The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tim Cook on Mac Desktop commitment Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 8th March 2017
  #541
qwe
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysanfel View Post
I wonder what Jobs would have thought of this?
It hardly takes Jobs to realise that's ridiculous!
Old 8th March 2017
  #542
Lives for gear
 
pulsar modular's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysanfel View Post
I wonder what Jobs would have thought of this?
"Mouhaha...mouhaha"
Old 8th March 2017
  #543
Gear Maniac
 

Interesting article about the future of Mac to read on Appleinsider.
Old 8th March 2017
  #544
RiF
Lives for gear
 
RiF's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mininoyz View Post
Interesting article about the future of Mac to read on Appleinsider.
Interesting read.

However, the next 24 months will show us if Apple is still in the Mac business or out.
Old 9th March 2017
  #545
Lives for gear
 
lowkey's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwe View Post
It hardly takes Jobs to realise that's ridiculous!
Well to be honest, as an owner of one, it's a complete non issue. 2 minutes charging gives over a days use, while 2 hours gives 2 months of use.

I don't know about you, but I often spend more than 2 minutes away from my machine.
Old 9th March 2017
  #546
qwe
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowkey View Post
Well to be honest, as an owner of one, it's a complete non issue. 2 minutes charging gives over a days use, while 2 hours gives 2 months of use.
2 hours gives 2 months? OK. If that's the case it's not so bad.

It's still very inelegant, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowkey View Post
I don't know about you, but I often spend more than 2 minutes away from my machine.
I do have to sleep.
Old 9th March 2017
  #547
Deleted User
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by norbury brook View Post
I was with a friend yesterday who need a new laptop. We went to the local Currys/PC world for a quick look at things.

15 inch MacBook pro; i7 quad I think it was 3.5ghz/16 gig ram/512 SSD. price £2700

latest Dell inspiron : latest Kaby Lake i7 4 ghz/16 gigs ram/ 256 SSD/ had a lovely screen and track pad , felt like a nice machine overall . price £945


that's a big difference.

MC
I don't think the Dell Inspiron comes in a quad core. To find a laptop with a quad core, you enter a higher-priced bracket. Still less than the MacBook Pro's, but not as dramatic. i7-7500u is a dual core i7. Inspiron 17 7000 2-in-1 Laptop | Dell United States

It's more like $2000 (I'm looking at the US site) to get a Precision quad core with a comparable m2 solid state drive: The Dell Online Store: Build Your System

Of course, the Dell is configurable, so you can save money by buying the standard HD option (about $1600) and upgrading your drives and RAM yourself, which cannot be done on the MacBook. I just looked into all of this, and was considering buying a lightly used Lenovo P50, but a 2012 MacBook Pro showed up in the local listings for a great price, so I bought it instead. I'd rather have an older quad core than a newer dual core. Maybe that's foolish, I don't know.
Old 9th March 2017
  #548
Lives for gear
 
Dysanfel's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mininoyz View Post
Interesting article about the future of Mac to read on Appleinsider.
Great article! Thanks for posting that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowkey View Post
Well to be honest, as an owner of one, it's a complete non issue.
I honestly think Jobs would have fired anyone who showed him that a mouse that recharges like that. It is a non-issue in practice and it is a great mouse, but Jobs would have probably blow a gasket the first time he saw it. It is kind of funny to imagine it.
Old 9th March 2017
  #549
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowkey View Post
Well to be honest, as an owner of one, it's a complete non issue. 2 minutes charging gives over a days use, while 2 hours gives 2 months of use.

I don't know about you, but I often spend more than 2 minutes away from my machine.
what is it? a mouse?
Old 9th March 2017
  #550
Lives for gear
 
zephonic's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowkey View Post
Well to be honest, as an owner of one, it's a complete non issue. 2 minutes charging gives over a days use, while 2 hours gives 2 months of use.

I don't know about you, but I often spend more than 2 minutes away from my machine.
I don't think that's the point here. It's like the infamous iPhone 5C case, where the perforated back turned the word 'iPhone' printed on the back into 'non'.

Doesn't harm anybody, right?

Point is, Jobs' passion and attention to detail are gone, and it shows in things like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysanfel View Post
I honestly think Jobs would have fired anyone who showed him that a mouse that recharges like that. It is a non-issue in practice and it is a great mouse, but Jobs would have probably blow a gasket the first time he saw it.
I think so as well.
Old 9th March 2017
  #551
Lives for gear
 
zephonic's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mininoyz View Post
Interesting article about the future of Mac to read on Appleinsider.
I wouldn't take anything Daniel Eran Dilger writes too seriously.
Old 9th March 2017
  #552
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zephonic View Post
I wouldn't take anything Daniel Eran Dilger writes too seriously.
Why ? I just don't know him. I bet MacOS and iOS will some day be one. It's logical.
Old 9th March 2017
  #553
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mininoyz View Post
Why ? I just don't know him. I bet MacOS and iOS will some day be one. It's logical.
There is already an Arm chip in the new macbook pro. I think it's only a matter of time until they put a full iphone processor in and let you launch IOS apps.
Old 10th March 2017
  #554
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mininoyz View Post
Why ? I just don't know him. I bet MacOS and iOS will some day be one. It's logical.

No, it's not. It's Microsoft that has forged one OS to run them all, not Apple. It's Microsoft that has decided everything should be "touch", also when it doesn't make sense, not Apple. I could go on.

You're clearly not paying attention to things Apple.
Old 10th March 2017
  #555
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mat1 View Post
There is already an Arm chip in the new macbook pro.
You need to smoke much less weed. Or just check your facts.

You see any mention of Arm here: Apple MacBook Pro "Core i7" 2.9 15" Touch/Late 2016 Specs?

You see any mention at all if searching by CPU here: Everymac: Search by Processor? I think any Arm chip would have been entered at everymac.

This not to say this couldn't happen, but no MacBook with an Arm CPU have been released yet, or even announced. I'm sure Apple have built some kind of prototypes like years ago, but that doesn't mean they will put these into production.
Old 10th March 2017
  #556
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael B View Post
You need to smoke much less weed. Or just check your facts.

You see any mention of Arm here: Apple MacBook Pro "Core i7" 2.9 15" Touch/Late 2016 Specs?

You see any mention at all if searching by CPU here: Everymac: Search by Processor? I think any Arm chip would have been entered at everymac.

This not to say this couldn't happen, but no MacBook with an Arm CPU have been released yet, or even announced. I'm sure Apple have built some kind of prototypes like years ago, but that doesn't mean they will put these into production.

The T1 co-processor in the new macbook pro is an ARM chip.

Apple developing ARM chip for Mac to handle low-power functionality
Old 10th March 2017
  #557
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mat1 View Post
The T1 co-processor in the new macbook pro is an ARM chip.

Apple developing ARM chip for Mac to handle low-power functionality
Well, I can cut back as well… Thanks for correcting me, even if the context made it sound as if this was about a main processor.

Nevertheless, this is a far cry from making Arm chips the main processor. Maybe when they are, you know, more powerful.
Old 10th March 2017
  #558
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael B View Post
No, it's not. It's Microsoft that has forged one OS to run them all, not Apple. It's Microsoft that has decided everything should be "touch", also when it doesn't make sense, not Apple. I could go on.

You're clearly not paying attention to things Apple.
That's exactly what I'm thinking : Sony created the Walkman, Apple made the iPod. And they didn't invented the mobile. Just gave it a perfect form. Apple is a follower, but quite clever. One OS is logical, wether it's Bill Gates or my grandmother who invented it.
Old 11th March 2017
  #559
RiF
Lives for gear
 
RiF's Avatar
If Apple had a clear vision of merging iOS and MacOS they would have done more in this direction already. What they always said is, that the Mac and the iOS-Devices are two different things and will not be one.

This causes problems for the consumer, though. This strategy basically prevents putting a touchscreen into the Mac, which is downright silly, given that all the competitors on the PC side are doing this. These self-imposed limitations culminate in weird ways trying to steer around this limitations, like this gimmicky head-nodding-training-strip :-O.
Old 11th March 2017
  #560
Gear Maniac
 

Jobs also said an iPad pencil was a bad idea. But it's advertised as 'revolutionary' on the Store.
Old 11th March 2017
  #561
Lives for gear
 
Dysanfel's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiF View Post
This causes problems for the consumer, though. This strategy basically prevents putting a touchscreen into the Mac, which is downright silly, given that all the competitors on the PC side are doing this.
My best guess is that Apple has not done this yet because they have not yet seen any real success by others making touchscreen computers. As the article posted above suggested, Apple would rather sit back and watch all the failures before making such a big commitment to their product line. Perhaps The Surface is the first successful implementation?
Old 11th March 2017
  #562
Gear Maniac
 
Chao's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mininoyz View Post
Jobs also said an iPad pencil was a bad idea. But it's advertised as 'revolutionary' on the Store.
Jobs never said that.

When touch was introduced on iPhone to the mainstream, he said stylus was a bad idea to use on smart "phones" (as the ONLY WAY to interact with a mini computer like Palm pilot or early Window phones). In fact, even it's possible to use a stylus/ pencil on some large Android phones today, most people simply don't like it or even need it. In the old days, people lost their Palm pilot/ Window CE's tiny stylus very often and had to buy another one or can't use their devices anymore.

On a large iPad or similar LARGE touch products as a SECONDARY interact ACCESSARY, it's a good idea, especially for drawing. You can live with an iPad Pro without an iPad pencil just fine.

Context!

===================

Surface is not really successful. It's a niche product.
Old 11th March 2017
  #563
Gear Maniac
 

He did. But you're right, he was primarily thinking about the iPhone. And OK, the stylus is a detail for a niche market. I've never used a Surface and to me, the benefits of a touchscreen are not obvious. But Windows opened that door : you don't need a specific OS on a tablet.
Old 12th March 2017
  #564
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiF View Post
If Apple had a clear vision of merging iOS and MacOS they would have done more in this direction already. What they always said is, that the Mac and the iOS-Devices are two different things and will not be one.

This causes problems for the consumer, though. This strategy basically prevents putting a touchscreen into the Mac, which is downright silly, given that all the competitors on the PC side are doing this..
Apple decided not to do this. I think it was a wise move. Even if touch is sneaking in now with the touch bar, that makes more sense to me and contrary to a full touch screen is not gimmicky at all.

Quote:
"[It's] absolutely a non-goal," Federighi said. "You don't want to say the Mac became less good at being a Mac because someone tried to turn it into iOS."
Business Insider (2014): Apple Has No Plans To Build A Touchscreen Mac, Says Software Chief [Craig Federighi].

Things could change, yes, at some point. But this OS convergence is a non Apple thing as is touch screens on computers.

Personally, I think physical screens are soon yesterday. Who needs touch when you got gesturing anyway?
Old 12th March 2017
  #565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael B View Post
Apple decided not to do this. I think it was a wise move. Even if touch is sneaking in now with the touch bar, that makes more sense to me and contrary to a full touch screen is not gimmicky at all.


Business Insider (2014): Apple Has No Plans To Build A Touchscreen Mac, Says Software Chief [Craig Federighi].

Things could change, yes, at some point. But this OS convergence is a non Apple thing as is touch screens on computers.

Personally, I think physical screens are soon yesterday. Who needs touch when you got gesturing anyway?
Touch screens on laptops and PCs are incredibly usefull for scrolling - and just basic clicking of links etc. It's the same functionality of a tablet. Once you use it you can't go back.

