The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best way to high-pass Equalizer Plugins
Old 11th December 2016
Gear Addict

Best way to high-pass

Hello!

Often it's necessary for the mix to thin out some instruments.

As I don't like the artifacts caused by linear phase high-passing, (pre-ringing) and cutting with a 48 dB slope and a minimum phase eq often sounds unnatural, I tend to use 6 dB and 12 dB slopes. But that's often not enough - forcing the me to go higher in the spectrum, touching frequencies better left alone.

So what is the best way to remove low-end energy, without abusing the tonal balance in other frequencies, without unpredictably changing peak levels, ringing, or distortion?? (Either by eq or other techniques)

Sometimes I get the impression, I should try out using analog gear on the way in to thin out the low-end naturally or record everything with less bass energy in the first place.

Which techniques are you guy using to remove low-end naturally? Recording to tape? Analog eqs? (Which ones)
Clever micing? Transformers? Digital shelving instead of high-pass? (Which plugins?)

Thank you!

NC
Old 11th December 2016
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noise Commander View Post

Sometimes I get the impression, I should try out using analog gear on the way in to thin out the low-end naturally or record everything with less bass energy in the first place.
or move the mic. and a good number of mics have a proximity boost in the bass.
moving it back can clear things up.
Old 11th December 2016
Lives for gear

I don't know if this is the "best way", best depends on the case and the target.
If you need a filter, with its up- and downsides, the Brainworks Cleansweep Pro is in the sale at the moment, more for creative use.
Old 12th December 2016
Lives for gear

Linear phase is a bad idea for high passing but most other eqs should be fine for separate channels work. I use uad mostly, trident a range has excellent & clean hp filters to tighten any sound, api vision cs is clean sounding too, api 560 has a commanding character which can act like hp near full attenuation... transformers work too its your choice just try things, my go to tranny is lindell channel x. On m buss i dont like transformers that much, in general epure is the best hp i ve found for that task. Other clean ones are massenburg eq, oxford and fab filter.

There's no best, some times you may like phase shift and colouration , others not. In the master things get more tricky as we usually prefer clarity and punch.
Old 12th December 2016
Lives for gear

If basic minimum-phase HPF is not enough, than i'd say something is wrong.
Old 12th December 2016
Deleted User
Try different ones. The best are better than the rest.
Old 12th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted User View Post
Try different ones. The best are better than the rest.
This. For whatever reason, not every HPF seems to cut it (no pun intended). Some of my favorites:

Sonimus Satson
UAD Neve 1073
Mellowmuse EQ1A (free)
Lindell 6X-500
Old 13th December 2016
Lives for gear

Satson is indeed great. I use Sweetone more though.

Sand by Acustica is the best I've tried IMO. (30 day trial... A ton of utility beyond those filters too!)

The 202 by McDsp is a pretty fine plug too! If you ever feel like challenging yourself to mix with only filters (for fun)... The 202 and smart use of resonance on them can get you quote far!
Old 13th December 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noise Commander View Post
As I don't like the artifacts caused by linear phase high-passing, (pre-ringing) and cutting with a 48 dB slope and a minimum phase eq often sounds unnatural, I tend to use 6 dB and 12 dB slopes. But that's often not enough - forcing the me to go higher in the spectrum, touching frequencies better left alone.

So what is the best way to remove low-end energy, without abusing the tonal balance in other frequencies, without unpredictably changing peak levels, ringing, or distortion?? (Either by eq or other techniques)
If you're not getting the sound you're looking for with a standard minimum phase Butterworth 12 dB slope, then perhaps try a Bessel HPF instead?

That can work well on sources that are square or brickwall limited (certain samples for instances). You'll never get around phase changes or changes in peak energy with IIR EQs (due to phase changes and post filter ringing), but a Bessel filter can provide a slightly different and sometimes nicer phase change on a particular source, trading this for less efficiency.

If you're on a Mac (AU) I can send you a nice switchable Butterworth/Bessel 12 or 18 dB slope filter plug-in if you pop me an email. holger [at] onlinemastering.dk

I had it made because I couldn't find something that was low distortion/64 bits with a compact interface that had both Butterworth and Bessel. The frequency steps are loosely based on my Dangerous BAX hardware EQ HPF. More info in this JPG, you probably need to download and/or zoom in http://www.bifrostaudio.com/grafix/bifrostwebpic.jpg

Other than that I think that DMG has an EQ with a Bessel option.

Last edited by Lagerfeldt; 13th December 2016 at 09:19 AM..
Old 13th December 2016
Gear Addict

Satson
Vumt deluxe

Both have very natural sounding filters..
Old 13th December 2016
Lives for gear

DDMF IIEQ pro has both Bessel and Butterworth filters, btw.
Old 13th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ray View Post
Satson is indeed great. I use Sweetone more though.

Sand by Acustica is the best I've tried IMO. (30 day trial... A ton of utility beyond those filters too!)

The 202 by McDsp is a pretty fine plug too! If you ever feel like challenging yourself to mix with only filters (for fun)... The 202 and smart use of resonance on them can get you quote far!
The McDSP Filterbank 202 is my fav too.

I use the filter and its resonance peak control very often on kick drum.
Old 13th December 2016
Gear Head

1) try using serial HPF with oversampling with low cutoff setting instead (e.g., 3 serial 6 dB/octave filters at 40 to cut 60)
2) check out ToneBoosters Flx, there's plenty of weird filters and phase is adaptive
3) passive eq shelving, why not? puigtec or another pultec-alike eq could handle low frequencies with better "vibe"
Old 13th December 2016
Lives for gear
Shelf instead?
Old 13th December 2016
Here for the gear

Pro q2 6 db shelf the smoothest Ive heard.
Old 13th December 2016
Lives for gear
I like Ozone's filters, but it's a bit much to pull one up just to use a HPF.

Satson, Britson, philta, UAD Pultec HLF-3C, Cambridge are the ones I tend to use
Old 15th April 2017
Gotta love the Sonimus Sweetone HPF. The Sonimus SonEQ and Son EQ Pro are nice too.
Not enough experience with their Britson and Satson plugins yet but they sure sound promising.
Sometimes the old IK Classic EQ hits the spot.
All of the above are either free or extremely affordable.
Old 15th April 2017
Here for the gear

use a bell filter intead and do a wide cut at i.e 20hz.
Old 15th April 2017
Lives for gear

I don't like HPFiltering, it's messing too much with the sound. I use shelving.
Old 15th April 2017
Lives for gear
I was trying to work on some music, but now they are doing some loud construction outside. (wtf?)

Huge bump on an awesome thread. I am moving towards what szmola said. Shelves. I am starting to leave HHs low end too, these days. The low end on HHs sound (feels) good to me.

HLF- 3C is awesome
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search