The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best High end plugins to use Reverb & Delay Plugins
Old 16th December 2016
Lives for gear

The more I learn about Equalizers, Compressors, Reverbs and Effects, the better my UAD plugins get.
Old 16th December 2016
Lives for gear
I'm usually analog, esp for critical tasks, but 2 plugs I'm really digging are Melda turbo eq and Phoenixverb. Both sound really good to me.
Old 16th December 2016
M2E
Lives for gear

I think Chip did a great job at breaking down each plugin.

I have too many plugin to name that I love and still use and that was extremely expensive because at the time TDM's were always double the price of all RTAS plugins. So it was normal to spend $300 to $500 a plugin to get a really good one.

I'm not sure what system you use so, I'll just name my go to's in 3's.

Compression -

1. Empirical Labs Arouser (Distressor) - My New Fav
2. LSR VLB 525 (API Channel Compressor)
3. Slate Digital VMR 401 (SSL Channel Compressor)

EQ -

1. Fab Filter Pro Q2
2. Maag EQ4 & EQ2
3. Slate Digital VMR Air EQ Racks

Reverb -

1. LiquidSonics Reverberate - My New Fav
2. TC Electronics VSS3
3. Lexicon PCM 96

Delay -

1. Waves H-Delay
2. Digi/Avid Extra Long Delay
3. Soundtoys Echoboy

Saturation -

1. Waves Scheps73 - Best in the world right now to me
2. SSL X-Saturator
3. McDSP AC 101

Console EMU's -

1. Slate Digital VCC 2.0
2. Waves NLS
3. McDSP AC 101

Tape EMU's -

1. Tone Boosters Reel Tape
2. Waves Ampex
3. Avid Reel Tape

Hope this helps...

There are a lot more that go in and out of this and a lot more that I use but, normally I reach for these when I'm looking to do such processing.

Marc
Old 16th December 2016
Lives for gear

Personally I think you should get what you want and need. For me though I pretty much use the stock cubase plugs and a couple waves and Izoptope. I chased "high end" plugs for years and in the end mostly use stock now

I recorded the source as best i can for the best quality at a good level, this is 90% of the finished product for me. i have loaded the RACK plugs into cubase (eq and comp) that come with it and those then take me the next 5%, and for vocals I have CLA waves, on each insert i have the waves NLS, and master i Hvae 1 UAD ampex, NLS and ozone 5 that i mix right thru

Basically i have that as a template and I now just have my own "console" so to speak and barely use anything different so basically when i am done tracking the song is about 85-90% done, i pan hard LCR, and TWEAK with the rack plugs, all tracks at once because they are all right there and loaded so no needing to click and insert, then click and open a plug. I will have ozone clicked off as i get teh mix done and balanced, click it on here and there to check and very quickly I am done

i firmly believe i could use just cubase stuff and be fine and not hear any diff in the final product but some of the waves and izotope stuff gets me there faster which i like
Old 16th December 2016
Over the holidays, we're going to try to mix a song using our standard setup (mixed bag of plugs from AlexB, Slate, Soundtoys, Kush, etc.) and then use just the included Cubase plugins and see what we have. I can honestly say I haven't listened to hardly any of the Cubase plugs, so this should be interesting!
Old 16th December 2016
Gear Guru
I know all this has been done to death but I do think there are designers that offer an interesting take on sound that is quite unique. Kush and Soundtoys come to mind. I do think developers/manufacturers gravitate to a sound and are artists in their own right. I've been using Vertigo a lot lately, and it's definitely given my recordings a sound that I like. SKNote and Klanghelm come to mind in the non-premium price range. Tokyo Dawn and Sonimus have some wonderful free GE edition offerings....I agree you can find great stock efx with your DAW, however I'd be hard pressed to replicate a Kush Electra with a stock plug in, or any other plug in, just like the hardware....
Old 13th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKeefe1032 View Post
Over the holidays, we're going to try to mix a song using our standard setup (mixed bag of plugs from AlexB, Slate, Soundtoys, Kush, etc.) and then use just the included Cubase plugins and see what we have. I can honestly say I haven't listened to hardly any of the Cubase plugs, so this should be interesting!
Could you share your findings?
Old 13th April 2017
Lives for gear
emulations only nebula and any freebie filtek or the red eq, for everything else fab filter melda and izotope and peobably cable guys stuff ...
Old 13th April 2017
Lives for gear
Here are thoughts based on my experience:

Top tier mixing plugins:

Cytomic
Soundtoys [though I found them very unstable and difficult to look at]
Softube (incl. the plugins they did for Native Instruments)
Native Instruments (several specific plugins, Supercharger GT, Replika XT, Transient Master in particular are amazing)
Plugin Alliance

Top tier reverbs:

Relab
Exponential Audio
Lexicon

Top tier all-rounders:

DMG Audio
FabFilter

I think that in a normal mix though, sometimes plugins which are less than perfect are actually a better choice. Sometimes imperfections give the right character you need. I also haven't touched any UAD stuff but I presume that would easily be on the list.

Some food for thought. I mixed one of my tracks using all 3rd party plugins, most of which I would consider "high end". I then decided to start over, so I only used 3rd party plugins for delay and reverb primarily and re-did the mix from scratch with Cubase's built-in channel strip for EQ, dynamics and saturation. The result was a significantly better mix than when I started.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search