The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tim Cook on Mac Desktop commitment Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 6th April 2017
  #721
qwe
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by login View Post
Well I would expect the Tesla to drive it self so I can enjoy netflix on the iPad.
Whatever happened to taking a drive to get away from it all and clear your head? :-(
Old 6th April 2017
  #722
Here for the gear
 

heads are so 20th century
Old 7th April 2017
  #723
Lives for gear
 
lowkey's Avatar
 

iMacs with Xeon processors??

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/04/06...-late-october/
Old 12th May 2017
  #724
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeaudio View Post
Sure, something seems to be happening - expect if the pricing will be so ridiculous that people won't buy it and go for a Hackintosh or PC DAW instead.
Of course these machines will cost some serious money. But if they answers to what Pros really do want, what they need, these new boxes will sell.

But they're all vapour-ware so far. Label me sceptic.
Old 26th May 2017
  #725
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Jones Sr View Post
I am gonna predict that when the new Mac Pro finally arrives, there will be…
yeah, yeah. So you lost faith. Welcome to the club. Stop the pre-emptive whining already and go use your future proof Windows 10 machine. No-one really cares what OS you run on what hardware. They care what you produce with it.

As I see it that's all what's left once Apple have spat us in the face one time too many.
Old 29th May 2017
  #726
Lives for gear
 
lowkey's Avatar
 

Then what?
Irrespective of what they do I predict whining.
More whining.
:P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Jones Sr View Post
I am gonna predict that when the new Mac Pro finally arrives, there will be some show stopping bizarre design feature most likely caused by Jonny Ive's people. I'm guessing something along the lines of, the Mac Pro will be modular yes, but modular as in, barebones unit in a strange shape with underpowered cpu. Optional upgrades at great cost will be choosing a suitable CPU (that will be a year out of date), and an upgrade to the basic Iris Pro graphics will involve a 2nd matching odd shaped box connected via USB-C with the choice of two graphics cards, both AMD, and it'll be possible to connect two of these boxes at once for more speed, expense and noise. All the expansion on the 2018 Mac Pro will be USB-C thunderbolt ports, there will be no ethernet or traditional USB ports. The base cost will be $7000. Phil Schiller will talk about how awesome it is. Everyone with sense will buy a more powerful PC workstation at 1/3 the cost. In time Adobe will drop support for Mac because of eating to many resources dealing with annual OS breakage and few Mac customers. Trump will stand down. Dwayne 'The Rock' elected president. Alien disclosure occurs. Half life 3 is announced. One of 2 OSCs will be detuned. Than what?
Old 29th May 2017
  #727
Lives for gear
 
nativeaudio's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowkey View Post
Then what?
Irrespective of what they do I predict whining.
More whining.
:P
So what? People whine for a reason. And Apple publishes statements like this


Apple confirms: 'We are hard at work on the next version of Logic Pro' - Macworld UK

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/02/28...rea-important/

...for a reason as well: a large number of Apple users think the development of of Mac Pros, Mac Book Pros, Logic Pro etc is way too slow.
Old 29th May 2017
  #728
Tui
Gear Guru
 
Tui's Avatar
I am glad I read those articles. I feel much better now, knowing that "Apple CEO Tim Cook did confirm earlier this year that a new Mac Pro will be launched in 2013."

Old 29th May 2017
  #729
Gear Guru
 
Muser's Avatar
I heard Ive's now spends more than 50% of his time on Gearslutz asking about what's the best microphone preamps.
meanwhile, I rarely go out any more, just in case someone owns a Tesla and is busy reading sound on sound magazine or surfing the internet.
Old 29th May 2017
  #730
Lives for gear
 
lowkey's Avatar
 

So I guess you're predicting more whining too then.


Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeaudio View Post
So what? People whine for a reason. And Apple publishes statements like this


Apple confirms: 'We are hard at work on the next version of Logic Pro' - Macworld UK

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/02/28...rea-important/

...for a reason as well: a large number of Apple users think the development of of Mac Pros, Mac Book Pros, Logic Pro etc is way too slow.
Old 5th June 2017
  #731
Gear Maniac
 

