The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Who's using that Behringer UMC404HD?
Old 6th December 2016
Lives for gear
Who's using that Behringer UMC404HD?

Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD | Sweetwater.com

Looks like crazy specs for a $100 interface right?
Old 1st March 2017
Here for the gear
I just happened to find this at Sweetwater and wondered the same thing. There is a lot of hate for Behringer for different reasons, but man, I'm poor and this is tempting! Unless they have a schill army giving it 5-star reviews at every site then it seems to be a solid unit. Unfortunately no one has chimed in here yet. Is anyone using this at this point and have an opinion one way or the other?
Old 1st March 2017
qwe
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dullfangs View Post
Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD | Sweetwater.com

Looks like crazy specs for a $100 interface right?
Find out if it supports Asynchronous USB. Else USB tends to yield a lot of jitter...
Old 2nd March 2017
RiF
Lives for gear

I have a UMC 204HD (2 in 4 out model) on my MacBook Pro that I am using occasionally and can give you info about some aspects of it. What are you interested in?

So far:
  • The build quality looks fine. It's quite heavy with a metal case, knobs and connectors seem very solid.
  • USB-powered.
  • The headphone output can be very loud, which is good. EDIT: I mentioned distortion in my original post, which has been my fault. The headphone out does not distort even at max level.
    EDIT 2: I mentioned distortion in my original post, which I am still noticing. The headphone output distorts from about 2/3 and up.
  • On the Mac, it works without any driver or software installation whatsover. All i/o's appear in Logic, Maschine, Live as expected.
  • I remember needing to use the Pad and Input Gain to get a proper DI input level for recording my guitar into Logic. Worked, but I remember some unexpected levels (like no Pad needed with passive pickups). Need to confirm that, though.
What I can't tell currently (but can check):
  • Low-Latency performance: My expectation is to work on a buffer size of 64 samples maximum. I do get a lot of pops and crackle using the Macbook Pro's internal audio interface. The 204HD gives me way less crackles at 64, but still there's some. But I don't know if it's a CPU- or audio interface-problem. My MBP is a 2015 4-core i7 2.9GHz 15" with 16 GB RAM /1 TB SSD, so it's 2x more juicy than my old studio desktop PC (Core [email protected]), which interestingly runs rock solid with my M-Audio Profire 2626.
  • Audio quality: Sounds good to, but I haven't done round-trip audio tests or any measurements.
  • Did not check the mic-preamps as I have no use for them (I have a BAE 1073MP...) and I don't expect anything worth writing home about.
  • I haven't tried it on my Window s PC, so I don't know if the drivers work OK and hassle-free.

To sum it up for me:
If I get the low-latency problem sorted out and if the audio quality is confirmed to be good by some more scientific tests, it would be hard to find a better audio interface for that ridiculously low amount of money.

Last edited by RiF; 23rd April 2017 at 04:05 PM.. Reason: Correct wrong info (headphone distortion)
Old 2nd March 2017
Lives for gear

The UMC-404HD is a solid unit and it works well. The temptation to take things beyond the defaults can get good results or not-so-good results. For example, the 2048 Behringer sample default may be too conservative for you, but 64 or 128 at 96k may be too fast. However, 512 at 48k could work. That mainly depends on the particular computer. Similarly, you are not supposed to run the UMC-404HD on USB power only, but in some cases it might work. But not at full potential. And while the UMC-404HD might look a cool stand-alone mixer, it is not; it needs a computer with USB 2. (And no, I haven't tried the pre-amps as stand-alone devices via the inserts - yet.)

best, john
Old 2nd March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiF View Post
To sum it up for me:
If I get the low-latency problem and the headphone amp distortion at higher levels sorted out and if the audio quality is confirmed to be good by some more scientific tests, it would be hard to find a better audio interface for that ridiculously low amount of money.
What sample rate are you working at? If you move up to 96kHz, you might be able to get away with a larger buffer size (i.e. 128 or even 256ms), which could potentially alleviate the popping/crackling.
Old 2nd March 2017
RiF
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkaitkai View Post
What sample rate are you working at? If you move up to 96kHz, you might be able to get away with a larger buffer size (i.e. 128 or even 256ms), which could potentially alleviate the popping/crackling.
I am at 44.1 to 48KHz. But it's 2017 and I just want the same low-latency performance on a 2015 4-core i7 Macbook Pro that I am getting on my 2009 Core i5 PC with my Profire 2626.
Old 2nd March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiF View Post
I am at 44.1 to 48KHz. But it's 2017 and I just want the same low-latency performance on a 2015 4-core i7 Macbook Pro that I am getting on my 2009 Core i5 PC with my Profire 2626.
This is why I recommended tracking at 96kHz.

