The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tim Cook on Mac Desktop commitment Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 3rd February 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowkey View Post
Then what is?
Anything but a Mac really...

More seriously, I just checked what HP have on offer currently. Found this page specifically for Apple customers considering a change: Mac to Z | HP® Official Site

Specs of their top of the line Z8 Workstation: 44 CPU cores, 5760 CUDA cores, 1TB RAM, 24 TB Internal Storage, 7 PCIe slots. The most powerful Mac is a pocket calculator in comparison.

Or you could just go for a Mac Mini... err... I mean Z Mini.

HP Z2 Mini: designed for CAD users

(Or even their all-in-one solution: HP Z1 G3 All-In-One Workstations | HP® Official Site )

Alistair
Old 3rd February 2017
Deleted User
The HP Z series is currently about the only "boxed" workstation from the usual suspects that is comparable to the older Mac Pro in terms of component choices. They of course outperform the Mac Pros.

With the transition to Linux, all of our audio-only Mac Pros will be replaced with HP Z840s, matching video editing and graphics suite units.
Old 3rd February 2017
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted User View Post
With the transition to Linux, all of our audio-only Mac Pros will be replaced with HP Z840s, matching video editing and graphics suite units.
Perhaps the time for Linux has finally come.
Old 3rd February 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui View Post
Why would you want to sitch to Linux? (Genuine question).

For me personally, for music production, I don't see any reason to move to Linux unless there is a huge gain in performance which isn't the case. (At least coming from Windows).

It would be nice to see some recent benchmarks comparing DAW efficiency between Linux, OS X and Windows. Does anyone know of any? Maybe for Reaper or Bitwig Studio? The last comprehensive cross-platform benchmarks are about 6 years old and they don't include Linux unfortunately...

Most important to me is the whole ecosystem. Unless a significant amount of developers start creating tools for Linux, the platform isn't particularly attractive due to the lack of available tools. Especially plugins. (Not to mention having to switch DAWs).

Alistair
Old 3rd February 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow View Post
Why would you want to sitch to Linux? (Genuine question).

For me personally, for music production, I don't see any reason to move to Linux unless there is a huge gain in performance which isn't the case. (At least coming from Windows).

It would be nice to see some recent benchmarks comparing DAW efficiency between Linux, OS X and Windows. Does anyone know of any? Maybe for Reaper or Bitwig Studio? The last comprehensive cross-platform benchmarks are about 6 years old and they don't include Linux unfortunately...

Most important to me is the whole ecosystem. Unless a significant amount of developers start creating tools for Linux, the platform isn't particularly attractive due to the lack of available tools. Especially plugins. (Not to mention having to switch DAWs).

Alistair
I think moving to Linux would open the possibility of much better real time processing that is very important to audio.
Being able to fully access cpu cores directly would give you big (massive?), performance gains.
Unfortunately, both Apple and Microsoft are moving towards a more integrated OS in terms of accepting/working with other platforms (phones, tablets, watches...); then a leaner platform.
To me it seems Linux is ripe for professionally orientated platforms, using the HW more effectively towards what you need DAW, CAD, NLE etc.
That been said, we are still not there yet, but, unlike a few years ago, it seems the right time for developers to get on board.
Old 3rd February 2017
Lives for gear
SICKENING....

"Oh yay! MR. Apple promised to keep making our panty shields"

MAN THE F' UP!

Stop gushing over whether a multi-billion dollar death machine will give you some tinker toys to play with as it robs you blind. For all the invasive Data-mining, Spyware motivated OS changes, forced branding and lead-you-by-the-nose-rape-you-in-the#$$ corporate philosophy They Should be paying YOU to use their garbage boxes,

You do know they are slowly but surely trying to get your whole life centered and recorded in and around an Apple product right?

You do know they are mining using and selling you personal information right?

You do know their corporate philosophy of "Cradle to grave" "Brand instilled values" and "Brand leadership"(In case you don't know that means once you are "branded" the brand tells you what you want, not the other way round), right?

And as if it matters after all that, but you know they are making their products to be less useful to creative professionals right? They are removing things you need

And finally you know there are more autonomous computing options out there, that aren't actively trying to enslave you right?

I don't understand how any man could give a single dollar to those cannibals, this is big power center of evil on the planet and if you are putting money into it, you are a problem.

