The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
25 Year Mac User Switching to Windows 10 DAW Software
Old 26th December 2016
  #1
Lives for gear
25 Year Mac User Switching to Windows 10

Well, after 25 years as a loyal Mac user, I am leaving. I think the Mac experience is heading downhill, the ecosystem is not what it once was. I sold my Macbook Pro and bought a Microsoft Surface Book about 6 months ago and love it.

So, it is now time to offload the 27" iMac Retina and take the leap fully into Windows, which means moving all my music software and plugins to Windows.

All of my software licenses can be used on Windows or Mac so all good there, but I would be interested to hear from anyone else who has done this, and more importantly what to look out for or what to be aware of in transitioning?
Old 26th December 2016
  #2
Motown legend
 
Bob Olhsson's Avatar
 

Protoolspc.com
Old 26th December 2016
  #3
Lives for gear
I moved too long ago to be of much help (1997) but one thing I noticed through the years is that most DAW software is pretty much the same regardless of platform. Pro Tools is Pro Tools and Cubase is Cubase etc. once you open the program. The only real difference was getting used to right clicking with the mouse to access options that I was used to looking for in the pull down menu's. Other than that not much difference unless you've been using nothing but Logic for years and then you'll have to get used to a new DAW. Good luck and you'll be fine once you learn to ignore the nay sayers which thankfully are a lot less these days.
Old 26th December 2016
  #4
Lives for gear
How did you go opening projects from the Mac on the PC? Were all your plugins and settings retained? (I use Digital Performer by the way)
Old 26th December 2016
  #5
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by geartragic View Post
How did you go opening projects from the Mac on the PC? Were all your plugins and settings retained? (I use Digital Performer by the way)
Since it was the 1990's when I switched Audio was just getting decent on computers so I didn't have much, but midi was easily transfered. Although there is now DP didn't exist on Windows yet so I started over with Cakewalk which eventually became Sonar which I still use. I also used Pro Tools M-Powered for a while and Nuendo. Anyway you should be fine with DP on Windows but I'm not sure about plugins crossing platforms or even projects. You might wan't to contact DP tech support on that.
Old 26th December 2016
  #6
Lives for gear
Coolio thanks.
Old 26th December 2016
  #7
Deleted User
Guest
The issue with any Mac to PC plugins is that there is no AU support on a PC. So if you've been using AU in your DP projects, the settings will not translate to PC. When DP went PC, they implemented VST on both Mac and PC. So if you transitioned to VST, no problem. The DP native MAS plugs are also cross platform. Also you should update any projects that may have SD2 files to WAV or need the file extensions (.dpdoc and whatever else). I believe that if you open any of your old sessions on the Mac in DP8.07 or better it will do all of the file conversions and add the needed file extensions. Check it out first, it's been a while since I've done that. MOTU tech support is great and they're always happy to answer any questions.
Old 26th December 2016
  #8
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucks View Post
The issue with any Mac to PC plugins is that there is no AU support on a PC. So if you've been using AU in your DP projects, the settings will not translate to PC. When DP went PC, they implemented VST on both Mac and PC. So if you transitioned to VST, no problem. The DP native MAS plugs are also cross platform. Also you should update any projects that may have SD2 files to WAV or need the file extensions (.dpdoc and whatever else). I believe that if you open any of your old sessions on the Mac in DP8.07 or better it will do all of the file conversions and add the needed file extensions. Check it out first, it's been a while since I've done that. MOTU tech support is great and they're always happy to answer any questions.
Thank you so much for that info, I will ensure I switch all projects to VST first!
Old 26th December 2016
  #9
P99
Gear Maniac
 

Perhaps it would be wise to keep one apple product to allow you access if you need it down the road...
Old 26th December 2016
  #10
Lives for gear
 
ChrisLudwig's Avatar
 

HI,
What p99 said is a good idea. keep one of the MACS around to deal with legacy old projects. Switching the plugins to VST from AU or other formats works usually if the build versions are not too different but if the plugins on the MAC are older versions and you have to install the newer version of a plugins on the PC things can get iffy.
If it juts Digital performer plugins you are using then it should be fine. It is mostly the 3rd party plugins you have to worry about.

Chris
Old 26th December 2016
  #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by geartragic View Post
So, it is now time to offload the 27" iMac Retina and take the leap fully into Windows, which means moving all my music software and plugins to Windows.
Why not just run Bootcamp on the iMac?
Old 26th December 2016
  #12
Deleted User
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by jweisbin View Post
Why not just run Bootcamp on the iMac?
If you do this, then I would suggest cloning the full current drive to an external and make sure it's bootable before continuing on with Bootcamp. Odds are you're going to have to trim down your Mac partitions or repartition to accommodate Windows. Or you could just run Windows off an external drive and see how that goes before making a complete commitment. Windows performance on the Mac is excellent since it is not a hosted environment.
Old 26th December 2016
  #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucks View Post
If you do this, then I would suggest cloning the full current drive to an external and make sure it's bootable before continuing on with Bootcamp. Odds are you're going to have to trim down your Mac partitions or repartition to accommodate Windows. Or you could just run Windows off an external drive and see how that goes before making a complete commitment. Windows performance on the Mac is excellent since it is not a hosted environment.
Bootcamp automates the process of re-partitioning, but it's still important to have a cloned backup.
Old 27th December 2016
  #14
Lives for gear
It is not a bad suggestion actually, running bootcamp allows me to switch but still have both for a while until everything is migrated properly. Cool suggestion!
Old 27th December 2016
  #15
Motown legend
 
