The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tim Cook on Mac Desktop commitment Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 21st February 2017
Lives for gear

What happens in the next 12 months will decide a lot for me. If Mac doesn't come up with an upgrade on the Pro I might, MIGHT, consider PC.
Old 21st February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Jazz View Post
What happens in the next 12 months will decide a lot for me. If Mac doesn't come up with an upgrade on the Pro I might, MIGHT, consider PC.
Already made the switch from Apogee to UAD interfaces. I'll miss Logic, but c'est la vie.
Old 21st February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysanfel View Post
Tim Cook may bot be committed, but I am. I just built a Skylake MacPro i7-6700K with 32GB of DDR4 that dual boots Win10 and Sierra 10.12.3 for just over $1200.

beautiful... i feel i need one... where did you get it? just skylake?
Old 21st February 2017
Gear Addict

Thought I'd mention here that at NAMM this year I met some Apple folks. I was lamenting to them about Apple's abandonment of the creative community in favor of gadgets and profits. I suggested it wouldn't hurt to toss creatives a bone and come out with some truly professional hardware where form follows function, not vice versa. They informed me that I was preaching to the choir. They assured me there is a significant core of Apple employees that share this feeling but unfortunately they aren't steering the ship. And with Apple reporting record first quarter fiscal year profits this does not bode well for that changing any time soon...
Old 21st February 2017
Lives for gear

The guys from the Accidental Tech Podcast succinctly hit the nail on the head in their latest episode.

They assert Apple is run by bunch of sweaters who aren't cool. Steve Jobs was at least aware in which ways he was and wasn't cool, and could identify people who were cool where he wasn't. The problem with current Apple leadership is not just that they're not cool, but they probably think people consider them cool (because, you know, they're Apple).

The title of Apple latest idea, a reality TV show called "Planet of the Apps" perfectly illustrates just what a bunch of dorks (with dad jokes) they are.
Old 21st February 2017
qwe
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zephonic View Post
The guys from the Accidental Tech Podcast succinctly hit the nail on the head in their latest episode.

They assert Apple is run by bunch of sweaters who aren't cool. Steve Jobs was at least aware in which ways he was and wasn't cool, and could identify people who were cool where he wasn't. The problem with current Apple leadership is not just that they're not cool, but they probably think people consider them cool (because, you know, they're Apple).
"After graduating from Auburn University, [Tim] Cook spent 12 years in IBM's personal computer business, ultimately serving as the director of North American fulfillment." (Wikipedia)

I noticed immediate changes to "Apple's" aesthetic sense as soon as the post-Jobs period started. Photos of new products which were "wonky." Awful adverts. And then came the iPhone 5C case.

Quote:
The title of Apple latest idea, a reality TV show called "Planet of the Apps" perfectly illustrates just what a bunch of dorks (with dad jokes) they are.
LOL--I can see that making for a funny sketch... but it all looks too self-referential. :-(
Old 21st February 2017
Tui
Gear Guru

I recently switched from Google to Bing... AFAICT, Bing doesn't plant any tracking cookies and looks and feels cleaner and somehow "better". Google kept pestering me to install Chrome, which I found extremely annoying.

This got me thinking: MSFT is the new underdog, the corp that tries this much harder to get our attention. I just might switch to PC, one day.

I never, ever, in a million years, would have thought I'd say that.
Old 21st February 2017
Gear Head
Quote:
My god, I thought you were joking when you wrote that. Just googled it and yup - it's a real thing.

It reminds me of Beats1 honestly, which is an excellent example of how out of touch Apple's leadership is - i.e. thinking that in a "post-radio" world where people are using services like spotify to find music and build playlists, that they'd have any interest at all in a radio service.
Old 21st February 2017
qwe
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui View Post
I recently switched from Google to Bing... AFAICT, Bing doesn't plant any tracking cookies and looks and feels cleaner and somehow "better". Google kept pestering me to install Chrome, which I found extremely annoying.

