The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tim Cook on Mac Desktop commitment Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 9th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefonia View Post
Again, not trying to defend/attack mac or pc. Just trying to make the point, that a certain level of quality/reliability seems to have a price.

Indeed. Macs are (or used to be) actually pretty good value. But they don't lower the prices over time, so towards the end of their lifecycle they seem relatively expensive. Upshot is much better resale value, of course.

I say "used to be", because they really were competitively priced up until 2013/2014 or so. I can't say that with the same confidence for the current generation.
Old 9th February 2017
Deleted User
If the new 27" iMac allowed easy access to the hard drive as well as the RAM, possibly the graphics card, (perhaps via a removable back panel), and were more competitively-priced, I could see getting one. Especially if they can the trash can Mac Pro, they could make a thicker iMac with Xeon processors and a removable back panel to still maintain that line of heavy-duty processing power. But, I don't expect any of it. I expect the new iMac to be thinner, even less accessible (if that's at all possible), and more expensive.
Old 9th February 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowkey View Post
Show me another portable laptop [less than 2kgs] that can drive 2 external 5k monitors. Or 4 external 4k monitors, multiple Raid arrays and as many firewire and usb audio interfaces as you'd like?

There is simply no other laptop with the data throughput of those machines.
Apple certainly make some pretty slick laptops. No doubt about it!

That said, besides parroting the Apple marketing, who really needs to be able to connect two RAID systems and 2 5K screens to a laptop? I would say a tiny minority of the people that will buy a MBP (and possibly no one at all will ever do it outside a marketing demo). There are plenty of available laptops with 2 TB ports and extra USB ports. I doubt many users will find 2 TB ports limiting in the real world.

Apple seem great at finding a narrative to explain their function following form design choices but their machines lack the flexibility and expandability that professional workstations usually exhibit. They are great at designing something that will be spot on for a tiny niche usage case but will be limited and lack flexibility for other situations. As so often with Apple, it seems that looks and a good marketing story are more important than actual real world practical considerations.

If we take the MBP as an example, having a few USB ports for dongles would be more important to me as an audio engineer than having 4 TB ports. (Yes you can use adapters and extra cables etc but then the machine really isn't that slick any more...). And for heavy lifting duties I wouldn't be using a laptop anyway regardless of the number of TB ports. Of course, I am well aware that others might have different needs and wishes.

Alistair
Old 9th February 2017
Gear Nut
happy i left this unbereable community
Old 9th February 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAW PLUS View Post
You misunderstand me here.
I am only negative about the addition of fluffy features which distract.
I have worked with OSX from 10.2 until 10.7. When sitting behind a Mac now (on a Creative Suite iMac), every new OS version alienates me more and more.
OK. We can all have different experiences of the same thing, I guess. However, I don't see these "fluffy features" anywhere. Maybe because I've been ignoring them for years? That's very easy to do. Of course, some things are harder to ignore completely so might need to be replaced.

For example. to ignore iTunes I paid for Swinsian (still sync with the previous). To ignore Finder I got Path Finder. It cost me some money sometimes, but peace of mind is more important. To be able to run a decade old driver I turned off SIP. To be able to run the software I want, I activated that possibility in System Preferences. I also installed AVG as a preventive measure (and discovered a handful of old inactive malware lying around) as well as other security software.

Besides some details I see pretty much the same OS X in macOS as in 10.0 beta and all the following major updates. Quite a bit improved in most departments. Most of what have been thrown out internally have been replaced by better stuff.

In short, unlike the experience sitting down with my father's Windows 10 machine I feel fully in control of everything. If not I fix that. If Apple tries to run a daemon I don't want running I deactivate it. If I want to delay updates I do that. Not everything is straightforward so I am a part of the mac community and share and use solutions.

It's as with music. I ignore bad music to focus on the good stuff. If there is damage, route around it.
Old 9th February 2017
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael B View Post
Not everything is straightforward ...
Not anymore. It used to be, which was the main reason for going Mac.

