The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best raid system for 2008 Mac Pro DAW Software
Old 5th December 2016
Here for the gear

Best raid system for 2008 Mac Pro

Hi folks,

I'm upgrading from an iMac quad core i7 to and older 8 core Mac Pro and I'll be using it on many contracts doing mixing, editing, sound design and composition for film and tv. I had an ssd in my iMac, which I'll move into the Mac Pro as the system drive, but I could use some advice as far as setting up a my sata hard drives. Ideally, my system ssd drive will handle only applications and I'll have a separate sata drive for my sessions and then only for only Sfx libraries / vst instrument samples as well. I guess another 1 or 2 for backups as well in Raid if possible. The MAC Pro is the 2.8 one and is an 8 core. Will it be able to handle all these drives, with 2 of them in raid within the tower, or would someone suggest putting in one of those PCI/esata cards so I can have some 6g/a Sata drives running outside of the tower in a hard drive bay ? I'm assuming the 3G/s sata speeds that the Mac Pro has may slow things down a bit. Anyway, I'm mainly looking for some rock solid backup options and the most efficient way to distribute the hard drive load across a few drives, so I have zero bottlenecking. We're talking pretty massive sessions in Pro Tools and Logic Pro, with often over 100 tracks, a lot of plugins and many vst sample libraries.

Thanks a lot - I imagine this is something a lot of you have had to put quite a lot of time, consideration and money into and would be glad to hear your setups / suggestions.

Harnessed.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search