The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Uninspired Workflow DAW Software
Old 31st December 2016
Deleted User
Uninspired Workflow

I realized I am no longer having fun making music.

The biggest workflow killer is currently is having all these instrument plug-ins having to go through long lists of uninspiring presets to find something usable. Constantly opening and closing different plug-ins with different user interfaces and workflows get uninspiring quickly.

Long story short, I just want to sample going forward. And by sample I mean everything. Sampling other music, films, sounds, tv shows, open drums, open string/keyboard other instrument sounds to renting hardware keyboards and sampling those. This way I am always listening to new stuff and getting new sounds that other people can't get in 'XYZ' plug-in. AKA, no midi, straight audio.

I just need slight guidance in how to go about this. I have Pro Tools & Ableton as DAWs, as well as kontakt, so I know I already have very serious tools to use, it's just now using them in a different way that I'm use to.

Can Ableton sample keyboards and external hardware? How can I also sample my current instrument plug-ins? The trick here is that sampling can be way more technical than creative and I want to be able to sample external hardware with ease and with less cursing as much as possible.

This is new creative territory for me and any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks!
Old 31st December 2016
Gear Maniac

Current instrument plugins: program the MIDI, bounce down to audio, chop into pieces, drag into Kontakt.

External instruments: program the MIDI, send it to the instrument, record audio in, chop if necessary, drag to Kontakt.

Everything else: use one or more mics or a digital sound recorder, record audio in, etc.
Old 31st December 2016
Lives for gear

spent any time on sound design? I used to do the preset shuffle too...finally got a nice outboard synth and spent the effort working on programming. can be inspiring in itself. I wish i had that mindset earlier be a lot further along i think.

I remember when i got ableton suite...i went through like all the presets and organized them in a folders that i thought i might use...and still ended up going through all of them finding stuff i like.

Also getting stuff out of the computer can help alot too...this is where i think the biggest difference between hardware/software is...hands on interface/interaction...feels like its easier to get to really know an "instrument" in that respect.

Also some benefit in limiting yourself in some respects....interesting in some peoples signatures there are quotes about having limitations and some other people have quotes about no limitations. I definately prefer some limitations...keeps me focused. You can do so much of everything in software that i end up accomplishing nothing. So now i have a couple synths, drum machines and nord electro and thats the only things ill use for sound sources/playing.

And taking some time off from writing stuff to learning stuff made a huge difference too. Lot of time learning to play keyboards and messing with synths. Actually playing some keys at a gig for NYE tonight...and doing the drums on my Tempest. Should be interesting hehe.

I see this is in music computers so maybe im off base suggesting get out of the computer hehe but it made a big difference for me both in inspiration and generally enjoyability. I probably got things too fast and didnt spend enough time learning each piece best I could (thanks GAS) but i definately do not lack inspirartion.

Still havnt learned to commit to things quick enough and my production can definately use work...but its more enjoyable all around. Hope this helps in some respect
Old 31st December 2016
It doesn't matter if it's a real instrument, a midi keyboard/synth instrument, a hardware/software amp sim, a VSTi, etc...they all can take a long time finding just the right sound.

Quote:
The biggest workflow killer is currently is having all these instrument plug-ins having to go through long lists of uninspiring presets to find something usable.
And then....

Quote:
I just want to sample going forward. And by sample I mean everything. Sampling other music, films, sounds, tv shows, open drums, open string/keyboard other instrument sounds to renting hardware keyboards and sampling those.
This sounds like somewhat of a contradiction to me. You are spending too much time having to go through instrument plug ins, yet want to spend even more time doing your own sampling?

Like I said above, no matter what you use, it can take a very long time to find 'just the right sound' ... that's why I tend to just find a sound that will 'work' with what I'm trying to do. Many times I end up leaving those initial sounds. Going for the 'ultimate sound' for every little thing would take forever. In the context of a mix, it's often only subtle differences between 'ultimate' sounds, and sounds that are 'good enough'. IMO anyway. It's up to each person on how much time they're willing to waste vs getting R' done.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search