The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mastering Plugins? Enhancer Plugins
Old 19th December 2016
Here for the gear

Mastering Plugins?

Hey folks,

Setup: Echo Layla 3G audio interface. Electronic Drum kit over midi to the interface with Addictive Drums VST. Guitars directly plugged into interface (no equipment in between) with Guitar Rig VST. Mics directly plugged into interface on the pre-amp channels. Reaper DAW.

I'm trying to get my recordings to sound good, but they just don't. Compare it to a professionally recorded song, and we practically sound like a tape recorder. Not quite as bad, but in that direction. Drums actually sound decent, but guitars are often a little muddy, with almost no pop or drive. I'm assuming that this is where mastering and some EQ'ing comes in to fix this. I've tried messing with this and reading about it, but I don't have the background in music production to pull this off.

I don't need it to sound amazing, but I'd like it to sound decent. I'm wondering if there exists any plugins that can post process your tracks and provide common fixes and improvements to produce a decent rendering? I'm probably asking too much, but does anyone know if this exists and if so, ones that are simple to use and do a decent job?

Thanks
Old 19th December 2016
Gear Addict
One of the online mastering services might get you closer to where you want to be, but it's hard to say. Commercial mixes are the result of tens of not hundreds of hours of production, recording, mixing and mastering. Just google online mastering.
Old 19th December 2016
Here for the gear

Did not know they existed. Thanks for pointing me in that direction! I tried LandR and no doubt it improved the track..arguably significantly. Perfect for a home hobbyist. Plus exactly what I was looking for...essentially single click processing. I'll probably get the basic subscription, unless there's a free solution or a similarly priced competitor that people recommend over LandR?
Old 21st December 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsmithGS View Post
I'll probably get the basic subscription, unless there's a free solution or a similarly priced competitor that people recommend over LandR?
I'm not sure if there are any free alternatives. You might get better results messing around with some compression and peak limiting on your master bus.

As far as muddy guitars go, try starting from the source. How are your pickups? Are you recording with fresh strings on your guitar? These are all seemingly little nuances that add up and make a huge difference to the quality of your sound right off the bat.
Old 21st December 2016
Gear Guru
If you PM me I'll tell you who I use for affordable mastering. Been very helpful and I'd advise finding someone you can work with. I use Vertigo VSM-3 for a quick tone shape that fits my stule of music. Will probably go on sale soon. There are other really good options.
Old 21st December 2016
Gear Maniac
Try Izotope Elements demo.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search