The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tim Cook on Mac Desktop commitment Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 1st February 2017
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverb View Post
Not sure about that, Augmented Reality will have some benefits, mostly for advertisers
The biggest advancements in Augmented Reality (or as it is often termed, Mixed Reality or Blended Reality), along with the majority of R&D spending in this area are in healthcare, Apple's current favourite sector.

WWDC 2017 will illustrate how deeply Apple is willing to invest in this sector and if the car industry will be a secondary focus.

When the CEO views Augmented Reality as "sort of a core technology" it should be a hint along with its Augmented Reality company acquisitions, including some Google (or is that Alphabet) were eyeing.

Quote:
VR will be able to immerse people anywhere in the world and once live-streaming hits the right amount of quality it will completely change everything
The EBU has found that 20 minutes is the maximum time viewers prefer to watch VR narrative content which is too short for a lot of content types you mention. Its scope is therefore limited.
Old 1st February 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted User View Post
The biggest advancements in Augmented Reality (or as it is often termed, Mixed Reality or Blended Reality), along with the majority of R&D spending in this area are in healthcare, Apple's current favourite sector.

WWDC 2017 will illustrate how deeply Apple is willing to invest in this sector and if the car industry will be a secondary focus.

When the CEO views Augmented Reality as "sort of a core technology" it should be a hint along with its Augmented Reality company acquisitions, including some Google (or is that Alphabet) were eyeing.

The EBU has found that 20 minutes is the maximum time viewers prefer to watch VR narrative content which is too short for a lot of content types you mention. Its scope is therefore limited.
VR is still new and the tech is being developed - people will grow accustomed to it and strides will be made. I can easily use it for an hour without issue. If you take breaks you can go all day really.
Old 1st February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsar modular View Post
It was pretty good, but the last refresh made it much harder to upgrade and removed the quad-core option. Apple shot it down themselves.
No. That's what I thought, but when that generation of MacMini was launched, ArsTechnica explained that Intel no longer made an equivalent quad-core.
Old 1st February 2017
Deleted User
Quote:
I can easily use it for an hour without issue. If you take breaks you can go all day really.
You're the exception.

Just read a mobile game industry report released today and compiled by Superdata Research. The report claims that the average VR game session on mobile only lasted 7 minutes and on desktop/console, an average session duration of 12 minutes (which matched the non-VR game session duration of around 10 minutes on average).

In other words, sessions are very short and for narrative content or live performance or sports streams, VR isn't likely to be a key focus area for these sectors for that reason. Perhaps more of a novelty.
Old 1st February 2017
qwe
Lives for gear

Quote:
narrative content or live performance or sports streams, VR isn't likely to be a key focus area for these sectors for that reason.
Seems appropriate to mention in this context that 3D TV (unfortunately) tanked...
Old 1st February 2017
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwe View Post
Seems appropriate to mention in this context that 3D TV (unfortunately) tanked...
Sony and LG both reporting today that their new televsion displays (2017 models) will no longer include 3D functionality. That's the end for the home market. May remain a niche in the cinema.
Old 1st February 2017
qwe
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sony and LG both reporting today that their new televsion displays (2017 models) will no longer include 3D functionality. That's the end for the home market. May remain a niche in the cinema.
That's a real shame, I like 3D for the right content.

Clearly the idea of people sticking on 3D glasses whilst eating dinner and fiddling around with their smartphones or tablets in front of the TV--or God forbid talking to each other and/or otherwise with interacting with the physical world--didn't catch on!
Old 1st February 2017
Deleted User
There's always the holographic television broadcast for the next round.
Old 1st February 2017
qwe
Lives for gear

Quote:
There's always the holographic television broadcast for the next round.
Cool stuff. It seems most people just see the TV as this thing that's perpetually on in the corner of the room--with the content being some risible 'reality TV' show--and typically with dreadful audio as well?!

I used to have a home cinema setup with front projection and very good sound system inc. 'home built' subwoofer with high-excursion professional drivers. (The reason I don't at the moment is a sorry story to do with a leaking water tank. :-()

Visitors could never really grasp that much of the impression of 'scale' and 'impact' wasn't coming from the large screen but the sound system, both in terms of its clarity and accuracy, and high LF SPL capability.

In any case IMO there's no point in HDR, monster sized screens, 3D, holographic displays or whatever without the sound to match...
Old 1st February 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
You're the exception.

Just read a mobile game industry report released today and compiled by Superdata Research. The report claims that the average VR game session on mobile only lasted 7 minutes and on desktop/console, an average session duration of 12 minutes (which matched the non-VR game session duration of around 10 minutes on average).

In other words, sessions are very short and for narrative content or live performance or sports streams, VR isn't likely to be a key focus area for these sectors for that reason. Perhaps more of a novelty.
I spent a couple of hours trying out all the main VR technologies at this place in NYC.
It is in its infancy, where the games are the equivalent of pong or ms paint. But it is not a novelty- I left convinced that it is the future. Painting a 3D sculpture in midair, which you can walk around in real space, is mesmerizing. I'd have done it for hours. And it's memorable like an actual experience. You feel like you were in that world. As opposed to traditional games, where you might remember what you "accomplished" but are unlikely to remember specific events.
Once developers catch up to he technology, VR will be mind blowing and ubiquitous.

Apple must know that, which is why it will at some point build suitably powered machines. If only because developers need the horsepower. Recall the occulus founder's statement that he won't develop for Mac until Apple releases a good computer.

Also, the posters who say systems today are fine and always will be are missing a couple of things. First, mac's current technical limitations are hamstringing what developers can do. Give them the horsepower and they'll develop things we can only imagine.
Second, take a look at the acustica / nebula thread. Page after page of giddiness. The only problem is that the programs are so resource intensive. If that technology is the wave of future, we're all gonna need bigger boats.
Old 1st February 2017
Quote:
VR is world's better than 3d TV . To those who think its a gimmick - just go try it !
Old 1st February 2017
qwe
Lives for gear

Quote:
VR is world's better than 3d TV . To those who think its a gimmick - just go try it !
OK--I'll put my cynicism on its commercial prospects aside whilst adding it to my to-do list to check it out for myself. :-)
Old 1st February 2017
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808KickDrum View Post
But it is not a novelty- I left convinced that it is the future
Two years on, the amount of VR work has slowed to a trickle. Much of the excitement around the technology from clients has transitioned away and more time is now spent on HDR for video (and game visuals) and immersive audio (not ambisonics or binaural) for the soundtrack.

Having spoken to a few colleagues in other parts of the world, this seems to be the case in their markets too.
Old 1st February 2017
Lives for gear
Perhaps, but i product that will change overnight when the Killer App comes along. Like an app that turns your wife into a lusty Mila Kunis.

Quote:
Two years on, the amount of VR work has slowed to a trickle. Much of the excitement around the technology from clients has transitioned away and more time is now spent on HDR for video (and game visuals) and immersive audio (not ambisonics or binaural) for the soundtrack.

Having spoken to a few colleagues in other parts of the world, this seems to be the case in their markets too.
Old 1st February 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
You're the exception.

That is one way of looking at the data. Another way is that people spend 20% longer on VR games than regular games with all the possibilities that that entails.

Also the sessions being short probably says more about the games than the 3D format. Avatar is still the highest grossing movie of all time which disproves that 3D isn't suitable for long format content.

Alistair
Old 1st February 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow View Post
That is one way of looking at the data. Another way is that people spend 20% longer on VR games than regular games with all the possibilities that that entails.

Also the sessions being short probably says more about the games than the 3D format. Avatar is still the highest grossing movie of all time which disproves that 3D isn't suitable for long format content.

Alistair
VR games on mobile are still way underpowered so there is a limit to the complexity of the games right now, on Gear VR anyway. But that will change as the phones become more powerful, and that limitation doesn't apply to PCs. Even watching a short movie on Gear VR is very impressive and there is a ton of video content from events being released all the time.
Old 1st February 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui View Post
LobCity, you don't seem to know what a quote is.

quote |kwəʊt|
verb [ with obj. ]
1 repeat or copy out (words from a text or speech written or spoken by another person): I realized she was quoting passages from Shakespeare | [ no obj. ] : he quoted from the scriptures.
• repeat a statement by (someone): a military spokesman was quoted as saying that the border was now quiet.

"Repeat or copy"... See? That's what I did. Verbatim. I then focussed on parts of that quote, which is what everybody does.

Everybody, as in everyone who reads this thread and draws their own conclusions from it.

I am sorry if you find reading a full quote "misleading". You must have a hard time following newspaper articles, too.
Yes, you included two full quotes, but then there was a third section and it didn't involve a full quote. In this third section in question, you segmented parts of two separate quotes, and pieced them together with your own words. You shouldn't be surprised to have someone point this out, since you did it quite purposefully. Although I find embedded definitions horribly cliche, apparently you don't, so try to familiarize yourself with this concept:

con·text
ˈkäntekst/
noun
the circumstances that form the setting for an event, statement, or idea, and in terms of which it can be fully understood and assessed.

You removed quotes from context and implied your own meaning. You know you did this as well, and now because I demonstrated both the flaw in your initial inference, and the fallacy by which you attempted to justify it when another user pointed it out, you're casting petty aspersions about me.

I hardly think any user in this thread would examine my statements and in any way determine that I might not understand what a quote is, or that I might have a hard time following newspaper articles. The likely conclusion of any objective reader would simply be that you're committed to being obtuse and aren't above petty remarks, meanwhile I appear to value accuracy or precision of language.
Old 1st February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Those are all "labels" which can be misused by marketing.

There are many examples of "audiophile high-end" speakers which are terribly inaccurate. (Besides, "audiophiles" are "consumers"?)

OTOH, the LS3/5A (for instance) was designed by the BBC for "studio monitoring" purposes, and was also quite successful as an "audiophile" product.

"Labels" can, of course, properly used imply design tradeoffs, such as professional sound-reinforcement speakers where SPL output and reliability is more important than absolute sound quality and accuracy (e.g. bass extension vs. efficiency tradeoff.)

So simply claiming a product is a "studio monitor" is meaningless, but within the constraints of cost, size, etc., a "studio monitor" ought to be a loudspeaker designed to be accurate and suitable for critical applications.
Of course I agree. I was being a ironic. I think of "Audiophile" as a pejorative.
Old 1st February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808KickDrum View Post
Perhaps, but i product that will change overnight when the Killer App comes along. Like an app that turns your wife into a lusty Mila Kunis.
That's not an app, that's alcohol.
Old 2nd February 2017
qwe
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Jazz View Post
Of course I agree. I was being a ironic. I think of "Audiophile" as a pejorative.
Oh. Oops. :-)

Audiophile products range from the well engineered (like Tannoy or KEF speakers) to nutcase 'accessories' (like small pieces of wood which stuck in the appropriate place balance the energy of your room to improve acoustics or whatever nonsense mystical process is claimed for them!) At any rate, I'd prefer to distinguish between the concept of 'audiophile' (i.e. accurate reproduction of the recording--a noble goal)--and the nonsense spouted by many audiophiles. :-(
Old 2nd February 2017
Deleted User
Quote:
That is one way of looking at the data
The Superdata results seem to match quite well the findings of the EBU (roughly 20 minutes maximum duration), which is derived from some of the research conducted by Fraunhofer (who incidentally has been researching this longer than anyone else).

I prefer to use multiple data points from multiple sources before arriving at a conclusion, instead of a single data point from a single source.

Taking the Superdata results alone only gives insight in to a single sector over a given year period. With the EBU and Fraunhofer data, it's interesting that the maximum session duration matches so closely.
Old 2nd February 2017
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LobCity View Post
Yes, you included two full quotes, but then there was a third section and it didn't involve a full quote.
It is called "commentary". You might want to look up this word, too.
Old 2nd February 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
The Superdata results seem to match quite well the findings of the EBU (roughly 20 minutes maximum duration), which is derived from some of the research conducted by Fraunhofer (who incidentally has been researching this longer than anyone else).

I prefer to use multiple data points from multiple sources before arriving at a conclusion, instead of a single data point from a single source.

Taking the Superdata results alone only gives insight in to a single sector over a given year period. With the EBU and Fraunhofer data, it's interesting that the maximum session duration matches so closely.
Hi Reynaud,

I'm not so much questioning the data as the conclusions. And I suppose I'm also questioning the test methodology. For instance, how do Superdata arrive at a 12 minute vs 10 min average session length unless they are using short games to have enough granularity in the results? And if they are using short games well then obviously people will play a few short games and then take a break just as they do with regular games but according to the numbers you posted, people will play the VR games longer than the non-VR games.

This relative difference in session length to me is vastly more important than the session lengths themselves. This says much more about the potential markets and popularity than the actual session lengths. It seems to me that the sessions lengths are more representative of the test methodologies and material than anything else as they are just as short or shorter for regular games. Anyone concluding from that 10 min number for non-VR games that gaming is not a gigantic (potential) market would be completely wrong.

Admittedly I haven't read the actual research so I can only base my comments on the few numbers you gave. Do you have any links to any of this research or paper? (Or anything from the EBU or Fraunhoffer) That might give me a different view on this.

Thanks,

Alistair
Old 2nd February 2017
Deleted User
Quote:
Do you have any links to any of this research or paper? (Or anything from the EBU or Fraunhoffer) That might give me a different view on this.
Unfortunately, none of the research papers from Fraunhofer or the EBU are free. Even the Superdata full report is paid, but still cheaper than the Fraunhofer papers.

Cornell's congnitive labs may have some non-paid research papers available. Will share what I am able to find.
Old 2nd February 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alndln View Post
Then again he thinks the iMac is the "best desktop in the world".
and he's right.
Old 2nd February 2017
Lives for gear

No, he's not.
Old 2nd February 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Unfortunately, none of the research papers from Fraunhofer or the EBU are free. Even the Superdata full report is paid, but still cheaper than the Fraunhofer papers.

Cornell's congnitive labs may have some non-paid research papers available. Will share what I am able to find.
I suspected these might not be free. I can't find much on this specific topic at Cornell either. Thanks anyway!

Alistair
Old 2nd February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeaudio View Post
No, he's not.
Then what is?
Old 2nd February 2017
Lives for gear

The one with the best benchmark results for music production, best connectivity, most flexibility etc.
Old 3rd February 2017
Gear Head
If I may ask, what makes the imac the "best desktop in the world"? Its limited by a quad core cpu and a gpu that can barely drive the display. Sure the display is nice but anyone who needs more power cant make use of it at all.
There are so many things that make owning a desktop great. And the imac has almost none of them.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search