I guess younger users never experienced older versions of OS X, such as Snow Leopard. Even Mavericks is quite brilliant. However, the more recent the OS, the less control the enduser has over his machine.
Old 9th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPascal View Post
happy i left this unbereable community
Oh. You're back :/
Old 9th February 2017
qwe
Lives for gear

Quote:
In short, unlike the experience sitting down with my father's Windows 10 machine I feel fully in control of everything. If not I fix that. If Apple tries to run a daemon I don't want running I deactivate it.
You can control services in Windows...
Old 9th February 2017
Lives for gear

Haha. So on one hand the MBP is a toy. On the other hand it's got way more throughout than anyone could ever need :P

Running two external monitors in 5k won't be too uncommon moving forwards. The 5k monitor on my iMac is great. There's no way I'd ever go back to a non retina resolution. And within a year or two I doubt anything below 4K will be getting made. The new MBP may be overkill for many now. But less so in a few years.

Sure there are plenty of machines with 2TB and 2USBa ports. My 4 year old MBP has that. But id still prefer a thinner, lighter machine with 4 USBC ports if I was buying a new machine right now. But I've found that my MBPs have had pretty long lives and mine isn't ready to retire until Intel come out with their 6 core coffee lake chips.

At the other end of the range I've lived with one USBC port on my 12" MacBook for over a year and it hasn't been difficult. It's obviously not my studio machine where I need more connectivity, but has been in at work with me happily connected to my NAS, printer and internet wirelessly and to a keyboard and mouse by Bluetooth. I'd say the majority of people don't need anything connected to their laptops nowadays. Any inconvenience of having to buy a usba to USBC cable from eBay has been massively offset by having a laptop that's only 900 grams!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow View Post
Apple certainly make some pretty slick laptops. No doubt about it!

That said, besides parroting the Apple marketing, who really needs to be able to connect two RAID systems and 2 5K screens to a laptop? I would say a tiny minority of the people that will buy a MBP (and possibly no one at all will ever do it outside a marketing demo). There are plenty of available laptops with 2 TB ports and extra USB ports. I doubt many users will find 2 TB ports limiting in the real world.

Apple seem great at finding a narrative to explain their function following form design choices but their machines lack the flexibility and expandability that professional workstations usually exhibit. They are great at designing something that will be spot on for a tiny niche usage case but will be limited and lack flexibility for other situations. As so often with Apple, it seems that looks and a good marketing story are more important than actual real world practical considerations.

If we take the MBP as an example, having a few USB ports for dongles would be more important to me as an audio engineer than having 4 TB ports. (Yes you can use adapters and extra cables etc but then the machine really isn't that slick any more...). And for heavy lifting duties I wouldn't be using a laptop anyway regardless of the number of TB ports. Of course, I am well aware that others might have different needs and wishes.

Alistair
Old 9th February 2017
Lives for gear

I'm starting to come around to the idea of just plugging a laptop into a thunderbolt hub at home but the Apple tax this time is just brutal for audio people. All we really need is a fast i7 and some SSDs.

A jacked up iMac with 6/8 cores would be the perfect desktop but it would kill the mac pro line and probably need a full redesign.
Old 9th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mat1 View Post

A jacked up iMac with 6/8 cores would be the perfect desktop but it would kill the mac pro line and probably need a full redesign.
I had thought that was where they were going but maybe not so much, and it seems to me that the MP is kinda already a dead platform and Apple's idea of performance and ours seem to be quite different. That said, I do think that the stale stream of Intel desktop or even imac processor updates has contributed significantly to the the staleness in this arena.
Old 9th February 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwe View Post
You can control services in Windows...
And? You can't control updates… At least not to the extent you can in macOS.

Anyway, It's not my intention to bash anyone for choosing windows 10, That's fine if you're comfortable with this. But these are different worlds, which is one strong reason I'm staying in one of them. Well, I installed Ubuntu on my PC. So two then, but so far only macOS for audio.
Old 9th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xgman View Post
I had thought that was where they were going but maybe not so much, and it seems to me that the MP is kinda already a dead platform and Apple's idea of performance and ours seem to be quite different. That said, I do think that the stale stream of Intel desktop or even imac processor updates has contributed significantly to the the staleness in this arena.
I agree. To be fair most of the working producer/songwriters I know don't know what they're missing with powerful desktops. It's a blessing and a curse!
Old 9th February 2017
qwe
Lives for gear

Quote:
And? You can't control updates… At least not to the extent you can in macOS.
And--I think it's self evident.

I didn't say anything about updates--perhaps you'd like to explain what you mean though? You can set Windows 10 to have 'active hours' so it doesn't suddenly restart in the middle of the day.

