The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
DAW HDD Setup > "Samples"? Reverb & Delay Plugins
Old 2nd December 2016
Gear Nut

DAW HDD Setup > "Samples"?

Hi,

https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/ar...rd-drive-setup

Amongst other thigns in this Ableton guide, it suggests having one HDD (A) for samples, and another HDD (B) for recording incoming audio.

In this scenario, the use of the word 'Samples' is referring to drum kit samples, for example, used by midi perhaps, right? And not the actual samples recorded in Ableton through your interface?

I want to be sure I am running optimally by having all of my DAW projects and associated SAMPLES that I have recorded, one one HDD (B).

Thanks!
Old 4th December 2016
Lives for gear

Yes, it means to have separate drives for your sample libraries and for recording, so the stream of incoming audio doesn't get interrupted by triggering of samples for example, and to keep your system as responsive as it can. It's also good to have your OS and software installed on a third separate drive to get more juice out of it (preferably and SSD or faster solution in this case).

Hope this helps
Old 4th December 2016
Gear Maniac

Question: Is it okay to put both the cache and live recordings folders inside the same HDD drive that has all the samples ?

The OS drive is an SSD and that's where Ableton is installed.

Thanks.
Old 4th December 2016
I'm no authority just a long-time enthusiast, and your question has been sufficiently answered already. But for whatever it's worth, my dedicated "Samples" hard drive not only gets all the sample content from my VSTi's (virtual instrument Drum, bass, keyboard etc samples), but also any samples that have been previously recorded.. in my own case, samples recorded by others (one shot drum samples, and anything like that). Also any audio loops that I have are placed on my Samples HDD... for me mostly drum loops, but also can be keyboard/guitar loops, or whatever.

Anything 'live' gets recorded to my dedicated Audio/Projects HDD. If I was to actually record my 'own' samples from something, I'd choose to record them onto my dedicated Audio/Project HDD 1st, then move them over to my 'Samples' HDD for actual use of them.

Of course I have a dedicated OS/Programs HDD (an SSD) like most everyone else. I install my Cubase DAW on this, and all my VSTi/virtual instrument programs on this drive, although their actual sample context is on my Samples HDD.

This 3 HDD rule is the way that I've been taught & have been exposed to do for many years by people more knowledgeable than me. Even though I have an SSD in my main DAW computer, I still feel the need to keep my HDD's separate for all the reasons that are/have been said elsewhere. Some claim that a single SSD can do it all, but I am not convinced enough that I'll be working a single drive that hard. Besides, why put all your eggs in one basket?
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search