The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Made by a legend. Any good? ProAudioDSP DSM V2 Dynamics Plugins
Old 23rd February 2017
  #61
Lives for gear
 
b0se's Avatar
That's poor indeed. I was (luckily) using the AU version without knowing of this bug.
Old 23rd February 2017
  #62
Love it more than Ozone,but still(after 5 LONGEST years-that flew by-make sense?no matter)excellent Paul Frindle needs to update the Windows(VST3 only here-no Mac, PT,AU,AAX)-forgets project settings,or $229 max.

Last edited by rksguit; 24th February 2017 at 02:49 PM..
Old 23rd February 2017
  #63
Lives for gear
I still love DSM v2 as it does things no other plug in can (I use the AU and AAX versions). However, I recommend you also check out the new ML8000 multi-band limiter from McDSP. Depending on the material I am working on, it sometimes gives me more appropriate results. It's amazing.
Old 24th February 2017
  #64
Here for the gear
 
PluginAlliance's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwe View Post
A product with 'Mastering Limiter' written on the GUI isn't supposed to be used that way...?

Not fit for purpose--under UK law AFAIK they need to fix this or (failing that) offer a refund.

A disgraceful way to treat the finest product in their catalogue.
Hi folks, it was actually me that said that, and I realize now that I read it back that it sounds like a pretty lousy response, but that really wasn't what I meant. So to clarify -- using the ProTools "Audio Suite" function to print the effect is what I meant when I said it's not meant to be used that way. But of course there are other types of offline rendering, like track freeze or the offline bounce to disk function, and those methods are definitely among it's intended uses.

Sorry for not making this clearer in the first place. I will check in with the dev team to see where we are in terms of getting these issues fixed, but if you own the DSM 2 and don't want to wait for a fix, please contact support and we can do a refund or exchange.

And for those of you who mentioned problems contacting our support -- we just discovered that between February 9th and 21st, there was a technical issue on our tech support page that resulted in some support tickets not getting created. Our web team did manage to create a list of all the users whose tickets didn't go through, and we are going through them all now. So if you are one of those users, please accept our sincere apologies. You should be hearing back from us very soon! Thanks for your patience.
Old 24th February 2017
  #65
Deleted User
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by PluginAlliance View Post
Hi folks, it was actually me that said that, and I realize now that I read it back that it sounds like a pretty lousy response, but that really wasn't what I meant. So to clarify -- using the ProTools "Audio Suite" function to print the effect is what I meant when I said it's not meant to be used that way. But of course there are other types of offline rendering, like track freeze or the offline bounce to disk function, and those methods are definitely among it's intended uses.

Sorry for not making this clearer in the first place. I will check in with the dev team to see where we are in terms of getting these issues fixed, but if you own the DSM 2 and don't want to wait for a fix, please contact support and we can do a refund or exchange.

And for those of you who mentioned problems contacting our support -- we just discovered that between February 9th and 21st, there was a technical issue on our tech support page that resulted in some support tickets not getting created. Our web team did manage to create a list of all the users whose tickets didn't go through, and we are going through them all now. So if you are one of those users, please accept our sincere apologies. You should be hearing back from us very soon! Thanks for your patience.
Apologies accepted, **** happens. Now that everything is explained, good luck in fixing that bug!
Old 24th February 2017
  #66
qwe
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PluginAlliance View Post
I will check in with the dev team to see where we are in terms of getting these issues fixed
Great news. Once the bugs are fixed, I shall buy it.
Old 31st March 2017
  #67
Lives for gear
 
MusiKLover's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Found them. Had to use the VST (rather than AU) to see the drop down in the plugin insert. Cheers.
Just a quick note, b0se, and I was thinking of you specifically. I figured out how to get the AUPresets into Live:

1. In the User Library / Audio / Presets / PluginAlliance / DSM you'll find all the factory AUPresets. This is the Hidden Library, not MacHD
2. Copy all of the Presets
3. Find your Ableton User Library
4. In the AUPresets Folder, add a Folder. I called it DSM Factory Presets
5. Paste all those you copied in Step 1
6. Load the Audio Unit Version in Live 9
7. Go to your User Library in the Left Hand Sidebar, find AUPresets in the next column, and Double Click on the one you'd like to audition or use in a Production

