The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Distortion stomp boxes? Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 1st January 2017
Lives for gear

Distortion stomp boxes?

I am looking for distortion plug-ins very quick and easy to use.
Something very aggressive with a triangular oscillator feel.
I know camel, amp racks stomps and many other trash etc ohmforce etc.

I am looking for something easy, versatile and "triangular".

I like how the Softube's bass amp sim DI sounds as well.
Old 2nd January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy3 View Post
I am looking for distortion plug-ins very quick and easy to use.
Something very aggressive with a triangular oscillator feel.
I know camel, amp racks stomps and many other trash etc ohmforce etc.

I am looking for something easy, versatile and "triangular".

Plugin Alliance have a few, not sure if it's what you are after, though.
Old 2nd January 2017
May be a little overkill for what you need but Guitar Rig is very decent and has many emulations of well-known distortion pedals. Or if you're just looking for a trash/overdrive sound, SoundToys Decapitator is probably the best one on the planet.
Old 2nd January 2017
Gear Maniac

BIAS pedal is free for the moment...
Old 4th January 2017
Do you have a link? I went to their website and there's no mention of a free version other than the demo.
Old 4th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Here's the link.
Old 5th January 2017
Yeah that's where I was...only the demo is free
Old 5th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Mmmm not sure. You can download it for free. It will display 'demo' until you connect to your PG account. Then you can download custom presets and find many ODs to your taste. It seems to be fully functional without any kind of restriction. The app shows a 'professional' license after login. I haven't really tested yet, just downloaded it when it was advertised by PG as a Xmas gift.
Old 6th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by rksguit View Post
Sure, but that's not really a distortion plugin. Anyway I'm not totally convinced by the utility of virtual pedalboards. They're useful in real life, but there's plenty of amps modelling or distortion plugins on the market today (let say Unfiltered Indent) to fit our needs.
Old 6th January 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by mininoyz View Post
Mmmm not sure. You can download it for free. It will display 'demo' until you connect to your PG account. Then you can download custom presets and find many ODs to your taste. It seems to be fully functional without any kind of restriction. The app shows a 'professional' license after login. I haven't really tested yet, just downloaded it when it was advertised by PG as a Xmas gift.
Oh you were right, but the promo ended a few days ago:

Get Positive Grid's $99 BIAS Pedal Distortion For FREE! - Bedroom Producers Blog

That's neat though, I hadn't heard of those guys and it looks like potentially a very cool product.
Old 6th January 2017
Gear Nut

Bias Pedal is the weakest of all Bias products I tried, and sounds nothing like actual pedals. Bias FX is better for that, or just about any other ampsim with pedals (Amplitube, GR5, Kuassa etc.), though the field isn't very developed at the moment, what with everyone still trying to pin down those classic amps.
Old 7th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy3 View Post
I particularly liked how the Reason RE version sounds.. The guitar one.. Still has a great sound..
Old 9th January 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by mininoyz View Post
Sure, but that's not really a distortion plugin. Anyway I'm not totally convinced by the utility of virtual pedalboards. They're useful in real life, but there's plenty of amps modelling or distortion plugins on the market today (let say Unfiltered Indent) to fit our needs.
Yeah sure,it's just another freebie that's all,I'm a guitar player and I'm actually super sick of Amp sims n stuff,got nearly all unfortunately,I'm definitely going back to micing my Marshall 2203.
Old 9th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Same here. The thrill is gone... Brainworx stuff is not bad though. I'd like to test a few other HW options : UAD, KPA, Helix...
Old 10th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCrucifix View Post
Bias Pedal is the weakest of all Bias products I tried, and sounds nothing like actual pedals. Bias FX is better for that, or just about any other ampsim with pedals (Amplitube, GR5, Kuassa etc.), though the field isn't very developed at the moment, what with everyone still trying to pin down those classic amps.
Tested today and in fact the plugin is not bad at all. You just have to disable the amp (yes, there's an amp in the chain by default and it's a mess). The fuzzface is really good. I use it in front of Brainworx Bassdude. Nice.
Old 14th January 2017
Lives for gear

I can't find BX's stomps.
Old 14th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Do you mean Brainworx emulations ? http://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/products.html > Guitar
Old 14th January 2017
Lives for gear

Take a look at Waves GTR.
Old 15th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbvoxx View Post
Take a look at Waves GTR.
Although its a little over due for a bit of a refresh, those GTR emulations still have some great millage left in them.

Guitar Plugins - GTR3 | Bundles | Waves

I love the fact that they are either modelled on boutique amps or custom modded versions of the amps. It seems to give you the feeling of a slightly more original sound. It could just be a placebo effect, though.

The pedals are seemingly just as usable. Ive even successfully assigned my foot controller to the wah effect for a bit of the classic manual modulation effect from early funk style sound. It pulls up very well indeed.

Back on to the topic is it also has its fair share of distortion pedals. It has a seperate 2-up, 4-up and 6-up pedal board, so the effects aren't necessarily integrated with the amp emulations.

Worthwhile checking out, but wait for it to go on sale if you want to save heaps of cash.
Old 15th January 2017
Lives for gear

Check out Massey THC.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search