This got me thinking: MSFT is the new underdog, the corp that tries this much harder to get our attention. I just might switch to PC, one day.

I never, ever, in a million years, would have thought I'd say that.
They're certainly the 'underdog' in search and mobile OSes among other areas but Microsoft still has ~91.5% of desktop market share.

https://www.netmarketshare.com/opera...10&qpcustomd=0

I'd be amazed if Bing doesn't use cookies (if not signed in)?! Just use 'Private Browsing' or 'Incognito Mode'...

IMHO Bing is far behind Google in terms of search result quality.
Old 21st February 2017
qwe
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelTheSuperior View Post
It reminds me of Beats1 honestly, which is an excellent example of how out of touch Apple's leadership is - i.e. thinking that in a "post-radio" world where people are using services like spotify to find music and build playlists, that they'd have any interest at all in a radio service.
The fact that Apple bought 'Beats' in the first place is hilarious.

The number one source for 'music discovery' is YouTube, not the radio...

Still, that doesn't mean no-one wants radio? There is a great deal of difference between playlists and a hosted radio show...

I'd assume Apple's core market is the 'professional' class with enough disposable income to waste on flashy looking gadgets, NOT 'kool kidz.' (Intentionally uncool corrupt spelling there, LOL.)

IMO, the record industry made a massive mistake in not fully developing the subscription model much earlier. In the early days of iTunes, Steve Jobs declared that 'no-one wants to rent music.' Whether this was because Apple couldn't cut the deals to make this happen is another matter...

The record companies missed the boat on the benefits of convenience, quality and reliability that a subscription model could bring over pirated copies. By the time services like Spotify had been developed, YouTube had become entrenched (thus obliterating the benefits of convenience and reliability)--and the monetary value of recorded music on a per play basis had reached almost zero.
Old 21st February 2017
Quote:
Now I'm a seasoned dad joker myself, but that just plain sucks
Old 21st February 2017
I went the windows 10 pro route for the very first time. I was able to build a 10 core machine for about $3500. I kinda went nuts and tricked it out. It's definitely weird navigating but not as bad as I thought.
Attached Thumbnails
Tim Cook on Mac Desktop commitment-machine.jpg  
Old 21st February 2017
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwe View Post
IMO, the record industry made a massive mistake in not fully developing the subscription model much earlier.
I agree. Not only subscriptions, but also outright buying which is what I would be interested in.

I cannot understand why there is no single portal that leads to all available music and video/movies, whether for rent or buying. Trying to hunt down a particular CD or movie takes forever, in particular older ones. Then, typically, there is no legal way for renting or buying.

The situation is so bad and confusing, one could think it is on purpose.
Old 21st February 2017
qwe
Lives for gear

Quote:
I agree. Not only subscriptions, but also outright buying which is what I would be interested in.

I cannot understand why there is no single portal that leads to all available music and video/movies, whether for rent or buying. Trying to hunt down a particular CD or movie takes forever, in particular older ones. Then, typically, there is no legal way for renting or buying.

The situation is so bad and confusing, one could think it is on purpose.
Getting the legal bits all sorted out is the problem. That's why the record industry should have got their act together as soon as ubiqutous Internet access and lossy compression were obvious. They didn't, so here we are!

BTW, AFAIK it IS all centralised, i.e. Spotify, TIDAL, etc. all carry the same content. My TIDAL subscription expired at the end of last year due to cancellation of my card by (seemingly auto-triggered by anti-fraud protection) and I didn't bother to enter the new or different card details, but I did get to use it this month and noticed that the content was rapidly expanding.

The fact is though that if I didn't care about sound quality I might as well use YouTube. EVERYTHING is on there...

Earlier days for movie streaming but it seems they saw what happened to the music industry and have done a vastly better job of managing the transition.
Old 21st February 2017
qwe
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-tra View Post
I went the windows 10 pro route for the very first time. I was able to build a 10 core machine for about $3500.