Bob Olhsson's Avatar
 

Beware that SD2 files get hosed the moment they are transferred off a mac format drive.
Old 27th December 2016
  #16
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
Beware that SD2 files get hosed the moment they are transferred off a mac format drive.
OK thanks, duly noted.

Actually just checked all my projects, all audio files are .WAV so should be ok thankfully.
Old 27th December 2016
  #17
Lives for gear
 
djshire's Avatar
 

Old 27th December 2016
  #18
Lives for gear
Can't believe it took so long for someone to declare this! ;-)
Old 28th December 2016
  #19
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by geartragic View Post
Can't believe it took so long for someone to declare this! ;-)
Shows how times are changing, eh? Let us know how it goes.
Old 28th December 2016
  #20
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_Jezz View Post
Shows how times are changing, eh? Let us know how it goes.
My thoughts exactly! Stay tuned....
Old 28th December 2016
  #21
There was a great rant on this subject in a recent TapeOp issue.
Old 28th December 2016
  #22
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by playon View Post
There was a great rant on this subject in a recent TapeOp issue.
Any insights or summary on the move?
Old 28th December 2016
  #23
Old 28th December 2016
  #24
Old 28th December 2016
  #25
Lives for gear
Well, I decided to load everything up on my Surface Book (until I take the plunge and replace the iMac) and thankfully, every single plugin I bought gives me both Mac and Windows licences, it is just a matter of moving my iLok to the Surface Book.

My DP9 project open up no problem on the Surface, however NONE of the plugins are active, as it says they are not there. A short look into my setup of DP9 on the Mac finds the problem.....VST plugins were not active on the Mac, Audio Units were and of course the Windows version of Audio Units does not exist. So now I have to change every single plugin on the project over to a VST plugin prior to saving, and all SHOULD be well.......
Old 28th December 2016
  #26
Lives for gear
That is a good read, it confirms my own feelings about Apple and Audio, I now feel that I am making the 100% right decision I have to say.
Old 28th December 2016
  #27
Lives for gear
 
brockorama's Avatar
 

I haven't updated my win 7 i7 machine in studio since over 3 years.

I hate updating.

Still on reaper 4.7x since 1.5 years. Will get to 5.xx someday

It's just stable and fast.

Learning to do your own builds is a skillset that will never be obsolete.

Have fun in the windows world.
Old 28th December 2016
  #28
Lives for gear
 
norbury brook's Avatar
 

I think being able to use windows 7 or any other older windows OS on ANY hardware is a big advantage for windows. I personally love windows 10, but I'd be more than happy to have a windows 7 machine running my studio and keep it off grid if I was that way inclined.

Also it's very easy to be able to use very old software still on windows 10. I managed to get an old M-Audio FW410 to work with windows 10 x64 using an old x64 vista driver. Had it running S-Gear @ 96k with 1.5ms latency with the on board 4 pin FW port on my elitebook.

Factor in the fully customisable hardware choices with a windows machine as well and for me it's a winning combo for a studio.


MC
Old 28th December 2016
  #29
Lives for gear
 
stratology's Avatar
 

Wow.

The author is still not over the transitions from OS 9 to OS X, from 15 years ago.

The author blames Apple for buggy 3rd party software.

A Mac user since 1988, he still does not know how to do an OS upgrade for critical systems (hint: try testing and reading system requirements instead of a doing a blind upgrade..)

He got confused about Apple IDs - sharing one with your wife means sharing reminders, messages etc.

He thinks that deleting messaging, mail, photo apps from the Dock improves privacy (no joke..).

He tries to installs an OS that's older than the factory install on his Mac mini - against explicit advice from Apple, and one of the best ways to create issues on a Mac.



So we have an author that does not understand the most fundamental computer basics, and is doing the best he can to compromise his system.

He seems to be under the impression that he will not have to verify system requirements of software before installing it on Windows, and that after a blind upgrade everything will work just fine on Windows. Good luck with that. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Old 28th December 2016
  #30
Lives for gear
 
zephonic's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratology View Post
So we have an author that does not understand the most fundamental computer basics, and is doing the best he can to compromise his system.

He seems to be under the impression that he will not have to verify system requirements of software before installing it on Windows, and that after a blind upgrade everything will work just fine on Windows. Good luck with that.
Seems that's about the size of it. There are valid reasons to want to leave the Apple ecosystem, but software updates are not among those, IME.

Hardware limitations are a legitimate concern, I think. And price gouging.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump