The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
iZotope RX5 vs. Acon Digital Restoration Suite
Old 28th December 2016
Gear Addict

iZotope RX5 vs. Acon Digital Restoration Suite

I used to have TC power core's restoration plugins but sold the system. I only use de-noise occasionally and don't want to spend too much money. How does the $69 Izotope RX6 compete with the more expensive $100 Acon Digital Restoration Suite? Are they in a different leagues? How are their supports?

I also had the light version of Peak soundsoap for few years. It works great for simple quick background noise reduction. Unfortunately I bought their final sale (some harmony or pitch plugins…. can't remember exactly) when they knew they will be out of business. I'd consider them again (new company Soundness) if they didn't play the game.

Thanks!
Old 28th December 2016
Lives for gear
Hard to say, what will be better choice for you. It's simply necessary to try both in your situation and spend some time with comparison.

RX 6 complete isn't any product.. There's RX 5 Audio Editor - standard 249$ and advanced 750$.
69$ RX 5 Plug-in Pack is stripped down version without standalone software, spectral editing, normal denoiser etc. It has only four essential modules incl. dialog denoiser, which is different from the one in full RX package, it's more lightweight with CPU consumption, but also much less effective for processing of more difficult sources.. To me, its more like multi-band expander.

With Acon suite, you'll get all of their restoration tools with all of its features, there is only one package.. I'd say, it has the best price/value ratio. With regards to its denoiser, it's closer to full blown iZotope denioser than the one in 69$ package. De-clipper is also good.
In direct comparison, full iZotope denoiser is generally better to me (you can do get more natural results with moderate amount of noise reduction), but it doesn't mean Acon is bad or even unusable.. It's much better than some of other older options, I've tested (like Waves). All of that is material dependent and that's why I've started, you have to do proper test by yourself and then evaluate, if more expensive package is worthwhile for you.
On the other hand, with RX Editor, you'll get also spectral editing, which can be indispensable in certain situations, this alone might be the compelling reason to spend 250$ for that. Watch some RX videos at youtube about that.

Michal

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search