Quote:
I kinda went nuts and tricked it out. It's definitely weird navigating but not as bad as I thought.
As much as I like coloured concealed lighting, YIKES! I built a myself a new PC last year and I very intentionally ordered the version of the case that was a) was pre-fitted with sound absorption material and b) didn't have a transparent side panel.
Old 21st February 2017
Quote:

As much as I like coloured concealed lighting, YIKES! I built a myself a new PC last year and I very intentionally ordered the version of the case that was a) was pre-fitted with sound absorption material and b) didn't have a transparent side panel.

I bought magnetic fans so it's quiet. Corsair ML series I think
Old 21st February 2017
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
The fact is though that if I didn't care about sound quality I might as well use YouTube. EVERYTHING is on there...
Yup. AFAIAC, youtube/Google singlehandedly destroyed the music industry.
Old 21st February 2017
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
IMHO Bing is far behind Google in terms of search result quality.
Actually, having used it for a couple of days, I don't notice any difference... Maybe it has improved over time?
Old 21st February 2017
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-tra View Post
I bought magnetic fans so it's quiet.
Could you enlighten me, what are magnetic fans..?
Old 21st February 2017
Quote:
Mechanism is different and the fan is spun magnetically. Somehow this makes them quiet.
Old 21st February 2017
qwe
Lives for gear

Quote:
Actually, having used it for a couple of days, I don't notice any difference... Maybe it has improved over time?
Hmm, I end up using it accidentally pretty often when it's set as the 'default' search engine in a browser.

Over the past few days I've used it a few times and the results were useless compared to Google. So much so that I was surprised as the results did seem to have improved to be almost as good.

So I suppose it depends on the search and varies over time.

But Google, in general, IME, is consistently better.

Then there's search engine optimisation and which search engine is going to be paid the most attention to in this process...
Old 21st February 2017
qwe
Lives for gear

Quote:
Never heard of them either, but here we go:

Corsair ML Series Fans — If NASA Designed a Computer Case Fan – This Would Be It

"CORSAIR ML Series of fans magnetic levitation technology and custom engineered rotors provide unrivaled performance and low noise."
Old 21st February 2017
qwe
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yup. AFAIAC, youtube/Google singlehandedly destroyed the music industry.
What may have destroyed it in the US was the 'Safe Habor' provisions of the DMCA. Takedown notices could then be sent to remove copyright infringing content, which meant that as long as the takedown notice was compiled with, the service provider had immunity from liability when the content was user uploaded.

Thus, alongside universal 'broadband' connectivity, was the way paved for YouTube.

Of course it was impossible for anyone to keep up with the masses of content on YouTube as they would be sending DMCA takedown notifications all day and all night. IIRC, later on YouTube added 'auto detection' of music and agreed to (insultingly low) royalty payments. But by then, along with the myraid of other piracy vectors, the situation must have been 'take it or leave it.' And indeed (usually via VEVO) the record companies upload music videos themselves anyway.

The record companies should have started preparations for this by the early 1990s at the latest, but no-one had to care then thanks to the cash cow that was CD.
Old 21st February 2017
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
Never heard of them either, but here we go:

Corsair ML Series Fans — If NASA Designed a Computer Case Fan – This Would Be It

"CORSAIR ML Series of fans magnetic levitation technology and custom engineered rotors provide unrivaled performance and low noise."
Cool - literally.
Old 21st February 2017
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
The record companies should have started preparations for this by the early 1990s at the latest, but no-one had to care then thanks to the cash cow that was CD.
Back in 2001, I got to know the then director of the Recording Industry Association of New Zealand. Very nice man. He was one of those people who regularly got on a plane to China, hooked up with the local police and had bulldozers drive over mountains of counterfeit CDs. That was also the time when people - mostly kids - started "sharing" CDs and burning their own copies. Blank CDRs were something like one dollar. I tried to explain to him that, in my view, official CDs were simply too expensive and suggested dramatically reducing the price, in order to make copying unattractive. I don't think he could see my point.
Old 21st February 2017
qwe
Lives for gear

