The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Using old ipad as another screen!
Old 20th November 2016
Lives for gear

Using old ipad as another screen!

Obligatory "I'm not affiliated with these guys" statement as everyone seems to be on a witch hunt lately . I've always told myself I would get another screen for my apollo console so I could have a dedicated screen for the ProTools Mix and Edit widows separately. I've also been jonesing for a touch screen and have a first generation ipad basically collecting dust, so I started looking for an app that would let me use it as a third screen.

I found one called TwoMon USB and it's well worth the $9.99, now I have my apollo window on a dedicated touch screen! If you're tired of waiting on UA to integrate IOS, this will hold you over!

Old 21st November 2016
Lives for gear

Duet is an app that's been around for a long time that does this.
Old 21st November 2016
I think I have a free/Uber cheap one called airpad that does the same thing.
Old 21st November 2016
Lives for gear

Well, the point was that this one works with the first G1 ipads (IOS 5.1.1). Can you do that with the other apps? A lot of them said ios 8 required...

Last edited by andersmv; 22nd November 2016 at 02:43 AM..
Old 22nd November 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by andersmv View Post
Well, the point was that this one works with the first G1 loads. Can you do that with the other apps? A lot of them said ios 8 required...
Mine works on G2...which is the only iPad I have!
Old 22nd November 2016
Lives for gear

Just for reference sake in case anyone digs this up later. The highest you can update the G1 ipads is 5.1.1 . Duet requires at least 8, I'm not sure how far you could roll back as far as finding an older version. Airpad requires 6.0, so maybe you can update to that IOS with the G2 ipad. I saw airpad, I think it was the only other modern one I could find that would go later than IOS 8.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Old thread, but I’ve got the projet of using an ipad as an external screen (my only tb port is used by my interface, so I can’t use external screen with it - but my usb port is free) and I was minding about the cpu power it takes.
Any insight ?
Any issue worthy to know about with this setup ?
Is it cpu transparent (I use a 2012 MacBook / i7 /16gb of ram) ?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Minimal. Not worth worrying about.

But you can open up Activity Monitor and....monitor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calagan View Post
Old thread, but I’ve got the projet of using an ipad as an external screen (my only tb port is used by my interface, so I can’t use external screen with it - but my usb port is free) and I was minding about the cpu power it takes.
Any insight ?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calagan View Post
Any insight ?
I'm not using that setup anymore, but I never had any CPU issues when using it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisbrown View Post
Minimal. Not worth worrying about.

But you can open up Activity Monitor and....monitor.
Actually I asked because I don't have any ipad under the hand for the moment... I was just minding if the investment was worthy (I will maybe use the ipad for another task : controling an X32 rack mixing desk. I just need to figure out how to sell my 01V96i and buy the X32 with the money).

Thanks for the answers by the way...

If it's truly minimal cpu wise, I will certainly buy one of this tablet second hand somewhere very soon...

Any recomendation about the model (I never used any tablet) ?
Old 4 weeks ago
Dor
Lives for gear

Apple will be adding second screen capabilities to Catalina. https://www.google.com/amp/s/lifehac...1836053578/amp
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search