The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tim Cook on Mac Desktop commitment Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 1st April 2017
  #662
qwe
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
That's the 5th time today!
Old 1st April 2017
  #663
Gear Guru
 
UnderTow's Avatar
Quote:
Ouch!

Alistair
Old 1st April 2017
  #664
Lives for gear
OMG! GET OVER IT!

You don't need a frigging Mac! They have you trained like dog begging for scraps at the table.

Just go TRY another computer you will soon discover how stupid you were to pay twice what you had to for the privillage of........well, NOTHING!

It used to be creatives all used Mac's and they were BETTER. For collaboration and security a Mac was the thing to have, but those days are long since gone

It's time to take the Red pill, bust out of the Matrix and expose the Mac brainwashed BS

YOU DON'T NEED THEM ANYMORE!

These threads of "Oh No my Mac! Will I have one? The sky is falling!" are pitiful,

You have been BRANDED by a company, does that feel good?

Man the f$%k up, and LOSE THE MAC, you are paying THEM to invade your privacy and farm your data, THEY should be paying YOU
Old 1st April 2017
  #665
Lives for gear
 
spaceman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrible.dee View Post
Man the f$%k up, and LOSE THE MAC, you are paying THEM to invade your privacy and farm your data, THEY should be paying YOU
Most hilarious thing I've read on this thread.

Right, unlike Google ( and unfortunately recently Microsoft with Win10, although that wasn't the case before ) who are NOT basing their entire business on privacy invading and data farming and are known for being very respectful of privacy. unlike Apple....

There are a LOT of things pissing me off about Apple recently, but you're using pretty much the one argument that's actually in their favor, Apple is right now the only behemoth company where a semblant of privacy is still respected, even if it is for cynical reasons ( they're making their money on hardware ).

PS: Or maybe your post was actually sarcastic and I didn't get the April 1st humor ?

Last edited by spaceman; 1st April 2017 at 04:42 PM..
Old 1st April 2017
  #666
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowkey View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by frequey View Post
I'm pretty sure apple's plan is;

Say "we are committed to desktop"

Watch stock and net worth grow by 50%

Use 3% of that new money...

"We are buying (fill in niche hackintosh maker name here) and releasing brand new desktop series"
Yeah sure. The thought of new Desktops despite being a tiny percentage of their income, is going to send their stocks through the roof! LOL.

I hope most gearslutz are better producers than economists :P
Well since the article on dec 16, apple's market cap has grown by 125 Billion (...one HUNDRED and twenty-five BILLION, ..since mid December). Clearly investors were happy to know that desktops will soon be coming out for all the audio producers out there.

But alas, they still don't have enough market cap to justify filling the dire need for us audio guys, which could supply them with like... oh I don't know, like a couple hundred thousand in revenue. But they will help us out, just waiting for market cap to hit 1T I'm guessing? I guess they're just not in a big hurry to step in front of that moving train :P

Last edited by frequey; 1st April 2017 at 05:20 PM..
Old 1st April 2017
  #667
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Great stuff
Old 1st April 2017
  #668
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrible.dee View Post
It's time to take the Red pill, bust out of the Matrix and expose the Mac brainwashed BS.
I think it's maybe you who should be taking the Red Pill.
Old 1st April 2017
  #669
Gear Guru
 
UnderTow's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwe View Post
That's the 5th time today!
I wonder how many of those 298 million views were from people genuinely wanting to see that video. I bet the guy never thought his career would get a second wind as a result of someone's practical joke that somehow went and stayed viral for years!

Alistair
Old 1st April 2017
  #670
qwe
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow View Post
I wonder how many of those 298 million views were from people genuinely wanting to see that video. I bet the guy never thought his career would get a second wind as a result of someone's practical joke that somehow went and stayed viral for years!

Alistair
It's a total oddity, that's for sure.

Funny thing is Rick Astley more or less binned his own career at its peak. He was absolutely massive.

I may never want to hear _that_ song again, but, hey, if it keeps Stock Aitken Waterman's (extremely underrated) music around, I'm all for it.
Old 1st April 2017
  #671
Gear Guru
 
UnderTow's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwe View Post
It's a total oddity, that's for sure.

Funny thing is Rick Astley more or less binned his own career at its peak. He was absolutely massive.

I may never want to hear _that_ song again, but, hey, if it keeps Stock Aitken Waterman's (extremely underrated) music around, I'm all for it.
I'm not a huge fan of their music but their talent and skills are undeniable! They dominated the pop charts for a decade or so. Quite an achievement!

Alistair
Old 2nd April 2017
  #672
Lives for gear
 
Joe Porto's Avatar
 

What about the folks who have been using Logic for years, and may have thousands invested in Apogee gear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrible.dee View Post
OMG! GET OVER IT!

You don't need a frigging Mac! They have you trained like dog begging for scraps at the table.

Just go TRY another computer you will soon discover how stupid you were to pay twice what you had to for the privillage of........well, NOTHING!

It used to be creatives all used Mac's and they were BETTER. For collaboration and security a Mac was the thing to have, but those days are long since gone

It's time to take the Red pill, bust out of the Matrix and expose the Mac brainwashed BS

YOU DON'T NEED THEM ANYMORE!

These threads of "Oh No my Mac! Will I have one? The sky is falling!" are pitiful,

You have been BRANDED by a company, does that feel good?

Man the f$%k up, and LOSE THE MAC, you are paying THEM to invade your privacy and farm your data, THEY should be paying YOU
Old 2nd April 2017
  #673
Lives for gear
 
norbury brook's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Porto View Post
What about the folks who have been using Logic for years, and may have thousands invested in Apogee gear?
sell it and move on.


That's what a lot of Logic PC users had to do when they went Mac only.

I've got thousands invested in the TC powercore platform that is useless to me. URS plugins??? remember them? same again, I had thousands invested in them.....useless.......welcome to the modern world of technology.



MC
Old 2nd April 2017
  #674
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickFaith View Post
Not sure what your point is, since it's kind of obvious that they are not listening. I'm going to use my trashcan's till they die and I spent a bunch of today looking at windows machines.
It's not obvious and Apple do listen. That they don't cater to you or our niche market wishes at our time schedule doesn't prove anything, even while it's sad. We do deserve better IMO.

I've posted to Apple view the normal feedback links – available in this very discussion I believe — and every time I talk with them about computers. For me this is very natural.

You go use Windows 10. I know very few people that will follow you. Building your own Mac or using MBP is so more attractive.
Old 2nd April 2017
  #675
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Jones Sr View Post
However in Apple land, because gaming is such a low priority,
Which, considering Apple's assumed consumer profile, makes absolutely no sense! None!

It's not like gamers (who's not a gamer?) are not a big group to market to nor that there are few Mac games either (fewer, but not few).

However, I'm not certain at all that game machines make great audio computers.
Old 2nd April 2017
  #676
qwe
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael B View Post
I've posted to Apple view the normal feedback links – available in this very discussion I believe — and every time I talk with them about computers. For me this is very natural.
Old 2nd April 2017
  #677
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrible.dee View Post
OMG! GET OVER IT!

You don't need a frigging Mac! T

I choose macOS. You can go and use whatever sad excuse of an operating system and be truly owned (Windows) or free (Unix, Linux are great and not for everyone). I might run macOS on any hardware, so Apple can sue whenever they want. My tip is that they won't.

We don't need Windows 10 to run great hardware!

Also, even today, considering second hand resale value Macs are not expensive. While not the latest, they are still great quality and hold up.
Old 2nd April 2017
  #678
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwe View Post
Yes, you are.
Old 2nd April 2017
  #679
qwe
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael B View Post
Yes, you are.
"I've posted to Apple view the normal feedback links"

Yes, I am.
Old 2nd April 2017
  #680
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Also, even today, considering second hand resale value Macs are not expensive. While not the latest, they are still great quality and hold up.
personally, I may buy MBP13 if it cames with quad core CPU and pre-installed windows 7 or 8.1. I don't want to carry 15 inch just for quad core or buy an another license for OS.
Old 2nd April 2017
  #681
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyjohn View Post
personally, I may buy MBP13 if it cames with quad core CPU and pre-installed windows 7 or 8.1. I don't want to carry 15 inch just for quad core or buy an another license for OS.
That would be nice, yes. I think the thin design might prevent this though. They could probably solve this with a new design, so let's hope small yet powerful machines are part of their plan.
Old 2nd April 2017
  #682
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwe View Post
"I've posted to Apple view the normal feedback links"

Yes, I am.
From Page 1:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael B View Post

I suggest you post sentiments like that to Apple Mac Pro feedback too. They need to hear how users think many, many times. I know for a fact that Apple listens even though they will never build machines to user specification. What needs to be explained is what we do with their machines (If they entice us) and that is potentially important for all their customers.
Old 2nd April 2017
  #683
Lives for gear
 
Joe Porto's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbury brook View Post
sell it and move on.