It's one thing to wait for the monster to eat you alive it's another thing to get naked and roll around in ketchup for it
Old 3rd February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cixelsyd View Post
and he's right.
It's a stretch calling the iMac a desktop computer, it's more like a stationary laptop, glued to the back of a monitor...a configuration for those challenged by connecting a few parts. The only iMac that made any sense to me was the sunflower design.
Old 3rd February 2017
Gear Nut
Quote:
you have linux code on win10 too.
time has come for PC on music for sure. My next mac will be an HPZ.
Quote:
More seriously, I just checked what HP have on offer currently.
I receive HP newletter too and I see plenty of nice computers for a fraction of the cost of macs they all look great ! for less than a price of a single glued imac27 i can take 2 HPZ one for win10pro one for linux. Not impressed at all by last apple keynote but very impressed by last Microsoft keynote + Linux audio distributions.
Old 3rd February 2017
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPascal View Post
My next mac will be an HPZ.
Do you mean Hackintosh?
Old 3rd February 2017
Gear Nut
Quote:
Do you mean Hackintosh?
no
win10pro plus linux
Old 3rd February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
no
win10pro plus linux

what audio hardware would you use with Linux?

I like the idea but not being able to have great drivers for my interfaces would be a deal breaker.

I have an old RME PCI card that might work with Linux but would total mix work?

MC
Old 3rd February 2017
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by norbury brook View Post
what audio hardware would you use with Linux?
I like the idea but not being able to have great drivers for my interfaces would be a deal breaker.
I have an old RME PCI card that might work with Linux but would total mix work?

MC
RME works fine on linux
Total mix no but jack control to connect every source to another (same) + maybe one driver for RME soundcards

ALL class compliant soundcards and USB mixing consoles works out of the box with linux: plug and play it works (you dont' need a driver ) everything is recognized that's why more and more people goes to linux. No driver no compilation required (i don't know how to compile something and i'm not interested at all) + more and more audio apps for linux (tracktion harrison mixbus ardour reaper bitwig studio) + a lot of video pro apps (lightworks resolve etc) + with WINE asio you can launch Windows VST and VSTi plugins; I have 2 versions of reaper : linux alpha version and Windows version on my linux. :0) next week i'll try to install... Samplitude !

An USB class compliant soundcard or an RME PCI + nvidia geforce = ready for linux audio and video

to try linux don't install the OS
juste take an USB key download ubuntu studio LTS put it on the usb key with my linux live or unetbootin and try it without installing it. At reboot your pc is still on windows. you can't make a mistake BECAUSE there's a special feature and icon called install linux on the desktop. don't clic on it .If you make a mistake (...) you have only to "install" on live mode, OS UNINSTALLER and it can delete linux launcher without touching Windows launcher, reboot window is ok. no more grub no more linux (you have all details on ubuntu fora it's easy because you only have to paste copy the words )

Something cool I can share all datas on HD2 with linux AND windows with a single app (gui) called NTFS config. Both OS are on HD1 and DATA on HD2. :0)

10 years ago it was a NIGHTTTTMARE to install linux a real pain
Now it's only plug an play for wifi bluetooth, usb keys, and class compliant soundcards and mix consoles
I need a windows driver for my Yamaha MGXU but no driver is required for Mac os x and Linux.

for my HD1 :
1TO
On windows with easy partition master free
600 GO for win10 / 300 for linux
on linux live mode install: on linux partition (300)
12 go swap
30 GO /
rest for home
login password
wifi and updates
reboot it's fine you have your 2 OS on the same HD
And HD2 for all datas for linux and windows shared + HD2 launched thanks to NTFS Config
nothing more to say

Last edited by IPascal; 3rd February 2017 at 09:51 PM..
Old 3rd February 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwDU7 View Post
I think moving to Linux would open the possibility of much better real time processing that is very important to audio.
Being able to fully access cpu cores directly would give you big (massive?), performance gains.
Hi OwDU7,

Are you basing this on any practical experience or knowledge of any technical advantage Linux might have for audio? I personally don't really think Linux will be much more efficient than Windows for DAW usage if at all. Possibly there might be particular distro's that are more efficient for audio but the very existence of dozens of different Linux distro's is one massive disadvantage of Linux and probably something that holds back Linux adoption (not just in the audio world).

Windows is a pretty efficient OS, including for audio at low latency if the interface drivers are well written. (Much more so than OS X which struggles at the lowest latencies compared to Windows due to Apple's choice of kernel threading schemes).

An OS that can implement something like Merging's MassCore technology could be great but there is no open source standard for anything like that at the moment as far as I am aware.

