The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Yamaha P-115 (Digital Piano) Velocity Issues in Kontakt!
Old 16th December 2016
Gear Head

Yamaha P-115 (Digital Piano) Velocity Issues in Kontakt!

Help!

Scenario:

I load up Albion One, I pick strings and then load the "Pizzacato" patch (Note that this happens with any instrument in Kontakt when I play my Yamaha P-115).

Then I hit the "virtual" keyboard inside Kontakt, on a single note as far down the "key" I can get, to produce the loudest sound.

This results in a measured velocity of "127" = Maximum velocity.

Now I hit the exact same key/note on my Yamaha P-115 (Connected via USB 2) and no matter how HARD I hit I cannot get the velocity above "95" to "110".

NB: If I load Keyscape (VST that runs outside of Kontakt) the sound produced from the virtual keyboard of Cubase 9 Pro and the sound produced from my Yamaha P-115 is the same, from what I can hear in the headphones (I don't know how to measure midi velocity in Cubase).

So can some help me? I want my Yamaha P-115 to be able to hit a velocity of "127" = Maximum.
Old 16th December 2016
Lives for gear

What is the minimum velocity you can attain either way?

Then I would check within the settings of the Yamaha to see if you have it at soft, medium, or hard, for expression. If it's at hard it just may not be possible to get enough force to achieve 127.
Old 16th December 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsieur_R View Post

Then I would check within the settings of the Yamaha to see if you have it at soft, medium, or hard, for expression. If it's at hard it just may not be possible to get enough force to achieve 127.
I can actually get down to a velocity of "7" on the Yamaha P-115 (And still hear sound).

About the same on the virtuak keyboard.

What do you mean by soft, medium or hard expression? How do I see that?
Old 16th December 2016
Gear Head

Quote:

I have set "Touch Sensitivity" to hard, still cant hit "127" :'( This blows.

The wife won't let me have two keyboards. And I kinda don't want to sell my Yamaha P-115. :|
Old 16th December 2016
Lives for gear

What about when set to soft...what's your maximum then?
Old 16th December 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
What about when set to soft...what's your maximum then?
"Soft: The volume level does not change much when you play
the keyboard soft or hard."

I still cant hit "127" and now its kinda just the same velocity no matter how hard/soft I hit it.

I know the Yamaha P-115 is just an entry level piano, but it works fine in Keyscape, I dont understand it.
Old 16th December 2016
Lives for gear

Well, to isolate the problem you should record some midi notes into cubase and then look at the piano roll to see the velocity measured. This will give you the knowledge to know if it's kontakt or the Yamaha that is problem. I've used yamahas a lot and vouch for them. Also, have you tried other keys on the keyboard just to make sure it's not a specific key that is the problem?
Old 16th December 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Well, to isolate the problem you should record some midi notes into cubase and then look at the piano roll to see the velocity measured. This will give you the knowledge to know if it's kontakt or the Yamaha that is problem. I've used yamahas a lot and vouch for them. Also, have you tried other keys on the keyboard just to make sure it's not a specific key that is the problem?
I have done following:

1. Tried various keys, done chords etc.

2. Tested it with my cheap Roland A-49 plastic crappy keyboard, with that I hit "127"" with no problem, but it is not weighted keys so its not really that ideal for composing :/

3. Tested Keyscape by Spectrasonics, there the issue seems to be less noticable, I havent found a way to measure velocity inside Cubase 9.
Old 17th December 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visephy View Post
I have done following:

1. Tried various keys, done chords etc.

2. Tested it with my cheap Roland A-49 plastic crappy keyboard, with that I hit "127"" with no problem, but it is not weighted keys so its not really that ideal for composing :/

3. Tested Keyscape by Spectrasonics, there the issue seems to be less noticable, I havent found a way to measure velocity inside Cubase 9.
hi, i had a P80 here for several years, always put out Low Midi Output .. i called Yamaha about it .. they did not know anything about this behavior .. so i do not have it any more .. you could hit it with a hammer and not hit 110 ... LOL
Old 17th December 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh1192 View Post
hi, i had a P80 here for several years, always put out Low Midi Output .. i called Yamaha about it .. they did not know anything about this behavior .. so i do not have it any more .. you could hit it with a hammer and not hit 110 ... LOL
So what do you use now?

I am leaning towards the Roland A88. Since it has weighted keys and is designed as a midi controller.
Old 17th December 2016
Gear Guru

Oxygen 49 - please stop laughing if you can .. haha .. i am shopping as well, using this for now ..
Old 17th December 2016
Lives for gear
I know this sounds silly and rudimentary but is the volume on the Yamaha all the way up? I only say this because I ran in to the same problem and didn't notice the volume on my controller was only 3/4 up. It was the last thing I checked.
Old 17th December 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alndln View Post
I know this sounds silly and rudimentary but is the volume on the Yamaha all the way up? I only say this because I ran in to the same problem and didn't notice the volume on my controller was only 3/4 up. It was the last thing I checked.
You mean the sound volume for the speakers?

Its sending midi data, so that shouldnt do anything.
Old 17th December 2016
Gear Guru

some of the causes of these kind of behaviours have been covered here.

A good 88 full weighted key MIDI controller, with many velocity levels and USB?
Old 16th June 2019
Here for the gear

Same velocity issue with Yamaha P150

I have a Yamaha P150 an suffer the same velocity issue. No matter how hard i hit the keys it seem never to reach maximum velocity which is a major problem when using it as a controller keyboard. I can’t get the different patches and sounds from connected tone generators to ”bloom out” and reach their full sound dynamics and expression. I also have a secondary keyboard, a good old D50, which does not suffer the same problem. I feel it’s a rather disturbing issue.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search