Quote:
Back in 2001, I got to know the then director of the Recording Industry Association of New Zealand. Very nice man. He was one of those people who regularly got on a plane to China, hooked up with the local police and had bulldozers drive over mountains of counterfeit CDs. That was also the time when people - mostly kids - started "sharing" CDs and burning their own copies. Blank CDRs were something like one dollar. I tried to explain to him that, in my view, official CDs were simply too expensive and suggested dramatically reducing the price, in order to make copying unattractive. I don't think he could see my point.
I'm not surprised by your story. That hits the nail on the head really. They didn't get that digital piracy was an unstoppable force. Unfortunately the industry was able to get away with being woefully inefficient and overcharging for a long time.

IMHO recorded music needs to be a service providing a consistent supply of new, varied and high quality CONTENT, not the traditional recording industry model of: 'Here is/are this/these idol(s). Please wait 3 years for their next album, as this is an extremely protracted process pending the artists finding their "muse" whilst they eat up costly studio time at the most well equipped locations on the planet. Sorry about the 8 rubbish tracks on the album, that's just the way it is. Aren't the 2 other tracks awesome? And don't forget to attend the concerts, and buy the poster, T-shirt and Greatest Hits album to boot. Oh, and reissues of all the previous content (on different media or "remastered" etc.)'

I may be being facetious here, but I'm not at all happy with the current state of affairs.
Old 21st February 2017
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
I may be being facetious here, but I'm not at all happy with the current state of affairs.
I guess a lot of people aren't.

Who knows what the answer might be. With the way things are going, perhaps we are going to see some sort of re-emergence of protectionism... If you're Italian, you can only (easily) listen to Italian music. I know this sounds crazy, but at this stage, nothing would surprise me.

Better quickly download some Rick Astley before it's too late...
Old 21st February 2017
qwe
Lives for gear

Quote:
I guess a lot of people aren't.

Who knows what the answer might be. With the way things are going, perhaps we are going to see some sort of re-emergence of protectionism... If you're Italian, you can only (easily) listen to Italian music. I know this sounds crazy, but at this stage, nothing would surprise me.
At this stage, the trainwreck has happened and I don't think there _is_ an answer!

Quote:
Better quickly download some Rick Astley before it's too late...
LOL. I'm going to risk all 'credibility' and come to the defense of poor old Mike Stock and Matt Aitken. They were first rate songwriters and musicians. Most people just won't listen past the 80s synth pop/Hi-NRG style of much of their most well known material, but the reality is, underneath the 'beats' were well crafted traditional songs with very good arrangements. Very lush backing vocals, too.

It's unfortunate that they worked with so many artists lacking in 'cred' and/or vocal ability, above all 'Big Fun'; that they did perhaps too many songs in similar styles; and when they were most successful (1989) the 'quality control dept.' was seemingly sleepwalking. The inability of Pete Waterman (who certainly had a role, and by all accounts loves music--but is really an 'A&R guy'--by his own admission, he does NOT write or play music) to hold his mouth and his involvement with such dross as 'The Hitman and Her' didn't help either. Perhaps for these reasons, they have never quite received the same recognition as, say, Motown's Holland-Dozier-Holland.

I won't Rickroll you, LOL; however, Rick Astley's "It Would Take a Strong, Strong Man" is in a very different style to most of their material. Nice chords, full of triplets, and a guitar solo to boot.

There's also did some good tracks on the album they did with Donna Summer...

I'd be quite happy to never hear "Never Gonna Give You Up" ever again. Not their best work! To be fair though, all the Rick Astley 'hits' have nice basslines. ;-) And by all accounts--and I say this when I don't really like his voice--the guy can sing.
Old 22nd February 2017
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
I'd be quite happy to never hear "Never Gonna Give You Up" ever again.
You KNEW what would happen if you say that, right?

Old 22nd February 2017
qwe
Lives for gear

Quote:
You KNEW what would happen if you say that, right?

ARGH! I brought that on myself--LOL.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search