Quote:
Unfortunately, both Apple and Microsoft are moving towards a more integrated OS in terms of accepting/working with other platforms (phones, tablets, watches...); then a leaner platform.
I don't necessarily see this as a problem at the moment. At least as far as Microsoft is concerned. Microsoft seems to be taking the strategy of making the mobile devices compatible with existing Windows platforms which doesn't affect using Windows for audio on a desktop or laptop. Once you are in your DAW working on audio... it really doesn't matter that you can also sync your phone's music playlist or whatever... It could of course become a problem in the future though depending on what Microsoft choose to do.

One thing to remember is that Microsoft have dominated the business market for a very long time now. This is no coincidence. They understand the need for forwards and backwards compatibility. They understand high efficiency performance needs. They understand the business's world needs for stability and communication about future plans and road maps etc. They have been in the workstation, server and cloud computing business for years. They realised they needed to rewrite their OS to be fully multitasking (Win NT) a decade before Apple realized that their single task OS just didn't cut it. Microsoft has always been way ahead of Apple when it comes to understanding and catering to the needs of professional computing. I doubt they will willingly destroy their market position. (Just don't go for the "Home" version of Windows. As the name suggests, it isn't intended for professionals).

As for where Apple are heading... No one seems to know.

Quote:
To me it seems Linux is ripe for professionally orientated platforms, using the HW more effectively towards what you need DAW, CAD, NLE etc.
Linux is great for specialized IT tasks run and managed by IT professionals that want and need the hands on control and flexibility that Linux/BSD/*NIX OSes offer but I think it is less appealing to many developers of tools intended for a non-IT public.

The very flexibility and control that is a boon to IT professionals is likely to be a disadvantage for the deployment of general software products intended for the non-professional market. (I mean IT market here). The lack of a single (or a few) standardized distributions and configurations, the number of things that can be installed wrong, configured wrong, compiled with outdated libraries, missing libraries etc etc etc on Linux platforms could turn out to be a gigantic compatibility, support and maintenance head ache for audio software developers but I admit that I stopped following audio on the Linux platform closely quite a while back so I could be wrong about this.

I was pleasantly surprised to read reynaud's post about switching to Linux for their audio workstations but I think it is much easier for post than for music.

Quote:
That been said, we are still not there yet, but, unlike a few years ago, it seems the right time for developers to get on board.
I hope they do. I think alternatives and competition are a great thing (and there _is_ great potential with Linux) but for the moment I'll take a wait and see attitude towards Linux just as I have for the last two decades.

Alistair
Old 3rd February 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
RME works fine on linux
Total mix no but jack control to connect every source to another (same) + maybe one driver for RME soundcards

ALL class compliant soundcards and USB mixing consoles works out of the box with linux: plug and play it works (you dont' need a driver ) everything is recognized that's why more and more people goes to linux. No driver no compilation required (i don't know how to compile something and i'm not interested at all) + more and more audio apps for linux (tracktion harrison mixbus ardour reaper bitwig studio) + a lot of video pro apps (lightworks resolve etc) + with WINE asio you can launch Windows VST and VSTi plugins; I have 2 versions of reaper : linux alpha version and Windows version on my linux. :0) next week i'll try to install... Samplitude !

An USB class compliant soundcard or an RME PCI + nvidia geforce = ready for linux audio and video
This is great to read! But what is the performance like? Have you done any extended testing and comparisons?

I guess I'll just have to try it for myself... I'm currently looking at options to build (or buy) a new audio workstation so I'll definitely do some performance testing with Linux to see how it performs on the new box once I have it. (I might hackintosh it too if I have time to and create some up to date benchmarks).

Alistair
Old 3rd February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm currently looking at options to build (or buy) a new audio workstation so I'll definitely do some performance testing with Linux to see how it performs on the new box once I have it. (I might hackintosh it too if I have time to and create some up to date benchmarks).
That would be very interesting to see I did a triple boot build on a HP workstation in the '00s and benchmarked network FPS games (Unreal engine? and Nvidia were properly cross platform), RDMSs and some basic UI tests.
Old 4th February 2017
Lives for gear

for me using steinberg interfaces with built in DSP, being able to access the on board DSP for zero latency cue mixes with reverb is a must. I can drop a singer in on a finished mix with my buffers at 1024 and cpu close to the red and give them a zero latency mix with reverb to monitor.

Could I do this in linux?

MC
Old 4th February 2017
Gear Nut
Quote:
This is great to read! But what is the performance like? Have you done any extended testing and comparisons?

I guess I'll just have to try it for myself... I'm currently looking at options to build (or buy) a new audio workstation so I'll definitely do some performance testing with Linux to see how it performs on the new box once I have it. (I might hackintosh it too if I have time to and create some up to date benchmarks).

Alistair
depends on the soft you're using
for harrison mixbus it's GREAT really great
for bitwig also
for ardour 5.5 great too as you can use it for video /sound mixing
for video it's maybe better than mac os (several pros apps on linux)
But if you're looking for a cubase or logic like on linux humm you can pass
for session conversions you can have AA translator, perfectly usable on wine. works flawlessly: so My harrison sessions under linux all full compatible with prtools PTX , AAF OMF and a lot of daws (pyramix samplitude... )

Took me a lot of time to switch.
favorite apps on linux:
Harrison mixbus (on same PC on win10 CPU is near 11% maybe 7/8 on linux with same session) and dozens of plugins (lv2 calf) + my windows plugins via Carla (patcher)
ardour 5.5
Reaper
Ligthworks
AA translator

IMO always missing a cubase or logic like on linux don't know why. If I can i'll keep a mac mini for my logic and linux for audio.

Ubuntu studio is the perfect choice: ready for audio easy to use, standard as it's an ubuntu + real time kernel.
16.01 Long >Time Support (LTS) you can make a dual boot easily and take your time trying linux without risks (if it's not for you nothing changed on your pc and as it's on a USB Key it costs ZERO ) US LTS on USB KEY on Live USB mode . Zero risk. safe. no install no damage to your windows. (it works on mac book pro too )

Linux core audio (if i can call it core audio) is far superior to ASIO official driver
IMO mac os and Linux are at the same level now. (for audio and video not for MIDI : we need a cubase on linux)

Last edited by IPascal; 4th February 2017 at 12:51 AM..
Old 4th February 2017
Lives for gear
I don't see anything about VR and music production, so I'm spacing out.

Linux with Bitwig and U-he is my secret escape plan if Apple won't shape up their product line.
Old 4th February 2017
Gear Nut
Quote:

Alistair
You can have a dual boot linux/mac os : UNIX/UNIX
Quote:
Linux with Bitwig and U-he is my secret escape plan if Apple won't shape up their product line.
Linux + bitwig + harrison mixbus + reaper perfect pack imo :0)
tracktion7 is still to buggy for my taste or maybe i'm unlucky ^^ waiting for waveform (tracktion8)

And of course everything depends on apple's product line. If they kill mac mini and mac pro, I'll switch for ever. I won't pay 3000 euros for a mac book without usb ports or magsafe or for max 16GO ram.
Old 4th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael B View Post
I don't see anything about VR and music production, so I'm spacing out.

Might want to read the namm thread on bitwig first. Basically a subscription model and currently still lagging way behind others in terms of basic functionality
Old 4th February 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael B View Post
Are all U-He plugins functioning on Linux? If so that is great!

Alistair
Old 4th February 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Might want to read the namm thread on bitwig first. Basically a subscription model and currently still lagging way behind others in terms of basic functionality
I'm fine with the support "subscription" model and I don't see many alternatives I can live with on Linux. For one thing I want some kind of Push support as that's my main composition tool at the moment.

Also I can wait. I'm not jumping ship. I'm building a Studio Hackintosh.
Old 4th February 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Are all U-He plugins functioning on Linux? If so that is great!

Alistair
I don't think all, but most. I have yet to try them but I intend to, if I can find the time, like on a long boat trip or something.
Old 4th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbest56 View Post
If I may ask, what makes the imac the "best desktop in the world"? Its limited by a quad core cpu and a gpu that can barely drive the display. Sure the display is nice but anyone who needs more power cant make use of it at all.
There are so many things that make owning a desktop great. And the imac has almost none of them.
Well here in my shared office of Architects, Designers and Marketing/Communications people there are 10 27" iMacs, a macbook Air a 12" Macbook, and an old under the desk nameless PC.

7 of the 10 iMacs run Windows 10. 3 run OSX.

What made them the best desktop for these people? They look good and are well designed with high quality fit and finish. They are not made from crappy plastic. They are easy to manage and because the interior components are essentially not accessible, its easy to buy them second hand knowing theres no dodgy parts. The screens are amazing and several have a second Apple Display attached. They take up very little desk space for their screen size and they don't take up any floor space below the desk. They are basically silent in our air conditioned office. But most importantly they are powerful enough for what everyone does here professionally, using Revit, Autocad, Microstation, Indesign, Photoshop and Illustrator, MS Suite and Outlook.
Old 4th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrible.dee View Post
SICKENING....

You do know they are slowly but surely trying to get your whole life centered and recorded in and around an Apple product right?

You do know their corporate philosophy of "Cradle to grave" "Brand instilled values" and "Brand leadership"(In case you don't know that means once you are "branded" the brand tells you what you want, not the other way round), right?