It took a bit, but I cracked this nut. I believe this methodology should work for all AUs if the Presets are not currently available in Live 9 (for whatever reason as they do show up in Logic.) However, in this particular case having the presets is key as the AU is not having the issue cited when using either the VST or VST3 version. In fact, I generally do not keep VSTs on my main Drive given I'm on an iMac and use Logic & Live; AUs are built into macOS.
Old 1st April 2017
  #68
Lives for gear
 
b0se's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusiKLover View Post
Just a quick note, b0se, and I was thinking of you specifically. I figured out how to get the AUPresets into Live:

1. In the User Library / Audio / Presets / PluginAlliance / DSM you'll find all the factory AUPresets. This is the Hidden Library, not MacHD
2. Copy all of the Presets
3. Find your Ableton User Library
4. In the AUPresets Folder, add a Folder. I called it DSM Factory Presets
5. Paste all those you copied in Step 1
6. Load the Audio Unit Version in Live 9
7. Go to your User Library in the Left Hand Sidebar, find AUPresets in the next column, and Double Click on the one you'd like to audition or use in a Production

It took a bit, but I cracked this nut.
Amazing! Thanks very much for sharing :¬)
Old 2nd April 2017
  #69
Gear Nut
 

I've reported this bug (curve not being saved) to PA several times, starting at least 4 years ago. I'm using Windows x64 vst2. During those years, I've spent a lot of money on plugins, but not one cent with PA. I don't like their lax attitude to fixing show stopper bugs. I sadly don't use DSM except for the odd experiment because I can't rely on it in a production situation. Sad as I would like to dig deep into Paul's design. But I can't afford the c*ck-ups, literally.
Old 2nd April 2017
  #70
Lives for gear
 
MusiKLover's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by potscrubber View Post
I've reported this bug (curve not being saved) to PA several times, starting at least 4 years ago. I'm using Windows x64 vst2. During those years, I've spent a lot of money on plugins, but not one cent with PA. I don't like their lax attitude to fixing show stopper bugs. I sadly don't use DSM except for the odd experiment because I can't rely on it in a production situation. Sad as I would like to dig deep into Paul's design. But I can't afford the c*ck-ups, literally.
I understand both the VST & VST3 versions have issues, but in the meantime have you tried to save your custom curves as user presets? This works on my Mac, though in general the AU version retains the curve after saving a project. Granted you might have to save a lot of custom presets, but it should enable you to utilize Pro Audio DSP's / PA's DSM in any project.
Old 2nd April 2017
  #71
Deleted User
Guest
I've been using the AU version while waiting for a fix and it's been a pain in the ass, most of the times the curves are not stored and I always have to do presets for each session so I can reload my curves.

It's​ a doable workaround but I don't understand how they can neglect this plugin so much.
Old 20th April 2017
  #72
Deleted User
Guest
They had this on sale last week or so. How can they put on sale a product they know it's defective it's beyond my comprehension.

I'm probably going and try to go to an old version or something, working with the AU is a pain on the ass and Plugin Alliance is clearly not interested in fixing the plugin.

AU is also broken. Everytime I reopen the session I get a new response out of it, even though the settings remain the same.

To summarise, all formats of DSM are not working properly.

Last edited by miguelmarques; 20th April 2017 at 12:24 PM..
Old 20th April 2017
  #73
Deleted User
Guest
Can anyone do the following test?

Create a new session, insert a mix, load a preset on DSM and do a render (offline or online).

Save, close session/DAW, open DAW again, do new render without changing anything. (Just remember to see if the curve is applied, otherwise reload the same preset).

Try and null both files.

Last edited by miguelmarques; 20th April 2017 at 04:22 PM..
Old 22nd April 2017
  #74
Deleted User
Guest
Quick update.

I've been experimenting heavily these last two days and I think I managed to get consistent results with DSM. I obviously need more tests but maybe there's hope.

