The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mapping midi files for multiple drum libraries Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 21st December 2016
Lives for gear
Mapping midi files for multiple drum libraries

Say i want to make some of my drum midi compatible with multiple
drum libraries like Superior, BFD, Battery, etc..

Is there an easier way than hunting down the maps each program and manually editing each midi file to fit each library?
Would i need to own all these libraries to accomplish this?

Any info greatly appreciated.

J
Old 21st December 2016
Lives for gear
I would use the drum brain as the map. Make all the software map the the brains default. BFD has that built in for many brains, I don't know about the others.

No easy solution. But the first step is to document your map so that you can track how each software relates.
Old 21st December 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by elegentdrum View Post
I would use the drum brain as the map. Make all the software map the the brains default. BFD has that built in for many brains, I don't know about the others.

No easy solution. But the first step is to document your map so that you can track how each software relates.
Thank you for the fast response, and solid info. I had not thought of starting at the drum brain itself.

But it sounds like i would need to own all these programs to understand
how each file will sound through them. Thats a bigger can of worms than i wanted to open.
Old 21st December 2016
I've narrow my drum VSTi's down to mostly using Superior these days, so it makes things a little easier as far as maps go. I used to start with my drum module/brains mapping, but I had eventually decided I would use Superiors mapping, for a more than one reason... because my drum modules have many programmable 'custom user kit's' available, and the fact that I'm using 4 drum brain/modules tied together, with 40+ triggers. This makes the drum modules programming more complicated, even using them by themselves without a drum VSTi.

Basically, I choose something like 'custom user kit' in all four of my drum brain/modules. As expected, module one would be very predictable, that is kick would be kick, snare would be snare etc...but with a multiple module set up and a high trigger count, those additional trigger pads can be literally anything, rather than what that trigger input is labeled as by default....meaning a cymbal pad or a tom pad could be needed as a china, a cow bell, or 'whatever'.
In Superior Drummer, some of the drum kits are massive, especially when you click to expand some blanked out toms or cymbals. THEN a lot of the kit pieces (drums & especially the cymbals) have several sounds to each of them (tom center/rim and a cymbals edge, bow, bell etc). In my case with a 4 module/40+ trigger eKit, it makes far more sense to assign all my drum modules to the VSTi, using one of the custom user kit numbers to match Superior Drummers mapping. Toontrack's mapping in general with Superior Drummer & EZDrummer seem to be the same.

But either using the drum module or the drum VSTi's mapping will work fine, it really depends on your own preference IMO... I used to subscribe to/use the drum modules mapping in the past. But I have plenty of user kits that can be utilized in my modules. If I was to use the old version of Addictive drums...which it's mapping is/was just f-ing STUPID, I'd just use/assign another one of my drum modules user kits.

As far as using a drum VSTi's pre-made midi drum parts, they're great for quickly adding a drum part during the song creation process. Much harder to find just the right rhythms if you plan to use only that...I've done both. It's a real bitch to spend hours sifting through so many midi files to see what works, so I try to just pick out basic beats that work and get on with writing & recording the song. In my last song "This Time" I quickly found a basic beat in my midi library with little variation, finished the song's outline to near complete, and just 'played' my eKit for about 4 practice runs, then hit midi record in Cubase (hit or miss), then spent some sessions correcting, adding, subtracting hits etc.

As far as creating my OWN midi library, I don't feel the need to do that. I'd rather play drums for each song as I feel it needs this or that. As I said, initially, I'll use the midi drum libraries I have as song starters.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search