I don't understand how any man could give a single dollar to those cannibals, this is big power center of evil on the planet and if you are putting money into it, you are a problem.
Because to some of us, we just see these things as tools, and we can afford them?
Old 4th February 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsar modular View Post
It's a stretch calling the iMac a desktop computer, it's more like a stationary laptop, glued to the back of a monitor...a configuration for those challenged by connecting a few parts. The only iMac that made any sense to me was the sunflower design.
I don't care what you want to call it. I'm thoroughly enjoying my 27 inch Retina iMac which is resting on my desktop.

I'm noticing that the Surface Studio isn't too much different. wouldn't mind having one.
Old 4th February 2017
Gear Nut
Quote:
Well here in my shared office of Architects, Designers and Marketing/Communications people there are 10 27" iMacs, a macbook Air a 12" Macbook, and an old under the desk nameless PC. .
curious times
people works on windows10 on Imacs
and other people makes hackintoshs for Mac os
Old 4th February 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
curious times
people works on windows10 on Imacs
and other people makes hackintoshs for Mac os
hilarious and true
Old 4th February 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Hi OwDU7,

Are you basing this on any practical experience or knowledge of any technical advantage Linux might have for audio? I personally don't really think Linux will be much more efficient than Windows for DAW usage if at all. Possibly there might be particular distro's that are more efficient for audio but the very existence of dozens of different Linux distro's is one massive disadvantage of Linux and probably something that holds back Linux adoption (not just in the audio world).
Thank you for your post Alistair.

Nope.
It is just that it seems to be the only platform that can be used to do what I was mentioning.
And yes. Being an open platform is a big problem, but also an opportunity?

Quote:
Windows is a pretty efficient OS, including for audio at low latency if the interface drivers are well written. (Much more so than OS X which struggles at the lowest latencies compared to Windows due to Apple's choice of kernel threading schemes).

An OS that can implement something like Merging's MassCore technology could be great but there is no open source standard for anything like that at the moment as far as I am aware.
The main problem with Windows and MacOS (OSX has been killed by its creators ), is that between forced upgrades and useless features, they are at minimum unpredictable.

Now Masscore is what I am talking about.
Being able to create a Linux distro that is a base for developers to create DAWS that have access and direct control of some system resources would be ideal. This however seems to be against the interests of Avid, Waves, UAD etc as it would basically obsolete their HW and take away revenue...

I will follow what happens to Reaper...

Quote:
As for where Apple are heading... No one seems to know.
Frustrating... ...

Quote:
Linux is great for specialized IT tasks run and managed by IT professionals that want and need the hands on control and flexibility that Linux/BSD/*NIX OSes offer but I think it is less appealing to many developers of tools intended for a non-IT public.

The very flexibility and control that is a boon to IT professionals is likely to be a disadvantage for the deployment of general software products intended for the non-professional market. (I mean IT market here). The lack of a single (or a few) standardized distributions and configurations, the number of things that can be installed wrong, configured wrong, compiled with outdated libraries, missing libraries etc etc etc on Linux platforms could turn out to be a gigantic compatibility, support and maintenance head ache for audio software developers but I admit that I stopped following audio on the Linux platform closely quite a while back so I could be wrong about this.

I was pleasantly surprised to read reynaud's post about switching to Linux for their audio workstations but I think it is much easier for post than for music.
This would not be a problem with the correct implementation.
To have Linux as an alternative DAW platform you would have to have a major DAW dev. onboard + an experienced Linux distr. to maintain and evolve the platform.
This IMHO would have many advantages, beside performance gains, piracy, security would be important assets as well.
This would not be a general purpose type of os, so no gaming, movies, etc.
That too would be a big advantage.

Quote:
I hope they do. I think alternatives and competition are a great thing (and there _is_ great potential with Linux) but for the moment I'll take a wait and see attitude towards Linux just as I have for the last two decades.

Alistair
That is my hope as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbury brook View Post
for me using steinberg interfaces with built in DSP, being able to access the on board DSP for zero latency cue mixes with reverb is a must. I can drop a singer in on a finished mix with my buffers at 1024 and cpu close to the red and give them a zero latency mix with reverb to monitor.

Could I do this in linux?

MC
If correctly implemented then yes...
If Linux does not offer better than what we have, then there is no point is their?
Old 5th February 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPower View Post
While PCI may not be totally dead for audio it is on serious life support :-). Virtually no-one is making PCI audio interfaces and the amount of new PCI audio interfaces in 2016 is - I am not sure there were any...
There may not be audio interfaces but there are low-latency audio-over-Ethernet cards for the proprietary Dante system

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search