The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Nationwide Data Recovery - too good to be true or where to send my dropped Seagate?
Old 6th March 2007
Gear Nut

Nationwide Data Recovery - too good to be true or where to send my dropped Seagate?

There's a very short thread on this subject already, but I wanted to see if anyone had anything good or bad to say about this place before I send my critical data to this place:

www.nationwidedatarecovery.com

They're affordable, but can I count on them. This is my only drive - my Glyph's crashed a few weeks ago and I hadn't implemented a new backup system.
Old 6th March 2007
Lives for gear

I found a place online that were way more affrodable than that once.
I'll see if I can ifnd them again.
Old 7th March 2007
Gear Addict

It may sound affordable until you get the final quote....

I think it was them that quoted me a ridiculous amount(several thousand dollars) to save my WD raptor.

You may be better off starting over and learning the backup lesson most of us have been thru.
Old 7th March 2007
Lives for gear

I haven't used their services, but if they do good work then $499 is a very reasonable price. I have seen people charged up to $2700 for a full drive recovery, without any guarantee of how successful the data recovery might be (partially in one case I am familiar with). This is usually a fixed rate type of job, so I would dig into this outfit's previous customer satisfaction ratings ... and if you like what you find I'd say go for it.
Old 7th March 2007
Lives for gear

Cool

www.drivesavers.com They come 'highly' recommended.

Rob G..
Old 7th March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncjames View Post
There's a very short thread on this subject already, but I wanted to see if anyone had anything good or bad to say about this place before I send my critical data to this place:

www.nationwidedatarecovery.com

They're affordable, but can I count on them. This is my only drive - my Glyph's crashed a few weeks ago and I hadn't implemented a new backup system.
Do the drives not spn at all?
What's the problem?
Old 8th March 2007
Gear Nut

uhh... Data recovery is EXPENSIVE! I would not trust ANYONE who claims to have access to proper cleanroom facilities and real expert hardware repair for $499. I have used ACR Data Recovery in the past - their service was excellent, their technicians kept me in the loop constantly (which did a lot to allay my fears), and the end result was complete recovery of my 300 GB drive. The firmware crapped out in the drive and it required cleanroom dissassembly and repair. Friggin Maxtor. In fact, they were able to recover over 500 GB of data from this drive - files that had been deleted and written over again and again.... It did cost $2000, but given the fact that our optical backups were corrupted and 4 open projects were on that drive, it was a bargain. Call Cheryl over there and talk to her. RAID 5 all the way for backups now. THere's plenty of info on the subject of the net. Think about how many moving parts are inside that thing. Look up what an "air bearing" is, and you will see how complex and delicate these things are. Its pretty impressive that they work at all, really. If the data is important, don't trust anyone but the best, and 'cheap' is not something you should look for in this pursuit. YMMV.

BTW - most professional data recovery services will not charge you for the recovery phase if the data that is recolverable is not useful to you - they should charge a small fee ($100) to diagnose the drive. Then they will send you a list of files that are recoverable. At that point you pay, they recover, and if the data returned to you is not useful, make your case - if they are truly professional, they will refund your money.
Old 14th March 2007
Here for the gear

Look for more option. One more data recovery company, Stellar Information.
Call to the tech support on toll free no and discuss your matter with.
See how much they charge you for the recovery.
For more information visit: Stellar - Hard Disk Data Recovery Services
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

$1K+ is not out of line for a disassemble of HD in a clean room, rebuild the HD and extract data off of it. But you'll only spend it once, then you will be fastidious about having recent, viable backup procedures. We used a company that fixed one of our tour managers MBP HD's that died on tour, we needed the info on the drive they saved us!

http://www.salvagedata.com/
http://www.24hourdata.com/
http://www.drivesaversdatarecovery.com/
http://www.datarecovery.net/

There are a few reputable companies, a couple are just down the road from me.

Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app so please forgive any bad auto-correct. I'll try to fix it in the mix later!
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

I'd be a bit skeptical about reviews being done by several posters, all registered on the same day as the original post, with only 1 post each, all on the same thread. Suspicious? Definitely.
Old 21st October 2012
Lives for gear

The drive recovery business is also known as EXTORTION. Guess what, most of these places use COMMERCIAL applications that you can buy yourself for $50~200. Or you can even try some shareware/freeware that most of the times works just as well. Google is your friend.

P.S. Isn't it funny that all the people shilling for one of these companies in this thread only have ONE post on GS?
Old 22nd October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in SoCal View Post
The drive recovery business is also known as EXTORTION.