I have an Apollo and a 2012 i5 iMac. The Apollo has the benefit of tracking through UAD plugins (which include some excellent amp sims) with near-zero latency, regardless of CPU usage or DAW settings. But let's suppose that I want to track through a native amp sim — perhaps Amplitube or something from Ignite Amps.

To do this, I have to treat the Apollo like any other audio interface and fiddle with the sample rate and buffer size until I find something which produces as little detectable latency as possible without overtaxing my system.

At 96kHz, I can set my buffer size as high as 256ms and the latency is still low enough to monitor through amp sims without any noticeable discrepancy.

However, the same exact buffer size at 48kHz is virtually unusable, and this remains the case even when lowered to 128ms. The same held true when I owned a Focusrite Scarlett interface a few years ago.

Once you've finished tracking and have committed to a guitar tone, you can always use a high quality SRC to downsample to 48 or 44.1kHz and move on with mixing or tracking other instruments.
Old 2nd October 2017
Gear Head
Sorry to add to an old post

But...

I can't say anything negative about my UMC404HD.

Computers:
2008 Mac Pro 8 core 16GB Ram
2009 IMac 16GB Ram Duo Core
2015 MacBook Pro 8GB Ram Duo Core 13"

I had a first generation Apollo for a couple years, went to a smaller setup. Audient ID22 has been my go to.

I use a Great River MP-NV2, and a slew of good to great microphones. Not winning Grammy awards, just been doing this 20 years, and keep gear that really makes a huge difference.

I saw the UMC404HD in a store, and couldn't resist. Had my friends blues trio swing by 2 nights to see what it could do...

Tracking 4 tracks live at 24Bit 192k caused a few crashes, and jitter at points. However, once I adjusted the buffers to a relatively stable spot, the sound blew my sox off.

I've had it 2 months. In that two months, I haven't touched the ID22. The only thing I miss the Apollo for is the killer plug ins.

If you have a decent machine this is a no brainer at $100.
Old 19th October 2018
Gear Nut

Hi What are the Mac system requirements for this interface will it work on OSX 10.6.8?
Old 12th December 2018
Gear Head

Hi,
I'm looking for a cheap interface for playing live. Can someone tell me how stable is the UMC404HD? Do you think I could trust it for that? Thanks!
Old 5th November 2019
Gear Addict

I bought one of these to run my single vocal setup from my daw for live use., sounds effing superb and I’m running 4 or 5 inserts in my daw and some fx channels all at 96k through Cubase 10. Sounds much better than my Midas F32. I’m running line in though from my trusty old pre 73. In ear monitors shure 535,s complement the live setup. Superb sound, Solid drivers and only £95.
Old 6th November 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkaitkai View Post
At 96kHz, I can set my buffer size as high as 256ms and the latency is still low enough to monitor through amp sims without any noticeable discrepancy.

However, the same exact buffer size at 48kHz is virtually unusable, and this remains the case even when lowered to 128ms. The same held true when I owned a Focusrite Scarlett interface a few years ago.
Of course, since buffer sizes are measured in samples, and the sampling rate is measured in samples per second, it follows that as you double the sampling rate, each sample in the buffer becomes half as long, or half the latency at the same buffer size. So basically, a 1024 samples buffer at 192 KHz (samples per second) = 256 samples at 48 KHz in terms of latency. So stating buffer sizes without mentioning the sampling rate isn't very useful.

In terms of performance, lower sampling rates and smaller buffer sizes should usually perform better, since there's less strain on the CPU (as it has to calculate fewer samples each second) and less data being pushed to the audio interface each second. I guess depending on various factors (such as where the bottleneck lies, how drivers and audio hardware are optimized etc.), other combinations of sampling rate and buffer sizes might perform better in certain cases. The main point I think is that you should not be afraid to try much larger buffer sizes if using high sample-rates. The overall latency might not be as high as you think.
Old 6th November 2019
Lives for gear

I bought one to use with my iPad for doing small location recordings and have to say this interface has completely exceeded my expectations! The quality of the conversion and preamps are excellent. One of the projects I recorded a while back was a small classical trio (flute, clarinet and piano) and I was genuinely quite shocked at how good it turned out! In my studio I have a Motu 828es interface and outboard preamps by Audient and Warm Audio. Whilst I can’t deny these are a step up from the Behringer, the UMC404HD is still capable of very professional results. Before my Motu 828es I had a Focusrite Saffire pro 24DSP and to be honest I preferred the overall sound on the UMC404HD.
I paid £85 for mine brand new with a 3 year warranty which is an incredible bargain for the quality of this product!!
Old 4th February 2020
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinisterbr View Post
Hi,
I'm looking for a cheap interface for playing live. Can someone tell me how stable is the UMC404HD? Do you think I could trust it for that? Thanks!
Yes can be trusted but as with any USB based system you will need to make the USB cable rock solid on both ends. In pro tools any abridgment of the USB connection causes the daw to stop requiring a restart. Other than that, it's as solid as any well made modern electronics.
Old 4th February 2020
Lives for gear