WWDC17 : it looks like the Mac is not dead (18 core Xeon for the Mac Pro ). I'm pretty sure there was an Apple spy on this thread. Tim Cook has been so afraid to lose GS Mac users, he heard our complaints and made THE ultimate machine. He's our Santa Claus. Btw the Mac Pro comes in December, with an astronomical price tag.
Old 5th June 2017
  #732
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mininoyz View Post
WWDC17 : . Btw the iMac Pro comes in December, with an astronomical price tag.
The imac pro base model. Spec'ed up... I can only imagine the sticker shock. ugg.. Think I might just opt for the new regular imac spec'ed up but I sure do like the space gray imac pro color scheme.
Old 5th June 2017
  #733
Lives for gear
 
jwh1192's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by xgman View Post
The imac pro base model. Spec'ed up... I can only imagine the sticker shock. ugg.. Think I might just opt for the new regular imac spec'ed up but I sure do like the space gray imac pro color scheme.
says 4999.00 as the entry price .. for the iMac pro
Old 5th June 2017
  #734
Lives for gear
No one is gonna buy a 5000.00 IMAC. They have lost the Plot! There only hope can be Ad and design agencies because music ain't going for this. 5 Racks for a computer with a 27" screen? No thanks. What is the Mac Mini gonna be, 3000.00?
Old 5th June 2017
  #735
Lives for gear
 
jwh1192's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
No one is gonna buy a 5000.00 IMAC. They have lost the Plot! There only hope can be Ad and design agencies because music ain't going for this. 5 Racks for a computer with a 27" screen? No thanks. What is the Mac Mini gonna be, 3000.00?
a customized iMac right now is about 4 G's .. 4.0 ghz 27" with 5K display .. 32Gb ram

the Xeon Processors are more expensive .. my question is Fans ?? this thing is going to get hot when pushed .. and loud ??
Old 5th June 2017
  #736
Lives for gear
 
noiseflaw's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
No one is gonna buy a 5000.00 IMAC. They have lost the Plot! There only hope can be Ad and design agencies because music ain't going for this. 5 Racks for a computer with a 27" screen? No thanks. What is the Mac Mini gonna be, 3000.00?
Yep.

There had better be 'and just one more thing' at the end of this conference about a new desktop mac pro that is kickass and upgradeable.

However... I bet there is not.


-----

Wow - thats it, the phuckkin iMac Pro [starts at $5000]!!! was their big reveal.

Crazy.
Old 5th June 2017
  #737
Lives for gear
 
stratology's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
They have lost the Plot!
Haha, obligatory post every time Apple introduces new products. Music players (iPods) from a computer company? No floppy drives on computers? No headphone jacks on phones? They have completely lost the plot. Blah. Blah. Blah.

Expensive iMac? B-b-but you can buy an underspecced crappy homebuilt PC for a fraction of the price! DRAMA.


Remember the Macbook Pro announcement last year? Outcry!! Now the sales numbers are in, and Apple sells more Macs than ever, while sales for the rest of the PC industry declined, again. Including Surface, sales down over 25% in the last quarter. But never let reality interfere with a good Apple bashing.
Old 5th June 2017
  #738
Gear Maniac
 

But wait, someone at Apple forgot 'one more thing' : why don't we create the ultimate speaker using our unsold trashcans ? The HomePod Pro. The Siri speaker with a 3100$ price tag. Even better in stereo
Old 5th June 2017
  #739
Lives for gear
4 inch woofer lol
Old 5th June 2017
  #740
Lives for gear
 
nativeaudio's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh1192 View Post
says 4999.00 as the entry price .. for the iMac pro
Imagine what the price tag will be for the upcoming Mac Pro.
Old 5th June 2017
  #741
Lives for gear
 
jwh1192's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeaudio View Post
Imagine what the price tag will be for the upcoming Mac Pro.
my guess would be 5000.00 without a monitor ..
Old 5th June 2017
  #742
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratology View Post
Haha, obligatory post every time Apple introduces new products. Music players (iPods) from a computer company? No floppy drives on computers? No headphone jacks on phones? They have completely lost the plot. Blah. Blah. Blah.

Expensive iMac? B-b-but you can buy an underspecced crappy homebuilt PC for a fraction of the price! DRAMA.


Remember the Macbook Pro announcement last year? Outcry!! Now the sales numbers are in, and Apple sells more Macs than ever, while sales for the rest of the PC industry declined, again. Including Surface, sales down over 25% in the last quarter. But never let reality interfere with a good Apple bashing.
This just shows that there are more gullible and uninformed people than ever before (see how I tried to skirt around the word "stupid" ).. ready to throw their money away. Just look at the current climate of "informed" consumers.