I have all my custom curves as presets and I'm thinking that this is what might be broken, somehow.

So I've exported all my custom curves from my presets to external .crv files and instead of loading the preset I just load the curve I want, set the parameters, and it seems to work fine so far.

Right now it feels like the curve in the presets isn't consistently recalled and that's why I get different outcomes everytime I load it.

That would explain the differences also between formats. That could be the reason the VST doesn't null with the VST3 and AU, maybe it's the plugin that's loading the preset with slightly different curves each time. I'm saying because in all my tests I was loading the presets as comparison points.

Further testing is obviously needed, I already report this to Plugin Alliance, but I'm hopeful about this.

Last edited by miguelmarques; 22nd April 2017 at 12:25 PM..
Old 22nd April 2017
  #75
Quote:
Originally Posted by rksguit View Post
Love it more than Ozone,but still(after 5 LONGEST years-that flew by-make sense?no matter)excellent Paul Frindle needs to update the Windows(VST3 only here-no Mac, PT,AU,AAX)-forgets project settings,or $229 max.
1 guy in the whole Universe liked,(Thanks blamejake....brother?"My Brother Jake"-FREE)for preferring it to Ozone-ok $29 max?it's unroil ( *unreal*strayan accent) quoting ones self.

5 services's only native instruments ancient advice for TRAKTOR W7p.

was on their site perhaps not anymore,just fixed things for me

How to boot Windows 7 with the minimum required processes for running Traktor:
Launch the System Configuration utility by clicking Start -> typing "msconfig" and pressing Enter
On the Services tab, make sure that Hide all Microsoft services is NOT checked, then click Disable All. The list will become longer so it's a good idea to click Service above the first column so it sorts alphabetically.
Now re-enable only the 5 required services, which are:

Multimedia Class Scheduler
NIHardwareService
Power
Windows Audio
Windows Audio Endpoint Builder
On the Startup tab, enable the Disable All option and then click OK.
When prompted click Restart to reboot your computer. ENJOY!


How to resume normal functionality of your computer:
Relaunch the System Configuration utility by clicking Start -> typing "msconfig" and pressing Enter.
Stay on the General tab and enable the Normal startup option then click OK and Reboot.

Last edited by rksguit; 23rd April 2017 at 04:42 AM.. Reason: cultural hard core oz stuff from a crazed one is non understandable
Old 22nd April 2017
  #76
qwe
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rksguit View Post
Last edited by rksguit; 2 hours ago at 12:54 PM.. Reason: grammar,usual
Old 22nd April 2017
  #77
Heb
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by rksguit View Post
1 guy in the whole Universe liked,(Thanks blamejake....brother?)for preferring it to Ozone-ok $29 max?it's unroil (strayan accent) quoting ones self.

5 services's only native instruments ancient advice for TRAKTOR W7p.DSM V2 remembered my 60 or so .crv's,sonar platinum today-mega basic guitar only Ampli4 clean JCM setting(must have modeled mine when.....?) Boss DS-1 setup not many projects yet(NO,it IS PROJECT's-plural,it's just,it's eventually going to become a TEMPLATE NOW I can reliably get remembered settings EVERY opening of)Also for practicing DSM always on Master,just so my new neighbour,won't flip at the JCM 2203 that's so clean after full overhaul(EL -34's)pre old 6.5-8 and since just stoopid LOUD,MASTER right on 2,did I mention it was really f'in loud? full overhaul 07.

Anyway after 6 years with computer-5TB lost on 2WD cheapie USB 3.0 externalsgotta laugh what else can...?,same 6-never ever lurked,couldn't be(etiquette,and conformity has ALWAYS been idiot human/chimp like to me.....,just 200 whatever's ahead of my time?,though my time....again y-)is, and GS my mixing

Electric Guitar playing I mean was 2 years for "Top band mate"......but guitar,and learning,was always obvious that learning never ever stops.

Sound engineering,material no progress? No,that's just not on,when I was constantly praised for my "guitar sound" pre tinnitus?
This riddled with bloat still-(just to be on the new NBN here)*factory*refurb w540(military spec- hmmm yeah?)not with bloat for the new nbn,still very new,did I?..........