My UMC404HD has stopped working with my iPad!? I’m now getting “this accessory requires to much power” despite using the same Apple lightning to USB 3 cable as I’ve always used!?
Old 5th February 2020
Gear Head
Hi

I am using the UMC404HD since a few months without any problems or latency. I bought it because the 4 inputs and 4 outputs and because I needed something simple quickly to replace my old interface. So far everything works straight forward - I couldn't be happier.

Until today, since I changed my power/wall wart system: I am using a powered USD hub for everything including external HDs - running everything through 1 USB cable into my Macbook Pro and everything is powered too. So since I didn't like when using only the HDs that the UMC404HD is running as well I am now using at least a 2nd power supply which can be switched off when not using the UMC404HD - sorry that's a bit complicated but maybe important to illustrate my problem, being: since the UMC404HD only drew power from the USB and not from the wall wart anymore for 1 day it acts strange. I suddenly have latency during FX monitoring and Logic Pro doesn't recognize the device at startup. I had to switch it on and off a couple of times, pull the cables, having MIDI device alerts, and I need to engage Low Latency Mode in Logic to not have a horrible delay...

Can this be by accident or does it indeed have something to do with the power?

As you may know the UMC404HD can be used without power supply because it draws from the USB.

Anyone having the same issue or some basic advise?
Old 27th February 2020
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiefunk View Post
My UMC404HD has stopped working with my iPad!? I’m now getting “this accessory requires to much power” despite using the same Apple lightning to USB 3 cable as I’ve always used!?
The UMC404HD comes with an external power supply, and has a jack for that on the back of the unit, why not use it?
Old 27th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolavine View Post
The UMC404HD comes with an external power supply, and has a jack for that on the back of the unit, why not use it?
I am using this along with the Apple powered USB camera kit for the iPad.
Old 27th February 2020
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moulin View Post
Hi

I am using the UMC404HD since a few months without any problems or latency. I bought it because the 4 inputs and 4 outputs and because I needed something simple quickly to replace my old interface. So far everything works straight forward - I couldn't be happier.

Until today, since I changed my power/wall wart system: I am using a powered USD hub for everything including external HDs - running everything through 1 USB cable into my Macbook Pro and everything is powered too. So since I didn't like when using only the HDs that the UMC404HD is running as well I am now using at least a 2nd power supply which can be switched off when not using the UMC404HD - sorry that's a bit complicated but maybe important to illustrate my problem, being: since the UMC404HD only drew power from the USB and not from the wall wart anymore for 1 day it acts strange. I suddenly have latency during FX monitoring and Logic Pro doesn't recognize the device at startup. I had to switch it on and off a couple of times, pull the cables, having MIDI device alerts, and I need to engage Low Latency Mode in Logic to not have a horrible delay...

Can this be by accident or does it indeed have something to do with the power?

As you may know the UMC404HD can be used without power supply because it draws from the USB.

Anyone having the same issue or some basic advise?
The UMC404HD want's a dedicated USB connection not shared with anything else. And the problems you are having are telling you that. Why not use the provided power supply and use the UMC the way it was intended and tested to be used?
Old 27th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
The UMC404HD want's a dedicated USB connection not shared with anything else. And the problems you are having are telling you that. Why not use the provided power supply and use the UMC the way it was intended and tested to be used?
I’m sorry, I don’t follow what you mean? I am using the provided power supply as mentioned in my previous post.
Old 28th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
I am using this along with the Apple powered USB camera kit for the iPad.
Plug it in 110/220V. It's not meant to be working from USB only.

Quote:
I’m sorry, I don’t follow what you mean? I am using the provided power supply as mentioned in my previous post.
Keep it plugged in at all times. It's meant to be used that way.

Try testing it with a computer if you have one. Plug it in and play some youtube music, see if it works.

If it does, the problem is almost guaranteed with iPad software/drivers.
Old 28th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1Greg View Post
Plug it in 110/220V. It's not meant to be working from USB only.

Keep it plugged in at all times. It's meant to be used that way.

Try testing it with a computer if you have one. Plug it in and play some youtube music, see if it works.

If it does, the problem is almost guaranteed with iPad software/drivers.
Thanks yes I’ve tried that.
Old 28th February 2020
Gear Head
Quote:
Why not use the provided power supply and use the UMC the way it was intended and tested to be used?
I am using the provided power supply in the way it was intended. The USB is plugged in a powered hub.

Looks like it is a Logic Pro problem - as always.
Old 26th May 2020
Gear Head
Hi dear forum

Quick Question. Yesterday evening my UMC404HD suddenly stopped working on Line 1 in a weird way: I have been keeping plugged-in all audio with TRS on Line 1 for months, never touched it, all working perfectly. Recently I plugged in another microphone with XLR parallel on Line 2 using phantom power. A few days later, because i moved the interface, I pulled the power while having TRS and XLR plugged (phantom power off) and when using it again, suddenly there was no input in my DAW from Line 1 anymore. There is input in the UMC, all line LED indicating, sound on monitors but no sound into the daw. I'm in mono-mode. When change to line 2, 3 or 4 there is input signal but not on 1.

I tried everything, restart computer, restart DAW, restart MIDI, pulled USB cable several times, pulled power plug several times. All settings are the same on every Input. I'm using Logic Pro X.

Do I miss something before I contact the seller? I can't trust myself, usually it's me and I miss something, especially with the MIDI-crankiness of Logic - in 99% it is a Logic Problem. But sometimes something definitely is broken...
Old 26th May 2020
Gear Addict

I got one over a year ago to replace my VERY old 2ch Saffire LE.
I've only ever done mixing on my home system, so a 1-2ch input box is all I really need for playback.
Now when I saw the 404 at Sweetwater for $100 I thought why not....I didn't really need 4 mic pres, but couldn't hurt just to have it.
Sound wise it was a big improvement over the old Saffire…..MUCH quieter. With no signal, cranking the vol to max, the line noise is very very faint.
Pretty well built(Behringer has come a long way). Pots all feel pretty solid for an inexpensive "prosumer" unit.
One big disappointment was that the stereo/mono button does NOT affect playback. According to the Sweetwater rep it only affects monitoring two mono input sources panned stereo, ie: keys. It would be a great feature if they made it affect playback as well.

Recently I started tracking some drums at home. The Midas pres were a nice surprise. I'm using an old RadioShack PZM for the kick, and it puts out HUGE lowend!, and these pres handle it no problem. Snare and O-H inputs sound very nice, full and detailed. For all inputs I use the pads, just sounds better to my ears being able to turn the gain up more.
I'm using the dedicated power supply so I can't speak on how USB power affects performance.

If all you have is $100 to spend on an interface, this is a no brainer. If you're working by yourself, you can record everything with it.....vocs, gtr, bass DI, 4 mics for drums....done!
Old 26th May 2020
Gear Addict

OOPS!!.........I just looked online to see what they were going for....... $178 at Sweetwater. Still a good deal for under $200
Old 26th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moulin View Post
Hi dear forum

Quick Question. Yesterday evening my UMC404HD suddenly stopped working on Line 1 in a weird way: ...

Do I miss something before I contact the seller? ...
When I have lost the UMC404HD, re-installing it in Windows restores everything. Only difficult part (for me) is trying to understand the meaning of the language of the 'final' notice. Does it mean one thing or does it mean the opposite?

best, john
Old 26th May 2020
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabney View Post
When I have lost the UMC404HD, re-installing it in Windows restores everything. Only difficult part (for me) is trying to understand the meaning of the language of the 'final' notice. Does it mean one thing or does it mean the opposite?

best, john
I meant it literally. I'm about to send it back to have it replaced but before I do that I'd like to be sure to have all trobleshot.

I'm on a Mac and have no software installed. There's no such thing for this set up.
Old 26th May 2020
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buss-me View Post
The Midas pres were a nice surprise. I'm using an old RadioShack PZM for the kick, and it puts out HUGE lowend!, and these pres handle it no problem. Snare and O-H inputs sound very nice, full and detailed. For all inputs I use the pads, just sounds better to my ears being able to turn the gain up more.
I'm using the dedicated power supply so I can't speak on how USB power affects performance.

If all you have is $100 to spend on an interface, this is a no brainer. If you're working by yourself, you can record everything with it.....vocs, gtr, bass DI, 4 mics for drums....done!
I agree. I am basically very happy with it. But I don't know much about audio interfaces, coming from a very simple setup. I have used an iRig HD for guitars and later on an additional iRig Pro for mics. This was too much of a hassle. But having A/B/C's all devices once I have to say that I still prefer the iRig HD for guitars. It has more depth and character compared to the clean 404, which is probably better for synths and vocals, which you can beef up with a good mic and effects.
📝 Reply