Not that I'm complaining as it doesn't really affect me personally.
Old 5th June 2017
  #743
Lives for gear
 
timemist's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseflaw View Post
Yep.

There had better be 'and just one more thing' at the end of this conference about a new desktop mac pro that is kickass and upgradeable.

However... I bet there is not.


-----

Wow - thats it, the phuckkin iMac Pro [starts at $5000]!!! was their big reveal.

Crazy.
It is entirely consistent with what they said in the April press conference, which was that there would be a pro level iMac this year, and a new modular Mac Pro line and separate Apple pro displays in 2018.
Old 5th June 2017
  #744
Lives for gear
 
stratology's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanic View Post
Not that I'm complaining as it doesn't really affect me personally
So you're a PC user coming to a thread about Tim Cook and Apple to do what? Troll?

Thanks for your valued opinion about products you don't actually use. Much appreciated.
Old 5th June 2017
  #745
Lives for gear
 
spaceman's Avatar
 

Don't forget you're getting a high quality 5k monitor for that price. It may not matter to audio people, but I think it will sell pretty well for video pros.
I'd rather wait for the modular MacPro though.
Old 5th June 2017
  #746
Lives for gear
 
spaceman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
No one is gonna buy a 5000.00 IMAC. They have lost the Plot! There only hope can be Ad and design agencies because music ain't going for this. 5 Racks for a computer with a 27" screen? No thanks. What is the Mac Mini gonna be, 3000.00?
Do you need that much power ? Because otherwise iMacs start at $1000
Old 5th June 2017
  #747
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratology View Post
Haha, obligatory post every time Apple introduces new products. Music players (iPods) from a computer company? No floppy drives on computers? No headphone jacks on phones? They have completely lost the plot. Blah. Blah. Blah.

Expensive iMac? B-b-but you can buy an underspecced crappy homebuilt PC for a fraction of the price! DRAMA.


Remember the Macbook Pro announcement last year? Outcry!! Now the sales numbers are in, and Apple sells more Macs than ever, while sales for the rest of the PC industry declined, again. Including Surface, sales down over 25% in the last quarter. But never let reality interfere with a good Apple bashing.
By plot I meant pure economics. I will be happy to be wrong but I doubt that top of the Line current Imac is anywhere near there Top seller. I would guess that they sale more Mac Pros. The point is the power is great but making the entry Point that High is a huge jump from what there current Top of the Line model. If people will pay it then great for Apple! My guess is people will be looking at the Consumer Imac line up and see how much it has been upgraded. Also the comparison is not to any PC product. This puts Apple in competition with there own product! Very few people need that much of a Power increase over current models to feel they have enough Headroom! The group that do will much more likely go for a Mac Pro. I know at least 2 Pros here in L.A. that have bought older
Refurbed Macs that were Top of the line for there time! Put 2 together and even Scoring is no issue.

People do want and need more Power but Price does also matter in an industry where the Checks for many have gotten smaller.
Old 5th June 2017
  #748
Lives for gear
 
timemist's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
No one is gonna buy a 5000.00 IMAC.
I bet you're wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
They have lost the Plot! There only hope can be Ad and design agencies because music ain't going for this. 5 Racks for a computer with a 27" screen?
The screen is a 5k screen, and the machine is spec'd to handle VR. In case you didn't notice, VR encompasses not only visuals, but sound design and... music.
Old 5th June 2017
  #749
Lives for gear
 
stratology's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
I will be happy to be wrong but I doubt that top of the Line current Imac is anywhere near there Top seller. I would guess that they sale more Mac Pros.
On the recent roundtable where Apple announced the new Mac Pros they stated that about 80% of the computers they sell are laptops, and that Mac Pros are in the low single percentage range - so they do sell more iMacs than Mac Pros, but you're correct that the iMac is not their top seller.
Old 5th June 2017
  #750
Lives for gear
 
timemist's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratology View Post
On the recent roundtable where Apple announced the new Mac Pros they stated that about 80% of the computers they sell are laptops, and that Mac Pros are in the low single percentage range - so they do sell more iMacs than Mac Pros, but you're correct that the iMac is not their top seller.
I think that lost in all the noise is that Apple renewed it's commitment overall today to Macs. There are new laptops from consumer to professional, new iMacs from consumer to professional, and coming next year, Mac Pro's and displays.

And yet we seem to get a bunch of people complaining about the price of the highest end iMac (completely leaving out any mention of the rest of the new line). It doesn't make sense.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump