintosh but it's not quite the same thing (windows somehow does it software wise)

Last edited by ekwipt; 6th June 2017 at 06:28 AM..
Old 6th June 2017
Lives for gear

this reminds me of the Transformer movies... they put out good trailers and spotless marketing... but the actual product leaves that bitter taste lol

Where are all the iPad Pros that were supposed to change production? Trashcan macs were the future... *crickets*... anybody seen a touchbar mbp in the wild?? same thing every wwdc, we go gaga over specs and cool power points but where's the real world applications?
Old 6th June 2017
Lives for gear

I'm pretty excited will grab anew iPad Pro and Home Pod when it comes out? Not really sure what you mean, i thought it was a great Presentation
Old 6th June 2017
Gear Head

120w 18 cores cpu in an Imac ? A wedding between an old concept and new components.

We will see but I have serious doubt about the reliability of this machine...
Old 6th June 2017
Quote:
pros are running old apple machines. nobody i know in LA is running anything newer than the cheese grater. trash can mac is the most over priced tech of the 2000s
I know a fair few people aside from us with new Mac pros. I don't see many cheesgraters at all anymore; I see. Lot of musos with new and nearly new laptops though. We've got a couple in the studio right now.

It's frustrating (and for some, cost prohibitive) to have to spend extra to get a decent form factor. But my current studio rig has been great; with the sonnet chassis (for 3 extra swappable drive bays and pcie slots), HDX and a uad box, it's been the best system I've ever used. We spent nearly aus$17k all up (trash can with upgraded RAM, chassis, HDX and one interface) but it's saved so much time in workflow it's a small expense in the grand scheme of things.
Old 6th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
I know a fair few people aside from us with new Mac pros. I don't see many cheesgraters at all anymore; I see. Lot of musos with new and nearly new laptops though. We've got a couple in the studio right now.

It's frustrating (and for some, cost prohibitive) to have to spend extra to get a decent form factor. But my current studio rig has been great; with the sonnet chassis (for 3 extra swappable drive bays and pcie slots), HDX and a uad box, it's been the best system I've ever used. We spent nearly aus$17k all up (trash can with upgraded RAM, chassis, HDX and one interface) but it's saved so much time in workflow it's a small expense in the grand scheme of things.
that's insane to me. I've helped build countless studios and the name of the game was to do everything ourselves and spend as little as possible and still get a great sound. We're sound engineers, not consumers lol

even the most decorated studios i know skimp out on toilet paper, let alone spend 17k!
Old 6th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by timemist View Post
Autodesk software (which is used by pros), costs a couple of grand a year for some of the titles. Yes, a year. Granted, it's extremely high end CAD software, but that is what the iMac Pro is designed for.

Absolutely.
SideFX Houdini 3d rendering software is $4500 for a license , plus $2500 a year for upgrades. Unity3D game engine is 1400 a year. TheFoundry Modo 3d software is $1800. NukeX video compositing software is .... $9500 for a license.

The iMacPro ( and the upcoming modular MacPro ) is squarely aimed at those power users. Frankly the price is not that bad for the package you're getting.
It's not for Facebooking or the occasional GarageBand jamming.

I say Apple heard the complaints about the lack of real pro high end machines loud and clear, and they're coming back with a vengeance.
Old 6th June 2017
Quote:
that's insane to me. I've helped build countless studios and the name of the game was to do everything ourselves and spend as little as possible and still get a great sound. We're sound engineers, not consumers lol

even the most decorated studios i know skimp out on toilet paper, let alone spend 17k!
Depends on who you are and who your clients are! Cutting corners isn't worth it if you lose time in the long run.

We recently opened a writing studio - it took me a year of persuading we needed it. I got a 20k budget - could have spent less, but I wanted to make sure the product made there could be used, that it wasn't just a demo space, so I got a top notch mic channel, put a decent vintage 87 in there, and made sure the monitoring was decent.

Since we've had it, it's been booked 5-7 days per week - there's rarely an empty day. We charge it back to the artist at a peppercorn rate (it's a label facility); but not only is it paying for itself (the gear will be covered within the year at this rate), we're also saving more than $200 in external space rentals for every session that happens in house.

So spending 20k is actually a smart move. Likewise spending 17k is nothing if it saves me an hour a day (as offline rendering of stuff sometimes does). That's heading towards $700-1k/ week of value saved. So again - in under a year, it's paid for itself.

I could do it cheaper, but not as reliably..and having the "proper" thing means the right image too.

(and no - unless it's a private place that just happens to be successful for it's owner/operator, no high end studio skimps on toilet paper!)
Old 6th June 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman View Post
I say Apple heard the complaints about the lack of real pro high end machines loud and clear, and they're coming back with a vengeance.
This iMac is not upgradable and will not be able to hold a long 3D render and such a machine for audio pro is useless plus the "mirror screen" is a no-go for graphic designer, photo pro, etc.

It is not a "real pro machine" only a wrong concept as the mac pro 2013 has been.
Old 6th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekwipt View Post
I'm guessing the pricing is going to be pretty good value, sure you can build your own.

The Xeon 18 core is going to cost $2000
AMD is the dark horse in this equation at the moment though, by the time the iMac Pro is released we'll have a better idea what the competition is. If the AMD Threadripper clock speed is higher than the Xeon then the 16 cores could beat the 18 cores of the iMac Pro.

We'll see what happens with Intel's pricing after that and Naples server chips are out too.
Old 6th June 2017
Gear Nut

Personally I think this is a good move for Apple, and a very good option for users. Some may not like the form factor, and some may. People have the choice to pick a Windows machine, or wait and see what Apple do with the Mac pro line. Some people may not like the cost. People can pick a Windows machine or a consumer iMac (prefect for a lot of situations - including mine).

Two things are for sure:
1. These new iMac Pro machines have high end technology inside (a massive leap forward in grunt for content creators). Of course with a price to match - as you'd expect.
2. The power you can stick inside a form factors like laptops and AIO grows year by year, so the desktop/tower will disappear in the not so distant further.

Hey Mahadeva, please keep in mind, its a "pro iMac". I would imagine for a good percentage of content creators this type of machine would be perfect. I wish I could afford to buy one when they get released, however, I'll do just fine with what I have for a few more years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahadeva View Post
It is not a "real pro machine" only a wrong concept as the mac pro 2013 has been.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search