It really boggles my mind why Apple fans insist on defending limitations as benefits - there's is no benefit to consumers in failing to provide basic touch functionality on their $3500 + macbook pros or imacs etc - and the fact that they spearheaded the technology with Iphone's and Ipads as market leader makes the omission that much more bizarre.
Old 12th March 2017
  #566
Lives for gear
 
Dysanfel's Avatar
Considering that the iMac hasn't had a refresh in over 500 days and in general there has been a slowing down on refreshes on the entire line of MacOS products, I would not expect to see a touchscreen on a Mac the near future.

I won't defend Apple's decision not to release a touchscreen, I am actually indifferent to the whole idea. I am not very excited about the idea of reaching the 4 feet away and 18 inches up to touch my display at my desk. Or, holding my arms outstretched for long periods of time while working.
Old 13th March 2017
  #567
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverb View Post
Touch screens on laptops and PCs are incredibly usefull for scrolling - and just basic clicking of links etc. It's the same functionality of a tablet. Once you use it you can't go back.

It really boggles my mind why Apple fans insist on defending limitations as benefits - there's is no benefit to consumers in failing to provide basic touch functionality on their $3500 + macbook pros or imacs etc - and the fact that they spearheaded the technology with Iphone's and Ipads as market leader makes the omission that much more bizarre.
This is not the point at all. You don't seem to get it. The point is that Apple have decided full touch screens don't belong on computers, whether you like that decision or not.

You think touch screens are useful. I think this idea could be useful, but that it isn't impressively so at the moment. Badly implemented half-hearted GUI designs is for Microsoft to explore and hopefully sort out. Get a new MS machine or whatever you want to run Win 10 on, if you don't like this. No-one cares what you produce on anyway nor what I use.

I'm a little baffled at anyone believing that Apple will play the follow game. They do change their minds occasionally and they may have painted themselves into a corner and have to implement features others have presented when they weren't releasing, but they will, and should, do it it their way. Apple should keep releasing excellent stuff and if they can't find the time in their teams for making computers they should spin off the Apple Computers divisions and let let it run itself as its own venture. Just get in on the game again, Apple, will you? ffs…
Old 13th March 2017
  #568
qwe
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysanfel View Post
I won't defend Apple's decision not to release a touchscreen, I am actually indifferent to the whole idea. I am not very excited about the idea of reaching the 4 feet away and 18 inches up to touch my display at my desk. Or, holding my arms outstretched for long periods of time while working.
Which is why "lightpens" didn't have much success "back in the day"...!
Old 13th March 2017
  #569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael B View Post

I'm a little baffled at anyone believing that Apple will play the follow game.
All tech companies follow each other all the time...Apple isn't immune to that.

Their "smart keyboard" for Ipad was a rip-off of the Surface.

The iphone 8's big expected upgrades appear to be wireless charging, fast charging and an Oled screen, all of which have been used by Samsung Galaxys for years. They will implement VR at some point, which, again , is already being done by many.

Apple Maps ....

Itunes Radio - see Spotify, Google Play Music, Pandora, or 100 other services that came before it etc.

I could go on, but you get the point I'm sure.
Old 13th March 2017
  #570
qwe
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverb View Post
All tech companies follow each other all the time...Apple isn't immune to that.

Their "smart keyboard" for Ipad was a rip-off of the Surface.

The iphone 8's big expected upgrades appear to be wireless charging, fast charging and an Oled screen, all of which have been used by Samsung Galaxys for years. They will implement VR at some point, which, again , is already being done by many.

Apple Maps ....

Itunes Radio - see Spotify, Google Play Music, Pandora, or 100 other services that came before it etc.

I could go on, but you get the point I'm sure.
Well, in the same way that one could open a restaurant that would serve similar dishes to another restaurant it would be a "rip-off"? Or launching a TV station which shows TV programmes, as do 1000s of others...

OLED screens are of course a more recent invention, but it's just a matter of Apple cutting a deal to procure them from suppliers.

As for "smart" keyboard, this is a proper keyboard--and there's nothing "innovative" about it whatsoever:

http://matias.ca/tactilepro4/
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump