The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
18i20 MK2 Sound Problem
Old 10th December 2016
Gear Nut
18i20 MK2 Sound Problem

I'm still trying to figure this problem out whether it's a software/driver issue or a hardware one. I own a Macbook Pro with OS.X El Capital 10.11.6

So I bought a 18i20 MK2 and all went fine until a couple days ago while i was listening to music in iTunes. Suddenly the music stopped, but the progression bar kept playing so music was still playing from computer but not on my speakers. I the switched the audio output to my TV speakers and to internal MacBook speakers and all went fine. I then tried to plug the USB off and then reconnect and there was no fixing. Interesting fact that when I checked the mics through direct monitoring they were working. The speakers recived the sound from my mic, but notghing else from the computer was working. It's like someone put some MUTE function on all of the audio coming from the computer.

Then another day, It went the same. After some time .. the same problem. It's like random. Sometimes after a few minutes, sometimes after hours and some days everything is OK. Like no problems, no interruptions. Furthermore, I went to a friends computer with Windows 7 to check if it's doing the same or if it's a OS glitch. Everything went OK besides Focusrite Control which kept showing "No Hardware Connected".

Then last two days everything went ok on my computer, no problems. Today it crashed again. It's very frustrating and I wanna know what causes the problem and what to do. It's hardware, it's software? This is a new product that I bought and I want to figure it out whether I should return it or not?

Thank you!
Andrei
Old 2nd January 2017
Gear Nut
still having issues even after latest update
Old 5th January 2017
Here for the gear

This happened to me on my crappy Toshiba Satellite laptop I bought from a Black Friday sale a couple of years ago

If I use a specific USB port, it works. Not sure if it's a 3.0 vs 2.0 slot, but there are two together and if I plug into the wrong one, I get your problem exactly. If I plug into that same one that works, it never randomly disconnects.

It's absolutely not the Scarlett. I'm going to try to fish out my laptop specs and see what USB version that is.

Edit: USB 3.0

Last edited by GoingBonesokco; 5th January 2017 at 07:28 AM.. Reason: Follow-up
Old 9th January 2017
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingBonesokco View Post
This happened to me on my crappy Toshiba Satellite laptop I bought from a Black Friday sale a couple of years ago

If I use a specific USB port, it works. Not sure if it's a 3.0 vs 2.0 slot, but there are two together and if I plug into the wrong one, I get your problem exactly. If I plug into that same one that works, it never randomly disconnects.

It's absolutely not the Scarlett. I'm going to try to fish out my laptop specs and see what USB version that is.

Edit: USB 3.0
It should be related to this issue that Focusrite admitted to have, though you're running on Windows: https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-...0-10-and-10-11

"Some users have reported experiencing audio glitches and drop outs with the Scarlett range of interfaces since updating to OS X 10.9 Mavericks. If you are experiencing these problems with your interface, it is possible to utilise Apple’s USB audio driver by downloading and running the class compliant mode application below."
Old 9th January 2017
Gear Nut
So I decided to update this topic with every update I receive about this issue. Maybe some others encounter this problem as well.

The Focusrite tech is very responsive and they are willing to help but it seems like nothing resolve the issue.

Firt thing they advised me was:

"Hi Andrei,

Thanks for getting back to me.

Can you please go to Finder > Mac HD > Library > Preferences > Audio and trash the two files in there. Can you then go to Finder > Go menu > hold down the alt key + click on library > preferences and in there trash the file:

com.apple.audio.audiomidisetup.plist

Then empty the trash and restart the system. Do you have the same issues after this?"

After that:

"Can you please delete the file FocusriteUSBAudio.kext in my screenshot.

You can do this by navigating to Finder > Mac HD > System > Library > Extensions

Please trash the file then empty the trash and restart the system.

Does this solve the issue? Let us know how you get on with the testing."

For all guys that have the issue with Scarlett interfaces on OS X, try this. I'm still testing to see. I also try to install the class compliant mode .zip in there:

https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-...0-10-and-10-11
Old 9th January 2017
Lives for gear

I had nothing but problems with my 18i20 on both mac and pc, happy with apollo 8 now.
Old 10th January 2017
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilrocker View Post
I had nothing but problems with my 18i20 on both mac and pc, happy with apollo 8 now.
is that the 2nd generation?
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreineagu View Post
is that the 2nd generation?
Might been mkI, do they look different?
Old 11th January 2017
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilrocker View Post
Might been mkI, do they look different?
no. they're pretty much the same in terms of design. though the Mk2 had been released last year.
Old 11th January 2017
Gear Nut
Today I pulled out the USB cable from my Mac and after working on my Macbook in the other room I tried to reconnect the USB cable of my 18i20 that was still turned on. The sound wasn't working.

That's really nice, Focusrite :-)
Good job!
Old 13th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreineagu View Post
Today I pulled out the USB cable from my Mac and after working on my Macbook in the other room I tried to reconnect the USB cable of my 18i20 that was still turned on. The sound wasn't working.

That's really nice, Focusrite :-)
Good job!
I will never buy Focusrite interfaces again
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search