The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Widows 10 backup workflows Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 19th December 2016
Widows 10 backup workflows

Hey Y'all:

My current workflow is me following and engineer who has much to learn regarding using a DAW in such a way that someone else can take over a project but I digress.

I have a 240GB SS drive we work from and I ran a SATA cable and PS cable outside the box so I can hook in any one of three 1TB spindle drives outside the box.

I keep all my Cubase 8.5 Pro project file files and audio files in a directory WIP2016 on the SS drive.

At the end of the day after everyone is gone I go to the spindle drive and rename previously backed up WIP2016 to WIP2016-DELETE.

Then I copy the entire WIP2016 from the 240GB SS drive to the spindle drive.

When this is complete I delete the old WIP2016-DELETE.

I delete and make a fresh copy because dragging the ss directory over the spindle directory does not copy everything, especially if I do not replace all duplicate files with the new files, in my experience. ....in my experience this becomes a mess.

Can anyone offer a better way to go about this or perhaps inform me of some software that takes care of it for me.......or something already in Win10 or CB8.5?

Thanks in advance.
Old 19th December 2016
Lives for gear

HI,
Most of the backup programs incremental and or differential file and folder backup functions that can be run a schedule, daily, weekly , etc. Usually have the option to shut down the system after the backup as well.
You can setup script to run manually at the end of the night or set it to a time schedule.
The latest versions of Acronis True Image and Paragon backup and Recovery both do this.
Other backup programs probably do as well.
https://www.paragon-software.com/home/brh/
The Best Backup Software - Acronis True Image 2017

I use Paragon to do an incremental backup of both my OS drive and project drive on a nightly basis. The backup is setup to do one full backup a week and then do 6 incremental than it recycles the full backup and starts over. So there is always 1 week daily backups available. I do backup finished projects in Cubase to a drive manually and to cloud. For finish projects I use Cubase's project backup option which will clean up and remove any reference to unused parts and audio files. This will make the backup project a lot smaller so easier to archive.

Thanks Chris
Old 20th December 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by philsaudio View Post
Hey Y'all:

My current workflow is me following and engineer who has much to learn regarding using a DAW in such a way that someone else can take over a project but I digress.

I have a 240GB SS drive we work from and I ran a SATA cable and PS cable outside the box so I can hook in any one of three 1TB spindle drives outside the box.

I keep all my Cubase 8.5 Pro project file files and audio files in a directory WIP2016 on the SS drive.

At the end of the day after everyone is gone I go to the spindle drive and rename previously backed up WIP2016 to WIP2016-DELETE.

Then I copy the entire WIP2016 from the 240GB SS drive to the spindle drive.

When this is complete I delete the old WIP2016-DELETE.

I delete and make a fresh copy because dragging the ss directory over the spindle directory does not copy everything, especially if I do not replace all duplicate files with the new files, in my experience. ....in my experience this becomes a mess.

Can anyone offer a better way to go about this or perhaps inform me of some software that takes care of it for me.......or something already in Win10 or CB8.5?

Thanks in advance.
I would use a different SSD or HDD for projects. Use a 3rd drive for backups. Use a network or external drive for backup-backups.
You can do it manually or automated like Chris suggested, or hybrid.
I do it similar to Chris, i.e. automated backups and partially manually to different locations.

If you are making your living off a workstation, I'd have a weekly copy in a different location (home, personal cloud space) in the case of fire or burglary.
Old 20th December 2016
I have been using this: Genie9 (Formerly Genie-soft) | Backup, Restore & Disaster Recovery Solutions for Windows
They have a home and a pro and even an online option. it is the closest thing i have found to a TimeMachine backup solution for PC like the mac one.
It does incremental and can do . a full restore. and you can even set it up for whatever time you want. 15 mins 1hr 2 hr each day.. etc.. and can restore not only the whole system but also individual files and folder from those times.
Old 21st December 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjadams View Post
I have been using this: Genie9 (Formerly Genie-soft) | Backup, Restore & Disaster Recovery Solutions for Windows
They have a home and a pro and even an online option. it is the closest thing i have found to a TimeMachine backup solution for PC like the mac one.
It does incremental and can do . a full restore. and you can even set it up for whatever time you want. 15 mins 1hr 2 hr each day.. etc.. and can restore not only the whole system but also individual files and folder from those times.
Hmmmm. I do like the time machine on my Macbook Pro.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search