The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Emulating(ish) NS10/MixCubes via EQ... Equalizer Plugins
Old 30th November 2016
Lives for gear

Emulating(ish) NS10/MixCubes via EQ...

It would be incredibly handy (and cheaper) to be able to toggle an EQ on/off to 'see' the mix in a different light, rather than adding physical hardware.

I'm running PMC TwoTwo 8s, PMC Sub 2 and Sonarworks Reference 3 (treated room), and have been considering grabbing some MixCubes or even NS10s for A/B mixing, specifically for the midrange.

How viable is it to emulate—as such—these kinds of speakers via a custom EQ (DMG Equilibrium)?

If it is possible—albeit even roughly—assuming you have a flat EQ (for arguments sake, not empirically), where would you boost, cut and pass?
Old 30th November 2016
Lives for gear

There's actually a built-in simulation of the NS-10 in Sonarworks. This is a much more precise simulation than what you might achieve with a standard EQ like Equilibrium. Having never used NS-10s, I can't really say how well this approximates the feel of mixing with them (there's more to studio monitors than frequency response). As an occasional reference, it's probably fine.
Old 30th November 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkaitkai View Post
There's actually a built-in simulation of the NS-10 in Sonarworks. This is a much more precise simulation than what you might achieve with a standard EQ like Equilibrium. Having never used NS-10s, I can't really say how well this approximates the feel of mixing with them (there's more to studio monitors than frequency response). As an occasional reference, it's probably fine.
How on earth did I miss that! You rock, thanks
Old 1st December 2016
Old 1st December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MERC476 View Post
Looks neat, will demo it - thanks!
Old 1st December 2016
Barefoot also emulates NS10's, as well as Avantones I believe. Not sure how accurate it is.
Old 1st December 2016
Gear Addict

Part of what makes the NS10s and mixcubes work so well and translate is their fast time domain.
Old 1st December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by leckel1996 View Post
Part of what makes the NS10s and mixcubes work so well and translate is their fast time domain.
Tempted to still grab a mixcube for mono testing.
Old 1st December 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Tempted to still grab a mixcube for mono testing.
Do it, they're not only great for testing but actually mixing on.
Old 1st December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabrone View Post
Do it, they're not only great for testing but actually mixing on.
I meant mixing too :-) Will probably pull the trigger today!

Might grab two though, stereo mixing with them could be useful.
Old 1st December 2016
Gear Guru

NS10's and cubes from whatever manufacturer are completely different beasts and useful for entirely different reasons and tasks.

The cubes largely depend on not having a crossover in the mids you are trying to balance, which makes them great for that task, translating to pretty much everything. Also not something you can emulate with eq........
Old 1st December 2016
I'll second Karloff70, it's kind of impossible to emulate with eq - the transient response is just not there. All you get with EQ is the bandwidth limitation and that's just part of the picture.

Having said that, Audified's plug-in gets pretty close. I find useful to check compatibility on mobile phones and TVs.
Old 5th December 2016
Gear Addict

Get the speakers as has been said. The plugins will in one sense bring you farther away from the value of the NS10s as they will pull you farther away, if anything, from the transient accuracy of those units which is a big part of their appeal.
Old 5th December 2016
Lives for gear

Found myself being temped by Amphions!

Grass is always greener in GearLustLand®

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search