P.S. Isn't it funny that all the people shilling for one of these companies in this thread only have ONE post on GS?
lol, that's a good one...
Old 22nd October 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in SoCal View Post
The drive recovery business is also known as EXTORTION. Guess what, most of these places use COMMERCIAL applications that you can buy yourself for $50~200. Or you can even try some shareware/freeware that most of the times works just as well. Google is your friend.

The shilling thing is kind of obvious yes...damagingly for the company concerned!

As for drive recovery, kind of depends. I'm guessing that a lot of companies get requests for recovery that are a simple software fix, and the more unscrupulous ones still charge the full rate. Kind of like a mechanic who quotes for the job, finds it a quick fix, but still charges the full labour rate.

If you have a drive which won't actually spin, and it DOES require disassembly in a clean room, and so on, I don't think it's a rip-off at all.

At the end of the day, it's like paying an expediency fee - you shouldn't need to if you've done your own data backups, but it's nice to know it's there should you have need.
Old 16th January 2013
Here for the gear

Don't waste your time with those guys. I tried them because of the price. My drive just started clicking at random then just stopped. Never dropped and rarely used. They said it needed new heads and charged me for a donor drive.
Then told me the data was corrupt and could not be recovered. After that a friend of mine that works in, let just say law enforcement, took it in and said the drive appeared to have never been opened. May the heads got replaced, may be not. And guess what, they got most of my data back. Good thing nothing criminal was on it (LOL).
Old 16th January 2013
Gear Addict

We used to put failing drives in the freezer overnight in a static bag and then quickly dump them into a usb enclosure the next day and salvage what we could. Worked more times than you'd think. These were heavily used server storage.
Old 16th January 2013
Here for the gear

I was told the same thing by the person that recovered my data. It was confirmed that Nationwide Data Recovery did not open the drive. I got ripped off. It was a controller card failure. The guy had an extra one around and used it to get all my data off and on to another drive. Also in addition to the freezer, I was also told that if a drive got wet or was in water, put it in some rice and it will absorb the moisture. Good to know and to try first before sending it out. Thanks!!
Old 12th February 2013
Lives for gear

SERIOUSLY!!! What is wrong with the drive? Someone asked but the OP never replied. I had a drive that I thought was a goner and long story short.....I put it into an external casing and I purchased this extracting program....Data recovery tool for Windows 8, 7, Vista, Server 2003/2008, XP, 2000 and NT

and it worked fantstically! So try something cheap like this before you go spending serious $$$$$ on data services.

Good luck,

fb
Old 13th February 2013
Here for the gear

There are horror stories all over the place. A lot of scammers out there, playing on hearts of people wanting their data back. Go to ripoffreport.com and search data recovery. May be it's just me, but sounds like everyone using a recover service got told the simular story's platter damage, head damage, etc. I fell for the same thing. A friend of mine that work for a FED agency got my data back on his lunch break. The drive was never opened. So no heads where replaced nor was there any damage to the platter. All he did was swap the PCB from an old drive of the same model. I contacted the company and told them the story. I guess the fact that I said "a friend in law enforcement recovered it" must have scared them into giving me a full refund + shipping charges.

If the drive was well cared for and never dropped, it may just be something simple as the PCB. But if you don't know you don't know, if you follow what I mean. Do a lot of research. Everybody that claims to recover data can't. There only only a very few reputable recovery services out there. There can be pricey. With that being said, I bought 2 extra external drives for backing up files. It is much cheaper than the hundreds or thousands you will pay later or the extra headaches for that matter.

Best to You
Old 13th February 2013
Here for the gear

I went with werecoverdata.com a year and a half ago after losing an entire album. It was a pretty vicious drop but they got my entire hard drive back. It took 4 weeks and basically bankrupted me, but if its that important, I'd trust them again. They're really helpful on the phone, too.
Old 13th February 2013
Old thread but I removed all the spam/shill posts anyway. Don't ever hesitate to report them in the future, anywhere on the forum!

Anyway, I had a data emergency last year that Disk Drill Pro took care of. Had a CF card out of a Sound Devices recorder that wouldn't mount but DD could see it and it got the WAVs off of it. So sometimes DIY solutions work too, but heed the advice in this thread - there are a lot of data recovery scammers out there.
Old 16th February 2013
Here for the gear

I was happy

I was happy. I used them last June when my Passport USB drive failed. They told me they had a 100% satisfaction guarantee. I paid the parts drive and they recovered my data. I think their secret to low prices is not losing money on parts if there is no recovery. I searched all over the internet and everyone wanted too much for data recovery.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search