That's what a lot of Logic PC users had to do when they went Mac only.

I've got thousands invested in the TC powercore platform that is useless to me. URS plugins??? remember them? same again, I had thousands invested in them.....useless.......welcome to the modern world of technology.



MC
First off, I've been in this game for 35 years. My first computer was an Atari 800 and I've built PCs for decades both as a hobby and as a profession. I am fully aware of your "modern world of technology".

The hardware aspect, sure. I've sold my Symphony and Ensemble gear for UAD Apollo interfaces.

The software is harder to let go. For one, when Emagic sold to Apple, it wasn't nearly as complex as it it now. The transition to something like Cubase would not have been a huge deal.

But after using and becoming proficient in Logic, I am finding the transition to another DAW to be tough. I have PTHD and Cubase 9 loaded up, and it's literally like going from a sports car back to walking.

For me, it's a backup plan. If Apple can give me one more power box, I'm good for another 5+ years, if not, then I have my work cut out for me forgetting all the intricacies of Logic I've picked up over the past decade and learning a completely new DAW.
Old 3rd April 2017
  #684
Lives for gear
 
norbury brook's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Porto View Post
First off, I've been in this game for 35 years. My first computer was an Atari 800 and I've built PCs for decades both as a hobby and as a profession. I am fully aware of your "modern world of technology".

The hardware aspect, sure. I've sold my Symphony and Ensemble gear for UAD Apollo interfaces.

The software is harder to let go. For one, when Emagic sold to Apple, it wasn't nearly as complex as it it now. The transition to something like Cubase would not have been a huge deal.

But after using and becoming proficient in Logic, I am finding the transition to another DAW to be tough. I have PTHD and Cubase 9 loaded up, and it's literally like going from a sports car back to walking.

For me, it's a backup plan. If Apple can give me one more power box, I'm good for another 5+ years, if not, then I have my work cut out for me forgetting all the intricacies of Logic I've picked up over the past decade and learning a completely new DAW.
Joe we must be a similar age I've been at this professionally for 35 years too :D

I get what your saying. the software side is a PIA when you're used to one program.

I thik if you really want to make the move you have to jump in and just go for it when it comes to a new DAW. Get some video tutorials etc and just live and breathe it 24/7 until you can get your work done.

Not something most people want to do, but then most people don't want to change in most aspects of their lives :D


MC
Old 4th April 2017
  #685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael B View Post
Which, considering Apple's assumed consumer profile, makes absolutely no sense! None!
Actually, it is. Gamers are looking for the latest and fastest, and it has to be cheap if possible. Case modding is an added extra which is important for many gamers. Macs are stagnant in design and quickly outdated, which is exactly the opposite.
Quote:
It's not like gamers (who's not a gamer?) are not a big group to market to nor that there are few Mac games either (fewer, but not few).
Gaming is insanely huge, it is the largest entertainment industry by far.

Quote:
However, I'm not certain at all that game machines make great audio computers.
Certainly not, even though many should be able to do a decent job when configured properly.
Old 4th April 2017
  #686
qwe
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAW PLUS View Post
Quote:
However, I'm not certain at all that game machines make great audio computers.
Certainly not, even though many should be able to do a decent job when configured properly.
Please do explain?
Old 4th April 2017
  #688
I can't stop laughing!
Boom. That should shut most of us up.
Old 4th April 2017
  #689
Lives for gear
Shut me up real fast with those prices for that HW
Old 4th April 2017
  #690
Gear Guru
 
UnderTow's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael B View Post
This seriously shows you're not familiar with Apple concepts. Like it or not, Apple have never been about building machines that "people want". Apple as, since Job's return anyway, have been and are about building the computers people don't know they want until they exist.
Nope. Apple are now even admitting themselves they simply got it wrong with the Mac pro and will be going for a modular design in the future. They are finally doing what they should have done from the start: Listen to their customers and give them what they want.

Quote:
Personally, I think the desktop computer will disappear in a few years, maybe a decade. Because face it, it's not that box you want, it's the computer power.
Apple clearly disagree and rightly so: The laws of physics and thermal dissipation can not be beaten. For performance computing, a desktop, or rather a larger case design, will always get you further than a consumer design with a size restriction.

Alistair
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump