The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tim Cook on Mac Desktop commitment Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 22nd February 2017
Tui
Gear Guru

Old 22nd February 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwe View Post
At this stage, the trainwreck has happened and I don't think there _is_ an answer!

LOL. I'm going to risk all 'credibility' and come to the defense of poor old Mike Stock and Matt Aitken. They were first rate songwriters and musicians. Most people just won't listen past the 80s synth pop/Hi-NRG style of much of their most well known material, but the reality is, underneath the 'beats' were well crafted traditional songs with very good arrangements. Very lush backing vocals, too.

It's unfortunate that they worked with so many artists lacking in 'cred' and/or vocal ability, above all 'Big Fun'; that they did perhaps too many songs in similar styles; and when they were most successful (1989) the 'quality control dept.' was seemingly sleepwalking. The inability of Pete Waterman (who certainly had a role, and by all accounts loves music--but is really an 'A&R guy'--by his own admission, he does NOT write or play music) to hold his mouth and his involvement with such dross as 'The Hitman and Her' didn't help either. Perhaps for these reasons, they have never quite received the same recognition as, say, Motown's Holland-Dozier-Holland.

I won't Rickroll you, LOL; however, Rick Astley's "It Would Take a Strong, Strong Man" is in a very different style to most of their material. Nice chords, full of triplets, and a guitar solo to boot.

There's also did some good tracks on the album they did with Donna Summer...

I'd be quite happy to never hear "Never Gonna Give You Up" ever again. Not their best work! To be fair though, all the Rick Astley 'hits' have nice basslines. ;-) And by all accounts--and I say this when I don't really like his voice--the guy can sing.
It's their overly smooth production style which is the issue. In retrospect the Donna Summer album they did, Another Place and Time, is her worst effort due do all her passion being smothered by production. It was the right choice from a sales perespective at the time though.
Old 22nd February 2017
Tui
Gear Guru

Back in the 80s, I thought much of the pop music was pretty terrible. Little did I know what pop would be like in 2017...
Old 22nd February 2017
qwe
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pichi View Post
It's their overly smooth production style which is the issue.
Sure, although whether it's 'overly' smooth is a matter of taste. ;-)

It is what it is--anything Mike Stock has done before or since 'SAW' still has the same 'fingerprint' on it. I mean, if you go to Mutt Lange, you get... Mutt Lange?

Ironically, since the 80s, DAWs and vocal tuners mean that getting everything 'perfect' can be taken further. The cracks are visible on those 80s records!

Of course, that's not the only aspect of their 'overly smooth production style'--it's the way everything fits together tightly, like a jigsaw puzzle.

Quote:
In retrospect the Donna Summer album they did, Another Place and Time, is her worst effort due do all her passion being smothered by production. It was the right choice from a sales perespective at the time though.
Not as good as 8 minutes of 'I Feel Love'? Surely you jest...
Old 22nd February 2017
qwe
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui View Post
Back in the 80s, I thought much of the pop music was pretty terrible. Little did I know what pop would be like in 2017...
There was plenty of good pop music in the 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s... and then when the new millennium hit pop music went down the pan. :-(

90% of everything always 'sucks' though. ;-)
Old 22nd February 2017
Quote:
Yeah. It's pretty sad when Debbie Gibson's teen albums blow away most music on the charts over the last 15 years at least in terms of songwriting. There's a lot to apprecate going back. A lot of stuff I would never have listened to back then, I'm often plesantly surprised when I revisit it from the perspective of a songwriter, musician. Bigger budgets, no cut 'n paste DAW creations, top session guys playing on all the hit albums. It all helped.
Old 22nd February 2017
Quote:
Sure, although whether it's 'overly' smooth is a matter of taste. ;-)

It is what it is--anything Mike Stock has done before or since 'SAW' still has the same 'fingerprint' on it. I mean, if you go to Mutt Lange, you get... Mutt Lange?

Ironically, since the 80s, DAWs and vocal tuners mean that getting everything 'perfect' can be taken further. The cracks are visible on those 80s records!

Of course, that's not the only aspect of their 'overly smooth production style'--it's the way everything fits together tightly, like a jigsaw puzzle.

