The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Housekeeping - VSTs on MacBook Pro
Old 20th December 2016
Lives for gear

Housekeeping - VSTs on MacBook Pro

Hi All

I'm eighteen months into owning a MacBook Pro as my primary DAW machine (I use Cubase 9) and I've never been happier.

However, as with all eager owners, when I first got my Mac I literally installed everything I've ever owned VST-wise, and 18 months down the line, there are loads of VSTs and plug-ins I'll probably never use, so to free up space and make sure I'm optimised for best start-up/performance, I'd like to remove a few VSTs that I've installed.

However, I'm finding myself a little lost, as unlike PCs, there are no uninstall files, or easy ways to sweep and get rid of unwanted plug ins.

I know there are a millenia of guides to rid your machine of unwanted software online, but I thought I'd ask the trusted GS forum as to how you find the best way to delete unwanted plug-ins and VSTs in a thorough manner?

I'm using Cubase 9.
Old 20th December 2016
Lives for gear

The VSTs are in the folders /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST and /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST3. You can simple delete all the VSTs you don't need.

But - don't expect any real increase in performance or free space from that...
Old 21st December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratology View Post
The VSTs are in the folders /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST and /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST3. You can simple delete all the VSTs you don't need.

But - don't expect any real increase in performance or free space from that...
Thanks, man. It's more just clearing them all out. OCD-style.
Old 21st December 2016
Gear Nut

You may not know this if you just got a mac recently but unlike windows OS Mac actually has a working search function! (How many years has it been microsoft?) That would be my first step for future file maintenance
Old 21st December 2016
Lives for gear

Depending on the era a plugin was last packed into its installer, you're going to have at least 3-4 locations with associated files (including the components/vat folders). Personally, when I want a clean system I backup my old drive to an external using superduper or CarbonCopyCloner and do a fresh install. Good time for an SSD swap if you're still on a regular drive too..

Lastly, don't use migration assistant if you want a clean install. The old drive backed up to the external can be booted to if necessary, and if not still houses all your old stuff.
Old 21st December 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by valis View Post
Depending on the era a plugin was last packed into its installer, you're going to have at least 3-4 locations with associated files (including the components/vat folders). Personally, when I want a clean system I backup my old drive to an external using superduper or CarbonCopyCloner and do a fresh install. Good time for an SSD swap if you're still on a regular drive too..

Lastly, don't use migration assistant if you want a clean install. The old drive backed up to the external can be booted to if necessary, and if not still houses all your old stuff.
Good suggestions
Many applications, including audio plugins, use more than one locations to place their files. Unfortunately MacOS does not have a real system uninstaller. So, there is a big chance you will miss something, while trying to remove unnecessary applications.
Personally I use CleanMyMac app, which while not perfect, helps a lot to keep the system clean without a need to reinstall the whole system.
Old 21st December 2016
Lives for gear

No.
Using a 3rd party cloning tool instead of the regular macOS installer, running 'cleaner' apps and similar utilities that don't let you control exactly what you're doing, are two of the best ways to end up with a system that does not work properly, and shows odd issues over time. But - you can always blame Apple for releasing a 'crappy' OS.

macOS is designed to be maintenance free.
Old 21st December 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutilatedlip View Post
Thanks, man. It's more just clearing them all out. OCD-style.
Can you organize your plugins in folders in Cubase? In Reaper you can create folders in your plugin drop down list and drag and drop them - it helps organize the clutter - I put all my best EQ's in one folder, compressors in another etc. That way your never scrolling through the entire list when adding a plugin to a track.
Old 21st December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverb View Post
Can you organize your plugins in folders in Cubase? In Reaper you can create folders in your plugin drop down list and drag and drop them - it helps organize the clutter - I put all my best EQ's in one folder, compressors in another etc. That way your never scrolling through the entire list when adding a plugin to a track.

Same in Digital Performer. You can enable/disable AUs and VSTs, and organise them in folders (in the menu in the mixing board) and all kinds of folders and groups in the Plugin manager.

This has nothing to do with the actual plug-ins in L/Audio/Plug-Ins, it's just a handy organisational scheme in the DAW.
Old 22nd December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratology View Post
Same in Digital Performer. You can enable/disable AUs and VSTs, and organise them in folders (in the menu in the mixing board) and all kinds of folders and groups in the Plugin manager.

This has nothing to do with the actual plug-ins in L/Audio/Plug-Ins, it's just a handy organisational scheme in the DAW.
Yes. Cubase 9 has a renewed Plug-In tool which is much, much better.

Seeing how many I had that I didn't use actually led to that.

Thanks for all the feedback.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search