Quote:
Anyway, It's not my intention to bash anyone for choosing windows 10, That's fine if you're comfortable with this. But these are different worlds, which is one strong reason I'm staying in one of them. Well, I installed Ubuntu on my PC. So two then, but so far only macOS for audio.
There really is very little between them in terms of underlying technology.

I did use macOS when it was OS X a few years ago.

Some of the reasons I've stuck to Windows is:

-The inconsistent maximisation behaviour in OS X was frustrating, and most of the time I keep windows maximised and Alt+Tab between them (or put them on separate monitors.)
-The 'top of the screen' menu location, although apparently justified as better due to Fitt's Law, pulled my attention out of the app itself... particularly if it didn't 'maximise.'
-No Dock replacement which was as efficient as the Start menu/Taskbar to use (I use Classic Start Menu in Windows 10.)
-ClearType font rendering is far more readable (even if less attractive) than any other 'subpixel rendering' scheme. Mac font rendering looks blurry. This is an area where Microsoft did quite a lot of R&D, both in terms of the underlying technology and font hinting for the system fonts.

So all in all I found OS X looked 'pretty' but was much a less efficient experience. And there were, at that time, a lot of things which were clunky and clearly kludged--but maybe have been fixed since.

Absolutely no interest in going back to it now, especially with the state of Apple's desktop hardware. Windows 10 (with '1607' update) has proven to be rock solid.

YMMV, etc. Coke or Pepsi...
Old 9th February 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowkey View Post
Haha. So on one hand the MBP is a toy.
I wrote "lack of flexibility and expandability". If you want to translate that to "toy" then that is fine but they are your words and have nothing to do with what I actually wrote.

Quote:
On the other hand it's got way more throughout than anyone could ever need :P
Bandwidth is not everything if it is limited to a single type of connector that isn't well suited for the vast majority of computer peripherals. Most peripherals do not need huge bandwidth. (Dongles, printers, scanners, mice, even audio interfaces, do not need huge amounts of bandwidth).

Quote:
Running two external monitors in 5k won't be too uncommon moving forwards.
From a laptop? Yes it most certainly will be uncommon for the foreseeable future.

Quote:
The new MBP may be overkill for many now. But less so in a few years.
Again, audio is much less dependant on bandwidth than on processing power so by the time that we truly need large amounts of bandwidth, the CPU will be outdated (for audio use) and thus the current MPB will be outdated.

There is probably a tiny niche market that can use the type of bandwidth the MBP offers in the type of connectors used but to design a whole machine around that tiny niche market while leaving out flexibility and expandability is IMO a poor design choice.

What we will probably all need in the future is more network bandwidth. In light of that I think that a future-proof machine would be better off with 10Gbit Ethernet and a second SSD drive. (M2 or something like that).

IMO 10Gbit Ethernet is a much better way to connect to RAIDs/NASes as it means they can be addressed by everything else in the network too. And having a second super fast internal drive precludes the need to connect directly to a RAID system in most cases. Of course adding a 2nd drive and having 10 GbitE means splitting off some PCIe lanes to cater for the network and disk bandwidth.

I'm not convinced that the design choices have much to do with the huge amount of bandwidth TB offers. It has more to do with ideas of design and elegance but also reduced manufacturing complexity and cost. (Less chip sets to deal with for splitting off PCIe lanes, dealing with regular USB, one less disk controller, avoiding the high cost of current 10 Gbit Ethernet controllers etc etc).

Quote:
The 5k monitor on my iMac is great. There's no way I'd ever go back to a non retina resolution.
Like I said, the MBP's are slick machines. The Retina screens are great. My comments are on the flexibility and expandability of the machines.

Quote:
At the other end of the range I've lived with one USBC port on my 12" MacBook for over a year and it hasn't been difficult. It's obviously not my studio machine where I need more connectivity, but has been in at work with me happily connected to my NAS, printer and internet wirelessly and to a keyboard and mouse by Bluetooth.
Thanks for confirming that in the real world pretty much no one attaches two RAID systems to their laptop let alone two 5K screens and two RAID systems.

Quote:
Any inconvenience of having to buy a usba to USBC cable from eBay has been massively offset by having a laptop that's only 900 grams!!
It need not be offset at all if the designers had designed a flexible and professional machine to start with. Professional machines are machines designed to cater to the current and, to a lesser degree, future needs of professionals with a focus on performance and flexivility. Forcing professionals to adapt to the machine and having to buy extra converters, connectors, external disks and whatnot just to do their job is putting the cart in front of the horse. It is bass ackwards. Great for hobbyists and corporate execs but not so much for professionals that need both power and flexibility.

Just to be clear, Apple are not the only ones guilty of making these kind of design choices. My HTC phone looks really nice. Thin slick metal body etc but I have never seen anyone that hasn't put a case around theirs. (They break easily). So the design is all about marketing rather than practical concerns. They could have made it more rugged and have a slightly larger battery but people look at the shiny slick designs in the shop and are sold.

I think the phone would look _better_ if the protection was built in to start with rather than being achieved by adding an extra case (and extra battery life would be great) but superficial marketing design concerns win out. You could say the same about the MBP: You can add external drives and other peripherals connected through TB and you can add all sorts of connectors and adapters but by the time you do that, it isn't really that slick any more.

Alistair
Old 10th February 2017
Gear Nut

SAID HANRAHAN

"We'll all be rooned," said Hanrahan,
In accents most forlorn,
Outside the church, ere Mass began,
One frosty Sunday morn.

The congregation stood about,
Coat-collars to the ears,
And talked of stock, and crops, and drought,
As it had done for years.

"It's lookin' crook," said Daniel Croke;
"Bedad, it's cruke, me lad,
For never since the banks went broke
Has seasons been so bad."

"It's dry, all right," said young O'Neil,
With which astute remark
He squatted down upon his heel
And chewed a piece of bark.

And so around the chorus ran
"It's keepin' dry, no doubt."
"Before the year is out.

"The crops are done; ye'll have your work
To save one bag of grain;
From here way out to Back-o'-Bourke
They're singin' out for rain.

"They're singin' out for rain," he said,
"And all the tanks are dry."
The congregation scratched its head,
And gazed around the sky.

"There won't be grass, in any case,
Enough to feed an ass;
There's not a blade on Casey's place
As I came down to Mass."

"If rain don't come this month," said Dan,
And cleared his throat to speak--
"If rain don't come this week."

A heavy silence seemed to steal
On all at this remark;
And each man squatted on his heel,
And chewed a piece of bark.

"We want an inch of rain, we do,"
O'Neil observed at last;
But Croke "maintained" we wanted two
To put the danger past.

"If we don't get three inches, man,
Or four to break this drought,
We'll all be rooned," said Hanrahan,
"Before the year is out."

In God's good time down came the rain;
And all the afternoon
On iron roof and window-pane
It drummed a homely tune.

And through the night it pattered still,
And lightsome, gladsome elves
On dripping spout and window-sill
Kept talking to themselves.

It pelted, pelted all day long,
A-singing at its work,
Till every heart took up the song
Way out to Back-o'Bourke.

And every creek a banker ran,
And dams filled overtop;
"If this rain doesn't stop."

And stop it did, in God's good time;
And spring came in to fold
A mantle o'er the hills sublime
Of green and pink and gold.

And days went by on dancing feet,
With harvest-hopes immense,
And laughing eyes beheld the wheat
Nid-nodding o'er the fence.

And, oh, the smiles on every face,
As happy lad and lass
Through grass knee-deep on Casey's place
Went riding down to Mass.

While round the church in clothes genteel
Discoursed the men of mark,
And each man squatted on his heel,
And chewed his piece of bark.

"There'll be bush-fires for sure, me man,
There will, without a doubt;
We'll all be rooned," said Hanrahan,
"Before the year is out."

John O'Brien
Old 10th February 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
There really is very little between them in terms of underlying technology..
The technical underpinnings of Windows 10 and macOS are different enough to yield different power user experiences. Arguably different people will prefer different things, and the OSes have different strengths as well as weaknesses even if some things are similar. This is how it should be.

Quote:
YMMV, etc. Coke or Pepsi...
Whole Earth Organic Cola.
Old 10th February 2017
Lives for gear

you misunderstood. the guy before you posted the MBPs are a toy. Then you posted that the MBPs can drive way more peripherals than anyone could ever need.
I just pointed out that Apple can't win with those 2 differing opinions.

