The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
DANTE Mac/PC cluster Audio Interfaces
Old 23rd December 2016
Gear Maniac

DANTE Mac/PC cluster

Hi,
I wonder how to 'push the walls' of my non-thunderbolt 2010 iMac. For example, I'm pretty interested by the UAD plugins, but can't afford a new Mac. A second hand UAD's PCIe card in a PC would be a great platform to use proprietary plugins, but I want to stay under Logic. So, maybe the Dante Via system would be worth to try. My recording setup would be : Audient iD14 > Logic on the iMac > UAD plugins on the PC > back to the iMac > Audient > monitors.
Is it realistic ? I mean, I'll probably add too much latency in the global loop... Another option would be to route the audio from the PC to the Mac.
Thx
Old 23rd December 2016
Lives for gear

Why not satellite card from uad via FireWire?
Old 23rd December 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsieur_R View Post
Why not satellite card from uad via FireWire?
Because my system now boots on an external SSD on the FW port. I'm pretty sure you can't daisy chain anything on an ext FW drive. And trying something different is just... fun (for me !).
Old 29th December 2016
Here for the gear
Hey mininoyz,

If I am not mistaken Dante Via will give you 10 ms of latency. Using a firewire satellite card may be the better option. Is there a reason why the iMac isn't booting internally? You can also have the SSD be on an USB port rather than the firewire port. But then again you may have your reasons for your current setup. I am assuming it would be a bandwidth thing.

Another solution would be getting a preowned Mac Mini or iMac for way less than retail. I have seen some great condition Mac Minis that have a Thunderbolt port and Firewire 800 port for $500 bucks depending on the seller. Definitely something to consider.
Old 29th December 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tssmastering View Post
Hey mininoyz,

If I am not mistaken Dante Via will give you 10 ms of latency. Using a firewire satellite card may be the better option. Is there a reason why the iMac isn't booting internally? You can also have the SSD be on an USB port rather than the firewire port. But then again you may have your reasons for your current setup. I am assuming it would be a bandwidth thing.

Another solution would be getting a preowned Mac Mini or iMac for way less than retail. I have seen some great condition Mac Minis that have a Thunderbolt port and Firewire 800 port for 480.72€ bucks depending on the seller. Definitely something to consider.
My iMac boots on an external SSD because I'm too lazy & reluctant to replace the old internal HD. You can't boot a Mac on a USB port, so FW is the only option (besides TB on modern machines). And there's only one FW port on my model I'll check again about the chaining of several devices on an external system disk.
Anyway, the idea to build hybrid OS clusters is exciting because we're so limited by those OS boundaries. I've tested DANTE software on my Mac and it's a truly great piece of code.
Old 31st December 2016
I don't know much about Dante, or macs so I can't add to your specific question... but I use old school synchronization with several PC's together. With the use a monitor mixer, it allows me to monitor each PC's audio at exactly the same time without any concern of latency, no matter how many PC's I have. Simple.
Old 31st December 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Hey mininoyz,

Another solution would be getting a preowned Mac Mini or iMac for way less than retail. I have seen some great condition Mac Minis that have a Thunderbolt port and Firewire 800 port for 478.33€ bucks depending on the seller. Definitely something to consider.
tssmastering where did you find this latency value ? Audinate claims sub 1ms latency for a large network.
A sub ms latency would be negligible in a 2-3 computers cluster.
Old 31st December 2016
Here for the gear
You can find the details here:

https://www.audinate.com/resources/faqs/dante-via

The latency you refer to would be when connecting Dante devices using a managed switch. This would be entirely different when using Dante Via. Dante Via will use your computer's ethernet card to pass audio similar to Dante Virtual Soundcard. When using actual Dante hardware the latency is way lower than that of Via or Dante Virtual Soundcard.
Old 31st December 2016
Here for the gear
If you are looking to have lower latency than that then you can use the Dante PCIe cards. Focusrite has one as well as Yamaha. I have used it before and it works great. Definitely a better alternative than using Avid HD cards and the price is way cheaper.
Old 31st December 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
You can find the details here:

https://www.audinate.com/resources/faqs/dante-via

The latency you refer to would be when connecting Dante devices using a managed switch. This would be entirely different when using Dante Via. Dante Via will use your computer's ethernet card to pass audio similar to Dante Virtual Soundcard. When using actual Dante hardware the latency is way lower than that of Via or Dante Virtual Soundcard.
Thanks for clarifying this point
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search