The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Looking for a reliable Thunderbolt 2 dock... tried CalDigit Audio Interfaces
Old 6th December 2016
Here for the gear

Looking for a reliable Thunderbolt 2 dock... tried CalDigit

Hi guys,

I have an early 2015 13" MBP and I bought a CalDigit Thunderbolt 2 hub which I have been using with my external monitor, my Mbox Pro 3, and an external USB 3 HD.

I noticed the other day that the hard drive keeps spinning when I shut down the computer, when connected through the CalDigit dock.

Anyways, I'm looking for someone who has experience with any of the other thunderbolt docks. I need my drives to spin down when the computer is off, and when the drive is not in use. I thought I had the perfect setup finally lol... nope!

Last edited by rick rude; 6th December 2016 at 05:02 AM.. Reason: fixed mistake
Old 6th December 2016
Lives for gear

If the dock you have works as you want except for the drive issue....

I would use that as an excuse to move to SSD's...not look for a new dock! LOL

Edit: Wait.....I just re-read your post.... You ARE using SSDs....so...what exactly is 'spinning'?
Old 6th December 2016
Here for the gear

Sorry I wrote that wrong, I was using my cellphone. I meant to say that I was using an external HD through USB 3 into the CalDigit hub (but I said SSD3 instead). Yes, I am using an SSD for the internal drive. The external HD is a project drive which I write a lot to, so I would rather use HD because of cost and reliability. If it ever crashes I can most likely salvage the data, if the SSD crashes, it's basically lost.

I love this CalDigit in every other way, but I just hate how things connected to it stay on even when you turn the connected computer off. Even my dongles stay on... I just don't want electricity running through all these gadgets nonstop. I talked to tech support at CalDigit and they basically told me I should just unplug the drive when I'm not using it. Hmm yeah.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search