Your opinion about what is professional is just that. your opinion. IMO 4 usbc ports is way more professional. buy whatever cable you need. like any professional can

Quote:
I wrote "lack of flexibility and expandability". If you want to translate that to "toy" then that is fine but they are your words and have nothing to do with what I actually wrote.

Bandwidth is not everything if it is limited to a single type of connector that isn't well suited for the vast majority of computer peripherals. Most peripherals do not need huge bandwidth. (Dongles, printers, scanners, mice, even audio interfaces, do not need huge amounts of bandwidth).

From a laptop? Yes it most certainly will be uncommon for the foreseeable future.

Again, audio is much less dependant on bandwidth than on processing power so by the time that we truly need large amounts of bandwidth, the CPU will be outdated (for audio use) and thus the current MPB will be outdated.

There is probably a tiny niche market that can use the type of bandwidth the MBP offers in the type of connectors used but to design a whole machine around that tiny niche market while leaving out flexibility and expandability is IMO a poor design choice.

What we will probably all need in the future is more network bandwidth. In light of that I think that a future-proof machine would be better off with 10Gbit Ethernet and a second SSD drive. (M2 or something like that).

IMO 10Gbit Ethernet is a much better way to connect to RAIDs/NASes as it means they can be addressed by everything else in the network too. And having a second super fast internal drive precludes the need to connect directly to a RAID system in most cases. Of course adding a 2nd drive and having 10 GbitE means splitting off some PCIe lanes to cater for the network and disk bandwidth.

I'm not convinced that the design choices have much to do with the huge amount of bandwidth TB offers. It has more to do with ideas of design and elegance but also reduced manufacturing complexity and cost. (Less chip sets to deal with for splitting off PCIe lanes, dealing with regular USB, one less disk controller, avoiding the high cost of current 10 Gbit Ethernet controllers etc etc).

Like I said, the MBP's are slick machines. The Retina screens are great. My comments are on the flexibility and expandability of the machines.

Thanks for confirming that in the real world pretty much no one attaches two RAID systems to their laptop let alone two 5K screens and two RAID systems.

It need not be offset at all if the designers had designed a flexible and professional machine to start with. Professional machines are machines designed to cater to the current and, to a lesser degree, future needs of professionals with a focus on performance and flexivility. Forcing professionals to adapt to the machine and having to buy extra converters, connectors, external disks and whatnot just to do their job is putting the cart in front of the horse. It is bass ackwards. Great for hobbyists and corporate execs but not so much for professionals that need both power and flexibility.

Just to be clear, Apple are not the only ones guilty of making these kind of design choices. My HTC phone looks really nice. Thin slick metal body etc but I have never seen anyone that hasn't put a case around theirs. (They break easily). So the design is all about marketing rather than practical concerns. They could have made it more rugged and have a slightly larger battery but people look at the shiny slick designs in the shop and are sold.

I think the phone would look _better_ if the protection was built in to start with rather than being achieved by adding an extra case (and extra battery life would be great) but superficial marketing design concerns win out. You could say the same about the MBP: You can add external drives and other peripherals connected through TB and you can add all sorts of connectors and adapters but by the time you do that, it isn't really that slick any more.

Alistair
Old 10th February 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted User View Post
Just specified an HP Z840 with similar options to my 2009 Mac Pro, which it will be replacing.

Savings are barely noticeable over the Trashcan Mac Pro, once a second processor and graphics cards are added to the base unit (which is single processor and lacks any graphics by default).

And the Linux drivers are an additional charge.
Even at launch, the nMP 4- and 6 -core systems were a pretty good deal if you actually had a use for the GPUs. However, the 8- and 12 cores were heavily overpriced. Our systems are definitely higher priced due to their industry/workstation class components, but we could offer a dual 10-core for the price of the 12 core nMP. Cool & silent even with all components at 100% load, while the 12 core would start overheating and throttling. No idea what they did there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestermagneto View Post
Are there any third party things along the lines of Geekbench etc that DO tell anything about possible audio performance on a machine? Or are there too many variables (from drivers for interfaces to ram, drives etc?)
Not really. For mixing, you will get a better idea about performance relation with Cinebench IMO, as it is a pure offline CPU benchmark. For lower latencies, you would require Dawbench (as @dcoughlan stated), which is a lot harder to use and involves way more parameters:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcoughlan View Post
DAW Bench : DAW Performance Benchmarking

Is the best we got. As you say, lots of variables, but useful for comparison across chips when the same rig is used. Pete Kaine does a useful annual chart and has said in another thread it'll be updated sometime this year with the new offerings from Intel & AMD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefonia View Post
Yes, I'm aware of that.
Just out of curiosity I compared the prices of a XI Machines Basic and a 27" iMac.