Not as good as 8 minutes of 'I Feel Love'? Surely you jest...
One day Bananarama will find their way into my music collection. Just not yet...
Old 22nd February 2017
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
One day Bananarama will find their way into my music collection. Just not yet...
I will say this: At least, back then, the music was better than the videos.
Old 22nd February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestermagneto View Post
beautiful... i feel i need one... where did you get it? just skylake?
I got it as a OEM new MacPro case. I stripped it and made it into an ATX case. It took more work than I'll admit. I always wanted a cheese grater MacPro but could never afford it. I think they have a killer look.
Old 22nd February 2017
qwe
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah. It's pretty sad when Debbie Gibson's teen albums blow away most music on the charts over the last 15 years at least in terms of songwriting. There's a lot to apprecate going back. A lot of stuff I would never have listened to back then, I'm often plesantly surprised when I revisit it from the perspective of a songwriter, musician. Bigger budgets, no cut 'n paste DAW creations, top session guys playing on all the hit albums. It all helped.
Absolutely...

Debbie Gibson's stuff is pretty average by 80's 'hit' record standards.

e.g. In terms of 'pure pop' Simon Climie and Rob Fisher were session musicians/songwriters who did some nice material under their own name.

I'm not sure there's a very good correlation between 'cred' and 'musical quality'?

In the 'MIDI era' (for convenience rather than necessarily technical accuracy) doing music in the style of the day was incredibly expensive. Fairlights and Synclaviers were out of the reach of all but Trevor Horn or Pete Gabriel. The musicians who operated them like J.J. Jeczalik had skill and talent.

For MIDI sequencing a Linn 9000 wasn't that inexpensive, either.

Essentially, by the early 90s this was no longer the case and hoards of dance 'producers' had their Atari STs, Akai samplers and old analogue gear. And then ADAT provided cheap 'professional' multi-track.

This stuff may have had a cool vibe, but the lack of musicial proficiency of the artists was often painfully obvious, and the production quality was often medicore to boot.

The whole 'technology democratises' idea is nonsense in the sense that not everyone is equally capable of using it to best effect!

Still, it wasn't until the new millennium that hip-hop finished off its job of steamrollering over melody and harmony, the music industry was destroyed by piracy, and many of the big studios became unviable.

There's still lots of cool stuff being done for movie soundtracks, though. :-)
Old 23rd February 2017
qwe
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysanfel View Post
I got it as a OEM new MacPro case. I stripped it and made it into an ATX case. It took more work than I'll admit. I always wanted a cheese grater MacPro but could never afford it. I think they have a killer look.
Very cool look indeed.
Old 23rd February 2017
qwe
Lives for gear

Quote:
Best version of 'Venus'... ever.

Surely you mean Divine won't be added to your music collection just yet?

Old 23rd February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Very cool look indeed.
Thank you bro, I appreciate that!
Old 23rd February 2017
Quote:
Never heard of them either, but here we go:

Corsair ML Series Fans — If NASA Designed a Computer Case Fan – This Would Be It

"CORSAIR ML Series of fans magnetic levitation technology and custom engineered rotors provide unrivaled performance and low noise."
Lots of marketing hype there...
Decent fans for a high price.
Old 23rd February 2017
qwe
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAW PLUS View Post
Lots of marketing hype there...
Decent fans for a high price.
Could you please explain what you mean by 'hype' in regards to the 'maglev' claim?
Old 23rd February 2017
Quote:
Could you please explain what you mean by 'hype' in regards to the 'maglev' claim?
The fact that they are not better than some other brands' models which are cheaper and which do not use magnetic witchcraft.
I mean that both for cooling properties and noise as well as their ratio.
Note that I agree they are good, but the marketing is promising more than it actually does IMO.
Old 23rd February 2017
qwe
Lives for gear

Quote:
The fact that they are not better than some other brands' models which are cheaper
Such as...?
Old 23rd February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I cannot understand why there is no single portal that leads to all available music and video/movies, whether for rent or buying. Trying to hunt down a particular CD or movie takes forever, in particular older ones. Then, typically, there is no legal way for renting or buying.

The situation is so bad and confusing, one could think it is on purpose.

Kind of reminds me of this:

I tried to watch Game of Thrones and this is what happened - The Oatmeal
Old 23rd February 2017
Gear Addict

Ok I am possible Not objective as should ! (still loving my old 5.1 quad core) but this post has gone all lover the place and so I skipped few bits so sorry if repeat anything but he my £1

But if you true Pro user you prob $100k + of gear SO if its great you pay what ever it costs $5k is not that much when you pay $15k for vintage u47 mic

Here what I like out new Mac pro taking the best of the old and best new stuff

1) Duel M2 PCI slots on mother board with out funny plugs so standard ones fit (easy to get to to upgrade boot drive poss raid thats why 2) I Use Nas for my 3.5 Hdd so i don't need any bays

2) 2 or more pcie 3.0 so i can use any NEW Video card (apple has removed the Nvida block so most work)

3) Poss 2 more pic-e slots one for network card SO I can 4 ethernet Ports or 10gig card (Most new NAS / severs do this)

4) lots ram slots 2 is not enough !!!!

5) The marathon G-rack was the best thing ever ON G3/G4! Surely if apple charge you $200 for one you not give **** about its to sick in 42u rack with all them vintage Pre's
if you Kid and don't remember that far here link to review (Marathon G)

6) Well kind 5b when your rack-mounded hopefully only 1 or 2 U and only 500 Deep so fits in Com's rack (only YUK thing about cheese grater its takes 10u's or you got chop it up and still 5U) (Even the trash can is 4U) I know space in rack is that much prob but there no reason for it to be huge

7) Easy replacement power supply

8) Snow leopard type OS that's just bulletproof !! I loved it when my mac just worked !!!!!

9) FIX remote Bluetooth its buggy as hell at the min (long usb lead and dongle) As i love my wireless key/mouse

10) Slot load CD I know, I hardly ever use it but how else do I add to my itunes without crappy downloads Mp3 ???????

11) When your rack mount or have square box that stacks it makes have 3 or 4 box so much less of pain and I will always have 3 min mac/audio interface/Nas

12) Make stuff work with other peoples stuff Why! Oh why! do I have have 3 party drives for iscsi !!! (Because you charge silly money for thunderbolt .....)

When you ditch towers and is when not IF just remember its the Mac (not the laptop) that made apple !!!!!
Old 23rd February 2017
Quote:
Such as...?
Just one of many tests:
https://www.hardwareluxx.de/index.ph...t.html?start=5
Old 23rd February 2017
qwe
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thank you. I already have Noctua fans, although in fact the Corsair 'ML' series seems to be slightly lower in cost.
Old 23rd February 2017
qwe
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by emearg_s View Post
you pay what ever it costs $5k is not that much when you pay $15k for vintage u47 mic
$15K for a U47--or any other microphone for that matter?

Quote:
9) FIX remote Bluetooth its buggy as hell at the min (long usb lead and dongle) As i love my wireless key/mouse
AFAIK the best keyboard is the Matias Tactile Pro. There's nothing to 'love' about typical cheap membrane keyboards...

Quote:
10) Slot load CD I know, I hardly ever use it but how else do I add to my itunes without crappy downloads Mp3 ???????
Use whatever software on macOS uses 'AccurateRip' (Exact Audio Copy on Windows)... not iTunes.

Quote:
When you ditch towers and is when not IF just remember its the Mac (not the laptop) that made apple !!!!!
Cough... Apple II...
Old 24th February 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claborn View Post
Why is it like pulling teeth in this industry when it comes to new tech. Film makers gobble up any new camera that hits the market and make blockbusters and I'm over here arguing on a website called GEARSLUTZ about which 1985 dinosaur is best.
Apple and MS are dinosaurs. I'm tired of being stuck on their Duopolistic plantation.

Music and audio vendors have failed because they haven't formed a consortium to design computing appliances that run effectively and transparently with music software and hardware.

People whine about how important competition is. It way past time to make MS and Apple irrelevant.
Old 24th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tridelica View Post
Apple and MS are dinosaurs. I'm tired of being stuck on their Duopolistic plantation.

Music and audio vendors have failed because they haven't formed a consortium to design computing appliances that run effectively and transparently with music software and hardware.

People whine about how important competition is. It way past time to make MS and Apple irrelevant.
I agree. Why are we using operating systems designed primarily for business management productivity or life management productivity for audio?
Old 24th February 2017
Because that is what developers program for. And they pick the widest available platforms for their customer base.
If everybody had Ubuntu Linux at home or in the studio, most developers would probably support it. Aside from Apogee.
Old 24th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Aside from Apogee.
LOL
Old 24th February 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Why are we using operating systems designed primarily for business management productivity or life management productivity for audio?
I'm using Live and it looks like excel spreadsheet. So I have no issue there.
Old 24th February 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyjohn View Post
Old 24th February 2017
qwe
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysanfel View Post
I agree. Why are we using operating systems designed primarily for business management productivity or life management productivity for audio?
Windows (desktop version) is not a 'hard' real-time OS, but then again, this might be a moot point outside of running a nuclear power station?

Resplendence Software - Free Downloads - LatencyMonitor.

I think the greater issue is the GUI of the various DAWs and the lack of integration with third-party plug-ins etc.
Old 25th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyjohn View Post
Yes. I'm dabbling with the trial versions, and boy, it is UGLY.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search