The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
When is it necessary to reinstall OS X? DAW Software
Old 31st December 2016
Gear Addict

When is it necessary to reinstall OS X?

I'm crashing several times a day, just doing things like editing, nothing CPU intensive. I'm getting constant AAE 6101 errors, which started out of nowhere one day. Just today I started getting about a 1.5 second lag when I start playback (it doesn't lag once you've started from an insertion point once, but if you move to a new spot on the time line, first time you start playback from that point it lags). I've got laggy faders and counters (which I know is an issue, but it seems to be getting worse). I've trashed every single preference so many times using the PT Preffs app. Kinda just getting frustrated.

I'm not very "clean" when it comes to my computer. I use it to browse online, I'm constantly downloading new random plugins and apps, some apps that I know have spyware in them but need them for whatever reason (dead iphone recovery software for example). As far as plugins go, I'm pretty good about cleaning out my folder when demos expire, a plugin is buggy, etc.

I don't fully understand how computers operate, and that leaves me feeling like I'm constantly not doing something right. I'll go through and trash apps I don't use or that are buggy. Kind of try to tidy things up, but I always feel like I'm sweeping the mess under the rug and not really cleaning anything. For example, I'll be looking in the Application Support folder in OS X and see folders from apps that I deleted months ago, and it makes me feel like my computer is just dirty.

So when is a good time to start over from scratch? It's a huge pain in the ass, but I get that feeling of swishing mouthwash and putting on fresh deodorant when what I really need is a shower, every time I sit down at my computer and try to "clean" it.

I'm not having any issues outside of Pro Tools in OS X, that I can tell. Everything seems to be fine. Very rarely an app will crash, but thats pretty uncommon. Is there something I can do that is the equivalent of a deep clean that isn't completely reformatting and starting from scratch?

Also, being on 12.6.1, is there an operating system beside 10.10.5 that it known to be more stable?
Old 1st January 2017
Here for the gear

Don't worry about those Application Support folders too much. I'm passingly curious what you download that you think has spyware.

If only ProTools is giving you ****, you may just need to properly clean reinstall Pro Tools and plugins. I don't use Pro Tools, but you might need to email them with your particular problems if no one reaches out to you here with advice.
Old 1st January 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by templeprocess View Post
Don't worry about those Application Support folders too much. I'm passingly curious what you download that you think has spyware.

If only ProTools is giving you ****, you may just need to properly clean reinstall Pro Tools and plugins. I don't use Pro Tools, but you might need to email them with your particular problems if no one reaches out to you here with advice.
I can't remember what the app was called. But it was to retrieve data off a damaged iPhone. I read reviews that said it worked but beware of spyware. It did work, and then I deleted it ran a virus thing for OS X that found it and deleted it. But I always just wonder if my computer is all bogged down.
Old 1st January 2017
Gear Nut

Download and run this program:

EtreCheck

It will produce a report. Post the report here. That report will probably identify certain things on your machine that might be causing trouble and that you can get rid of easily.
Old 1st January 2017
Lives for gear

I had a similar issue. Shut down unused extension particularly blue tooth and all that crashing stopped. My suggestions would be to shut down all that extra unused stuff, reload PT and you should be good.
Old 1st January 2017
Lives for gear

I had crashing problems in PT a couple of years ago. Turned out to be bad ram. But if that is the only program crashing your computer, I would start with re-installing just PT and see if that clears it. If not, do a search for free programs to check your ram. I'm on a Mac Pro and the software showed my ram was good, but when I took it to the genius bar, they did more extensive testing and found there was a bad stick. Replaced it and no further issues.
L.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search