XI Machines Basic: € 1.750 ex vat (250GB SSD) 8GB RAM
iMac 27" i5: € 1.753 - 1.921 ex. vat (standard 7.200 HD or FusionDrive) 8GB RAM

Here are comparisons of a few specs

You can add up to 64 GB on both.

XI: PCI and easy to expand, - iMac: no and no

Processors: XI Skylarke (i5 ?), - iMac i5 (Skylarke ?)

XI: No monitor (and maybe no mouse/keyboard), - iMac: 5K 27"

XI Basic might have some futher advantages compared to the iMac than PCI and being easy to expand , but it is interesting to the subject that the prices are what they are. Remember you have to add a 4-5K monitor and maybe a keyboard and mouse to the XI, which adds quite a sum to the price.

Again, not trying to defend/attack mac or pc. Just trying to make the point, that a certain level of quality/reliability seems to have a price.
Well, these boxes are not really comparable, aside from the CPU. We only offer the Xeon variant of the i7 though (i.e. all quadcores with Hyperthreading).
Currently Skylake, Kaby Lake Xeons are not yet released, probably due to the thermal paste cluster**** Intel caused with the i7's (15°C hotter than predecessor).
Old 10th February 2017
Gear Head
Out of curiosity, has anyone here switched / considering switching to Windows / non-Apple hardware over this? I've been running a hackintosh for a while but if I'm perfectly honest this does have me concerned for Apple's future in general.

I'm thinking my best bet may well be to switch to Windows and learn a DAW other than Logic Pro.
Old 10th February 2017
Lives for gear

Everybody is saying that the new MBP can drive two 5K screens but can it in reality? I mean.. What kind of graphics card it has? We have 2013 MBP at studio I sometimes use and I can't really use external monitor when working on bigger Ableton Live projects since driving external screen hinder the whole performance too much..

Besides, after blowing 2 chargers (80 euros a pop)for my 2015 MBP in 1 year I've to say I don't think i'm going to buy a new Apple MBP..
Old 10th February 2017
Deleted User

At least the Macintosh managed a mention, but it's clear the focus of the visit was all about the App Store - i.e. services, the only sector within Apple with any significant growth.
Old 10th February 2017
Quote:

At least the Macintosh managed a mention, but it's clear the focus of the visit was all about the App Store - i.e. services, the only sector within Apple with any significant growth.
...while the Berlin Philharmonic is being recorded on a Windows 7 workstation from us...
Old 10th February 2017
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAW PLUS View Post
...while the Berlin Philharmonic is being recorded on a Windows 7 workstation from us...
Really?

Old 10th February 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Really?

That is a one off recording. Not their standard recording procedure.

Alistair
Old 10th February 2017
Deleted User
Quote:
That is a one off recording. Not their standard recording procedure.
Still doesn't make the prior post globally true for the Berlin Philharmonic. A mixture of technology and products is closer to reality, not a single workstation via a singular method.
Old 10th February 2017
Quote:
Still doesn't make the prior post globally true for the Berlin Philharmonic. A mixture of technology and products is closer to reality, not a single workstation via a singular method.
The direct-to-disc is a project based recording solution. Our workstation is a fixed installation and according to the company who did the installation it still is a loyal servant of the Berlin Philharmonic.
Old 11th February 2017
Lives for gear

Tim Cook may bot be committed, but I am. I just built a Skylake MacPro i7-6700K with 32GB of DDR4 that dual boots Win10 and Sierra 10.12.3 for just over $1200.

Old 11th February 2017
Tui
Gear Guru

That's a Frankentosh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysanfel View Post
Tim Cook may bot be committed, but I am. I just built a Skylake MacPro i7-6700K with 32GB of DDR4 that dual boots Win10 and Sierra 10.12.3 for just over $1200.

Old 11th February 2017
Nice!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysanfel View Post

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search