The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
DAW into PT12 setup - two computers DAW Software
Old 1st January 2017
Here for the gear

DAW into PT12 setup - two computers

Looking for a way to connect two macs (one 2014 iMac running Digital Performer or Logic, one iMac running PT12).

What I'm aiming for is to make orchestral mockups in DP/Logic (yes, I use both ) and to route the signal directly through to the other computer running PT. In other words, midi on one machine, audio on the other. And some magic in the middle to make it happen.

I've seen a studio where this is done, but don't know what gear they used to make the two sync or what's used to send the audio between the two. They were also using PT HD so maybe that makes a difference.

Anyone else doing this or something similar? Not sure where to start looking so any info helps.
Old 1st January 2017
Lives for gear

Search daw farm topics here. I've been running midi/audio daw farms for over a decade. If your interfaces have dedicated clocking ports, that's helpful. Also visit VI control forums as that is full of daw farm guys, many who do movie composition etc. You'll get specific setup ideas there as well.
Old 1st January 2017
Here for the gear

Thanks, I haven't heard of daw farms before. Good place to start some research..
Old 1st January 2017
'Master & Slave' is another key word/phrase, in addition to 'Daw Farm'. There are various ways to use/network 2 or more computers, so you can take your pick of which you think suits your needs better.

There is 'synchronization' in that each computer can simultaneously receive master transport control commands, and be linked together in PLAY/STOP etc modes with sample accuracy. There are various methods to synchronize, such as a dedicated hardware synchronization device, which have standard Word Clock & digital audio clock type connections (and midi connections for sending transport commands, while clock keeps them locked together ). When you have synchronization, you can still route audio and midi between all computers as you wish, and with different configurations as desired. With a larger number of computers, you can even incorporate a mixer board.

You can record audio & midi on one computer, and just send that midi to a 2nd computer loaded with virtual instruments, and send the audio from the 2nd computer back to the 1st. This is known as audio/midi sound card networking, I believe the oldest & simplest method. This is much like using the 2nd computer as a basic midi sound module, and there's no actual synchronization involved with this method. Although, if you do have synchronization capabilities, as said above, you can still route audio & midi as you wish.

Many DAW software's have their own built-in proprietary networking protocols. Cubase has 'VST System Link', Logic has their own thing (can't recall the name), Reaper has 'ReaMote', etc, etc. But if you're using two different DAW software's you'll need to use a more universal/non proprietary protocol...such as a hardware synchronization device, audio midi sound card networking, or an Ethernet solution such as Vienna Ensemble Pro, FX-Max FX-Teleport (an older app), or something like iPmidi etc.

My 1st venture with 2 computers was simple audio/midi sound card networking, and it worked great using my 2nd PC as a glorified midi sound module, running all my VSTi's. I use FX-Max FX-Teleport for a short period with Ethernet, but for some reason it put strain on both my PC's, and audio/midi sound card networking out performed it (for me). I never have tried the other widely used Ethernet networking solution Vienna Ensemble Pro, but it's users highly recommend it. I personally shy away on Ethernet solutions, but don't let that deter you from it.

I use Cubase, so I'm using VST System Link (VSL) now among several PC's. Although, System Link uses a digital audio connection to send/receive clocking synchronization signals (as well as it can send digital audio, midi & transport commands), I can also use my dedicated hardware synchronization device (a Digital Time Piece from MOTU) to use it for it's BNC Word Clock, and just use the VST System Link digital connection for my transport commands. Though VSL can very well send tons of midi, I choose to dedicate one PC as my VSTi machine, where I record all my midi in this PC directly...rather than record midi into my audio PC. I still even have my audio/midi networking method in tact and ready to use, although I can do the same thing, but even better with my System Link (if I wanted).

The above is just my own experience & methods. Anything else you need to know, you can do some research as suggested.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search