Ahh Yep Ahem Thank You very much,Thank you very much,You've been a great audience.
???
Old 22nd April 2017
  #78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heb View Post
???
obviously
Old 22nd April 2017
  #79
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwe View Post
Yeah we get it
Old 24th April 2017
  #80
I've been using DSM v2 a lot over the past several days, I bought it a while ago but hadn't had time to explore it in earnest. I'm on a Mac 10.10 running Logic X and using AU, absolutely no problems saving and recalling presets and no inconsistent results.

I bought it because I needed exactly the application that Paul Frindle has emphasized it excels at, responding gracefully to very complex program material. My first project with it has been trying to increase the apparent energy level on an extremely dynamic full spectrum classical Quintet recording that defies compression. Piano, cello, bass clarinet (so it's really freaking dense in the bottom) and flute and violin with lots of scrapes, snap pizzicatos, shrill high frequency bursts. I wanted to try to inflate it a bit, to make the dense parts seem bigger and fatter, and to smooth out some of the high freq harshness. I have to say DSM handles this Quintet like a champ, it behaves extremely well no matter how hard I hit it, I'm pretty amazed.

I'm new at this plugin but one thing I'm noticing is that changing the time constants is a very subtle effect, probably cause it's so adaptive, but it seems to work equally well with a wide range of attack and release times. I found with a slower release it inflates things pretty well though, holding the buildup of sound a bit before easing it down. That was exactly the fleshing out I wanted. And then with the High freq release slider you can still get the percussive stuff to snap, seriously, how awesome is that?

I went a little overboard with the loudness enhancing, I found I could compress the dynamic range to where the low level stuff was brought up to a very present level indeed and yet it still seemed dynamic, the transients are intact. I thought, wow, that's about as much loudness enhancing without any objectionable destruction as you could ever ask for, but then I realized going that far was a mistake. PP no longer sounded like PP. But it's kind of amazing to know you could bring the levels that much closer together and have it still sound musical and dynamic.

Anyway, I think I'm going to be using this thing a lot.
Old 10th January 2018
  #81
Here for the gear
 

Bugs fixed?

Hi...looking at getting this for use with cubase 9.5 on windows...just wondering if the bugs/issues with his plug were resolved?
Old 10th January 2018
  #82
Lives for gear
 
mutetourettes's Avatar
 

same here looking to get this in the sale, for use on windows..

bugs fixed? any windows users still using this thing?
Old 15th January 2018
  #83
Lives for gear
 
mutetourettes's Avatar
 

or should we just get Mspectraldynamics which as far as I know there are no issues with?
Old 15th January 2018
  #84
Lives for gear
 
b0se's Avatar
Have you contacted them via official support channels?
Old 15th January 2018
  #85
Lives for gear
 
BM Grabber's Avatar
 

Working fine here in Cubase and Studio One on windows 10....... as ALL PA plugins
Old 15th January 2018
  #86
I would still think trying to reach someone there ought to be the first step? Working bo problem on Mac 10.10 with Logic and Ableton. Great plug! Really hope they keep this current, wouldn't want to be without it 5 yrs from now.
Old 17th January 2018
  #87
Gear Maniac
 
ChrisNunchuck's Avatar
working great in cubase 8.5 and windows 7. Haven't tried it on c9.5 yet.
Old 21st January 2018
  #88
Lives for gear
 
mutetourettes's Avatar
 

have taken a punt on it - price comes down to $69 if you add bx_tuner... we'll see how it goes... actually i'm very much looking forward to using it!
Old 21st January 2018
  #89
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutetourettes View Post
or should we just get Mspectraldynamics which as far as I know there are no issues with?
Definitely not the same. Not a bad plugin, but not a replacement for DSMv2.
Old 24th January 2018
  #90
Gear Maniac
 

thinking about picking this one up, but before doing so, any bug issues with vst2 and presets, bouncing offline etc. (running w7 + ableton live v9 + sadie v6)?
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump