The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Playback Halts Dynamics Plugins
Old 31st December 2016
Lives for gear

Playback Halts

Within one week, two seperate instances of this have reared their ugly heads.

I5 laptop, running Win 10 and Sonar X2P, driving a MIDI/DMX lightshow. Stereo music track, three MIDI tracks, playback halts intermittantly, no "Audio Engine Dropout" message, it just stops, as if I had hit pause or stop. Starts instantly on clicking play. Tends to group the halts together... two, three, five halts in quick succession, then several passes start to finish, no probs.

Completely seperate, I7 desktop, running Adobe Premiere Elements on Win 8. Not networked with the I5, no shared hardware, absolutely no common elements except...

... I'm editing video from the same lightshow, and it's doing the same thing. Damn creepy really, never seen this before, on either PC, and not on any of the other 10 production machines here, never seen it on any other computer either.

The video clips come from Handicams recording internally, uploaded via USB. The audio file has common roots. Slash, Anastasia, ripped to MP3, imported to the audio and video projects from the same original rip.

What makes PC playback software halt? Without error message? Besides clicking "stop" with the mouse or keyboard?

This is so strange, I don't even know where to start.
Old 1st January 2017
Lives for gear

Yeah, this was a long shot, oh well.

Tried running performance monitor while playing back video, got one hard disk traffic spike 3-5 seconds before one halt, then a couple halts w no spikes, and then it quit halting all together.

Guessing both of these are buffers running dry...hard disc w video, and MIDI with the lightshow laptop.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search